Glad to see the Chicken Littles are out in full force

eball

But GG, Buddy just told us "it takes time." I'm not sure how much time, but it's longer than 2 full offseasons.

It will take just enough time for the next GM to declare that it will take a bit more time.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The optimists state in this very thread Nix knows the o-line is bad and shouldn't we all realize it takes several years to rebuild.

But then I recall this little gem from a little more than a month ago.

"You know, if a guy comes available that we think can upgrade us, we’ll do it, said Nix. He added "I think that the offensive line has been beat to death. Somebody writes that we need this or somebody says it, and then it goes around, we’ll see. We think we’ve got better players than you guys and maybe the fans think we have."

So I'm left with this question. Did Nix really have faith in this poor excuse for an o-line and is just now realizing how much still needs to be done. In which case I question his ability to analyze talent.

OR

Was he just blowing smoke up our back ends. In which case I'm left to question the veracity of the front office when dealing with their fans.

Four or so days ago he indicated that he is worried about the depth of the offensive line which indicates that he's happy with the starters.

Perhaps in another 4 months he'll come to the realization that something needs to be done with the starters too.

The optimists state in this very thread Nix knows the o-line is bad and shouldn't we all realize it takes several years to rebuild.

"You know, if a guy comes available that we think can upgrade us, well do it, said Nix. He added "I think that the offensive line has been beat to death. Somebody writes that we need this or somebody says it, and then it goes around, well see. We think weve got better players than you guys and maybe the fans think we have."

So I'm left with this question. Did Nix really have faith in this poor excuse for an o-line and is just now realizing how much still needs to be done. In which case I question his ability to analyze talent.OR

Was he just blowing smoke up our back ends. In which case I'm left to question the veracity of the front office when dealing with their fans.

This one. We already knew they can't analyze O-line talent.

+ 1, brilliant post. Can't have your cake and eat it too Buddy.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

The OLine IS bad.

We know this. Chan knows this. The players know this. Buddy knows this.

Just like the Run Defense from last year, it will be addressed when possible. Might have to wait for the draft and next FA period though.

Why does it have to wait? FA ain't over yet. Granted "the best and the brightest" may be gone but there are still better players available than we currently have. I'd like to be at least "marginally entertained" this season... And we have loads of cap space...

The front 7 did pretty well yesterday. The back 4 not so much. How do you explain that?

With the exception of Williams, everyone else has been here over the last couple of years. Though statistics show that our pass defense is somewhat decent, I can't help but wonder how in the hell we didn't rank in the bottom 2 or 3 in that category. Personally, our pass defense is attrocious. We can't cover the TE, we can't cover anything underneath and we have serious issues in 1 on 1 coverage. The only saving grace that our defensive backfield might have this year compared to previous years, is the hope that our revamped front 7 can create a pass rush. Otherwise, we will be here screaming about McLovin, bitching that we paid to much to keep Florence and whining about why didn't we keep Whitner over a converted WR. If we don't create a rush, we will be dead last in pass defense this year.

But GG, Buddy just told us "it takes time." I'm not sure how much time, but it's longer than 2 full offseasons.

Yes, but we build only through the draft, you see. And in the draft we hit on about 33% of our picks. So, I'd expect another 4 to 5 full off-seasons until we get enough talent to fill an NFL-caliber line.

The other alternative would be to sign a couple of vets like Waters, Leonard Davis, and McKinnie to short-term deals. But that would't let us develop the burgeoning stars we have in Wang, Howard, and Wrotto.

"You know, if a guy comes available that we think can upgrade us, we’ll do it, said Nix. He added "I think that the offensive line has been beat to death. Somebody writes that we need this or somebody says it, and then it goes around, we’ll see. We think we’ve got better players than you guys and maybe the fans think we have."

So I'm left with this question. Did Nix really have faith in this poor excuse for an o-line and is just now realizing how much still needs to be done. In which case I question his ability to analyze talent.

OR

Like when Buddy tried to convince us he was getting 15 calls per day about the Bills HC position before he hired Chan?

My favorite was when DJ told the world how happy everyone was when McCargo bounced back after that embarrassing attempt to pawn him off on the Colts.

Just to add a measure of perspective, Bills got mauled by a team that picked ahead of them in the draft.

And for the record, Denver changed their coaching staff and converted to a 4-3 over an off-season minus OTA's. I'm not saying they're world-beaters after one half of starters versus starters, but we were told after last season that these changes equaled a drop in the W category. Interesting to see what Denver does after their 4-12 2010 campaign.

Like when Buddy tried to convince us he was getting 15 calls per day about the Bills HC position before he hired Chan?

