A difference between Chan and Dick

Wagon Circler

Just something I've been thinking about since the game ended.

When the last touchdown by Freddie was taken away, I thought "beautiful, now we can kneel down three times and take most of the time off the clock".

Of course that is exactly what Chan did and it worked out perfectly.

But I can't help thinking that Dick would not have done this. He would have thought,"the objective is to score touchdowns and besides, the worst case scenario is overtime".

So he would have handed off and left Brady a minute and a 1/2 to tie it, which he probably would have and lo and behold, an excruciating loss in overtime.

It would be so Dick-like. At least Chan has the smarts to to do what was called for in that situation, even if slightly unconventional.

Thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the last touchdown by Freddie was taken away, I thought "beautiful, now we can kneel down three times and take most of the time off the clock".

But I can't help thinking that Dick would not have done this. He would have thought,"the objective is to score touchdowns and besides, the worst case scenario is overtime".

So he would have handed off and left Brady a minute and a 1/2 to tie it, which he probably would have and lo and behold, an excruciating loss in overtime.

It would be so Dick-like. At least Chan has the smarts to to do what was called for in that situation, even if slightly unconventional.

Thoughts?

i thought the exact same thing

The second it happened I text my buddy said they better kneel on this. I don't care if we only have a 3 point lead, NE will only have about 20 seconds. He's says run it in! I'm like, no dude, you don't understand. They have to kneel on it. At the same time when we did it I was in shock. I understand managing a game from a couch vs the heat of the moment are two very different things. Huge props to Chan for the management at the end. The reason this team is 3-0 is we capitalize on every mistake, make very few, and play very smart football. Sounds like the same game plan a former coach preached but couldn't execute. At the same time the difference between Jauron and Chan, is Chan is willing to take chances and trust his players not to make mistakes. He plays to win, not for the other team to lose.

Thoughts?

How about one is a football coach and the other is a fish?

I thought another big difference was when Buffalo had the ball with a minute left in the first half on their own 10 yard line. Jauron, and even Levy, would have tried to run the clock out. They come out firing and get a field goal before half. Nice job Chan!

Edited by Webster Guy

Thoughts?

We would not have been to that point because would have been out of the game......Chan thinks 7 points Dick was 3......Chan is innovative and agressive Dick is "its hard to win the nfl".....Chan is offensive and Dick is "lets play not to lose"

There are SO MANY ways in which Chan is demonstrating he's not Dick, nor Greg, nor Mike. It's nauseating to think about some of the stuff we've seen over the years:

- Mularkey lining an injured Roscoe Parish up at quarterback and having him throw a pass... WITH A CAST ON HIS THROWING HAND AND FOREARM.

- JP Losman rolling out and getting crushed by a Jets linebacker, causing him to fumble the game away...RIGHT AFTER WE RAN THE BALL THREE TIMES FOR 15 YARDS.

- McKelvin fighting for extra yards on a kickoff vs. New England...AND GETTING PRAISED AFTER THE LOSS BY JAURON FOR TRYING TO MAKE A PLAY.

- Dickie firing his offensive coordinator DURING THE WEEK OF OUR FIRST REGULAR SEASON GAME.

No doubt, you can EASILY add to this list.

Edited by Stormin Norman

Thoughts?

What are you talking about? Dick Jauron would never have done that....as his team would never have been in position to win the game in the first place.

What are you talking about? Dick Jauron would never have done that....as his team would never have been in position to win the game in the first place.

Indeed, from NE's 39 I see the likely playcalling sequence as:

Run into the middle of a huge pile, no gain

5-yard throw to a receiver with no RAC opportunity

Attempt a 52-yard field goal with 1:30 or more left.

Thoughts?

Jauron probably wouldn't have been throwing the ball once they crossed the 40. He would have run 3 times, picked up a few yards and burned some clock, and went for the field goal with a little under a min left and the pats with 2 timeouts left. Brady then would have driven down the field and scored a TD to win.

<br />Indeed, from NE's 39 I see the likely playcalling sequence as:<br /><br />Run into the middle of a huge pile, no gain<br />Run into the middle of a huge pile, no gain<br />5-yard throw to a receiver with no RAC opportunity<br /><br />Attempt a 52-yard field goal with 1:30 or more left.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

More Specifically

Hand the Ball of to Marshawn Lynch while Freddy's on the bench..no gain

Hand the ball off to Marshawn Lynch while Freddy's on the bench..no gain

Call a pass play where Trent Edwards checks down to Marshawn Lynch while Freddy's on the bench for 2 yards

Finally put the ball int to your best players hands and watch him punt it so you can get your ferocious tampon 2 back on the field against Brady

Indeed, from NE's 39 I see the likely playcalling sequence as:

5-yard throw to a receiver with no RAC opportunity

Attempt a 52-yard field goal with 1:30 or more left.

This is so painfully true that it sends chills down my spine, and leaves my mouth dry.

Thoughts?

I am certain that the mind of Dick Jauron would never have been able to handle that clock-burning situation. Never.

I love having a head coach with a great football mind!

Thoughts?

YE OLE thought exactly the same thing. In fact, I've been so conditioned to it, I didn't even consider the possibility that we would take a knee and run the clock out. I just assumed we were going to punch it next play and have to play some defense. Then Chan took a knee and Belichick came unglued. It was a thing of beauty. We are fortunate to have the coaching staff we have. It's too bad for Chan that he wasn't given another chance sooner. He's a good coach.