A difference between Chan and Dick

Wagon Circler

Indeed, from NE's 39 I see the likely playcalling sequence as:

Run into the middle of a huge pile, no gain

5-yard throw to a receiver with no RAC opportunity

Attempt a 52-yard field goal with 1:30 or more left.

OMYGOD! You're right!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest difference I see is in their philosophy.

Coach Gailey's is that the team that scores the most points wins.

Coach Jauron's was that the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins.

Indeed, from NE's 39 I see the likely playcalling sequence as:

5-yard throw to a receiver with no RAC opportunity

Attempt a 52-yard field goal with 1:30 or more left.

Ah, the Clowns MNF game. I was there and that was the day I officially jumped off of the Dick Jauron band wagon.

Of course Trent throwing 3 picks in our first 4 possessions didn't help much either.

Chan is a much better coach but even Dick wasn't dumb enough to not kneel down and kick the FG in that specific situation.

Dick was a gutless play not to lose with an offense run by morons and a defense that tired by the fourth quarter HC.

What amazes me is that with his last shot at a HC job, he entrusted the offense to the likes of Schonert and Van Pelt? Why not bring in someone more polished with a better track record?

Ah, the Clowns MNF game. I was there and that was the day I officially jumped off of the Dick Jauron band wagon.

Of course Trent throwing 3 picks in our first 4 possessions didn't help much either.

That was the day I saw all hope for Trent Edwards as an NFL QB vanish. I was never a fan of him, and he had a horrific start to the game, but at the end he had a nice 20 yard pass to Royal to get to the outer edge of field goal range. Well, that was good enough for Ol' Dick, and from that day on I don't know if I saw Edwards take another chance. Certainly seemed to me that the message he took away was that the only thing that mattered was trying to avoid bad outcomes.

Other people can point to the concussion against Arizona, but I think the disastrous Cleveland game and the signals that Jauron sent to the team were what did Edwards in (of course, that's not to say he would've amounted to anything anyway, but I saw some glimmers of hope that were gone after that game).

I thought another big difference was when Buffalo had the ball with a minute left in the first half on their own 10 yard line. Jauron, and even Levy, would have tried to run the clock out. They come out firing and get a field goal before half. Nice job Chan!

This.

That's huge to me. I don't even care if once in a while it backfires and we lose a game by being too aggressive. The overall impact playing to win like that has on a team's psyche is well worth the occasional eff-up.

I never understand coaches whose main focus is "eliminating mistakes" - you will never eliminate them. It's the coaches who build off their strengths and coach with confidence that can end up with great teams when they have the players. You can't be great at anything if your main goals is "don't be bad."

What would have happened to Dick and his team....Wolfolk would have started an argument and fight with an o lineman and the time would have run out as the refs broke it up.... oh that really happened as you may recall....

this time our team is thinking...as one... are are learning that winning is more important than the small battles.

Dick would have done the same as Chan. He wasn't an aggressive coach, he played to "not lose".

He certainly wouldn't have called for a long pass play to open up that drive though, I think *that* is the difference.

Edited by Dorkington

Just something I've been thinking about since the game ended.

When the last touchdown by Freddie was taken away, I thought "beautiful, now we can kneel down three times and take most of the time off the clock".

Of course that is exactly what Chan did and it worked out perfectly.

But I can't help thinking that Dick would not have done this. He would have thought,"the objective is to score touchdowns and besides, the worst case scenario is overtime".

So he would have handed off and left Brady a minute and a 1/2 to tie it, which he probably would have and lo and behold, an excruciating loss in overtime.

It would be so Dick-like. At least Chan has the smarts to to do what was called for in that situation, even if slightly unconventional.

Thoughts?

We talked about that at work, and the consensus was yeah, Dick would have gone TD