Evans traded to Baltimore

Jdragon2

I'm thinking that the reason I'm POd about this is that you can throw all the numbers at me, but Lee Evans is the only receiver for the Bills that I've seen make otherworldly holy stevestojan catches besides Jerry Butler and Eric Moulds.

You just don't get that out of the other receivers we have.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turning draft picks into quality football players is how a team improves, not vice versa. This is a setback.

Maybe if the Bills are lucky they can parlay that 4th round pick into a player that becomes good as Evans three or four years from now...

Edited by vincec

FWIW

The market value for receivers has been very depressed ever since Randy Moss with four good years left in him was acquired by New England from Oakland for a fourth-round pick. So increasing the value in return was not going to happen.

As for justifying the trade, all I can say is I have it on good authority that Evans wanted to move on. I don’t know that he asked for a trade, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/12/fan-friday-8-12/

Specifically what evidence do you have that this trade was an edict handed down by the Overdorf/Littman/Wilson triumvirate?

August roster moves of high priced veterans have rarely been pushed by the Bills coaches or GMs. This was not a Buddy move. Or Gailey.

I honestly think that this says a lot about what the team thinks of Jones and Roosevelt, more than anything else.

They didn't want to have to PS or cut Roosevelt.

Reading all these posts, I've been waiting for someone to mention this. Perhaps Easley too. To the guys who have been talking about team morale, sitting Evans would have been worse. Some things just run their course. Evans is not elite

It is amazing to see so many fans evaluate the Evans trade (and most moves the team has made over the past decade) as if it were a football move and not a financial transaction. Unless the guy is hurting team morale, is no longer effective, or you have a cap problem, there is not a strong football rationale for dumping a valuable asset like Lee for next to nothing (4th).

We jettison salary year after year and the party line on this board is "he was never any good" or "we have good players to take his place"... maybe so in some cases, but this misses the bigger picture of Ralph and company preparing the franchise for it's ultimate sale by not tying the team to high priced and/or long term salaries. The stadium lease is about to expire (likely to remain year-to-year afterward)... There is no naming rights deal for the stadium... We continuously clear salary from the books...

BTW - Any news on Ralph's health as of late? (just wondering)

August roster moves of high priced veterans have rarely been pushed by the Bills coaches or GMs. This was not a Buddy move. Or Gailey.

Gailey is debatable.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/lee-evans-looking-to-bounce-back

Gailey on Lee

“We’ve got to get him to become a better underneath receiver,” Gailey says. “We’ve got to give him things that he can do, let him work on those things that make him better as a short receiver. We know he’s got the deep threat…we got to help him get better in the short and intermediate areas.”

That's a pretty blunt critique of a veteran WR coming from his head coach.

Now compare it to Gailey on Roosevelt

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Roosevelt-rolling/906f69a7-1133-4655-8a59-ad103465906b

“He is a great young player. He really is a great young player,” said Gailey smiling. “God didn’t give him a lot of speed. God didn’t give him a lot of size, but I tell you what he makes the most of what he’s got. He’s a great young player. I’m excited to see what he does in the games this year. He did great when we put him in there last year.”

Watch the video of the Roosevelt comments and you can just tell that he's a Gailey favorite. My guess is that he'd rather go with the coachable young guys for their potential than a 30 year old deep threat who in Gailey's mind is one dimensional.

Roosevelt > Evans. Evans was getting old, not alot of production lately and too expensive. We got Buster Davis also who could be a find. Lets see what the WR corps does before we start a rebellion.

Whoever takes the lastzreceiver spot on the roster will not even match Lee's numbers over the last 2.down years that Lee had. And he will not even be on the roster 3.years from now. So tell me how we opened up a roster spot for all of these potential NFL future stars.

Please tell me...who on earth can we draft in the fourth round that comes even close to lee Evans?

Yes, how will we ever replace a guy who caught 37 balls last year. I'm pretty sure we could find a guy in the fourth round next year that can be an overall improvement from Evans.

Whoever takes the lastzreceiver spot on the roster will not even match Lee's numbers over the last 2.down years that Lee had. And he will not even be on the roster 3.years from now. So tell me how we opened up a roster spot for all of these potential NFL future stars.

I hear alot of talk about Easley and Roosevelt, and yet no one has actually posted any numbers as to just how "effective" this tandem was last year. So i think i'll do it to prove the fools who are drinking Nix's Kool-Aid wrong.

Easley: All World

Roosevelt: 6 of 9 for 139, 0 TD

Yep, Nix has a plan.

>.>

At some point you have to wonder JUST how much Gailey's love of hard working players who possess little to no natural football talent clouds his judgment.

So far we have: Thigpen, Fitzpatrick, Roosevelt, Kelsay. I'm looking for more. Can anyone add some names?

I think whoever ends up starting at RT will fit the bill. Definitely our starting TE too, since it won't be Shawn Nelson since the guy hasn't been healthy in 3 years. Here's to hoping it works out.

