Deep throws on third down

UB2SF

The play calling was criminal.

The Bills had 5 2nd and short opportunities and never once went deep off of play action.

Seems they were forcing it to Jones in the 1st half and Fitz was throwing it into the stands. He was missing receivers by a mile.

Johnson dropped the ball - not sure what all the grief is about.

Chan should have had some guts and went for it on 4th down. The Bills defense could not stop the Bengals in the 2nd half.

Coaching cost them this game more than the refs.

You and the ref that was 20 yards down field are the only people in the free world that think Johnson dropped that ball. Not enough evidence to over turn the call as made on the field.

Yes, the playcalling could have been better. Of course if they hit those plays then the play calling is brilliant.

Edited by Bob in STL

I was frustrated by that as well. Take the underneath stuff and move the chains.

I wish they would too....but it seems like anyway- if they get the one on one on the outside they will go for the big play. Unfortunately against the bengals between bad throws and Jones being unable to make a tough catch we didnt hit any.

The Bengals were stacking the short routes because they had no fear of being beat deep. This is why there was a defender on every WR as soon as the ball was caught. The deep routes were thrown to try to get the safeties to back up.

Marvin Lewis exposed the Bills offense yesterday. Unless the secondary thinks you can throw over the top of them they're going to jump the short routes.

Fitz has the green light to take those shots if he gets the coverage he wants. I didn't see the game but what I saw of some replays Cinci was playing man coverage on a few of those longer passes. Nothing wrong with that. We were making that play in the first three games.

GO BILLS!!!

You mean until the last 3rd down attempt by the Bills?

That play was a little different in that Fitz couldn't find anyone open underneath so he just had to take a shot. But the deep balls on third and short in the first half were frustrating.

Those long passes on third down were just plain stupid. I find it very frustrating to watch a game and realize that bad play calling is going to result in a loss. I thought the Bills were beyond that. I guess not. :wallbash:

Maybe, just maybe, the Bengals game plan took away Buffalo's strength over the middle of the field and the Bills couldn't respond. David Nelson was a complete non-factor, which, as Buffalo Rumblings points out, began in the second half of the NE game. Cincinnati forced Buffalo to throw outside the hashmarks, which is clearly not Fitzpatrick's forte.

All of this isn't surprising considering the NFL is about taking away team strengths. And Buffalo couldn't run the ball against a good front 7, further compounding their offensive woes. This week will go a long way to showing whether Chan is as good an offensive mind as some are already saying he is.