Insider: Nix hasn't addressed Bills greatest needs

Amstel

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Who is Jamie Kirlew? Never heard of him. Is he on Buffalo's roster?

2. Nick Barnett did well in a 3-4, but not as well in a 4-3.

3. Agree on the OL.

4. CJ Spiller hasn't even started his second year yet. Two years running? What a maroon.

5. Address the QB position with who? Fitz is just fine.

6. DL, beeotch, DL. Gonna be monster.

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• "I keep hearing what a great job (Bills GM) Buddy Nix is doing. The offensive line sucks. He did not address the quarterback position. (C.J.) Spiller is still struggling two years running. How do you win with (Kraig) Urbik, (Erik) Pears and Demetrius Bell starting on your offensive line? And there is nothing behind them. They paid Nick Barnett a ton of money to play in a system that he is not good at. He is a 4-3 Mike 'backer who is on the downside of his career. Who are their outside 'backers? (Chris) Kelsay and (Shawne) Merriman are old and broken down. There's nothing behind them. I'm shocked Jammie Kirlew is on an NFL roster. Buddy has been around awhile — he must have the hype machine working overtime. Unless I'm missing something, that is a bad football team."

Have at it.....

Its not a complete job yet but to say we havent made moves to improve our team is just wrong.

The defense was awful lst uear and we couldnt stop the run. We added Dareus, Troup, Carrington, Sheppard and White, Moats in the draft alone on the front 7. We got much bigger. The offense was ok last year. The defense was not. Nix addressed that. Offense will be next year.

Barnett was the 3rd best MLB/ILB in 2009, the first year the Packers switched to the 3-4, when they had the #1 rated run defense. Surely he's somewhat less than that now, since he was the 2nd string guy last year on the Packers between injury and good younger players ahead of him, because they're not going to sit one of the top MLB's. Just a non-point. Much of these things are. "Wow, Brian Hoyer is taking a considerable portion of New England's QB snaps... really shows the state of NE's roster"... Really? Does it?? Zilch.

If you read all of this "scouts" opinions he rips the Chiefs as bad as us. Oddly though he mentions only Haley and not Pioli even though he rips apart the players they have brought in...... he even says "This will be Haley's last year and Todd knows it" or something to that affect.

As far as the Barnett signing- was there any superstar ILBs out there we couldve/shouldve signed? I cant think of any but could be wrong. I thought Poz was a good guy but not worth the money they're paying him and Barnett seems 100 times better at covering TE's. 12mm doesnt seem like a lot over three years in todays NFL. Plus who's to say he'll be here past year two? If they develop these draft picks he will become expendable.

OL well as much as I wanna be an optimist they have done seemingly little to nothing to upgrade the line.

As far as Spiller goes I still dont quite understand the pick but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as this is only his second year and maybe the "light will go on" for him this year.

QB? Well I dont think there was anyone to acquire in FA that would be a "franchise guy" and trading for Kolb and giving him a huge contract would've been a mistake. As far as the draft goes I can only trust that if they didnt feel any of these QBs were "franchise" guys then why draft one? I like Fitz and I know he doesnt fall into the "elite" catagory however we could do a lot worse. He's got moxie, leadership, intelligence and is mobile. Maybe he will never lead us to the promised land but at this point I dont think we had any truly better options....

If you read all of this "scouts" opinions he rips the Chiefs as bad as us. Oddly though he mentions only Haley and not Pioli even though he rips apart the players they have brought in...... he even says "This will be Haley's last year and Todd knows it" or something to that affect.

As far as the Barnett signing- was there any superstar ILBs out there we couldve/shouldve signed? I cant think of any but could be wrong. I thought Poz was a good guy but not worth the money they're paying him and Barnett seems 100 times better at covering TE's. 12mm doesnt seem like a lot over three years in todays NFL. Plus who's to say he'll be here past year two? If they develop these draft picks he will become expendable.

