A Few Thoughts About The Game

1) If I was a General Manager of an NFL team, I would keep the contract status of David Nelson in my sights. This kid is a clutch player! It's as if he lulls you to sleep and then bangs you over the head. Yes, I am very high on him and what he brings to this football team.

2) Moorman is driving me crazy. A part of me feels as if he is on the way down, but he still is who he is. Kudos to you Brian.

3) I knew that Brad Smith would deliver. And I know that he has a lot more to contribute. I think that gadget players for the most part are a waste of money, but not Brad Smith. He is going to win us football games. I am sure of this.

4) OK, speaking of Brad Smith, did anyone else catch the block by Wood on that play? He was a flat out monster. I have never seen him make a play like that since he was drafted. If he can keep it going, he will be an integral part of this football team.

5) Fred Jackson has become a true leader of the Buffalo Bills. He ran over and praised his blockers on the sideline after his 1st quarter TD. You see, I love that s*-t.

6) Unlikely heros? How about Carrington and Reggie Corner? On that pick in the first quarter, Carrington got his arms up and deflected the football. It was wonderful. And Corner showed a ton of concentration and coordination to make that play. That my friends is how to win football games. It isn't all about about superstars. The 2011 Buffalo Bills Football Team is proof of this.

7) Let's talk about Chris Hairston for a moment, shall we? He is the complete opposite of Bell. Serioulsy. ON the TD run by Jackson in the first quarter, he completely engulfed the defender AND pushed him to the right. It was beautiful. Call me crazy, but I live for plays like that. :) BUT, Bell is much more agile. I thought that Hairston would require MUCH more help than he got. Can he be a prominent NFL LT? It's tough to say, but I will go out on a limb and state that this kid can play football. His mechanics say RT, but who knows?

8) Fitz? He managed the game quite well, and it is hard to not love the guy.

9) Chan Gailey? In 5 weeks he has managed to out-coach Belichick and Andy Reid. This says a ton and Chan, I offer you my thanks. I really wish he could read this.

10) Barnett or Poz? You tell me lol!

11) Sure, Vick did his time. I understand this. But the sadistic side of me was absolutely loving it when he was hobbling around the sidelines due to nice hits by Bullalo Bills football players. F U Vick!!!

12) OK, he we go.....Are we playing over our heads? Perhaps. Are we going to beat the Giants on the road? I don't have a freaking clue. But, the bye would seem to be coming at the right time both for the team and Bills fans. I want this football team to make the playoffs. If anything is a given, Bills Fans deserve this. Thanks to all for being a part of this adventure. We are in this thing together, and for keeps.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. Thanks as always, Bill.

Fitzy's QB rating right now is 96.5. Love that guy.

I'm just hoping the injuries don't start piling up. We're starting to drop, and it's worrying me.

11) Sure, Vick did his time. I understand this. But the sadistic side of me was absolutely loving it when he was hobbling around the sidelines due to nice hits by Bullalo Bills football players. F U Vick!!!

My delight from watching Vick getting pounded week after week is his Ego. He was demure and humble last season. He's been back to his jack***, whiny self this year. He will get yards and accolades, but there is a reason his teams end up losers.

Way to spend 100 million, Iggles.

9) Chan Gailey? In 5 weeks he has managed to out-coach Belichick and Andy Reid. This says a ton and Chan, I offer you my thanks. I really wish he could read this.

And even more amazing is that Gailey manages to come up with complicated game plans despite being illiterate. ;)

My delight from watching Vick getting pounded week after week is his Ego. He was demure and humble last season. He's been back to his jack***, whiny self this year. He will get yards and accolades, but there is a reason his teams end up losers.

Remember the line, ""You can't design a defense to stop me"" yea right, tell that to George Wilson and Nick Barnett :nana:http://www.yardbarke...stop_me/6522208

But yea,i agree Bill. I applaud what Gailey has done with the play calling, schemes, technique and mostly this offense doesn't look like it went 4-12 last season, they look like they have been doing this forever, very few mistakes and mental blunders like we saw at the end of the game in the Eagles.

