A Few Thoughts About The Game

3) I knew that Brad Smith would deliver. And I know that he has a lot more to contribute. I think that gadget players for the most part are a waste of money, but not Brad Smith. He is going to win us football games. I am sure of this.

I can't agree with this. I think that Smith has done very little since he came here. The team is in desperate need of WR help but Smith, who is taking up a WR spot, can't even make a catch. He has stunk on special teams, which were supposed to be his specialty. And frankly, he has been mediocre in the "wildcat". I don't see him do anything out of that formation that Fred Jackson (or maybe even Spiller) couldn't do better. At this point, Gailey is using him correctly: two or three plays per game just to keep the opposition working on wildcat defense during the week. That's about it.

Brad Smith getting antsy and taking the KO out of the EZ very nearly screwed this team. Appreciate his 3rd/4th-and-short abilities, but you've gotta play smart football. There's not enough margin in the game to be forcing something that's not there.

1. Brad Smith bringing that ball back from the endzone in the 4th Quarter. For 3 quarters, you were happy with the touchbacks, why suddenly decided to make a play when it was not there. We could have been in trouble if not for Jackson and Roosevelt bailing us out there.

I agree w/ some others re Brad Smith. I am not saying he is awful, but I am unimpressed. He is not particularly fast or elusive, so I don't really see why he's such a threat on kickoff returns (and he made a huge mistake running it back from the EZ). And while he has made a clutch play here or there, he has also gotten zilch on many plays. I may be mistaken, and I hope I am, but maybe the Jets knew what they were doing in deciding to get rid of him?

I agree with this assessment 100%....it seems as if other team knows Smith will do nothing but run out of the Wildcat, and so far he has done very little to distinguish himself otherwise. I would say the ROI for this signing has not been there ....

Not to pile on Smith here but, in case no one noticed, Smith did not do the Buffalo version of the 'Lambeau Leap' after his TD :thumbdown:

(FWIW, the Eagles 'comeback' began immediately thereafter.)

Edited by The Senator

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5) Fred Jackson has become a true leader of the Buffalo Bills. He ran over and praised his blockers on the sideline after his 1st quarter TD. You see, I love that s*-t.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great thoughts! I look forward to reading them weekly.

Love Jackson. Watching the game yesterday, it seemed like the crowd was chanting something when Fred had a big play (in this case, after the touchdown run and then after the 49 yard catch and run on the screen). Was hoping that it had something to do with paying/retaining him.

Anyone catch that?

Edited by Juror#8

Obviously due to injuries it's tough to analyze the trade, but Naaman Roosevelt had more catches & yards yesterday than Evans has all season. I'm not sure we're missing much.

I'm just thinking in terms of a deep threat. A healthy Evans would give us that element, which I think we're going to need.

But a true 3rd QB doesn't count on the roster for game day. So having Smith in games costs a roster spot.

Not true this year. Having a 3rd QB who can also play other positions (like Smith) is a distinct advantage on game days.

These are great thoughts. You are absolutely right, Bills fans deserve this. I did a news search for articles on the Bills/Eagles game. Almost all of the titles reference something about the Eagles choking and act as though just any team could have been the opponent. It's just a coincidence that QBs keep throwing interceptions against the Bills. :rolleyes: No respect...

Go Bills!!!!

What, because the rest of his team isn't very good? You can't blame this loss on Vick - he played well. Every interception was CAUSED by the Bills horrible porous defense - Vick could not have prevented them in any way. In fact, I'm not sure you can blame any losses on Vick. In fact, Vick is the only good thing the Eagles have going for them. Just because you hate the guy doesn't make him less of a player.

The same is true when he played for the Falcons...he was the team. Period. Proof? He goes to prison, the Falcons fall apart, their coach leaves mid season, they flounder like...well...the Falcons.

Oh no..this loss was not on Vick. For all the criticism, a majority of the credit for the Bills win goes squarely to their defense.

Technically, it wasn't anything in the Bills game design that stopped Vick. It was flat out superiority of our athletes versus their athletes. Vick could not stand in the pocket and throw without getting pressured, and he was battered all game long (again). They couldn't run the ball to take the pressure off Vick (other than what Vick contributed on the ground himself). Their defense was pretty bad for large chunks of the game. Seriously, blaming it on Vick strikes me as incredibly ignorant.

Yea, those 4 INT's weren't his fault ....:rolleyes:

Great thoughts! I look forward to reading them weekly.

Love Jackson. Watching the game yesterday, it seemed like the crowd was chanting something when Fred had a big play (in this case, after the touchdown run and then after the 49 yard catch and run on the screen). Was hoping that it had something to do with paying/retaining him.

Anyone catch that?

I could be mistaken, but on more than one occasion I have the heard the crowd chant 'Freddy' after a big play like you describe.