Deep throws on third down

UB2SF

One the things I loved about the first few games was our ability to convert 3rd downs and keep drives alive. The first half against the Bengals saw a troubling trend of taking deep shots on 3rd down, even with 3rd & 3 or 3rd & 4, and with Fitz's much-discussed accuracy issues, these were drive killers. Four of our first five drives ended this way, as follows:

1ST QUARTER

3-4-BUF 12 (9:11) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep right to 22-F.Jackson.

3-4-BUF 20 (7:21) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep left to 16-B.Smith (22-N.Clements).

2ND QUARTER

3-3-CIN 24 (13:42) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep right to 16-B.Smith.

3-6-BUF 39 (10:59) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep right to 19-D.Jones.

Seems like Gailey may have fallen in love with the fades and fly patterns which brought some success over the first three weeks... but IIRC, in the first three games, those were usually called on first and second down, opting for higher-percentage plays on 3rd down.

At least this didn't continue in the second half. I just feel like we could have put our shoes on the Bengals throats a little more in the first half if we had used better ball-control offense on 3rd down.

Fitz was throwing it deep because they were holding our receivers.....he was looking for a PI call that never came.......

Some SERIOUS holding going on out there yesterday

True but seriously you play the percentages, especially in a close game the road.

Throw the safe underneath stuff and pick up the first down.

If you want to expose their holding then do it on 2nd and short.

The Zebras were lousy all game. It started with late hits on Fitz and defensive holding on our recievers. The call on Johnson in the 4th quarter was criminal.

You mean until the last 3rd down attempt by the Bills?

Oh, yeah, that one:

3-5-BUF 37 (2:07) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep left to 22-F.Jackson.

Good call GG. Musta repressed that bitter memory.

ub2sf, you are in my "understands football" club

One the things I loved about the first few games was our ability to convert 3rd downs and keep drives alive. The first half against the Bengals saw a troubling trend of taking deep shots on 3rd down, even with 3rd & 3 or 3rd & 4, and with Fitz's much-discussed accuracy issues, these were drive killers. Four of our first five drives ended this way, as follows:

1ST QUARTER

3-4-BUF 12 (9:11) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep right to 22-F.Jackson.

3-4-BUF 20 (7:21) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep left to 16-B.Smith (22-N.Clements).

2ND QUARTER

3-3-CIN 24 (13:42) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep right to 16-B.Smith.

3-6-BUF 39 (10:59) (Shotgun) 14-R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep right to 19-D.Jones.

Seems like Gailey may have fallen in love with the fades and fly patterns which brought some success over the first three weeks... but IIRC, in the first three games, those were usually called on first and second down, opting for higher-percentage plays on 3rd down.

At least this didn't continue in the second half. I just feel like we could have put our shoes on the Bengals throats a little more in the first half if we had used better ball-control offense on 3rd down.

Ub2Sf you are now part of my "understands football" club I totally agree. we actually lost all those close three point games last year for the same reason. Fitz often throws the fade on third and short and rarely connects. I often dvr games and see guys WIDE open, I mean OPEN, right at or behind the marker and he ignores them and throws deep. I cant understand why he does this so much.

These plays should be save for second and short or first downs.

Can't it both ways. People used to say Jauron was too conservative. Now Chan is too aggressive? Also, teams gameplan too and try to take away the short throws. IF Fitz hits any of those passes (like he had in the last 2 games), it's game over.

Personally, I wish FJax got more carries.

Fitz was throwing it deep because they were holding our receivers.....he was looking for a PI call that never came.......

Some SERIOUS holding going on out there yesterday

If you have a QB making throws (consistently) to try to draw a flag you have a problem. I don't think we have a problem (well, not that problem anyway).

True but seriously you play the percentages, especially in a close game the road.

Throw the safe underneath stuff and pick up the first down.

If you want to expose their holding then do it on 2nd and short.

The Zebras were lousy all game. It started with late hits on Fitz and defensive holding on our recievers. The call on Johnson in the 4th quarter was criminal.

The play calling was criminal.

The Bills had 5 2nd and short opportunities and never once went deep off of play action.

Seems they were forcing it to Jones in the 1st half and Fitz was throwing it into the stands. He was missing receivers by a mile.

Johnson dropped the ball - not sure what all the grief is about.

Chan should have had some guts and went for it on 4th down. The Bills defense could not stop the Bengals in the 2nd half.

Coaching cost them this game more than the refs.

I said the same thing in another thread this morning.. It seemed like every 3rd and 4 we were throwing 20+ yards down the field.. Just get a first down guys.. move the damn chains..

We also should have been running the ball way more..

1ST QUARTER

2ND QUARTER

+1000000

I was complaining throughout the game. Need 5-6 yds and try a pass for 20-30. Not sure who was to blame, was it the play calling or was Fitz starting to get big for his britches. I hope they go back to what got them to 3-0.