Bills line allowing Fitzpatrick to shine

BiggieScooby

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag08wBijhTGJYQDfymlkFyEdsLYF?slug=ap-nflprotectionindex

"Buffalo’s “guys up front” stepped up in Week 2 to the tune of a league-leading 107.6 grade in the New York Life Protection Index, a proprietary formula created by STATS LLC which measures pass protection by using metrics such as length of passes, penalties by offensive linemen, sacks allowed and quarterback hurries and knockdowns."

Here's to our line bulldozing the Patriots off the field Sunday! :beer:

The raiders seemed to be getting a pretty good push. Chan smartly designed and called very quick release plays for this offense.

I noticed the same. Then again, poor line play can blow up even the quickest of passing plays, so at the very least pass protection hasn't been a liability.

On top of this, the line has been a collective monster in the running game.

I noticed the same. Then again, poor line play can blow up even the quickest of passing plays, so at the very least pass protection hasn't been a liability.

On top of this, the line has been a collective monster in the running game.

AND…

It's a young O-line that's improving each week and growing together.

O-line is, more than other position groups, a unit where the whole can exceed the sum of the parts.

They were getting some push, but mostly getting stonewalled. Fitz had plenty of time to throw, and was barely touched. What they did in the run game was even more impressive...the Raider D-Line simply got annihilated by our O-Line...

It's just as much Fitz making his line look good as well. He's not pat-pat-patting the ball frantically trying to scan the field and schitting his drawers like some other Bills QBs. He makes fast decisions and gets rid of the ball.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Fitz has really done well the last two Games. Unfortunately he'll need to call on his Harvard background to pass the next test. The Pats believe their guy is the best so they're going to try to humiliate ours. They're going to be on Fitz like flies on a wet turd. Poor guy. I hope Fred is ready for a lot of carries.

It's just as much Fitz making his line look good as well. He's not pat-pat-patting the ball frantically trying to scan the field and schitting his drawers like some other Bills QBs. He makes fast decisions and gets rid of the ball.

PTR

This is very true.

But I have been impressed with the run blocking. Last year I felt Freddy got all his yards on his own. This year he's had some nice holes.

Edited by hondo in seattle

AND…

It's a young O-line that's improving each week and growing together.

O-line is, more than other position groups, a unit where the whole can exceed the sum of the parts.

Amen, on both offense and defense! Here's to exceeding the sum of the parts!

One reason I found the Raiders fans focus on the great athleticism of their players and how none of our players matched up man to man, kinda wierd.

Yeah, yeah, Sonny, but this here's a TEAM sport.

Fitz has really done well the last two Games. Unfortunately he'll need to call on his Harvard background to pass the next test. The Pats believe their guy is the best so they're going to try to humiliate ours. They're going to be on Fitz like flies on a wet turd. Poor guy. I hope Fred is ready for a lot of carries.

I think the Raiders will be planning to shut down the run, and we will be planning to run it down their throats anyways.

Our challenge will be to move Vince "Dirty" Wilfork and Haynesworth out of the way.

Anyone else see that interception and run-back by Wilfork? I don't want to see that on Sunday. Against the Chargers, it was pretty funny to watch.

PTR

That is correct Promo. And he gets his body in the position he needs to be in to make throws. Fitz is super coordinated, and actually a very good runner as well imo.

What we are seeing, folks, is continuing evidence of the fact football is a TEAM game. Each player or unit doesn't have to be individually fantastic, but if everyone is working in concert then the whole is most certainly greater than the sum of its parts.

The O Line is playing way better than expected and maybe even more importantly, getting some confidence as individuals and as a unit. They're getting a lot of help from Chandler, Jones, Nelson, Jackson and even Spiller. Gailey is helping them out a lot, and Fitz is getting back and immediately throwing. It's not as though they are giving him a lot of time, but it's enough for the way this offense is working now. (Gailey designed the offense around the fact we don't have time to throw and Fitz is so quick at making decisive decisions).

There have been some decent holes and the blocking has been pretty good in the run game but the Jackson TD was an exceptionally timed cut back and acceleration by Jackson, his other long run was a crease he had to turn sideways to sneak through into the secondary, and the long CJ run he broke a tackle after being immediately hit in the backfield.

I'm not complaining at all, because it's working and our offense is on fire. The real story here on the line is few mistakes. It's the first time in a decade that the RBs are doing their job well and the line is doing their job well enough AT THE SAME TIME, and the talent of the RBs are allowed to shine. Before it always seemed like one guy would screw up or the RB would be great on a run with no hole, or there would be a hole that the RB missed, or there would be a nice play reversed by a penalty. I hope it's not just luck, and I don't think it is. There is something different to this team.

The O Line is playing way better than expected and maybe even more importantly, getting some confidence as individuals and as a unit. They're getting a lot of help from Chandler, Jones, Nelson, Jackson and even Spiller. Gailey is helping them out a lot, and Fitz is getting back and immediately throwing. It's not as though they are giving him a lot of time, but it's enough for the way this offense is working now. (Gailey designed the offense around the fact we don't have time to throw and Fitz is so quick at making decisive decisions).

There have been some decent holes and the blocking has been pretty good in the run game but the Jackson TD was an exceptionally timed cut back and acceleration by Jackson, his other long run was a crease he had to turn sideways to sneak through into the secondary, and the long CJ run he broke a tackle after being immediately hit in the backfield.

I'm not complaining at all, because it's working and our offense is on fire. The real story here on the line is few mistakes. It's the first time in a decade that the RBs are doing their job well and the line is doing their job well enough AT THE SAME TIME, and the talent of the RBs are allowed to shine. Before it always seemed like one guy would screw up or the RB would be great on a run with no hole, or there would be a hole that the RB missed, or there would be a nice play reversed by a penalty. I hope it's not just luck, and I don't think it is. There is something different to this team.

This is the truth. The playcalling is being used to help the O-line. How many 7 step drops have you seen Fitz make in 2 weeks? How many 5 step drops?

That's not an indictment of the line. That's the sign of good coaching (coordinating). What concerns me is what do we do when a team clamps down hard on all of the underneath stuff? When we have to loosen up a defense can we? (do we have a WR who can stretch the field and can the line give Fitzgibbons time?)

It could be that our short stuff (which sometimes turns into long stuff) is good enough to stand on its own. All you have to do is look to ne* for an example of this working consistently.

<snip>

In my opinion, the difference is the coaching and what is being emphasized -- namely, consistency. That word is used about twenty times in every Gailey press conference, and the players are using it repeatedly as well. This staff has ground it into the players' heads that you have to do the same thing every play -- it's not good enough to do it four times but on the 5th take a play off. It has become part of the culture of the team -- and that's a great thing.

When a team is averaging 39.5 points/game, given up one sack, and is averaging 5.9 ypc, yeah I'd say the oline is doing a good job. They also have played against pro bowl caliber players in Seymour and Hali.

All preseason people wanted to rip them. They are a young group and the lockout hurt their development. I look forward to their continue growth (sucks Urbik is out). But give credit where credit is due. They are playing at a very high level.