Paul Posluszny

dave mcbride

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of teams don't have a shut-down corner.

None have a pass-rush as bad as the Bills. NONE. QB's have all day to find the open guy against the Bills.

The 10 sacks was obviously an abberaiton against a truly horrible Redskins offense. Without that game the Bills would be on track for a league record in inept pass-rushing.

Losing Williams and Merriman (and yes, even Kelsay) hurts a lot - but obviously they needed more answers even with those guys. You can say Merriman was a shell of his former self - but look back at those early games - even when he wasn't getting the sack, he was getting pressure, often against double-teaming. That pressure was cutting down the time QB's had to expose the Bills DB's - helping lead to all those (NFL - leading) interceptions.

If OLB isn't the first priority for next year there's a real problem in the front office.

As for offense, they need a real athlete at WR - the guy Easely was supposed to be. That and they need to not get incredibly unlucky yet again keeping the OL healthy. No team can look good on offese w/o a first OR second string OLT able to play. Losing Wood on top of that is just ridiculous.

Good post Bob. Even I, the king of the offensive line complainers, admit that the Bills need pass rush more than anything else.

That said, I am not 100% sold at LT. Hairston is an unproven kid who shows some promise. Bell has proven that he can man the position but he is constantly hurt and may not have what it takes to stay healthy in this brutal football league. Again, I liken him to a poor man's Jonas Jennings from what I have seen. He's a little light in the ass imo.

Pass rushers are hard to get. I hope we can snag Courtney Upshaw, but I really believe that once the combines are over, he will be a top 10 pick. I hope I'm wrong.

Good point. Of course, given our personnel, there's no way we should be playing a 3-4. That's just stupid, and a classic example of a bad defensive coach forcing a preferred scheme on a team that doesn't have the right personnel. But that's a whole 'nother issue.

Well, if this is the scheme they are wanting to run ultimately, you have to start somewhere. Every year they seem to getting more pieces in place to play the 3-4...Carrington is the perfect size to play the "Phil Hansen" role in the 3-4...a big strong RE that can hold up blockers and make the occasional play...

I disagree that it is playing a preferred scheme with bad personnel, not because it isn't currently true, but because they are actively upgrading the personnel to play that scheme. Hopefully by next year, they will have a better DC and enough true 3-4 players on that side of the ball. Meanwhile, the guys that are on the team and will be staying on the team are getting valuable experience playing the 3-4. That way you don't have 11 guys learning a scheme, maybe only 2 or 3...

Again, in my estimation, you have to start somewhere if you plan on implementing a scheme, and as long as you are moving forward with acquiring players to fit that scheme, I am OK with it. If they just tried to run a scheme and got players that didn't fit it, that would be totally different.

Good point. Of course, given our personnel, there's no way we should be playing a 3-4. That's just stupid, and a classic example of a bad defensive coach forcing a preferred scheme on a team that doesn't have the right personnel. But that's a whole 'nother issue.

I couldn't agree more, but Buddy is to blame for hiring an incompetent DC and using a scheme that doesn't fit the players.

It'd be wonderful if we kept our good players *AND* signed more good players.

Instead of forcing good players out, and signing replacements and keeping absolutely ZERO depth behind them so we fall apart when we get a couple injuries.

It's been working for 20 years now!

Well, if this is the scheme they are wanting to run ultimately, you have to start somewhere. Every year they seem to getting more pieces in place to play the 3-4...Carrington is the perfect size to play the "Phil Hansen" role in the 3-4...a big strong RE that can hold up blockers and make the occasional play...

I disagree that it is playing a preferred scheme with bad personnel, not because it isn't currently true, but because they are actively upgrading the personnel to play that scheme. Hopefully by next year, they will have a better DC and enough true 3-4 players on that side of the ball. Meanwhile, the guys that are on the team and will be staying on the team are getting valuable experience playing the 3-4. That way you don't have 11 guys learning a scheme, maybe only 2 or 3...

Again, in my estimation, you have to start somewhere if you plan on implementing a scheme, and as long as you are moving forward with acquiring players to fit that scheme, I am OK with it. If they just tried to run a scheme and got players that didn't fit it, that would be totally different.

you can't say you want to run a 3-4 scheme and then sign Kelsay and Kyle Williams to extensions as neither fits the 3-4. Our run defense will never be good with Kyle Williams as a nose tackle. I think he is a great penetrating DT and would be dominant in 4-3

Lots of teams don't have a shut-down corner.

