Where's Sully?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to give him credit- he ate his crow and gave credit to the guys who deserved it.

The tone of his twitter feed is refreshingly different to the tone of his columns.

The thing you have to realize about Sullivan is that he's from New England* (therefore, by definition, a fair-weather ersatz fan* to begin with) who admittedly is not a Bills fan - and, given the cynical nature of the typical New England* sports fan*, will jump right back off off the bandwagon at the first sign of adversity.

Lurker's bird has the right idea.

Thanks Zulu/Hondo - I got a little over-optimistic on total yardage, but nailed the 4 Fitz TDs, and wasn't too far off on time of possession and Bills takeways...

link

One down, eighteen to go...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

I laughed at your silly optimism when I saw your prediction... but you were closer to the final score than just about anyone

You guys are ridiculous in your hatred of this guy. He's pretty damned cynical, but he's usually right-on. Judging by his twitter feed during the game, he's willing to give credit where credit is due and is not afraid to admit when he is wrong. My bet is that his column heaps a lot of praise on the Bills, but cautions that it's only one game. Which it is. Hell of a game though!

He's steaming right now. He's busy rewriting his column for tomorrow's paper (deadline = 7:00PM EDT) that he wrote in the leisurely comfort of his hammock last week while sipping Campari on ice about how The Bills are the same old bills and Chan/Nix/Ralph are cheating the fans in Western NY out of their hard earned money.

Hey Sully - how about earning YOUR keep for a change! Same old shite you've been writing for over a decade.

:lol: :lol: :lol: dude that is awesome!!!

Gailey-Fitz chemistry makes offense a gas

by Jerry Sullivan

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article553700.ece

"Experience has taught us the perils of overreacting to one game, or two or four. But I have to admit, this one feels different to me, too. You can't watch a team dominate on the road, against a defending divisional champion, and not come away with the sense that things might finally be starting to look up for the Bills."

Edited by papazoid

Gailey-Fitz chemistry makes offense a gas

by Jerry Sullivan

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article553700.ece

"Experience has taught us the perils of overreacting to one game, or two or four. But I have to admit, this one feels different to me, too. You can't watch a team dominate on the road, against a defending divisional champion, and not come away with the sense that things might finally be starting to look up for the Bills."

I appreciate him Writing something like this but let's be comepletely honest here, he could have wrote most of that in the offseason. It just shows that he didn't pay any attention and doesn't know about football and only pays attention when your team is either winning the SB or is named the Jets, Cowboys or Steelers. 90% of this piece could have been reported in preseason or before that even started. How is it that many here on this board all said the same things about Nelson, Barnett, Merriman and Dareus months ago but he couldn't see it?

On another note, I listed to Scrote and Balldog for about 5 minutes before I had to turn it off after the game. All I heard in those few minutes were that the Chiefs weren't really that good last year anyway and Cassell had bruised ribs and was playing injured. F$&king losers. If we win a few games these guys will be all over the Fitz for MVP bandwagon talk.

To be fair, I don't think anyone predicted a torching like the one we saw today. I'm sure Sully will react with surprise, just like most of us around here have.

Warren Sapp kind of did, actually. He said the D would get it done, not the offense though.

I made a post asking what exactly the local sports media does when they are allegedly covering the team. Fr the Bills to roll over KC after every local pundit, to a man, said the Bills were another disaster, tells me these guys simply are not doing their jobs well at all. They should all be embarrassed.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Can anyone tell me the last time they read one of Sullivan's columns about the Bills or Sabres, and thought to themselves "hmm,that's an interesting and novel thought", or "hmm, I did not know that"?

Now you are being the one who is cynical.

Easy on Felser, cowboy. He has forgotten more about football than you will ever know. <_<

the operative word is "forgotten".. he's a old fool the way he writes now!

stay retired larry ,you earned it, stop embarassing yourself with plagerized articles,, is it plagerizum if he doesn't remembering reading it?

Edited by tombstone56

Sully is the friend who always points out that every silver lining really covers a dark cloud. If the sun is shining and you say, "What a beautiful day!", Sully will respond, "Yeah, but it will rain tomorrow." Just by chance, sometimes he'll be right.

I wonder what he'll say about the KC win?

Wonder no longer.

Sully on Bills

For Sully, it's a (relative) praise-fest where he consumes a minor mouthful of crow:

Maybe I underestimated this team. It doesn't have many established stars, but it has a lot of proud young football players who believe they're better than the critics think. They actually believed they were going to be good, which counts for something.

However, just as you say, true to form, he does point out the rain clouds:

This was the largest margin of victory in a season opener in franchise history. It was the most impressive win of any kind since the 31-0 victory over New England in the '03 opener. Of course, we know what came of that big start, and the 4-0 start in '08.

Experience has taught us the perils of overreacting to one game, or two or four.

?? Realistic ??

You guys are ridiculous in your hatred of this guy. He's pretty damned cynical, but he's usually right-on. Judging by his twitter feed during the game, he's willing to give credit where credit is due and is not afraid to admit when he is wrong. My bet is that his column heaps a lot of praise on the Bills, but cautions that it's only one game. Which it is. Hell of a game though!

