James Hardy

It seemed like there were so many receiving options in that draft, almost all of them have been disappointments so far. For a big guy, Hardy had awful hands. All I remember his him dropping just about anything thrown his way.

DeSean Jackson (selected a few pick AFTER Hardy). Eddie Royal (also selected after Hardy) had a great rookie season, but has been hurt a lot since then. As I recall, Danny Snyder's team selected two WRs in the first two rounds that year, both of whom have been huge busts. Makes me feel a little better.

It seemed like there were so many receiving options in that draft, almost all of them have been disappointments so far. For a big guy, Hardy had awful hands. All I remember his him dropping just about anything thrown his way.

And...another one bites the dust....Limas Sweed of that draft class was cut by the Steelers today...

Limas Sweed Cut by the Steelers

The other bust is Malcolm Kelly for the Washington Redskins....The only guy who succeeded was Desean Jackson and I think that was purely due to the system in which he played and used his burning speed.

And...another one bites the dust....Limas Sweed of that draft class was cut by the Steelers today...

The other bust is Malcolm Kelly for the Washington Redskins....The only guy who succeeded was Desean Jackson and I think that was purely due to the system in which he played and used his burning speed.

That was the year of the big receiver. Everyone around the league wanted a big redzone target. All of them busted out: Kelly, Sweed, Hardy, and Devin Thomas.

The irony is that the smallest guy--Deshean Jackson--was the guy who succeeded.

I loved the Hardy pick. Guy caught 36 TDs at Indiana and came into the NFL at 6'5". He was billed as a more physically gifted version of Plaxico Burress. And when he caught that game winner in the back of the end zone against Jacksonville, I thought he was going to do that every Sunday for years to come. The light never went on for him and he just couldn't put it together on the field. He had the talent but his lack of maturity and focus killed his career.

That was the year of the big receiver. Everyone around the league wanted a big redzone target. All of them busted out: Kelly, Sweed, Hardy, and Devin Thomas.

The irony is that the smallest guy--Deshean Jackson--was the guy who succeeded.

That was the topic du jour back then. Everyone had a favorite big receiver that we HAD to draft (with our first round pick no less)! So many were shocked that many dropped to the second round, AND now how many of them are busts even for 2nd rounders. Bummer that we fell for it too. At least it wasn't our first rounder.

We only got 1 good catch out of him.

Don't forget about the other WR that the Redskins took. The guy that was supposed to be the best in his class and possible early 1st rounder...College one year wonder Devin Thomas. He cycled through 3 teams last year and is now fighting for a roster spot on the Giants I believe.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

That was the topic du jour back then. Everyone had a favorite big receiver that we HAD to draft (with our first round pick no less)! So many were shocked that many dropped to the second round, AND now how many of them are busts even for 2nd rounders. Bummer that we fell for it too. At least it wasn't our first rounder.

We only got 1 good catch out of him.

yeah, people were scratching their heads when we didn't pull the trigger on a WR in the first round.

I forgot about that TD catch by Hardy!!

I loved the Hardy pick. Guy caught 36 TDs at Indiana and came into the NFL at 6'5". He was billed as a more physically gifted version of Plaxico Burress. And when he caught that game winner in the back of the end zone against Jacksonville, I thought he was going to do that every Sunday for years to come. The light never went on for him and he just couldn't put it together on the field. He had the talent but his lack of maturity and focus killed his career.

Agreed

agree

Exactly.

Then you must also remember the discussion about that catch at the time - at how awkward Hardy looked in making the grab. His footwork and body control were completely off given his position on the field, size advantage and ball placement. It wasn't so much immaturity or focus, but lack of skill to elevate his game that killed his career.

The guy was simply a dumb ass. I remember one play when Hardy lined up out of position resulting in a delay of game penalty. It even got a sarcastic smerk from the perpetually emotionless Dick Jauron.

Actually, his slow feet were worse than his hands.....

Then you must also remember the discussion about that catch at the time - at how awkward Hardy looked in making the grab. His footwork and body control were completely off given his position on the field, size advantage and ball placement. It wasn't so much immaturity or focus, but lack of skill to elevate his game that killed his career.

