ESPN, Hank Williams Jr. part ways

Such a bull **** move by ESPN. I'm pissed. Screw ESPN. They made their point by suspending him 1 game, that's all they had to do.

Proud Hater of ESPN

:thumbdown:

If I had said that kind of thing publicly my employer would can me... I would imagine that would apply to most of us.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are regulated by the FCC.

Which would make for an interesting argument in a lawsuit. Futile, but interesting.

Cable (even basic cable) is ruled by a different standard by the FCC.

That doesnt bother me. He clearly doesn't understand that while he does have Freedom of Speech under the Constitution, he does not have Freedom from Consquence for what he says. Bye Hank. It was fun.

To me, the apology was enough. Everyone has made a ridiculous Hitler reference. Any analogy to Adolph Hitler is stupid.

That stupid song was the only thing I didn't like about MNF. Good riddance & get thee back to the trailerpark while you're at it.

The song was iconic. I grew up used to that song on Monday Night Football. It will be tough to replace, but I watch for the football.....when I watch at all. I haven't seen much NFL so far this year.

hey, the first amendment doesn't apply to private employers, and it is pretty severely restricted when it comes to public employers as well. The lesson...don't say anything to peeoff your employer. Its that kind of world these days in an employment at will world. Hank Williams, Juan Williams, Kyle Williams, Ted Williams or Wendy Williams...you just don't have many rights in the workplace.

Such a bull **** move by ESPN. I'm pissed. Screw ESPN. They made their point by suspending him 1 game, that's all they had to do.

Proud Hater of ESPN

:thumbdown:

[assuming sarcasm wasn't applied]

It's all about ratings, my friend. Once they get a few complaints, the number of viewers drop...hence, the ratings take a hit. Most people would forget about it by the end of the season, but some wouldn't and that's all that matters. If it was NBC, CBS, CNN, or Nickelodeon, they'd all do the same thing.

Nevertheless, I liked the song. It was a Monday Night Football staple for years. When they tried doing a different singer each week one season, it was horrible...I couldn't get into it. I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist, but I thought it was catchy and worth keeping.

Edited by BuffaloWings

This whole thing shows just how ridiculous things have gotten in the world...he said what he said...who gives a crap...ESPN is not CSPAN last time I checked and most people could care less about his comments regarding politics...they are wanting to watch football not deal with political dissertations

They are regulated by the FCC.

Which would make for an interesting argument in a lawsuit. Futile, but interesting.

Futile is right.

Ok then...let's consider the point itself. Why shouldn't two people with different political opinions play a round of golf or be friends?

No reason at all why they shouldn't.

But we all know that wasn't Hank's point.

Here is an idea....Just start the game!

Thank you. WTF do we need some stupid-ass pop song for before a football game? All the pre-game nonsense is so pathetic I'm now conditioned to turning on a game 20 minutes after it "starts".

Same thing with the superbowl. I want it on 2 stations, 1 for people who like commercials and who could give 2 ***** about the game

second played like every other football game, its football not a circus!

Love it --- fantastic idea! :lol:

I hope Kid Rock fills in. I think that would be perfect.

+ 1. I was sick of Hank already.

Ah, I believe he did, unless you believe that netanyahu could be the most hated man in the world

He did call "him" the enemy. I'll bet you a nickel he wasn't talking about Boehner.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Oh, I am so glad the man is completing the revelation (!) of his ignorance by calling this a Free Speech / 1st Amendment issue (that is, if he is even aware of what an amendment is).

As for NPR, there was no crime involved in the Juan Williams scenario, and if there were, or if there were even grounds for citing an unjust firing, you would have seen the lawsuit by now. Now, there is a more murky scenario there because NPR receives about 16% of its funding from some kind of governmental institutions (CPB and direct fed/state/local funding), but even then Williams was not receiving state sanction, he was receiving workplace reprimands for violating the role of reporter/analyst with NPR by serving as a commentator (hence revealing opinions on the news as opposed to analysis) for Fox. Honestly, I'd hope for the same kind of measured response to be taken if Andrea Seabrook were providing her opinion on MSNBC.

Anyway, now that we're once again in PPP land, let the marketplace dictate the fate of the least talented Hank Williams this earth has produced.