None have a pass-rush as bad as the Bills. NONE. QB's have all day to find the open guy against the Bills.

The 10 sacks was obviously an abberaiton against a truly horrible Redskins offense. Without that game the Bills would be on track for a league record in inept pass-rushing.

Losing Williams and Merriman (and yes, even Kelsay) hurts a lot - but obviously they needed more answers even with those guys. You can say Merriman was a shell of his former self - but look back at those early games - even when he wasn't getting the sack, he was getting pressure, often against double-teaming. That pressure was cutting down the time QB's had to expose the Bills DB's - helping lead to all those (NFL - leading) interceptions.

If OLB isn't the first priority for next year there's a real problem in the front office.

As for offense, they need a real athlete at WR - the guy Easely was supposed to be. That and they need to not get incredibly unlucky yet again keeping the OL healthy. No team can look good on offese w/o a first OR second string OLT able to play. Losing Wood on top of that is just ridiculous.

right on the money

Of course, its all George Edwards fault, another reason why he has to go. He is also the reason why the offence can't score the last 2 games, he convinced Shanahan not to suspend Lucic this week, he told Gary Bettman that Hulls foot wasn't in the crease, he's the guy who gave Easley the Heart copondition, he convinced the refs that "Homerun Throgh back" was a backwards lateral, and he caused Norwood to kick wide right! Poz, Maybin, Whitner, McKelvin, Troupe, Carrington, Spiller, Mike Williams, all draft busts because of Edwards being a horrible defensive co-ordinator!

Of course, I recognize your post is intended as sarcasm. Even a busted clock tells the right time twice a day, and in my opinion you are right on here.

On another thread, I did a drive-by-drive analysis of NE vs the Jets. What really stood out to me is how INeffective the NE offense was most of the game - after two drives resulting in two field goals, it was 4 and out, 4 and out, 3 and out in the first half. Then it was 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and FG (starting from the NYJ14) in the 2nd half.

The difference? The much-maligned NE defense kept returning the ball to the offense, which eventually "got it together" with a sparkling 7 pass drive at the end of the half and a decent drive late in the 3 Q.

So yes, I know it's sarcasm, but it's also truth: crappy defense strongly contributed to the offense inability to score the last 2 games. We forget in B-lo that even stellar offenses stall and sputter and have multiple 3 and outs and come away with 3 when they should have had 7. They get to be stellar, because they keep getting chances until they finally make it work.

Of course, I recognize your post is intended as sarcasm. Even a busted clock tells the right time twice a day, and in my opinion you are right on here.

On another thread, I did a drive-by-drive analysis of NE vs the Jets. What really stood out to me is how INeffective the NE offense was most of the game - after two drives resulting in two field goals, it was 4 and out, 4 and out, 3 and out in the first half. Then it was 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and FG (starting from the NYJ14) in the 2nd half.

The difference? The much-maligned NE defense kept returning the ball to the offense, which eventually "got it together" with a sparkling 7 pass drive at the end of the half and a decent drive late in the 3 Q.

So yes, I know it's sarcasm, but it's also truth: crappy defense strongly contributed to the offense inability to score the last 2 games. We forget in B-lo that even stellar offenses stall and sputter and have multiple 3 and outs and come away with 3 when they should have had 7. They get to be stellar, because they keep getting chances until they finally make it work.

It sure helps the offence when the defence can keep them in the game while they struggle, but the offence can do the same for a defence too. Its much harder for a defence when every time they are on the field they are forced to have to hold the opponents from doing anything because their offence is just giving the ball back to the other team. If the Bills score on half the posetions they had in the first half of Sundays game, the game goes into the second half as a close game, and not a blow out and the defence has some pressure taken off of themselves from having to be perfect. When the offence can't do anything like the Bills offence has been the last 2 weeks, then it puts even more pressure on the defence to not only play perfect and not give up points, but its also putting alot of pressure on them to force turnovers and try to score points off those turnovers to make up for the inept offence.

These last 2 weeks have been on the offence just as much as the defence, The defence can force as many turnovers or 3 and outs as they can, but if the offence just comes out and goes 3 and out every time, the still won't win the game

you can't say you want to run a 3-4 scheme and then sign Kelsay and Kyle Williams to extensions as neither fits the 3-4. Our run defense will never be good with Kyle Williams as a nose tackle. I think he is a great penetrating DT and would be dominant in 4-3

And I believe Marcel is the the perfect complement to Willams if we play a 4-3 utilizing his strength and seeeenxt toKyle inside.