I completely disagree. He didn't look awkward at all. He made a nice break, got open, adjusted his body to the ball and came down with it all the while keeping his feet inbounds at the back pylon, with a defender closing fast and making contact as he came down. It was a nice grab.

We're talking about a 22 year old rookie who plays one of the more difficlut to learn positions in football in only his second game, making a game-winning catch.

It may not be the smoothest catch ever, but it was nice and I didn't think it was awkward at all.

I can admit that this is who I wanted the Bills to draft if they want WR in the second round

The guy was simply a dumb ass. I remember one play when Hardy lined up out of position resulting in a delay of game penalty. It even got a sarcastic smerk from the perpetually emotionless Dick Jauron.

Great post!! I lol'd big time. The " perpetually emotionless Dick Jauron" is a treasure. I've read a lot of great punchlines over the years on this board, but that one is one of the best.

I dont know how to post links from my iPhone but you can google it, sorry

Thanks, defend Greece. I did Google it & read it. Hardy, another one of our many draft picks in the last 10 yrs w/ supposedly lots of "upside" that never went up.

I completely disagree. He didn't look awkward at all. He made a nice break, got open, adjusted his body to the ball and came down with it all the while keeping his feet inbounds at the back pylon, with a defender closing fast and making contact as he came down. It was a nice grab.

We're talking about a 22 year old rookie who plays one of the more difficlut to learn positions in football in only his second game, making a game-winning catch.

It may not be the smoothest catch ever, but it was nice and I didn't think it was awkward at all.

Grace, thy names is not Hardy.

Interesting commentary, especially highlighting that Edwards was late with the ball. But look at how wide Hardy got his legs up and then planted the right foot down. Now compare that with other receivers who come down in bounds with less space. Yeah it was a TD, but also telegraphed the difficulty he would have in elevating his game.

Nah, turns out he wasn't very gifted athletically after all. He never looked smooth, never natural. I don't recall him being a problem in practice. He was let go because he was never going to be anything but a tall WR. He never looked anything like our current 7th rounders and UFA WR's.

Nah, turns out he wasn't very gifted athletically after all. He never looked smooth, never natural. I don't recall him being a problem in practice. He was let go because he was never going to be anything but a tall WR. He never looked anything like our current 7th rounders and UFA WR's.

All in All we did get our "future #1 receiver" in that Draft 7th 224 Buffalo Bills Johnson, Steve WR Kentucky SEC :thumbsup:

All in All we did get our "future #1 receiver" in that Draft 7th 224 Buffalo Bills Johnson, Steve WR Kentucky SEC :thumbsup:

good point i've never thought it of it that way. Reminds me of the draft where we selected mike williams 4th overall in the world and then signed undrafted free agent tight end Jason Peters. One panned out to be a pro bowl LT, the other sucked and is out of football......

Is wide receiver a difficult position to learn? I would tend to think that it is one of the positions where players make an immediate impact without the need for an "apprenticeship."

Is wide receiver a difficult position to learn? I would tend to think that it is one of the positions where players make an immediate impact without the need for an "apprenticeship."

I remember Bill Polian having to decide between extending Edgerrin James or Reggie Wayne. When he picked Wayne he said it was because it took three years to get a WR fully integrated into the NFL/offense thus making him tougher to replace. Since he was tougher to replace it made him the more valuable to keep. He could draft Addai and get good value as James' replacement.

This might explain why WR trade value is so low as well.

I did too. He was not a 1 year wonder. I also liked his basketball background as I think it teaches a player to gain advantage in tight spaces through their body position relative to the ball and opposition. Think Gates, Gonzalez, Metzelaars, McKellar, etc. I think Naaman Roosevelt is a classic example of how to make this advantage work. As Gailey said "God didn't give him great speed or great size but he maximizes what he does have." I think what he has is a great ability to play the ball in flight, sheild the defender, and catch the ball. Think the Hail Mary catch against Temple for the best example of this. Strangely, Hardy was not very good at this at all.