One Word: Talley

I can't think of a better guy to come up here and talk to this group of players...he played during the rough times (first few years here)and then enjoyed much success with his teammates...never complained about his contract, worked hard, played hard, led the team and most importantly was a leader of men...we need that outspoken attitude back, that hardnosed approach to the game...Barnett is doing a fine job and was a great pick up by the coach/Nix, but Talley could inspire greatness in this team....or would at least provide some levity to the situation (because quite honestly, I think these younger back-ups are looking at each other without any idea how to handle these losses or how to have fun out there).

Hmmmm, let's see...Scott Norwood appreciation day or Daryl Talley...I'll take #56....Putting a call out to Spidey...We need some help brother!!!!!

I agree with the sentiment. Talley obviously loves this organization and wants to get into coaching, so to me it makes perfect sense to have him on the defensive staff in some way, shape or form.

Thanks for posting the YouTube clip, as well. Darryl is a Buffalo Bill to the soul!

He wasn't a big hitter...but watching that video kinda sends a shiver up my spine...I still remember that Raiders game. He was a smart linebacker, made good reads, emotional, and supportive. He wasn't a "killer" like Harrison or Romanowski - but he was reliable, energetic, and had good street smarts (or "field smarts")which converted into fantastic instincts knowing where to be under certain situations. These young guys can be the same way on this team...but they need a gentle kick in the a$$ and some guidance from a guy who has been there.

The Bills need more than someone to "talk" to them. They need talent. Injuries on the o-line have killed them and outside of Dareus they have not infused solid talent on the D in the last two drafts. I'm not trying to say they are all busts just not significant talents.

Talley is a good start.

I wish that Merriman and Williams, despite being on IR, traveled with the team and were on the sidelines for every game.

Seriously?? I didn't realize they weren't on the sidelines for games...if that's the case, I'm very disappointed...the younger guys need that role model there on the sideline to get some guidance or support. I seem to recall the camera panning to KW's face on the sidelines during the Dallas game but maybe that was a mirage.

The Bills need more than someone to "talk" to them. They need talent. Injuries on the o-line have killed them and outside of Dareus they have not infused solid talent on the D in the last two drafts. I'm not trying to say they are all busts just not significant talents.

I'm with you...Barnett has talent, Dareus talent and great potential, G. Wilson talent,

The rest of the active players for the last 4 weeks...average players.

Therefore, in my opinion, we need something to get the most out of the average players we have...hence, some kind of inspirational speaker that can drop an F Bomb on these kids if need be.

Edited by BringBackFergy

He wasn't a big hitter...but watching that video kinda sends a shiver up my spine...I still remember that Raiders game. He was a smart linebacker, made good reads, emotional, and supportive. He wasn't a "killer" like Harrison or Romanowski - but he was reliable, energetic, and had good street smarts (or "field smarts")which converted into fantastic instincts knowing where to be under certain situations. These young guys can be the same way on this team...but they need a gentle kick in the a$$ and some guidance from a guy who has been there.

Kelvin Sheppard would greatly benefit from him...Your description of Talley is exactly was said about Shepp @ LSU.

What I'd like to see is a team that is intrinsically motivated to do well. Though Talley was an all-time great Bill, real football players shouldn't need anything outside their own desire to "earn" the ridiculous money that they're paid. Not even mentioning pride... oops, I guess I did mention pride.

Have I mentioned pride?

I can't think of a better guy to come up here and talk to this group of players...he played during the rough times (first few years here)and then enjoyed much success with his teammates...never complained about his contract, worked hard, played hard, led the team and most importantly was a leader of men...we need that outspoken attitude back, that hardnosed approach to the game...Barnett is doing a fine job and was a great pick up by the coach/Nix, but Talley could inspire greatness in this team....or would at least provide some levity to the situation (because quite honestly, I think these younger back-ups are looking at each other without any idea how to handle these losses or how to have fun out there).

Hmmmm, let's see...Scott Norwood appreciation day or Daryl Talley...I'll take #56....Putting a call out to Spidey...We need some help brother!!!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=nhn9NXCxOQE

It's funny you say that because as I watched the Bills the other day I said to myself "I wish we had someone like Talley on Defense to fire up the troops." I totally agree brother.

Talk ain't gonna help these guys. They need players. And by the looks of things the Bills have gotten really stupid and going back to the 4-3... at least brinign in a 4-3 DE after losing an 3-4 ILB and a guard and filling the other slot with a safety... which makes me wonder if Bryan Scott will be logging time at OLB in a 4-3.

In addition to Tally, get Jim Kelly to be the head coach, Frank Reich to be offensive coordinator and Steve Tasker coach special teams! :doh:

Yeah, what will happen if Bob Griese or Mercury Morris come to talk to the Dolphins? The Dolphins could really be lethal. I mean they could go UNDEFEATED with a good talking to from those guys! The Bills have to be ready to counter that.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

youtube.com/watch?v=nhn9NXCxOQE

Amen brother! My favorite Bill of all time . . . because he was the ultimate TEAM player. Loved to watch him get folks fired up.

I have to agree with some of the posters though, they need more than a pep talk. They need talent.

Yeah, what will happen if Bob Griese or Mercury Morris come to talk to the Dolphins? The Dolphins could really be lethal. I mean they could go UNDEFEATED with a good talking to from those guys! The Bills have to be ready to counter that.

We would counter by getting "Mitch Frerotte" and his hair! We would b unstoppable

Amen brother! My favorite Bill of all time . . . because he was the ultimate TEAM player. Loved to watch him get folks fired up.