This team is tough, both mentally and physically and for the most part they don't look like a young team filled a lot of new players.

I gotta mention George Wilson, he was everywhere.:worthy:

I am still concerned about the Bills inability to run to control the clock when needed, or running out of a short yardage situation. Both the Bengals and Eagles seemed to dominate the LoS in the 4th QTR when the Bills needed to make first downs. I don't see the Bills getting 5+ turnovers every game

Agree with your thoughts, Bill. The most frustrating thing about this game were the MULTIPLE holding/block in the back penalties not called against Philly -- particularly on their three biggest plays (Vick's and McCoy's long runs, and DeSean's TD).

I've been watching the NFL for a long time and yes, I know the saying is that you could call holding on every play -- but this was ridiculous.

Philly's OL was completely overmatched and they were mugging the Bills.

That said -- :censored: you, Philly. Enjoy hockey season, because your football team is in the toilet and your baseball team crapped the bed as well.

Go Bills!!

What, because the rest of his team isn't very good? You can't blame this loss on Vick - he played well. Every interception was CAUSED by the Bills horrible porous defense - Vick could not have prevented them in any way. In fact, I'm not sure you can blame any losses on Vick. In fact, Vick is the only good thing the Eagles have going for them. Just because you hate the guy doesn't make him less of a player.

The same is true when he played for the Falcons...he was the team. Period. Proof? He goes to prison, the Falcons fall apart, their coach leaves mid season, they flounder like...well...the Falcons.

Oh no..this loss was not on Vick. For all the criticism, a majority of the credit for the Bills win goes squarely to their defense.

Remember the line, ""You can't design a defense to stop me"" yea right, tell that to George Wilson and Nick Barnett :nana:http://www.yardbarke...stop_me/6522208

But yea,i agree Bill. I applaud what Gailey has done with the play calling, schemes, technique and mostly this offense doesn't look like it went 4-12 last season, they look like they have been doing this forever, very few mistakes and mental blunders like we saw at the end of the game in the Eagles.

This team is tough, both mentally and physically and for the most part they don't look like a young team filled a lot of new players.

I gotta mention George Wilson, he was everywhere.:worthy:

I am still concerned about the Bills inability to run to control the clock when needed, or running out of a short yardage situation. Both the Bengals and Eagles seemed to dominate the LoS in the 4th QTR when the Bills needed to make first downs. I don't see the Bills getting 5+ turnovers every game

Technically, it wasn't anything in the Bills game design that stopped Vick. It was flat out superiority of our athletes versus their athletes. Vick could not stand in the pocket and throw without getting pressured, and he was battered all game long (again). They couldn't run the ball to take the pressure off Vick (other than what Vick contributed on the ground himself). Their defense was pretty bad for large chunks of the game. Seriously, blaming it on Vick strikes me as incredibly ignorant.

4) OK, speaking of Brad Smith, did anyone else catch the block by Wood on that play? He was a flat out monster. I have never seen him make a play like that since he was drafted. If he can keep it going, he will be an integral part of this football team.

Wood mauled a couple Iggles on he play but McIntyre absolutetly devastated his guy, clearing the lane for Smith.

I'm concerned about injuries at WR. Jones' loss will be felt.

Agree with your thoughts, Bill. The most frustrating thing about this game were the MULTIPLE holding/block in the back penalties not called against Philly -- particularly on their three biggest plays (Vick's and McCoy's long runs, and DeSean's TD).

I've been watching the NFL for a long time and yes, I know the saying is that you could call holding on every play -- but this was ridiculous.

Philly's OL was completely overmatched and they were mugging the Bills.

That said -- :censored: you, Philly. Enjoy hockey season, because your football team is in the toilet and your baseball team crapped the bed as well.

Go Bills!!

As a Braves fan, I truly enjoy my annual "Phillies early post-season exit" celebration.

