Favorite IPA's

PaattMaann

on a crazy IPA kick right now, trying to try them all...have already tried a lot in my years but am revisiting now....post your fave IPA (thats India Pale Ale) for those who are really newbs to the burr world..

Few of my Faves:

- Dogfish Head 60 min IPA (and obviously their 120 min)

- Stone IPA

- Saranac IPA

Please divulge!

Redhook has a pretty good IPA imo, Dogfish Head, Sisters of the Moon(NC),and Smuttynose. Also if you're in NC grab a Natty Greene's and always support your local brews. That being said, there isn't many beers I'm not a fan of outside of the dirt cheap. But ill still drink a Genny(not cream ale) here and there for that ole' Buffalo taste :beer:

Paulaner Salvator is a great double bock thats perfect for cookouts

Had some of the Saranac Imperial Pale Ales a few weeks ago and I was bombed after 4 of them......In tems of taste I like the Sierra Nevada, EBC, and Southern Tier IPA's the best

on a crazy IPA kick right now, trying to try them all...have already tried a lot in my years but am revisiting now....post your fave IPA (thats India Pale Ale) for those who are really newbs to the burr world..

Few of my Faves:

- Stone IPA

- Saranac IPA

Please divulge!

/thread

Russian River - Pliny The Elder

Goose Island

Yards

Bells

My next one

Pooj, I did not like the Goose Island at all.So many IPA's out there, so little time to try them all.

I must state that I always try to have at least a 12 of the 60 minute in the fridge at all times. I like that it is only 6% ABV and still has great flavor.It is my everyday beer.

Ones not mentioned so far

Loose Cannon by Heavy Seas in Bmore is one I purchase quite a bit.

I also like a lot of the West Coast IPA's

Bear Rebublic Racer 5

Ballast Point Sculpin

Lanquintas(sp) just the regular IPA

New Belguim Ranger

Avery..just the plain IPA as well as the Maharaj Imperial

Troegs Nugget Nectar..I know not a rue IPA but it is one good beer.

Heavy Seas - Loose Cannon IPA

DogFish Head - 90 Minute

nad my favorite new local

Southern Tier - 2xIPA

IPAs are a gateway beer. Once you get addicted to hops you move on to the imperials and double/triple IPAs.

But hard to drink doubles ot triples when watching a Bills or Sabres...crimminy I got all liqoured up yesterday drinking Gennys..(my new superstition when watching the Bills)..an Imperial would have me in a coma by the end of the game :thumbsup:

I'll throw Deschutes Inversion into the mix. Their standard Pale Ale (Mirror Pond) is also outstanding. However, don't think you can get it east of Texas yet.

Also, for those of you in/visiting the SE, try out any of Sweetwater's offerings.

But hard to drink doubles ot triples when watching a Bills or Sabres...crimminy I got all liqoured up yesterday drinking Gennys..(my new superstition when watching the Bills)..an Imperial would have me in a coma by the end of the game :thumbsup:

Thats one of the things I love about the doubles. I can bring a 6-pack to a more low key affair, drink the equivalent of a 12er and no one is the wiser.

And they're absolutely delicious.

I'll throw Deschutes Inversion into the mix. Their standard Pale Ale (Mirror Pond) is also outstanding. However, don't think you can get it east of Texas yet.

Also, for those of you in/visiting the SE, try out any of Sweetwater's offerings.

Tried the Deschutes Inversion recently, and didn't really care for it. I suppose it was just a little to hoppy for my taste. I'll throw another one out there....Hop Czar Imperial IPA is an outstanding beer.

Tried the Deschutes Inversion recently, and didn't really care for it. I suppose it was just a little to hoppy for my taste. I'll throw another one out there....Hop Czar Imperial IPA is an outstanding beer.

Too Hoppy? Say it ain't so! :thumbsup:

I will say I did try something once that I felt wa too hoppy. I think it was Hop Wallop or something like that.

Few of my Faves:

- Stone IPA

- Saranac IPA

Please divulge!

I am a total SLUT for IPA.

For you folks in the Bay Area, head down to Morgan Hill (S of San Jose) to El Toro brewery. Gina (the brewmaster) brews DOZENS of his own (including orange cream soda).

His best is the DEUCE - a double hopped IPA that's unbeatable. Otherwise, head over to the lower Haight in SF (gotta love the haight!) to Toronado where you can find this, Pliny the Elder, and in rare cases Pliny the YOUNGER on tap. No one mentioned Sierra Nevada's Torpedo - another winner in the same vein as Lagunitas.

Thats one of the things I love about the doubles. I can bring a 6-pack to a more low key affair, drink the equivalent of a 12er and no one is the wiser.

And they're absolutely delicious.