My favorite was when DJ told the world how happy everyone was when McCargo bounced back after that embarrassing attempt to pawn him off on the Colts.

No, Buddy said he had 35 calls a day for the HC job AND made fun of Oakland AND claimed 80% of the reporting about the HC search was false. What's Buddy going to claim next? That they need to coach 'em up harder and everything will be all right? I suspect he'll be MIA the first 5-6 weeks of the 2011 season just like he was in 2010 when they proceeded to start off winless.

Yes, but we build only through the draft, you see. And in the draft we hit on about 33% of our picks. So, I'd expect another 4 to 5 full off-seasons until we get enough talent to fill an NFL-caliber line.

The other alternative would be to sign a couple of vets like Waters, Leonard Davis, and McKinnie to short-term deals. But that would't let us develop the burgeoning stars we have in Wang, Howard, and Wrotto.

And when that happens Spiller, Johnson & Jackson will be gone as will all the additions to the defense.

Buddy Nix...it takes time...

Fail!

Actually.....probably the post of the week. He didn't even need to see this game in order to be right.

Isn't this is what Nix's job?!?!? His job is not to regret moments of hindsight, it's to make the right pick which he didn't do! Seriously, the excuse train is insane! Don't mention that he didn't pick Pouncey or Salfold either!

But that's our boy Buddy! If Dareus doesn't fall to him this year he would've screwed that pick up to. Then go ahead and take a CB instead of an O Lineman in the 2nd too! The problem with Buddy is that he's a arrogant hick who thinks he's smarter than everyone else. What you don't want to admit is that he didn't make those picks because he thought Bell and Pears were going to be fine.

Von Miller and Dumerville were blowing past our tackles without the help of a blitz. They were man situations and they straight got beat. Wood was a disaster too...Bunkley ate his lunch last night.

Von Miller and Dumerville were beating BELL NOT PEARS.....get it straight. They were not beating our TACKLES they were getting by our LEFT TACKLE...Pears did fine

In a REAL game Gailey would have made an adjustment and got some chip help on the left side to help out Bell....which would have changed a long of things on the field

Christ you guys....sometimes

The bold is the only thing I have to disagree with. The Run Defense (our BIGGEST weakness last year) is definitely much improved.

The only problem is our Pass Defense sucked bad...

Correct, we held them to around 75 yards rushing but gave up 200 plus yards passing. The screens really hurt us, OLB's need to see those coming. Some seam routes that they burned us on. But the rushing defense was good. The offense wasn't as bad as some people think but an upgrade on the right side is needed. Bell got beat by Vaughn Miller a few times. But I think a lot of LT's are going to get beat by Vaughn Miller.

Correct, we held them to around 75 yards rushing but gave up 200 plus yards passing. The screens really hurt us, OLB's need to see those coming. Some seam routes that they burned us on. But the rushing defense was good. The offense wasn't as bad as some people think but an upgrade on the right side is needed. Bell got beat by Vaughn Miller a few times. But I think a lot of LT's are going to get beat by Vaughn Miller.

In our scheme, ILBs need to cover RBs on screens and flares. At least that's how it looked last night. Barnett whiffed on Moreno but had a good night overall. Torbor got abused on several occasions and may have well as been on the bench for all the time it took him to get to McGahee on his TD pass.

GO BILLS!!!

Every time bills fans express concerns there are a few on this site who sarcastically say "we are doomed" our sincerely say that bills fans are overeating. After 11 years of not making the playoffs the reality is this team has been doomed and people's concerns are not unwarranted.

Auburn it is not the concerns about the team I ahave issue with it is the way they present it.

I support this team and I myself have issues with certain things.....but blatant "everything about this team sucks" posts day in and day out paroting and paroting and paroting get sold to me...

- Not EVERYTHING about this team sucks....there are things that are improving. For instance....run stop looks to be much better. Right tackle is not near as bad as we initially thought or as bad as some continue to make it out to be. We look like we might have a starting Tight End....etc etc etc.

- But what you have are crybabies who say everything is bad and its not getting better....this is not true and I get tired of hearing it. I wish they would make LOGICAL posts and not post off emotion each and every time and then fall back on its a free board and they have the right to do so. The street in front of my house is a free street and people do not have the right to dump garbage on it......

In our scheme, ILBs need to cover RBs on screens and flares. At least that's how it looked last night. Barnett whiffed on Moreno but had a good night overall. Torbor got abused on several occasions and may have well as been on the bench for all the time it took him to get to McGahee on his TD pass.

GO BILLS!!!

Why the ILB's to cover RB's on screens? If the OLB sees the RB lined up wide should he stay home and watch for that screen pass and react. He's closer to the RB than the ILB.