I've noticed a difference between Bills players and other NFL play

Mr. T

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're mistaking the issue. Probably intentionally, but I'll explain anyway. Nobody's looking down on anybody for being intelligent, it's the attitude that an articulate black man is a novelty that differs from a fictional norm of uneducated simpletons and thugs speaking in ebonics.

No, I brought up the fact that the well spoken idea isn't racist because the African American community has a real problem with race and being intelligent/well spoken within their own community with an example in Jalen Rose. It is a systemic problem that shouldn't draw finger pointing or claims of racism.

I agree with the OP .... and don't think it's racist at all .... Stevie, Freddy, Dave Nelson, Donald Jones, Shawne Merriman, as well as Fitz .... all are articulate and well spoken. I don't remember any interviews with any of our players this season where the player sounded like a third grade dropout.

I admit to being an old fogey, but I rather enjoy our lack of "thuggishness" and the fact that our players speak like intelegent college graduates.

Same here. I never wince when those guys step up to the podium. I can see why they are team leaders, they are calm, articulate, and show very good leadership. I am lousy at presentations, so I know that is no easy feat and not everyone is cut out to do it.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

Nothing racist about this at all. You can be white, black, purple, green, or red. If you can't put together your thoughts in even a remotely eloquent manner, then it is a reflection on your intelligence. It's all about grace under pressure and being able to think on your feet. This team seems like it plays faster, adjusts better, and runs a more complex system than in the past. Just a coincidence that most of their sound bytes would at least get passing grades from a grammar perspective?

No, I brought up the fact that the well spoken idea isn't racist because the African American community has a real problem with race and being intelligent/well spoken within their own community with an example in Jalen Rose. It is a systemic problem that shouldn't draw finger pointing or claims of racism.

I apologize. I admittedly didn't see the post where you linked to Jalen Rose's quotes and I think we were talking about two different things. My mistake, and the problem you cite is a real one. I can't understand why education and pragmatic achievement are treated with derision from a large portion of the black community.

For the record, I think Jalen was unfairly criticized for that whole flap. In using the term Uncle Tom, he was merely explaining his perspective as a misinformed 17 year old. That same 17 year old probably also would've thought of the 40 year old version of himself wearing a suit and tie and doing analysis for ESPN as an Uncle Tom.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Nix drafted a lot of players who were captains on their college teams in his first two draft classes. On top of that I think it helps that a lot of the players on this team had to earn their way into the NFL the hard way.

Nelson, Bell, Stevie, Fitz, Freddie, Jones, Pears, Chandler, McIntyre and Reinhart are either undrafted free agents (Nelson, Jones, Freddie, McIntyre, and Pears), 7th round picks (Fitz, Bell, and Stevie), or mid round picks waived by other teams (Chandler and Reinhart).

And that's just on the offensive side of the ball. On the defense there are a lot of players who are either veteran players getting a second chance and lower round/undrafted players. I think its something that a roster has a lot of guys who are high character and realize that they have to earn their way into the league.

Although lets not pretend that the Bills aren't the only team that is hungry and doesn't have high character players.

The main difference that I've noticed between the Bills and their opponents is that the Bills have played 60 minutes. The Chiefs played 12, the Raiders 45 and the pats* 55 minutes. One way or another the team 'has imposed its will' on the opposition. That comes from coaching, adjustments, conditioning and athletic ability. (toss in a healthy dose of Billieve)

I really don't care if any of them can string a sentence together.

True enough, my good man. YE OLE thinks Marv's old adage, "When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us" applies to this team for the first time in a long time. It's refreshing to see the other team unraveling down the stretch for a change.

Prove me wrong with evidence of another culture systematically looking down on people for being well spoken and intelligent.

Ummm the late 1930s to mid 1940s the Germans seemed a bit miffed at some minorities who were well spoken,

I think one point that may have been overlooked is this: look at where alot of our guys were rated in their draft class. Alot of our big contributors were either late rounders or undrafted prospects. They knew that they had to have career options other than the NFL. It seems that alot of the players that come off as 'thuggish' which I guess means having poor grammar and speaking skills, are the ones that have literally had a full ride their entire life leading up to the millions that they will earn in the NFL. So they've really been able to just play ball, work out, and leave education to the less physically gifted.

Fitzy was Harvard and didn't know how good of an opportunity he'd ever get. Nelson, Jones, Chandler, Freddy J - all guys who had to be prepared for life without high money football even if they were never going to give up trying on it.

And I agree with the poster who said 'thuggishness' or poor education is more correlated to socioeconomic factors as opposed to race. But also, there are a higher number of non whites that grow up/live in poorer neighborhoods.

i love the bills and this years team, but leodis sounds like he cant read and the jury is still out as to whether dareus even bothers to open his mouth when he speaks.

what you mean is fred stevie and fitzy all speak well, because they are basically the only one who see a podium or a reporter regularly

One of the main problems of the 2 year Levy GM era was drafting players of questionable character on the field, off the field, or both. Look at the 1st round picks during those 2 years

Donte Whitner -arrested for domestic violence & and participating in a near riot; John McCargo-a no talent underachiever; and Marshawn Lynch-rap sheet includes hit & run, illegal gun posession while smoking dope with his posse in a car & a league suspension.

Now with all 3 1st round picks jettisoned along with Brandon slug 1st round pick Aaron Maybin Jet-tisoned, the team is winning.

Addition by subtraction.

Prove me wrong with evidence of another culture systematically looking down on people for being well spoken and intelligent.

Prove you wrong? You're the one who brought up "only in America" with the only "proof" being your personal/arbitrary/anecdotal experience (and one that is not shared by others). Why don't you prove yourself right before saying "only in America".