I have to agree with some of the posters though, they need more than a pep talk. They need talent.

In a perfect world, yes, by all means we need more talented players....the purpose of the post, however, is not to ask Jim Kelly to coach, or Tasker to oversee special teams (as intimated by others above) - just wish some of these younger guys could spend three hours watching film with Talley because of all the 90's Bills, Talley was the strongest team leader (more so than Bruce, Kelly, Thurman, Odomes, Biscuit, Tasker, Jeff Wright, etc). Kent Hull was a leader and a gentleman...but as for defensive mindedness, Talley could inspire his team....in that respect, Talley would be someone who could at least explain to these guys being a Buffalo Bill is not a job - it should be a lifestyle that doesn't change from game to game or based on what Ron Jaworski says is the prevailing opinion of the team: Being on the Bills should be seen by these guys as a privilege, a badge of honor, and they should play every game with that in mind.

I agree with the sentiment. Talley obviously loves this organization and wants to get into coaching, so to me it makes perfect sense to have him on the defensive staff in some way, shape or form.

Thanks for posting the YouTube clip, as well. Darryl is a Buffalo Bill to the soul!

+1

No thank you, he practically single handedly lost the first Super Bowl game. Sam Cowart was a better LB pre-injury. Conlan and Talley were the most overrated players in Bills history.

Cowart was great as well....as for the other part of your comment, unsure what part of Superbowl you are referring to.....remind me because all I can remember is my fist hitting the floor 300 times when the clock expired.

well hell, if thats the case lets break O.J out of prison so he can talk to spiller :sick::w00t::blink::sick::w00t:

Cowart was great as well....as for the other part of your comment, unsure what part of Superbowl you are referring to.....remind me because all I can remember is my fist hitting the floor 300 times when the clock expired.

Every time he missed a tackle on Anderson or a WR in the flat...He missed at least three easy tackles that kept drives alive for the Giants and our offense off the field. He even admitted it was the worst game of his career at the worst possible time.

Every time he missed a tackle on Anderson or a WR in the flat...He missed at least three easy tackles that kept drives alive for the Giants and our offense off the field. He even admitted it was the worst game of his career at the worst possible time.

I guess he had the balls to say he did't play a perfect game...I tried searching stats for the game and couldn't find them but I assume he did make tackles and made other plays on the ball....if anyone has the stats, please post...looking for tackles (more than three).

I guess he had the balls to say he did't play a perfect game...I tried searching stats for the game and couldn't find them but I assume he did make tackles and made other plays on the ball....if anyone has the stats, please post...looking for tackles (more than three).

Didn't he have 0 tackles in that game? He was a major reason the Bills lost. The left side of the Giant OL basically worked Smith and Talley for most of that game. Still, he had many strong games and was a great player for the team over the course of his career.

Edited by vincec

I can't imagine we would get any worse if you slide Wanny into the DC job and give Talley the vacated LB's coach spot.

Could have huge upside. Wanny might not want the job though with our personnel. Like Chan said, there is no quick fix or we would have already done it. We've been trying to get pass rushers but without them you're defense is bound to fail.

Likewise, when you get ten sacks you get a shutout and your whole team looks amazing.....

We can win with zero sacks per game but we need good pressure without blitzing because we don't have the CB's to handle man coverage like the Jets can.

No thank you, he practically single handedly lost the first Super Bowl game. Sam Cowart was a better LB pre-injury. Conlan and Talley were the most overrated players in Bills history.

Ok, so one defensive player cost us that game? the fact that Parcells made Levy look like he was a Pop Warner coach had nothing to do with it? Come on, the guy missed some tackles sure, but was he the only one? I don't think so. Did the offense play the way it could? No. I don't see how you can call Conlan and Talley the most overrated. Seriously? :blink:

Ok, so one defensive player cost us that game? the fact that Parcells made Levy look like he was a Pop Warner coach had nothing to do with it? Come on, the guy missed some tackles sure, but was he the only one? I don't think so. Did the offense play the way it could? No. I don't see how you can call Conlan and Talley the most overrated. Seriously? :blink:

Agreed. Now that's a new one "Talley singlehandedly lost us the super bowl."

Hmmmm. So if Norwood hits the kick then he singlehandedly WINS it for us?

Talley was, by all accounts one of the best LB's we've ever had. Good in coverage, good pass rusher, high motor, intelligent, prepared, durable, locker room leader, field leader, signal caller.

If anything he was underrated. I can see the Conlan argument a little because he was drafted high and wasn't durable but definitely not Talley.

Agreed. Now that's a new one "Talley singlehandedly lost us the super bowl."

Hmmmm. So if Norwood hits the kick then he singlehandedly WINS it for us?

Talley was, by all accounts one of the best LB's we've ever had. Good in coverage, good pass rusher, high motor, intelligent, prepared, durable, locker room leader, field leader, signal caller.

If anything he was underrated. I can see the Conlan argument a little because he was drafted high and wasn't durable but definitely not Talley.

I think the comment about Talley losing the Superbowl singlehandedly was made to provoke us...there is no way Talley could be blamed for a close game like that and I'm sure if you asked Smith, Wright, Odomes, Kelso, etc. they would deny that was the case as well...one man does not make a defense....but Talley did make a difference athletically and inspirationally. The dude had a heart that wouldn't quit....this team needs some of that right now.

TALLEYYYYYYYYYYY - Get up here now. Ticket waiting for you at Southwest counter in Orlando airport. Please bring some game tape, an attitude, and a few padlocks because I don't want Gailey or Edwards in the room...this is a player problem...motivation, energy and heart. Get to it big boy!!