An alarming stat

The Big Cat

I posted a similar thought in another thread. If KC didn't panic and start throwing like crazy, and just kept pounding the ball. How would of the run D held up? I didn't think we were setting the edge good enough. The runners were getting around the corners quite a bit. The up middle runs were stopped pretty though. And last year we could not do that.

Not only that, new KC OC Jim Zorn started the game with Charles and McCluster over Thomas Jones, which was the exact opposite of what Charlie Weiss did last year with the same players. Weiss started Jones to pound the ball and soften up the D and then let Charles loose.Needless to say that Jim Zorn might be fired again shortly, or at the least lose his play calling and offensive game planning ability taken away. That KC offense was horrid at QB also, Matt Cassell was terribad all day.

I give props to the Bills new D for certain, they only allowed 7 points and the had the better turnover ratio. Right now the Bills have the #3 defense and are 3rd in the turnover ratio which is a huge improvement over last year. I'm not worried at all that the Bills are currently18th against the run because they just played the team that was the best running team in the NFL last season.

Lets just hope they keep improving and beat the hell outta Tom Brady in week 3

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only that, new KC OC Jim Zorn started the game with Charles and McCluster over Thomas Jones, which was the exact opposite of what Charlie Weiss did last year with the same players. Weiss started Jones to pound the ball and soften up the D and then let Charles loose.Needless to say that Jim Zorn might be fired again shortly, or at the least lose his play calling and offensive game planning ability taken away. That KC offense was horrid at QB also, Matt Cassell was terribad all day.

I give props to the Bills new D for certain, they only allowed 7 points and the had the better turnover ratio. Right now the Bills have the #3 defense and are 3rd in the turnover ratio which is a huge improvement over last year. I'm not worried at all that the Bills are currently18th against the run because they just played the team that was the best running team in the NFL last season.

Zorn isn't calling the plays; the ghost of Fred Gwynne was up in the press box doing that.

I think the Chiefs abandoned the run far too early.

And yes, watching the game, we did a good job smothering them on first down. What was more curious to me was the lack of runs on second down to get into a third and short situations.

If anyone here knows anything about me, I'm HARDLY of the doom and gloom, pee in the corn flakes, spin a win to a negative type poster. That wasn't the point of this thread, though I do understand how it could be interpreted as such.

Our D did look gassed though at times. And I was just wondering if anyone else out there feels as though we might have benefited from some coaching missteps from the Chiefs.

That's all.

Actually I do know that you are not a doom and gloom guy....I just interpreted it as trying to see why we did so well against a team that still had a high YPC. Much the same way I hope the bills coaches are also thinking so they can make adjustments to the few things the Cheifs DID do well.

I think the Chiefs abandoned the run because they felt the game was getting away from them much like most teams do.....but that they still ran here and there against defense that were obivious to stop the pass....

Our offense isn't going to look this good every week.....I mean lets face it Fitz was threading teh fricken needle especially on that pass to Donald Jones....BUT I do feel very good about what the offense did because the Chiefs DO have a good defense.....then won their division last year.....and we beat them in the Arrowhead.

Not much to be unhappy about....but I do see the need to analize the win. Other teams will be watching this fim to.

I'm sorry, but anyone who thought KC ran the ball "successfully" in that game doesn't know much about football. I don't care what the YPC were.

I agree ... on the one long Charles run our DE (Edwards?) lost the edge due to an excellent block and I think Merriman was not on the field for the play. Right now I can't remember the other long run but to otherwise hold a top running team to less than 4 yards a carry is what you want to happen. Two long meaningless rushes with containment the rest of the game I'll take every time.

And, I think Dareus may have had some first game jitters because he wasn't quite as aggressive as in the preseason.

All I can say is a BILLS' BLOW out with the opponent held to a touchdown ... that's championship play (At least for this week.).

Frankly, I can't believe anyone is ripping the Bills today ... unless they are trolls because the national media when not saying how bad Kansas City played is talking about how good the Bills D was.

Always a pleasure, Chef. Always a pleasure.

Now scurry home, your rock awaits you.

And I think it's safe to say I understood the game better from under a rock with a radio that you did with a flat screen HD-TV. But I guess today it's all about the numbers even taken out of context.

