A Few Thoughts About The Game

Wood and Levitre were awesome. This was probably the best game for Wood in his Bills career.

Barnett is everything that we were looking for in Poz, that never happened.

Kyle Williams/Marcellus Dareus may not have numbers against them on the stats sheet, but they were a beast. They were constantly in Vicks face.

What I did not like:

1. Brad Smith bringing that ball back from the endzone in the 4th Quarter. For 3 quarters, you were happy with the touchbacks, why suddenly decided to make a play when it was not there. We could have been in trouble if not for Jackson and Roosevelt bailing us out there.

2. Merriman is continuing to be MIA

3. The offense became too predictable in the 2nd half (Just like against the Bengals). It was almost run-run-pass-punt with no variations. Also, why haven't the Bills used any reverses using Spiller or Brad Smith....A double reverse with both guys on the field would have been awesome. or a flea flicker would have been even better...If you have these gadget players, please use them effectively.

We seem to be in a pattern when leading at the half. We really need more play action on first down and need to find a way with Wildcat to get a play down the field. I am not for gadget plays but would love at least a flea flicker or reasonable reverse however with the outside rush of the eagles I dont see a reverse working well.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree w/ some others re Brad Smith. I am not saying he is awful, but I am unimpressed. He is not particularly fast or elusive, so I don't really see why he's such a threat on kickoff returns (and he made a huge mistake running it back from the EZ). And while he has made a clutch play here or there, he has also gotten zilch on many plays. I may be mistaken, and I hope I am, but maybe the Jets knew what they were doing in deciding to get rid of him?

What matters is W-L at the end of the season. I am enjoying the ride. I pray that the defense will find some way to improve as the season goes on. Turnovers are saving them right now. At least this team is figuring out how to win and A win is better than a loss no matter what.

I can't agree with this. I think that Smith has done very little since he came here. The team is in desperate need of WR help but Smith, who is taking up a WR spot, can't even make a catch. He has stunk on special teams, which were supposed to be his specialty. And frankly, he has been mediocre in the "wildcat". I don't see him do anything out of that formation that Fred Jackson (or maybe even Spiller) couldn't do better. At this point, Gailey is using him correctly: two or three plays per game just to keep the opposition working on wildcat defense during the week. That's about it.

I'm with you Vincec. Especially now that we are in need at WR. We have the least sacked QB in the NFL and an elite running back behind a good offensive line. We don't need the wildcat or a slash type player on an offense like this. That TD run Smith had was through a hole the size of a car, Gailey could have run that one in himself. He's not as good a passer as Fitz, or better than Freddy at running, or Spiller at returning kickoffs, and he's not a great receiver either.

He's a super college player that can do it all pretty well, but not good enough in one area. How someone thinks this guy is going to win us a game is beyond me.

Why Chan would take Fitz and Freddy out of the game to put in this guy when we're moving the ball is beyond me. Its getting too cute. It was a good backup plan to have in place before the season but it's not necessary now that our offense is proving itself.

Fitz has too much class to say it, but I'll bet he and Freddy are both shaking their heads behind closed doors when they put Smith in. Oddly, the only game we could have used a change up or spark was the Cinci game, and I don't think we even brought in Smith at all that game. If we did, it was meaningless.

Dance with who brung ya. Keep Fitz on the field.

Bill: did you happen to watch our RIGHT tackle yesterday? Is it me or has Pears somehow gotten bigger during the season? I don't know when it happened, but all of a sudden it appears we have a quality right tackle.

I did. In fact, I was trying so hard to key in on the blocking that I missed some of the plays and had to catch them on replays.

Pears does look bigger. He even plays with a swagger. When he gets beat, it doesn't appear that he is out-muscled. He could develop into a quality RT, it is possible. Like most other young OTs, he needs more experience to help with his footwork and balance.

I can't agree with this. I think that Smith has done very little since he came here. The team is in desperate need of WR help but Smith, who is taking up a WR spot, can't even make a catch. He has stunk on special teams, which were supposed to be his specialty. And frankly, he has been mediocre in the "wildcat". I don't see him do anything out of that formation that Fred Jackson (or maybe even Spiller) couldn't do better. At this point, Gailey is using him correctly: two or three plays per game just to keep the opposition working on wildcat defense during the week. That's about it.

Smith not taking a WR spot, he is their 3rd sting QB.

Good post as usual, Bill. The offensive line, which I feared would be the reason we'd be a losing team, has been a huge surprise. I liked Wood and Levitre. After that...ugh. But those guys have stepped up big-time.

As for Corner, I'll take the INT, but he had all sorts of trouble with Avant yesterday. We need McGee back to shore up the secondary.

I didn't like the Lee Evans trade, particularly from the standpoint that I thought he was worth a 3, not a low 4 (which is what the pick ends up being with the Ravens likely headed towards the playoffs). Now I really don't like the trade, given all of our injuries to our receivers. Another no-name needs to step up, but I worry about our ability to stretch the field without Jones.

