Owning Up

Apologizing without trying to make yourself still sound right shows character. This shows fear of libel.

That's it. He basically says, I could prove that I was right but I'm not willing to give up my source. Not an apology, just trying to cover his ass.

"To prove at this point my story was accurate other than the using the word “steroids”, I’d essentially have to compromise and potentially even “out” my sources. If there’s one journalistic item I’ll continue to do right by it’s that I’ll never under any circumstance turn on a source."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, i posted the comment "So are you putting your 8 year old daughter in the middle of the thruway?"

I doubt it will ever make it past "moderation" though...

This was my exact thought too! He said nothing about that, yet essentially he wished his 8 year old get hit by a car if the story wasnt accurate...wonder how his wife is viewing that comment now after seeing this so called apology

If Moran wants to improve as a writer, learning how to express himself concisely would be a good start. The length of his apology steals from whatever genuine contrition exists and screams "Look! I'm a good guy! I'm apologizing! Respect me!"

I heard his fact checker is also his editor.

Yet another sighting of the rare species, doucheous baggus maximus.

Moran's bigger problem, other than being a complete hack and barely literate, is that he STILL seems to think it's about him personally. I've never in my life seen a more self-centered, self-serving excuse for an "apology". The dude uses "me" and "I" more in a single article than I, a raging egomaniac, do in an entire day. :wallbash: The story's not about you, Moran. Get that through your thick, useless !@#$ing skull.

At least he manned up. That's more than a lot of hacks do.

Think he'll be fine after a while. People tend to forgive these things. I would stay away from Merriman for a while, though. :pirate:

PM, if you're reading, this ex reporter has some tips for you:

•  
  • Stick to analysis and opinion, not investigative journalism. That was the worst investigative report I've ever read. Two weeks to prepare for that heap?
  • Learn to write better. Tip One...It's conscience, not conscious. Tip Two...Refer to people as "who," not "that." If you claim to be a journo, you need to be able to write correctly.
  • From a PR angle, keep apologies direct...and short. Every word you write will be dissected. This was a rambling mind dump.
  • Listen to Darryl Talley.
  • You also owe your 8-year-old, and wife, an apology. :pirate:

[*]Learn to write better. Tip One...It's conscience, not conscious. Tip Two...Refer to people as "who," not "that." If you claim to be a journo, you need to be able to write correctly.

In his defense, I know professional writers who can barely write a complete sentence, much less spell, much less use punctuation*. That's why editors exist.

(*Yes, jw, I'm thinking of you. :nana:)

In his defense, I know professional writers who can barely write a complete sentence, much less spell, much less use punctuation*. That's why editors exist.

(*Yes, jw, I'm thinking of you. :nana:)

whatever my galdurned short-falling might be, and i got plenty of 'em, just don't be expectin' no 600-word quasi apology from me, buster. :pirate:

at least the AP got the Merriman story right. and if you're looking for it, good luck finding it.

jw

He didnt have to write anything regarding this article again if he decided. I respect his character but at the same time Moran hasnt said a real apology. Plus, if you apologize and make it drawn out like this, youre too arrogant to admit youre wrong.

"To prove at this point my story was accurate other than the using the word "steroids", I'd essentially have to compromise and potentially even "out" my sources. If there's one journalistic item I'll continue to do right by it's that I'll never under any circumstance turn on a source.

The story was written poorly and irresponsibly by me, .."

Is it just me, or does this seem written by an 8 yr. old?:unsure:

I thought.. nevermind.

Think he'll be fine after a while. People tend to forgive these things. I would stay away from Merriman for a while, though. :pirate:

•  
  • Stick to analysis and opinion, not investigative journalism. That was the worst investigative report I've ever read. Two weeks to prepare for that heap?
  • Learn to write better. Tip One...It's conscience, not conscious. Tip Two...Refer to people as "who," not "that." If you claim to be a journo, you need to be able to write correctly.
  • From a PR angle, keep apologies direct...and short. Every word you write will be dissected. This was a rambling mind dump.

How about Who 'dat?

He seems to be saying that he only got the word steroids wrong. Like it could be HGH or something like that.

Unimpressed here also. I caught the same tone - he also seemed to be saying it was potentially damaging someone's life that truly bothered him, not factual inaccuracy.

I was left with the feeling he was saying "oh, there really was a story here about something illegal and unethical but I'm not really going to tell you because I don't want to hurt anyone"

As an apology, it struck me as....lukewarm. Like a kid saying "sorry I wrecked your car but really, you actually did deserve it, I just decided I don't like smashing into cars"

?????

I'm not sure that was a full apology. Sounds like he was still trying to save face a little there. Either way, I never trusted him to begin with so it doesn't matter. Just a moron trying to get some attention.

ultimately, he maintains that merriman was caught with something that was noteworthy, just not arrest worthy, but he refuses to identify what it is.... much like the guy in the thread here. perhaps the similarities between the poster here and moran were close to what some here speculated.

•  

all very true. for someone that aspires to write at any level..... hes bad. many people on this board throw casual posts up with higher caliber english.

a tiny bit of me is still curious what he is alleging was in the car, not as an effort to screw anyone over... just curiosity over what the big to do was really about. i will be the first to disqualify myself in a question of PEDs, but i never pictured hardcore anabolic steroids from his original story. I thought it probably leaned towards some sort of banned supplements and that moran was just a very poor writer kind of situation

Yet another sighting of the rare species, doucheous baggus maximus.

Moran's bigger problem, other than being a complete hack and barely literate, is that he STILL seems to think it's about him personally. I've never in my life seen a more self-centered, self-serving excuse for an "apology". The dude uses "me" and "I" more in a single article than I, a raging egomaniac, do in an entire day. :wallbash: The story's not about you, Moran. Get that through your thick, useless !@#$ing skull.

it really is amazing how he made an article about falsely accusing someone of having steroids about his own plight

ultimately, he maintains that merriman was caught with something that was noteworthy, just not arrest worthy, but he refuses to identify what it is.... much like the guy in the thread here. perhaps the similarities between the poster here and moran were close to what some here speculated.

Doesn't matter. Moron had 3 weeks from the time the story "happened" to when he reported it. That he couldn't even get it right that it wasn't steroids, destroys his cred. He could easily and at any time said "PEDs," but he specifically said "steroids." And without getting "busted," which was another mistake by Moron, there was no evidence except for what his "source" claims, but Moron won't out that "source" and that "source" won't talk because he/she has to evidence.

Unimpressed here also. I caught the same tone - he also seemed to be saying it was potentially damaging someone's life that truly bothered him, not factual inaccuracy.

I was left with the feeling he was saying "oh, there really was a story here about something illegal and unethical but I'm not really going to tell you because I don't want to hurt anyone"

As an apology, it struck me as....lukewarm. Like a kid saying "sorry I wrecked your car but really, you actually did deserve it, I just decided I don't like smashing into cars"

?????

You totally nailed it..........The Talley thing is that when Moran tweeted the thing about his 8 year old daughter, Talley tweeted him and said he should never say anything like that. Moran did agree with him right away.

Doesn't matter. Moron had 3 weeks from the time the story "happened" to when he reported it. That he couldn't even get it right that it wasn't steroids, destroys his cred. He could easily and at any time said "PEDs," but he specifically said "steroids." And without getting "busted," which was another mistake by Moron, there was no evidence except for what his "source" claims, but Moron won't out that "source" and that "source" won't talk because he/she has to evidence.

My point was it was probably him peddling the story on here.