THIS! a man with my same thought process haha, hide the alcoholism!! haha

Victory's Hop Devil is my favorite IPA. For IIPA, I like Kryptonite, made my a local microbrew Iron Hill.

Love that Hop Devil, though when I'm drinking more than 2 pints, I prefer Sierra Nevada or Southern Tier.

Commodore Perry from Great Lakes Brewing Company rules all the IPAs. Try it and let me know if you have had better.

I've had it and while it's pretty good there are many better examples IMO. Great Lakes Burning River pale ale is definitely way up there on my american pale ale list though.

I'll have to recommend my cousins' brewery Evolution Craft Brewing. They have 2 IPAs, Local Harvest & Lot No3 India Pale Ale and a double IPA, Lot No6 Double India Pale Ale that are very good. I don't drink much beer anymore but these are great. They are based in Delaware and you can get them in Maryland, DC and I think they just got into Northern VA.

I also like a lot of the West Coast IPA's

Bear Rebublic Racer 5

Ballast Point Sculpin

Lanquintas(sp) just the regular IPA

New Belguim Ranger

Avery..just the plain IPA as well as the Maharaj Imperial

Troegs Nugget Nectar..I know not a rue IPA but it is one good beer.

I like all the ones you listed, but Racer 5 is one of my all-time favorites. Great call.

I also enjoy Magic Hat's hI.P.A. (which I can't find out West) and Maui Brewing Co's Big Swell IPA (which is kinda pricey, but worth it if you feel like splurging). Maui Brewing Co also makes a fantastic Coconut Porter. I don't usually like fruit infused beers, but this one has only a tiny hint of coconut, which blends really well with a great porter taste.

Edited by Andrew in LA

I'll have to recommend my cousins' brewery Evolution Craft Brewing. They have 2 IPAs, Local Harvest & Lot No3 India Pale Ale and a double IPA, Lot No6 Double India Pale Ale that are very good. I don't drink much beer anymore but these are great. They are based in Delaware and you can get them in Maryland, DC and I think they just got into Northern VA.

I have had the Evolution beers only once, and that was on tap at a small bar on the Eastern Shore this summer..the # 6 is what I had..and indeed a very nice beer. I will certainly look for that on Friday, as I will be in DC Friday evening and going beer shopping Saturday morning.

BTW, DC is great for beer as they are not a state and not subject to the normal distribution rules..if they don't have it..they can just drive wherever they want and get it!!

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2011/04/06/a-bootleg-up-how-lax-import-regulations-made-d-c-a-craft-beer-haven/

Gate B-11 at Hartsfield..have almost missed many a plane by getting just one more quick one :oops:

I never miss the opportunity! I used to forget which concourse until I associated B with BEER :huh: . Both the IPA and the the 420 Extra Pale are very good.

Oh, and one I haven't seen listed, if you're ever in the Upper Midwest: Summit Extra Pale is solid.

quick question for you/your cousin....has he said anything about having to compete with Delaware's favorite son, Dogfish head?

I have had the Evolution beers only once, and that was on tap at a small bar on the Eastern Shore this summer..the # 6 is what I had..and indeed a very nice beer. I will certainly look for that on Friday, as I will be in DC Friday evening and going beer shopping Saturday morning.

BTW, DC is great for beer as they are not a state and not subject to the normal distribution rules..if they don't have it..they can just drive wherever they want and get it!!

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2011/04/06/a-bootleg-up-how-lax-import-regulations-made-d-c-a-craft-beer-haven/

Here's a list of retailers. I haven't been to the brewery yet but plan on doing so in the next few months. When he's (cousin) in Richmond he brings some down or my dad brings some growlers and six packs when he visits. Beer Beer

quick question for you/your cousin....has he said anything about having to compete with Delaware's favorite son, Dogfish head?

I'll ask. They have only been in business a few years but are already looking to expand(again) as they are at capacity.

2 miles from my house...

Southern Tier IPA is my favorite...had 2 last night actually.

Grab a Pumpking if you find it in the stores. You won't be

disappointed.

For those in the Western NY Area come down to Lakewood NY and

enjoy a pint or two.

http://southerntierbrewing.com/index1.html

ipa

the iso-alpha acid experience

IPA stands for India Pale Ale and ours is an American version of the classic style. IPA’s namesake lies in its colonial roots. British soldiers on their way to India drank a lot of beer, but found it would go stale on the long voyages. Meanwhile, brewers knew that by adding more hops the beer would stay fresh. Voila! A new style was born and it is one we are proud to brew. Southern Tier IPA is triple hopped on its journey to your glass for a fully aromatic experience.

7.3% abv • 12.1ºL • India Pale Ale

12 oz (6 pack & 24 bottle case) / 1/2 keg / 1/6 keg

Edited by The Tomcat