OL well as much as I wanna be an optimist they have done seemingly little to nothing to upgrade the line.

As far as Spiller goes I still dont quite understand the pick but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as this is only his second year and maybe the "light will go on" for him this year.

QB? Well I dont think there was anyone to acquire in FA that would be a "franchise guy" and trading for Kolb and giving him a huge contract would've been a mistake. As far as the draft goes I can only trust that if they didnt feel any of these QBs were "franchise" guys then why draft one? I like Fitz and I know he doesnt fall into the "elite" catagory however we could do a lot worse. He's got moxie, leadership, intelligence and is mobile. Maybe he will never lead us to the promised land but at this point I dont think we had any truly better options....

Is that article all that one scout's opinion or a collection of comments from different people?

PTR

Buddy went out and addressed and fixed our biggest problem, and made it into a strength.

Today, how do you know this?

I read right here on this board 2 years ago that we "addressed" ("fixed"?) our o-line 2 years ago with Wood, Levitre, Wang...yet here we are with a consensus that our o-line is in need of repair.

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• "I keep hearing what a great job (Bills GM) Buddy Nix is doing. The offensive line sucks. He did not address the quarterback position. (C.J.) Spiller is still struggling two years running. How do you win with (Kraig) Urbik, (Erik) Pears and Demetrius Bell starting on your offensive line? And there is nothing behind them. They paid Nick Barnett a ton of money to play in a system that he is not good at. He is a 4-3 Mike 'backer who is on the downside of his career. Who are their outside 'backers? (Chris) Kelsay and (Shawne) Merriman are old and broken down. There's nothing behind them. I'm shocked Jammie Kirlew is on an NFL roster. Buddy has been around awhile — he must have the hype machine working overtime. Unless I'm missing something, that is a bad football team."

Have at it.....

Am I missing something? You said "quotes" as in plural, from three different sources...but all I see is one quote from someone who knows little about the bills. You can tell when he says Merriman is old (which he is not) and broken down (which he has been having a great camp and preseason so far, so wrong again).

Edited by Alphadawg7

Have at it.....

When people require anonymity to voice their opinion, I stop listening, for all the obvious reasons.

Is that article all that one scout's opinion or a collection of comments from different people?

PTR

I misread it PTR its from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity. So its a collection of people's quotes

i don't quite get how the bills were supposed to address the shite D and OL in the same draft. they allegedly went after clabo and didn't get him. which OLineman did we miss? the green bay kid who went late in the 1st round? can't fix this mess in one or two drafts. nix is doing fine.

Both Kelsay and Merriman (our starting OLBs) were out for Saturday's game, and Carrington/Batten filled in nicely. I have no problem with those guys starting if Merriman gets injured, and we finally realize Kelsay sucks. Behind them we have Moats who played well last year, given he was a late round rookie. We do have depth at OLB.

Actually, the Bills have run a 4-3 the majority of the time this preseason because of the lack of ANY QUALITY DEPTH at OLB.

So you're counting on Moats, who has been moved back and forth from OLB to ILB 3 or 4 times already? While Batten doesn't fall flat on his face a la Maybin, he looks average at best. Coleman has been completely underwhelming too. Carrington is not suited to play the position. There is a reason that there has never been a 6-5 305lb LB. He looks like he is going to be a solid DE but to count on him as a OLB is ridiculous.

Again, the definition of depth is not a bunch of warm bodies because that would mean there is not a team in the NFL without depth. Hell, that would mean the OLine has depth! Depth means having a player who can make an impact off of the bench when someone (Merriman?) goes down. Nice Pollyanna routine though.

By the way, this is from presumably a different anonymous scout, same feature:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/08/02/insider-richardson-treats-his-panthers-well

"I like what the Bills are doing with Brad Smith (allowing him to play quarterback). It shows Chan Gailey can think outside the box. (GM) Buddy Nix doesn't get enough credit for shaping the roster in San Diego."