Lots to like about this team. Go Bills!

I would also like to note that even after Fitz embarrassed their DL with the 4th down cadence that drew an offsides penalty, they still did not take a cheap-shot on two kneel-downs when the game was in the bag.

Philadelphia outclassing New England*/Wilfork. And friends, that's saying something.

Edited by UConn James

I believe Merriman got a sack yesterday. On that sack, he also had Vick hobbling around afterwards. Pretty much the only thing he did, but it was nice to see.

Not once, but twice, the olineman had Merriman literally in a headlock yesterday. No hold. I'm not sure what's up with this. But if the conspiracy happens to lift in the second half of the season...you'll see how "invisible" he really has been...

BILL (or whomever) : No words on Spiller? He's not getting the touches, but when he does, he's looking more and more patient, he's looking stronger and it looks like he's definitely "learning" out there...whatcha think?

I agree with this assessment 100%....it seems as if other team knows Smith will do nothing but run out of the Wildcat, and so far he has done very little to distinguish himself otherwise. I would say the ROI for this signing has not been there ....

I didn't like the Lee Evans trade, particularly from the standpoint that I thought he was worth a 3, not a low 4 (which is what the pick ends up being with the Ravens likely headed towards the playoffs). Now I really don't like the trade, given all of our injuries to our receivers. Another no-name needs to step up, but I worry about our ability to stretch the field without Jones.

Lots to like about this team. Go Bills!

Obviously due to injuries it's tough to analyze the trade, but Naaman Roosevelt had more catches & yards yesterday than Evans has all season. I'm not sure we're missing much.

BILL (or whomever) : No words on Spiller? He's not getting the touches, but when he does, he's looking more and more patient, he's looking stronger and it looks like he's definitely "learning" out there...whatcha think?

Spiller actually threw a key block which helped out Hairston on the TD pass (I think it was the one to Nelson).

Other than that (which was an important play mind you), he seemed to be of little consequence. The coaches aren't giving him much playing time so it's going to be hard for him to prove himself.

That said, if he was lighting things up, he would be in there more.

Not once, but twice, the olineman had Merriman literally in a headlock yesterday. No hold. I'm not sure what's up with this. But if the conspiracy happens to lift in the second half of the season...you'll see how "invisible" he really has been...

Merriman was NOT held - he was briefly detained, and then released. Nothing illegal occurred. :D

I believe Merriman got a sack yesterday. On that sack, he also had Vick hobbling around afterwards. Pretty much the only thing he did, but it was nice to see.

I actually saw Merriman getting into the backfield a few times yesterday. Not saying he was anything special but more than once, he was breaking the pocket down.

Smith not taking a WR spot, he is their 3rd sting QB.

But a true 3rd QB doesn't count on the roster for game day. So having Smith in games costs a roster spot.

Obviously due to injuries it's tough to analyze the trade, but Naaman Roosevelt had more catches & yards yesterday than Evans has all season. I'm not sure we're missing much.

I have no love for Evans but he's been out.

I am still concerned about the Bills inability to run to control the clock when needed, or running out of a short yardage situation. Both the Bengals and Eagles seemed to dominate the LoS in the 4th QTR when the Bills needed to make first downs. I don't see the Bills getting 5+ turnovers every game

IMO, I think this is where overall talent level comes into play. The Bills offense has been successful largely due to the system and the play calling, not because they're just over powering people. The last two games, in the 4th quarter, we played the line up and run right at you game. And that's when they've looked least effective. I would guess/hope that as our line develops and grows and gains experience, they'll get to the point where they can just simply out match the defense. But for now, we're most successful and consistent when our runs are disguised in some fashion, in effect spreading the defense out.

In regards to Hairston, Gailey is on record as saying that Bell gets his job back when he's healthy. And, IMO, that's the way it should be. Bell played very well, just as Hairston did. But, as a rookie, he will almost certainly have his good and bad days. Bell is likely to be the more consistent player. But, could it be that's the Bills actually have a solid, developing line... with some depth? For 2 consecutive weeks we've had a guard and a tackle come in off the bench and the offense really didn't miss a beat. I think some of us may have thought the line was going to be ok this year, but who would have thought we'd have 2 starters get injured and have the depth to cover them?

To say that what this team is accomplishing right now is exceeding most everyone's wildest expectations when the season started, is a huge understatement.

Spiller's lack of playing time is probably not as much an indictment on him as much as a glowing, and deserving, endorsement of Freddy - Why wouldn't you give FJ as many touches as possible? I do think CJ is coming along.

Coming along for what? The bus ride to the Giants game next week?

Unless you guys see something I dont, its Hard to tell if someone is coming along when he only gets about 2-4 touches per game

And for Your Info, JUST THE WAY I LIKE IT!

KEEP FEEDING FRED THE STUD. Spiller is not a priority at all at the moment. Weve found our back, give him the ball 25 times per game.

My dream is to see Spiller not fair catch and actually make a return attempt.