Owning Up

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He also wrote "I’ve gotten spit up and chewed out" when the actual idiomatic phrase is "chewed up and spit out." This is a common and simple figure of speech; if you can't get that right, it doesn't say much for your reliability.

at least he's consistent. his original garbage was "atrociously worded" and his apology is too!

"what I published was NOT completely untrue" -- that's great. try publishing something completely true going forward.

That was a whole lot of blathering text for what basically amounted to two or three sentences of information. And yeah, it would help to know the word "conscience".

Ironically, this "retraction" only buries his credibility further. It's an amateur's take on a very serious component of journalism: how to correct your mistakes.

The first rule: never restate your mistake. Just by doing a simple word count, it's a rule Mr. Moran broke approximately 1,300 times.

Also, there's no "I" in journalism.

He seems to be saying that he only got the word steroids wrong. Like it could be HGH or something like that.

Or "bottled water". He's got a pretty inclusive label going right now for what Merriman had on him.

Ironically, this "retraction" only buries his credibility further. It's an amateur's take on a very serious component of journalism: how to correct your mistakes.

The first rule: never restate your mistake. Just by doing a simple word count, it's a rule Mr. Moran broke approximately 1,300 times.

Also, there's no "I" in journalism.

Yea, great, just state the correction and write that he "regrets" the mistake/situation like every other reputable publication trying to avoid responsibility.

I know nothing of Pat Moran except from this article. He's really bad as a writer (as others have pointed out) but I have to give him credit for at least trying to be accountable/responsible for his mistakes. It is at least refreshing to see, regardless of his motives.

Some people might bash him.....I commend him for writing this when a lot of hack journalists would just wait and hope the thing would blow over.....

This actually GIVES him some credibility in my eyes.....I am a big fan of character

Nowhere in that rambling, incoherent schlock, did I actually see an apology. All I read was a person standing on a soapbox and pretending to be magnanimous to all his haters by giving a half-assed justification for writing what he wrote. Hack writer, scumbag person (read his twitter post stating "if I'm lying may my eight-year-old daughter get hit by a car") and all-around loser.

If he was so sorry, why did he keep stating that there were reasons for the stop that weren't your common variety? Why did he keep writing steroids in quotation marks? If he's sorry, he should say he's sorry and drop it. Thanks to this apology, I can only think about what the stop involved. He must have done something wrong, right? This apology is not the high road, it's a way for Moran to restate that Merriman did something wrong without having to supply evidence. He's simply made another allegation.

Nowhere in that rambling, incoherent schlock, did I actually see an apology. All I read was a person standing on a soapbox and pretending to be magnanimous to all his haters by giving a half-assed justification for writing what he wrote. Hack writer, scumbag person (read his twitter post stating "if I'm lying may my eight-year-old daughter get hit by a car") and all-around loser.

Straight from the article:

"Regardless of anything else, I’m sorry to Merriman for causing him unnecessary grief, forcing major media outlets to investigate him further and causing anyone to question his character due to an inaccurate report. He’s worked hard to get ready for this season and deserves the unwavering support of all Bills fans....

For what it’s worth, I also apologize to the Buffalo fans....

Lastly and most importantly to me, I want to apologize to media members and some Bills players themselves that I know were let down."

They were near the bottom of the article and I count 3 apologies in there.

If he was so sorry, why did he keep stating that there were reasons for the stop that weren't your common variety? Why did he keep writing steroids in quotation marks? If he's sorry, he should say he's sorry and drop it. Thanks to this apology, I can only think about what the stop involved. He must have done something wrong, right? This apology is not the high road, it's a way for Moran to restate that Merriman did something wrong without having to supply evidence. He's simply made another allegation.

I was going to post this. Not an apology so much as a CYA (or CHA in this case) since he says something (which he implies is banned by the NFL) was found, but nothing was reported since whatever it was, was legal. And with no evidence and no boarder (sic) cop likely willing to testify about what was found without evidence to back it up, there was never any story here. Which makes you wonder why this alleged "Bills fan" bothered to report it?

I don't think this was motivated by avoiding a libel lawsuit. If it were, it would be a simple retraction and have much different tone to it.

His article was the ramblings of a very poor writer who seems genuinely sorry.

I think you're on to something. Moran, quite simply put, isn't bright. not even a little bit. Giving him "information" like the Merriman stop is like giving a retard a firecracker. You don't know whats exactly going to happen, but there's going to be a loud bang and a trip to the hospital.

I agree with you to a point, but rather than another allegation, it simply makes me question the validity of his source. It is obvious Moran believes his source, but does anyone else at this point? I certainly don't.

If Moran wants to improve as a writer, learning how to express himself concisely would be a good start. The length of his apology steals from whatever genuine contrition exists and screams "Look! I'm a good guy! I'm apologizing! Respect me!"

That said, it was a much nobler gesture than just slinking into the shadows.

Why would anyone give a blogger the imprimatur of truth? I agree with many of the posts that say a real apology would have been short and without one iota of equivication. That was three pages of puke that still tried to cast some doubt on Merriman. Not a big fan of him in the first place but I'm done with him. He didn't show character here, he likely tried not to get sued.