The last book that made you...

really think?

For me its the Alchemist. Tremendous book if you haven't read it. I'm looking for another book that makes you think, any suggestions?

If your an old fart like me..this is a book I enjoyed tremendously. If you a youngin..just read to see what you will think about when you get there

http://www.amazon.com/Running-Mountain-Adventure-Jon-Katz/dp/0767904982/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318455566&sr=1-1

read it as well, haha....ive pretty much exhausted the "Classics" of the genre...reading more modern stuff now...appreciate the effort though

What would you recommend re. 'modern' post apocalyptic reading. Please, no zombies.

What would you recommend re. 'modern' post apocalyptic reading. Please, no zombies.

if you havent read them yet, the "Deep Winter" Series by Thomas Sherry is pretty great...its a trilogy...Deep Winter, Remnant and Shatter (I cant recall their order though, google it haha) - a man and his family deal with the "end of the modern world" b/c of disasters/war etc....fairly realistic

also, one of my fave. was "Patriots" by a guy named Rawles...very good as well - group of survival friends buy and stock a "retreat" in Idaho, and when TSHTF they bug out to there, very cool

if you have already read those let me know, i know loads : )

(also if you havent read or seen the movie, The Road by Cormac Mccarthy is a dark portrayal for sure, but im sure your familiar)

ooohh ohhh, also "The Jakarta Pandemic" - Steven Konkoly - family/mostly father, deals with what happens in their community when flu overtakes the world, excellently written book

if you havent read them yet, the "Deep Winter" Series by Thomas Sherry is pretty great...its a trilogy...Deep Winter, Remnant and Shatter (I cant recall their order though, google it haha) - a man and his family deal with the "end of the modern world" b/c of disasters/war etc....fairly realistic

also, one of my fave. was "Patriots" by a guy named Rawles...very good as well - group of survival friends buy and stock a "retreat" in Idaho, and when TSHTF they bug out to there, very cool

if you have already read those let me know, i know loads : )

(also if you havent read or seen the movie, The Road by Cormac Mccarthy is a dark portrayal for sure, but im sure your familiar)

ooohh ohhh, also "The Jakarta Pandemic" - Steven Konkoly - family/mostly father, deals with what happens in their community when flu overtakes the world, excellently written book

McCarthy has some real good stuff out there - just finished blood meridian but that's a bit old west horror show.

Just finished Morning Spy, Evening Spy.

Props to the author for creating characters based in reality and eschewing the tired formula of typical spy thrillers.

Great lead up to 9/11 and how/why the intelligence community may have been a step behind the game.

Infinite Jest.

You'll thank me later.

:lol:

That's just a mean thing to do to a fella.

Think? I guess the one that grabbed my attention this summer was The Emperor of All Maladies, A biography of Cancer by Dr. Mukherjee. Interesting Buffalo connection with Dr. Faber and his work.

Makes you think how even the best meaning government interference with research can have very negative consequences.

excellent book, love post-apocolyptic fiction, favorite genre...

I get enough apocalyptic writing just reading TSW.

I recommend "Bigfoot War". More a novella (i.e. a short read), and more horror than apocalyptic...and "good" only in that it's such completely gratuitous and silly over-the-top stupidity that it turns out to be rather entertaining in an "I can't believe I'm reading this crap" sense.

Agreed. I tried a couple times, but I couldn't get very far. I love the D.F. Wallace essays, but his fiction is an exercise in frustration to me.

It was in my last order.... I've heard a mixed bag. I haven't sat down with it yet. I'm a bit worried now haha

I recommend "Bigfoot War". More a novella (i.e. a short read), and more horror than apocalyptic...and "good" only in that it's such completely gratuitous and silly over-the-top stupidity that it turns out to be rather entertaining in an "I can't believe I'm reading this crap" sense.

I just read this. I completely agree with your review. It's totally shallow and gratuitous, but he describes the action sequences (and that's the majority of the text) well enough to keep from putting it down.

I love the flimsy device of the sheriff insisting that they don't seek help outside their small town even though everyone is being slaughtered. They're apparently too embarrassed to admit they have a sasquatch infestation problem. They'd rather handle it themselves. :lol:

Well- I started.... So far enjoyable. Check back in 3 months and we will see what I say haha

I'm kind of tempted to start it (Infinite Jest) up again myself. When I read a summary or review of it, it really appeals to me. I just need to carve out some time to dedicate myself to really digging in.

Edited by gringo starr

I'm kind of tempted to start it (Infinite Jest) up again myself. When I read a summary or review of it, it really appeals to me. I just need to carve out some time to dedicate myself to really digging in.

If you take another run at it I'll be mightily impressed. I got about 100 pages deep in what will be my first and only run through it.

I was sort of thinking of starting a pool on how far No Saint gets before he chucks it out a window. He seems like a pretty patient guy so I was going to put my e-money on the 140 page mark.