??

I don't hate him at all. For all I know, he's a warm and witty guy in real life

I dislike his writing style, which would never induce me to buy a paper - I read them online when they're linked from the TBD homepage.

And he's clearly chosen a particular style of writing and type of voice - his perogative, and right now it has him gainfully employed, so it "works for him".

The posters here pretty much have a sound understanding of exactly what that style of writing and voice entail, and it's all about being clever in cynicism.

I'd have more respect if I felt his praise today was genuine, instead of bringing up 2008 and 2009.

Before we get all warm and fuzzy with Sully, let me just remind you of a few of his quotes in his last few columns:

"The Bills are still a bad team trying to become average. They don't have the overall talent or depth to compete on a consistent basis. They will need a lot of things to fall into place to approach the .500 level this year."

"That's a lot of questions for a team that some critics are picking to challenge .500. I think they're still bottoming out"

Those are both quotes from his column within the last month. To me, it's just a shining example of how little these guys who write about sports actually know.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

I think some people make the mistake of thinking a column (opinion piece) is the same as a journalistic article (verified sources, indisputable content).

John Wawrow writes journalistic articles, Sullivan writes opinion pieces as such Sullivan qualifies as writer more so then journalist, however the term journalist (*cough* Fiox News *cough*) has been dilluted over the years to the point where both of them qualify as a journalist nowadays in the eye of the public at least. Bascily Sullivan could be a forum poster that is paid to post topics, with the difference being that he does so in the BN.

Compared to some forum posters Sullivan is an eternal optimist.

Before we get all warm and fuzzy with Sully, let me just remind you of a few of his quotes in his last few columns:

"The Bills are still a bad team trying to become average. They don't have the overall talent or depth to compete on a consistent basis. They will need a lot of things to fall into place to approach the .500 level this year."

"That's a lot of questions for a team that some critics are picking to challenge .500. I think they're still bottoming out"

Those are both quotes from his column within the last month. To me, it's just a shining example of how little these guys who write about sports actually know.

Maybe before you call out Sully about being wrong, the Bills should play more than one game. ;)

Key is the word think. It's the paper version of imho (In My Humble Opinion). Wasnt he completly right when he said that's a lot of questions? Were the Bills not a bad team last year (imho a bad team that was showing flashes of promise)? Did we not lack overall talent and depth?

Truth be told, as much as Jerry gets exposed to the Bills he should see and have seen the change/rebuild on defense that took place; question if that unit is ready now, question if it will be a top unit, see the positives and see the negatives and bring an opinion about that, as the draft focus next year will most likely focus on the offense 100% (with the exception of a CB maybe).

If you are going to call him out for being a negative nancy than call him out for saying bad team trying to become average (instead of bad team trying to become good).

Honestly, you have been a Bills fan for long enough, tell me, did you not even for one second think going into the second half receiving the ball with a 20 - 7 lead, we can still loose this / give this away?

How so? Care to answer my question?

Experience has taught us the perils of overreacting to one game, or two or four.

We'll see whether Sullivan heeds his own advice. Doubt it, though.

Key is the word think. It's the paper version of imho (In My Humble Opinion). Wasnt he completly right when he said that's a lot of questions? Were the Bills not a bad team last year (imho a bad team that was showing flashes of promise)? Did we not lack overall talent and depth?

Truth be told, as much as Jerry gets exposed to the Bills he should see and have seen the change/rebuild on defense that took place; question if that unit is ready now, question if it will be a top unit, see the positives and see the negatives and bring an opinion about that, as the draft focus next year will most likely focus on the offense 100% (with the exception of a CB maybe).

If you are going to call him out for being a negative nancy than call him out for saying bad team trying to become average (instead of bad team trying to become good).

Honestly, you have been a Bills fan for long enough, tell me, did you not even for one second think going into the second half receiving the ball with a 20 - 7 lead, we can still loose this / give this away?

Oh I absolutely wasn't comfortable with a 13 points lead! :)

I'm not ready to annoint the Bills as a playoff contender. I think they'll beat the Raiders next week but the true test for me will be how they play against the Patriots. The Pats are the measuring stick in the division and will be a good gauage of where we are as a team. If the Bills can make a statement in that game then I will begin to believe we've turned the corner.

My biggest issue with Sully isn't that he's critical of the team, it's that he very rarely has ANYTHING positive to say. Even the moderately knowledgable Bills fan could see that the team made huge improvements in the offseason. To not acknowledge that is disingenuous.

Does anyone really believe that if the Bills won 12 games this year that Sully would admit he doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

You're implying that, had the Bills lost this 'one game', Sully would have waited to write another blistering 'told ya so' column? :unsure:

Of course not!!! To quote Sullivan "Experience has taught us the perils of overreacting to one game, or two or four.".

Unless they're losses, right Jerry, you miserable POS?

"Maybe I underestimated this team. It doesn't have many established stars, but it has a lot of proud young football players who believe they're better than the critics think. They actually believed they were going to be good, which counts for something."

What?!? A positive column from the Ol' Salty Dog, Jerry Sullivan. I know it's only one game, but hey, it's a start!