As far as coaches are concerned, the two most important rushing stats are rushing YPA and total number of rushing attempts. They aren't evaluated separately. When a high rushing YPA is accompanied by a high number of attempts it raises a huge flag. When a low rushing YPA is accompanied by a high number of attempts, it's still a cause for concern. When coaches see a high rushing YPA but a low number of attempts, that tells them their defense is doing ok for the most part and is forcing a team to be more one dimensional. It's all indicative of which team is controlling the play and time of possession.

Our D controlled the play yesterday and I think the coaching staff would be just as pleased to hold the Raiduhs to the same numbers.

GO BILLS!!!

Another in an endless series of misleading stats. I think anyone watching that game would say that Jamal Charles was pretty much a non-factor. If you were a Chief fan, sure you may say that he should have been given the rock a little more. But if that were true, he may not have got the same YPC. The Bills, for all intents and purposes, took Charles out of the game, like they did Dwayne Bowe. To me, it was great run defense, and just what I wanted to see, despite the stats.

And despite reports to the contrary, stats do lie. They lie all the time. In fact, you can't trust the bastards.

Yep. 10 Carries for 56 yards, one did bust out for 22, so outside of the one run he did break, he had 9 carries for 34 yards - a paltry (for Charles) 3.7 yard per carry with one fumble while our offense was running up the score.

They didn't stick with Charles because it wasn't working, and certainly not fast enough to catch up to our offense.

Not too shabby for a team that was gouged last year at KC for over 240 rushing yards, 177 given up to Charles alone who was sporting an 8 yd/carry average. We're better this year and stats can be misleading.

I agree and am damn happy with the results. It's just something I will be watching for in the Oakland game.

Not sure, but... were those runs against us when we had a larger lead? Were we in more of a pass coverage D alignment? If so, that would explain some of it. Sorry, I don't know first hand, I missed the game as I was at the Rams/Eagles game.

You are correct. And this board is really silly to think that the run defense was not awesome yesterday.

Six yards per carry.

That's what the Chiefs managed yesterday.

Does anyone else find this stunning?

In a word, no. They only had 18 rushing plays. When they worked, they worked reasonably well. But they didn't work very often, so they didn't get many of 'em.

That's what good D's do.

Try these stats:

# First Downs by Rushing - 4 (HA!)

3rd down conversion efficiency - 23% (Double HA!)

It doesn't matter if the other team breaks the occasional nice run, as long as:

1) it doesn't go for 7

2) our D is stout enough to keep them from stringing a drive together

Or to give an example: If you break a nice run for 18 yards, then rush for 2 yds and 3yds and 1 yds, you've just averaged 6 ypc and gone 4 and out. B-b-b-b-bye!

It was a great game against one of the league's best running games, and not worrisome at all.

Does it mean our run D is "fixed"? Hmmmm, need to see if they can play consistently. Tune in at the bye week.

In a word, no. They only had 18 rushing plays. When they worked, they worked reasonably well. But they didn't work very often, so they didn't get many of 'em.

That's what good D's do.

Try these stats:

# First Downs by Rushing - 4 (HA!)

3rd down conversion efficiency - 23% (Double HA!)

It doesn't matter if the other team breaks the occasional nice run, as long as:

1) it doesn't go for 7

2) our D is stout enough to keep them from stringing a drive together

Or to give an example: If you break a nice run for 18 yards, then rush for 2 yds and 3yds and 1 yds, you've just averaged 6 ypc and gone 4 and out. B-b-b-b-bye!

It was a great game against one of the league's best running games, and not worrisome at all.

Does it mean our run D is "fixed"? Hmmmm, need to see if they can play consistently. Tune in at the bye week.

yeah! <_<

Kc's running was mostly ineffective...they rely on their run game to set them up for 2nd and manageable and 3rd and short. Judging it this way, KC failed miserably establishing the run. Yeah they popped a few good runs...so what. Every team has that happen. KC ran the ball on 3rd down most in NFL last year and threw almost every 3rd down this game..that had to say something about what KC thought about their ability to get those yards when they needed to against us...