Is it just me or does the playcalling seem misguided

Since 1972

Most here seem to think Chan is the man. I am often left wondering about his playcalling at what usually seems to be critical points in the game.

Maybe Chan&Buddy are the answer, but ,frankly, I'm not sure they would have the jobs they within any other NFL team.

First in afce, was nice while it lasted!

Most here seem to think Chan is the man. I am often left wondering about his playcalling at what usually seems to be critical points in the game.

Maybe Chan&Buddy are the answer, but ,frankly, I'm not sure they would have the jobs they within any other NFL team.

We've seen the Bills score a bazillion points over their first 6 games, including in crucial situations.

Maybe everything is relative to Jauron, but I'm pretty pleased with the playcalling.

We've seen the Bills score a bazillion points over their first 6 games, including in crucial situations.

Maybe everything is relative to Jauron, but I'm pretty pleased with the playcalling.

The play calling is fine to me also. Chan was not conservative at the end of the game, and the Bills paid with the INT. Fitz is under-throwing a few more of passes lately. That worries me more than the play calling.

Edited by buffaloaggie

I know that it won't be a popular opinion here, but Gailey needs to let Fitzpatrick throw the ball deep again. If not for the two gigantic TD plays, we'd be talking about how predictable this offense has become and how defenses have caught up to them.

The Bills are nothing but quick slants, screens and runs up the middle. That well has dried up. They need to trust in and let Fitzpatrick throw it deep to the WRs/Spiller/Chandler. There are way to many defenders bunching up the Bills from 10 yards in. Luckily they have two weeks to practice the vertical dimension which if successful, should open everything up and make our offense dangerous again.

I know that it won't be a popular opinion here, but Gailey needs to let Fitzpatrick throw the ball deep again. If not for the two gigantic TD plays, we'd be talking about how predictable this offense has become and how defenses have caught up to them.

This has kindof baffled me. Fitz was throwing deep quite a bit in the first 4 games. then these last 2 we've gone back to almost a DJ passing game. All short passes with many of them to guys standing still. Even throwing a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 6. Would seem to me that Fred having so much success would cause the secondary to come in thus opening up the long ball.

Maybe Coach Gailey has lost confidence in Fitz throwing long? Not sure why. Maybe it's just a change in game plan to take advantage of something else? Not sure.

It's you.

As for Chan letting Fitz throw it deep, he did, plenty of times. Fitz was sacked twice looking to go downfield, and threw 2 picks on deep balls. Keep reaching though.

Throwing it deep to Chandler....LOL. As if he has the speed to separate from defenders, Nelson runs the TE vertical routes in spread sets. There's a reason he's only good in the redzone.

All the short passes, 3-5 step drops are due to the OT situation as well. If you want to see what this offense is capable of in a 7 step game, well, you'll be ripping your eyes out by half. Pears is a turnstile, and we had a rookie 4th rounder playing LT. The slants Steve runs set up his deep game, just look at the back shoulder throw TD he caught after faking the slant and bending it back to the outside, he destroyed Webster because of the slant.

I'm not sure what some of you watch.

Edited by bouds

This has kindof baffled me. Fitz was throwing deep quite a bit in the first 4 games. then these last 2 we've gone back to almost a DJ passing game. All short passes with many of them to guys standing still. Even throwing a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 6. Would seem to me that Fred having so much success would cause the secondary to come in thus opening up the long ball.

Maybe Coach Gailey has lost confidence in Fitz throwing long? Not sure why. Maybe it's just a change in game plan to take advantage of something else? Not sure.

Eagles have tremendous DBs so why throw into them? Yesterday maybe the gusty winds were a factor for not airing it out.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Only one play I'd call different, 3rd and short instead of going into a closed formation (short yardage-goal line type) I'd have sent in Brad Smith to convert those 3rd and shorts. Or simply keep running plays out of a spread, QB sneak comes to mind.

Seems like the TE is the forgotten man after week 3, dunno why.

Anyway like others have stated the offense is fine considering all the injuries, its the defensive sieve I am concerned about.

Yes, the playcalling does seem misguided most of the time. If we're talking about our defense.

After so many years of watching crappy offenses, I am more than happy with Chan's playcalling. He can't be right all the time nor can he control execution.

With numbers like that you would think the Bills would be undefeated?

Defense is awful, right near the bottom or at the bottom in all the critical categories except turnovers.

We've lost two games by a total of 6 points.

Rankings through week 6:

Scoring = #2

Sacks Allowed = #1

Rushing Yards = #4

Total Yards = #9

Red Zone Scoring = #1

Yeah, I think I'm OK with this year's play-calling.

No, the play-calling is horrible because now that we score so many points we need to score EVERY SINGLE TIME and we have to run the ball NO MATTER WHAT. Passing is always a bad idea even if you run a spread offense. I think it needs to be understood that playcalling should be safer and more conservative when the game is on the line and you need to hope that you can get one more yard when you need it, because it's hard to win in the NFL...

It's you.

I think it's just you...Gailey took the "no name" offense and made into a pretty dangerous squad... Yeah Fitz missed on a few critical passes last week, but other than that our offense has been hitting on all cylinders. Actually I can't remember the last time the play calling was this good on offense.

Now the defensive play calling on the other hand....they need draw up some blitzes....

With numbers like that you would think the Bills would be undefeated?

Cue the defensive stats...

I usually hate the "what if" conversations. But the Bills are just a few defensive plays away from being undefeated. The turnovers have been great, but other than that we can't stop people.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

the play calling the last 3 weeks has slightly differed from what was being used earlier in the season. i know that the game plan has to evolve, but why put it all on the offense. the defense has to actually show up to a game they can't rely on getting turn overs alone. (though they help quite a bit). i would prefer to see a more aggressive pass rush like the one used against the eagles.

Played two good pass rushing d lines.

Knew his oline was beaten up and had to get the ball out quick?

Its you. The play calling was fine and going for the kill late in the game is just what this team needs. The last few weeks we let teams back into the game. We need to learn how to put a team away when you have them down. Chan was trying to do just that.

Its you. The play calling was fine and going for the kill late in the game is just what this team needs. The last few weeks we let teams back into the game. We need to learn how to put a team away when you have them down. Chan was trying to do just that.

+1 I like the killer mentality of our head coach. If Fitz made the throw, he would have been a hero (Chan and Fitz). Ive always like Gaileys offensive mind and would rather have him calling and designing plays than Vanilla Dick (Jauron). Yea maybe we could have ran the ball, but the Giants were man on the outside and Chan got the look he needed and Fitz threw an anchor. Despite Jacksons 80 yard run, we didnt move the defense off the ball well to depend on the rush. Very physical defense. The two games we've lost has been to 2 great Ds.

Yeah dont play smart -play brutal

It's just you. Yes any bum off the street from other NFL teams would have the Bills at 5-1 or 6-0. Losing 2 games by a FG with this squad, I think Gailey deserves a little more credit than you're giving him.

The last two weeks this team has played opponents with a fierce pass rush or high percentage of blitzing...The team was forced to take 3 step drops and make the quick throws.