Mort reports tremendous progress for Fitz contract

FluffHead

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You always like to hear something happen for the good guys, the guys who have never had a big paycheck. Right now Ryan Fitzpatrick is on his bye week, I think when he comes back next week he will see tremendous progress between the Bills on a contract, and that contract won't pay him what those elite quarterbacks make, but there's a 2nd tier of QBs averaging between 9 and 12 million dollars per year, and if they can nail down a last few things I think Ryan Fitzpatrick signs a new contract next week and gets that deal somewhere between 9 and 12 million per year." -Mort

Edited by Carey Bender

"You always like to hear something happen for the good guys, the guys who have never had a big paycheck. Right now Ryan Fitzpatrick is on his bye week, I think when he comes back next week he will see tremendous progress between the Bills on a contract, and that contract won't pay him what those elite quarterbacks make, but there's a 2nd tier of QBs averaging between 9 and 12 million dollars per year, and if they can nail down a last few things I think Ryan Fitzpatrick signs a new contract next week and gets that deal somewhere between 9 and 12 million per year." -Mort

Thanks for the quote. This is good news.

I still think the Bills should have waited another 4 weeks before making a big commitment

What would change between then and now besides Fitz being 4 weeks closer to free agency and perhaps deciding to wait & see would he could get on the open market?

What would change between then and now besides Fitz being 4 weeks closer to free agency and perhaps deciding to wait & see would he could get on the open market?

we've been burned before by early-season success, that's why. I think some people hate the idea of locking Fitz up, but then we witness an epic second half collapse.

we've been burned before by early-season success, that's why. I think some people hate the idea of locking Fitz up, but then we witness an epic second half collapse.

Nothing is ever guaranteed. At some point you have to pull the trigger.

Sounds very speculative than definitive to me.

Either way, I hope this gets done. Fitz has earned it. I still don't know if Fitz can get us a Super Bowl championship, but I do think he can help bring an end to the playoff drought.

Sounds very speculative than definitive to me.

Either way, I hope this gets done. Fitz has earned it. I still don't know if Fitz can get us a Super Bowl championship, but I do think he can help bring an end to the playoff drought.

Agreed.

It's a good contract if it's indeed in that range. It makes a firm commitment to Fitz as the QB of this team while giving them the freedom to bring in the QB of the future to be groomed under him at some point in the near future. And the contract isn't so huge that it would be all that damaging to the team's cap position if Fitz ends up not being the long term answer.

Its basically irrelevant, NFL contracts are not guaranteed, the only that matters is how much bonus money they pay him up front

Edited by matter2003

Anybody have current QB contract numbers? When the contract was signed, how many years & how much $$$. 12 mil per year seems on the high side.

Not sure how authoritative this site is, but FWIW:

http://sportsfeens.com/nfl-quarterback-salaries/nfl-quarterback-salaries/

The top 5 quarterbacks in the NFL make an average of $20 million dollars a year. The Eagles franchised Michael Vick today guaranteeing him a salary of at least $20 million dollars for the NFL season. The Colts have just franchise tagged Peyton Manning and have plans on making him the highest paid quarterback in the NFL. Let’s take a look at the highest paid quarterbacks.

Player 2011 Salary

Peyton Manning $23 million dollars * estimated salary

Michael Vick Approx. $20 million dollars *estimated salary

Mark Sanchez $14.75 million dollars

Ben Roethlisberger $14.75 million dollars

Carson Palmer $14 million dollars

Tom Brady $13 million dollars

Matt Stafford $12 million dollars

Matt Ryan $11.25 million dollars

Philip Rivers $11.2 million dollars

Tony Romo $11 million dollars

Eli Manning $10 million dollars

Jay Cutler $9 million dollars

Aaron Rodgers $8.25 million dollars

Drew Brees $7.3 million dollars

Matt Schaub $6.8 million dollars

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Its basically irrelevant, NFL contracts are not guaranteed, the only that matters is how much bonus money they pay him up front

This.

Man, a couple weeks ago, the drumbeat on TSW was "Pay Fitz... or this franchise is bush league." Now that there is news they might pay him, people are already climbing up on their ladders ready to defecate all over the contract. Some people are never happy....

Being burned by "early-season success" once since 1996 is hardly an excuse to not lock up Fitz.

Very good news but I like others am still a little skeptical. Fitz can definitely lead us, great guy and tough player. My fear is we don’t lock up Stevie and Freddie. Stevie and Fitz have big time chemistry and if he hits the market, meaning Stevie J., I don’t think Fitz will be the same or our offense. Freddy, is an ABSOLUTE must to lock up. Throw a 4 year deal at him. If he tires after 2, then make a decision but right now, he's playing like the MVP of the league.

Point is all 3 of these guys are the backbone of the Franchise and are leading us in a direction we haven't seen in a while folks. We have the money so I am ok with the proposed 9 to 12 mil per. We need all 3 and we need them locked up NOW!!!

GO BILLS