Sully's article this morning

I'm not sure if the thing is meant to be a stealth parody. I don't see the article posted online yet but I will add it when I find it.

In it, he talks about Spiller being a bust, which has some merit, but promptly provides legitimate reasons for a lack of products while stating that they are illegitimate.

Let's face it: Spiller has not had too many yards. He also hasn't had that many touches.

On Sunday he was given two, for five yards. Let's admit here people, that's not much and it certainly wasn't because Fred Jackson was playing amazingly well.

Sully also talks about how Spiller hasn't been let into the spread, but when he did last game he thrived.

In short, I personally think that the only way to get more production out of Spiller is to let him touch the football a few times on O.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if the thing is meant to be a stealth parody. I don't see the article posted online yet but I will add it when I find it.

In it, he talks about Spiller being a bust, which has some merit, but promptly provides legitimate reasons for a lack of products while stating that they are illegitimate.

Let's face it: Spiller has not had too many yards. He also hasn't had that many touches.

On Sunday he was given two, for five yards. Let's admit here people, that's not much and it certainly wasn't because Fred Jackson was playing amazingly well.

Sully also talks about how Spiller hasn't been let into the spread, but when he did last game he thrived.

In short, I personally think that the only way to get more production out of Spiller is to let him touch the football a few times on O.

Both the Bills HC and their OC disagree with you.

If Gailey had complete trust in Spiller he would find more ways to get him involved in the offense. Maybe Spiller was hurt by the lack of an offseason where more plays exploiting his skills could have been installed. I think Gailey has shown the willingness to insert any player who can produce. For whatever reasons Spiller's skills have not translated well to the NFL. It may be a bit early to call him a bust but he certainly was not worth a high first round pick.

His article has merit: either cj's a bust or we're using him incorrectly.

In yesterday's presser, Gailey all but admitted he underestimated Freddie's ability. He said something like (on the draft) "we thought we had a need" and "it's hard to get him touches when it means taking out a guy like Fred"

No one is perfect. He didn't recognize the talents of Fitz and Fred, but at least he quickly admits his mistakes and moves on.

I find my life is far less complicated when I completely ignore Sullivan's articles. Every day he is still employed as a "journalist" at the Buffalo News is a surprise. There are 5, maybe 6 people on this board alone that start more interesting and readable threads than Sullivan. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if his next article starts ripping Ryan Fitzpatrick, or rehashes the Maybin debacle, or some jab at Chan Gailey. See, what he does is pick someone within the organization that people are really behind, or have high hopes for, then criticizes something that he knows will get a rise out of that fan base. it's hack journalism 101. If good, well thought out articles about the state of the Buffalo Bills are what you'd like to read, may I suggest www.buffalorumblings.com and let sullivan's hack/blog fodder irritate someone else.

Exactly.

Sullivan did not like this pick from the beginning. The fact is that Spiller was a great player in college. Nevertheless, Fred Jackson is playing about as well as any back in the league. Does that mean Spiller? When Sullivan asked about Spiller (in what I believe was the first question of the post game press conference), Chan said it was not Spiller's fault that he is not playing. The fact is that Fred is playing very, very well.

They only play the game with one ball.

PTR

I find my life is far less complicated when I completely ignore Sullivan's articles. Every day he is still employed as a "journalist" at the Buffalo News is a surprise. There are 5, maybe 6 people on this board alone that start more interesting and readable threads than Sullivan. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if his next article starts ripping Ryan Fitzpatrick, or rehashes the Maybin debacle, or some jab at Chan Gailey. See, what he does is pick someone within the organization that people are really behind, or have high hopes for, then criticizes something that he knows will get a rise out of that fan base. it's hack journalism 101. If good, well thought out articles about the state of the Buffalo Bills are what you'd like to read, may I suggest www.buffalorumblings.com and let sullivan's hack/blog fodder irritate someone else.

Agreed 100%. Stopped reading him after I quickly realized he provides no insight or original thinking. All of his writing is based on hindsight. He only criticizes and picks on past mistakes. Anyone can do that. It's the easiest form of sports writing. And it can be done with EVERY team in EVERY sport.

I'll take a Bill from NYC or R.Rich game summary over Sully's drivel, every time.

Agreed 100%. Stopped reading him after I quickly realized he provides no insight or original thinking. All of his writing is based on hindsight. He only criticizes and picks on past mistakes. Anyone can do that. It's the easiest form of sports writing. And it can be done with EVERY team in EVERY sport.

I'll take a Bill from NYC or R.Rich game summary over Sully's drivel, every time.

To be fair, Sullivan has been consistently critical of the Spiller pick, from day one. I am a big fan of Gailey, but, I think the criticism is valid that it appears that the Bills aren't likings something about Spiller, or Chan is failing, as a coach, to find a way to use him. It won't be long before Spiller (and Brad Smith for rthat matter) are looking like luxury items the Bills didn't really need.

It is odd that Spiller spent two weeks as a receiver, and the second Donald Jones was healthy, Spiller had no role in the offense, once again. I am inclined, at this point, to pin this on the coaches. From the little we have seen, it seemed like he has shown some ability. Would have really liked to see if Spillers speed could have been utilized this past Sunday, as wide-out.

Last time they tried to give CJ more touches, Freddie threw a tantrum because he was being disrespected by not being the starter

Theres no reason why they can't find CJ more ways to get the ball and see what he can do with it

I still wouldn't call him a bust yet, but this is Buffalo, where if you haven't produced by the time your name is called in the draft (or you weren't the guy the fans wanted), you are a bust already

Last time they tried to give CJ more touches, Freddie threw a tantrum because he was being disrespected by not being the starter

Theres no reason why they can't find CJ more ways to get the ball and see what he can do with it

I still wouldn't call him a bust yet, but this is Buffalo, where if you haven't produced by the time your name is called in the draft (or you weren't the guy the fans wanted), you are a bust already

I was going to say somehting similar, but I wasn't sure if it was wise to "go there". :lol:

I was going to say somehting similar, but I wasn't sure if it was wise to "go there". :lol:

I was going to say something similar as well. I wonder of Chan is scared to give it to Spiller more just so that he doesn't upset Freddie. I love Jackson and what he's done for this team but he needs to realize it's for the good of the team to get other playmakers the ball on occassion.