3) I knew that Brad Smith would deliver. And I know that he has a lot more to contribute. I think that gadget players for the most part are a waste of money, but not Brad Smith. He is going to win us football games. I am sure of this.

I can't agree with this. I think that Smith has done very little since he came here. The team is in desperate need of WR help but Smith, who is taking up a WR spot, can't even make a catch. He has stunk on special teams, which were supposed to be his specialty. And frankly, he has been mediocre in the "wildcat". I don't see him do anything out of that formation that Fred Jackson (or maybe even Spiller) couldn't do better. At this point, Gailey is using him correctly: two or three plays per game just to keep the opposition working on wildcat defense during the week. That's about it.

I can't agree with this. I think that Smith has done very little since he came here. The team is in desperate need of WR help but Smith, who is taking up a WR spot, can't even make a catch. He has stunk on special teams, which were supposed to be his specialty. And frankly, he has been mediocre in the "wildcat". I don't see him do anything out of that formation that Fred Jackson (or maybe even Spiller) couldn't do better. At this point, Gailey is using him correctly: two or three plays per game just to keep the opposition working on wildcat defense during the week. That's about it.

They have got to get Smith throw a pass from the wildcat to really burn a defense. They load up 10 in the box now for the wildcat formation.

Those are harsh words. I thought he played good after taking alot of hits in the first half ( hard hits that he is feeling this morning ). He showed toughness and grit and had a chance to win the game.

His dog incident still makes him an ahole but to say that he didnt play well in the second half is just outright wrong. He gave the game in the first half and his team gave the game away in the second.

1) If I was a General Manager of an NFL team, I would keep the contract status of David Nelson in my sights. This kid is a clutch player! It's as if he lulls you to sleep and then bangs you over the head. Yes, I am very high on him and what he brings to this football team.

2) Moorman is driving me crazy. A part of me feels as if he is on the way down, but he still is who he is. Kudos to you Brian.

5) Fred Jackson has become a true leader of the Buffalo Bills. He ran over and praised his blockers on the sideline after his 1st quarter TD. You see, I love that s*-t.

6) Unlikely heros? How about Carrington and Reggie Corner? On that pick in the first quarter, Carrington got his arms up and deflected the football. It was wonderful. And Corner showed a ton of concentration and coordination to make that play. That my friends is how to win football games. It isn't all about about superstars. The 2011 Buffalo Bills Football Team is proof of this.

7) Let's talk about Chris Hairston for a moment, shall we? He is the complete opposite of Bell. Serioulsy. ON the TD run by Jackson in the first quarter, he completely engulfed the defender AND pushed him to the right. It was beautiful. Call me crazy, but I live for plays like that. :) BUT, Bell is much more agile. I thought that Hairston would require MUCH more help than he got. Can he be a prominent NFL LT? It's tough to say, but I will go out on a limb and state that this kid can play football. His mechanics say RT, but who knows?

12) OK, he we go.....Are we playing over our heads? Perhaps. Are we going to beat the Giants on the road? I don't have a freaking clue. But, the bye would seem to be coming at the right time both for the team and Bills fans. I want this football team to make the playoffs. If anything is a given, Bills Fans deserve this. Thanks to all for being a part of this adventure. We are in this thing together, and for keeps.

Gailey saw ARC and Asomougha in their secondary and decided to attack with Freddie and short passes and screens all day. Loving how each week, they're something different, custom tailored to the opponent. This O isn't going to be the same thing twice.

Since you brought it up, what is David Nelson's contract length? The gameplan didn't revolve around the WRs today, given the givens, but Nelson is clutch if the ball is anywhere near his wheelhouse.

You're not wrong, Bill. Moorman has been on the decline. I respect what he's been to this franchise and what he does in the community, but the NFL is what you do consistently on the field. Boots like the one downed at the 2 have been few and far between the past few years. Moorman's game peaked in 2006-7 and he's lost his touch. He's had way too many touchbacks when he's been in prime pin-down position. Just like you shouldn't judge a guy based on a shank, it's also horrible to judge him on a 50-yarder downed at the 2. I would love if Moorman could perform consistently, but I fear those days are over. If someone can hold kicks in TC next year, I think it's time to shake hands and part ways.