My link

"Maybe I underestimated this team. It doesn't have many established stars, but it has a lot of proud young football players who believe they're better than the critics think. They actually believed they were going to be good, which counts for something."

What?!? A positive column from the Ol' Salty Dog, Jerry Sullivan. I know it's only one game, but hey, it's a start!

My link

Read between the lines a bit. Still gets his shots in.

PTR

Oh I absolutely wasn't comfortable with a 13 points lead! :)

I'm not ready to annoint the Bills as a playoff contender. I think they'll beat the Raiders next week but the true test for me will be how they play against the Patriots. The Pats are the measuring stick in the division and will be a good gauage of where we are as a team. If the Bills can make a statement in that game then I will begin to believe we've turned the corner.

My biggest issue with Sully isn't that he's critical of the team, it's that he very rarely has ANYTHING positive to say. Even the moderately knowledgable Bills fan could see that the team made huge improvements in the offseason. To not acknowledge that is disingenuous.

Does anyone really believe that if the Bills won 12 games this year that Sully would admit he doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

+1

I get the sense that Sully uses negativity as his schtick. He knows he'll rile people up by being a Negative Nancy. It's kind of like those political talk show hosts. They're either absurdly right wing or absurdly left wing because moderates aren't interesting.

If negativity is his schtick, I don't like it. Furthermore, his excessively critical attitude prevents him from developing relationships at OBD and so he doesn't have any sources. Usually beat writers will have access to inside information, but not Sully.

I have to give him credit, though. Today he admitted he might have underestimated the Bills. Today's article was good.

Edited by hondo in seattle

People really need to get a grip when it comes to the sour grapes bashing of Jerry Sullivan and the rest of the national sports media. Thread after thread bashes him, ESPN, various radio personalities, etc. all because they disparage the Buffalo Bills.

What the heck do you expect people to say about a team that has been just about the worst team in the entire NFL over the span of an ENTIRE DECADE?

Do you honestly believe that any journalist would have a job (save Chris Brown, perhaps) if they wrote positive things about such a historically impotent team?

Seriously - what do you expect folks to say about a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade?

I don't need to know your amount of football knowledge to form an opinion that Felser has you outdistanced by a large margin.

You may change your opinion if I gave you my background, but instead I've decided to defend my self by actually posting his column so you can read it >> http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/larry-felser/article536546.ece If you have an ounce of Bills pride this morning, you will have to admit that some things Larry said in this column simply do not describe the Bills & are way off base. The only derogatory I thing I said is that he dug himself a hole, as Sully has. I don't see how you can deny this fact after reading this article.

Look, I met Mr. Felser roughly 50 years ago. I've heard inside stories about him in my house when I was a kid. I think he's had a great career. Way back, I couldn't wait to read his column on Monday mornings, especially after a Bills victory. I agree with your assesment concerning his wealth of knowledge. But, IMHO, what takes a career from the "great" status & catapults it to the elite status, is knowing when to hang up your cleats.

People really need to get a grip when it comes to the sour grapes bashing of Jerry Sullivan and the rest of the national sports media. Thread after thread bashes him, ESPN, various radio personalities, etc. all because they disparage the Buffalo Bills.

What the heck do you expect people to say about a team that has been just about the worst team in the entire NFL over the span of an ENTIRE DECADE?

Do you honestly believe that any journalist would have a job (save Chris Brown, perhaps) if they wrote positive things about such a historically impotent team?

Seriously - what do you expect folks to say about a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade?

You have a point, I suppose.

But Jerry just seems negative about everything. We've had some wins over the years, some good coaches and good players... It's not as if there has been NOTHING good to talk about this past decade. But Jerry's focus is almost universally on the bad, which he often exaggerates.

Can anyone tell me the last time they read one of Sullivan's columns about the Bills or Sabres, and thought to themselves "hmm,that's an interesting and novel thought", or "hmm, I did not know that"?

How so? Care to answer my question?

Don't really care but ok... In general I like reading his columns, specifically liked his start of the training camp one recently that springs to mind. I often find his columns an entertaining realistic read with a pessimistic tendency, something recent history certainly warrants. While your opinion may be (or seems to be) that everything he writes is garbage and not worth reading mine is the opposite, cant say I always agree but he certainly has a sharp eye on the Bills and I do like his sense of humor.

HIs Twitter on gameday was entertaining as well http://twitter.com/#!/TBNSully to quote one "Could Fitz be on his way to 30 TD passes? No bet with Jeremy this year to run in my underwear!"

Don't really care but ok... In general I like reading his columns, specifically liked his start of the training camp one recently that springs to mind. I often find his columns an entertaining realistic read with a pessimistic tendency, something recent history certainly warrants. While your opinion may be (or seems to be) that everything he writes is garbage and not worth reading mine is the opposite, cant say I always agree but he certainly has a sharp eye on the Bills and I do like his sense of humor.

HIs Twitter on gameday was entertaining as well http://twitter.com/#!/TBNSully to quote one "Could Fitz be on his way to 30 TD passes? No bet with Jeremy this year to run in my underwear!"

If you find some of his stuff entertaining, then that's fine.

My point is that seemingly none of his stuff is thought-provoking or fresh.