Brad Smith getting antsy and taking the KO out of the EZ very nearly screwed this team. Appreciate his 3rd/4th-and-short abilities, but you've gotta play smart football. There's not enough margin in the game to be forcing something that's not there.

George Wilson doesn't get any love? What's a guy gotta do to get noticed in Bill's 'Few Thoughts'? :o As I noted in the Shoutbox during the game, I think Wilson made more plays in the first half than Donte Whitner made in any season. The defense hasn't changed that drastically so as to totally discount any comparison. DW was a liability back there. Yet another fail from the Levy-Jauron era (Marv really ruined his reputation there). At least it's been corrected.

Love that it appears we've got a decent depth guy at OT when Bell returns... if Hairston hasn't played Bell out of a job by then. Not too bad of a first start for the rookie.

As a true "dog person" it warmed the cockles of my heart to see Vick limping. IIRC, he had a personal role in murdering over 40 dogs. Two years in prison and now he's right back where he was? Justice is blind, deaf, dumb and easily purchased.

All in all, this was a TEAM WIN. Eeked it out, but we'll take it!!!

If "mediocre" means make first downs and score a TD, then I agree Smith has been mediocre.

Disagree a bunch! Not sure what your expectations are for the wildcat, but it has been successful 80% of the time . . . first downs, touchdown yesterday. Now, if you expect a Homerun every time, well, then I would suggest to be a bit more realistic.

And as far as him taking a WR spot, he is also a back-up QB, special teams player, and WR. That argument is thin. I think his role will continue to grow. Not sure its fair to be down on him yet.

George Wilson doesn't get any love? What's a guy gotta do to get noticed in Bill's 'Few Thoughts'? :o As I noted in the Shoutbox during the game, I think Wilson made more plays in the first half than Donte Whitner made in any season. The defense hasn't changed that drastically so as to totally discount any comparison. DW was a liability back there. Yet another fail from the Levy-Jauron era (Marv really ruined his reputation there). At least it's been corrected.

My bad. I was running on 2 hours sleep.

George Wilson DID own the first half. He was making plays everywhere and you are exactly correct. Whitner never made as many big plays in the entire time he was here as GW did in the first half of this game.

Bill one play you didnt comment on was the sneak by Fitz. What a headsy call and he just tapped Eric to let him know this was the call. Hairston looked solid all day and I was surprised how well he read the d. One play you could see the Eagles DE split way wide and this would cause most LT to jump. He held strong and did a great job of sealing the edge off. Urbik, Wood and Levitre really are solid and Pears is playing much better than expected. Maybe a smart QB and a great RB like Freddie just make these guys look better but I am seeing big time push.

Great thoughts in any order.

I saw Wood blast a lot of people yesterday and yes, Hairston looks like a mauler.

Playing over our heads? Yes, I would say so but they expect to win because their coach told them he expects them to win. Setting high expectations is the first step towards achievment.

Wood and Levitre were awesome. This was probably the best game for Wood in his Bills career.

Barnett is everything that we were looking for in Poz, that never happened.

Kyle Williams/Marcellus Dareus may not have numbers against them on the stats sheet, but they were a beast. They were constantly in Vicks face.

What I did not like:

1. Brad Smith bringing that ball back from the endzone in the 4th Quarter. For 3 quarters, you were happy with the touchbacks, why suddenly decided to make a play when it was not there. We could have been in trouble if not for Jackson and Roosevelt bailing us out there.

2. Merriman is continuing to be MIA

3. The offense became too predictable in the 2nd half (Just like against the Bengals). It was almost run-run-pass-punt with no variations. Also, why haven't the Bills used any reverses using Spiller or Brad Smith....A double reverse with both guys on the field would have been awesome. or a flea flicker would have been even better...If you have these gadget players, please use them effectively.