I hear alot of talk about Easley and Roosevelt, and yet no one has actually posted any numbers as to just how "effective" this tandem was last year. So i think i'll do it to prove the fools who are drinking Nix's Kool-Aid wrong.

Easley: All World

Roosevelt: 6 of 9 for 139, 0 TD

Yep, Nix has a plan.

>.>

Hahaha. Thank you. Everyone goes after Evans' numbers and its like...uhh...these young guys who you claim are primed to fill Evans' shoes no problem... Ummm..yea...they haven't actually played in a game yet...

You know... I don’t really know how to evaluate this trade. I’ve always been a big fan of Evans, based on how great he can look at times and on how great his attitude has been through all the crappy changes over the last few years. Is he a great player whose production has suffered due to a sputtering offense? Or is he just another in a long line of first rounders who wasn’t as good as we thought?

I just don’t really know. Anyway, I wish him well. I hope he has success in Baltimore. He’s a good guy—he deserves it.

My vote is the latter...but yes...good guy & I hope he excels in Balt!

Gailey is debatable.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/lee-evans-looking-to-bounce-back

Gailey on Lee

That's a pretty blunt critique of a veteran WR coming from his head coach.

Now compare it to Gailey on Roosevelt

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Roosevelt-rolling/906f69a7-1133-4655-8a59-ad103465906b

Watch the video of the Roosevelt comments and you can just tell that he's a Gailey favorite. My guess is that he'd rather go with the coachable young guys for their potential than a 30 year old deep threat who in Gailey's mind is one dimensional.

That's really a laughable comparison. Yup Gailey loves a guy who may not make the roster of one of the worst teams in the league vs a probowler.

You know what's awesome about this situation? I can see the end result from a mile away. Next year, when the first round of the draft rolls around, we'll get a line from OBD that goes something like:

"Well, we really lacked production from the WR position last year, that's why we took so-and-so. We really like him."

That's really a laughable comparison. Yup Gailey loves a guy who may not make the roster of one of the worst teams in the league vs a probowler.

1) Roosevelt is a virtual lock to make the roster now, which I believe was the point of the trade.

2) When did Lee make the Pro- Bowl?

Edited by Kingfish

1) Roosevelt is a virtual lock to make the roster now, which I believe was the point of the trade.

2) When did Lee make the Pro- Bowl?

I'm sure Revis and all of our rivals' corners are EXTREMELY worried about facing the All-Forever team surefire lock Naaman Roosevelt. :lol:

You know what's awesome about this situation? I can see the end result from a mile away. Next year, when the first round of the draft rolls around, we'll get a line from OBD that goes something like:

"Well, we really lacked production from the WR position last year, that's why we took so-and-so. We really like him."

You forgot to mention that "so and so" has a high motor

I'm sure Revis and all of our rivals' corners are EXTREMELY worried about facing the All-Forever team surefire lock Naaman Roosevelt. :lol:

I'm sure they weren't too worried about Lee anymore either, who only had one more catch against the Bills AFC East rivals last season than Roosevelt did.

It isn't enough that the Bills are considerably under the salary cap, Zombie Ralph has to save even more money by dumping Evans for a 4th round pick (in other words, garbage). Yet another big ol' "FU Suckers" to Bills' fans. Evans isn't great, but the team is clearly not better with him gone, and they could have gotten the same deal at the end of the year. Just plain stupid and miserly.

Bill Polian would not have made this trade. Heck, he went out and got James Lofton, an over the hill wr who then went on to the probowl. With Joe F throwing him the ball, I wouldn't be surprised to see Evans have his best year yet.

Bill Polian would not have made this trade. Heck, he went out and got James Lofton, an over the hill wr who then went on to the probowl. With Joe F throwing him the ball, I wouldn't be surprised to see Evans have his best year yet.

In the end, you know what? Good for Lee. He has been a class act and deserves a chance with a real team. I wish him a pro-bowl year.

I have never seen so many whiny bitches in my life.

You're right. We should all be posting about how great it will be to have an extra 4th round pick next year. While we're at it I suppose we should also praise all the great decisions this organization has made over the past 10 years.

Are you comparing the 1989 Bills to this team?

PTR

4th rounder for Evans? Is this some kind of a joke? Nothing less than a 3rd would do. Are they saying Evans has the same value as Da'Noriss Searcy, this year's 4th round pick? And since it's the Ravens who you expect to have a winning record it's likely to be a late round pick. So are they saying Evans is worth the same as their 5th round pick Ed Wang from 2010? Just another cheapo move to dump a highly paid player, regardless of his contribution or what they get in return. This team is all about increasing current cash flow to the Wilson family, knowing full well the Buffalo faithful fans will continue to support mediocrity.

Look guys...I've always liked Lee and I still think he is a good receiver and I'm sad to see him go.

And yes, I was hoping we might get a player for him rather than a draft pick...but nobody was going to give

us their starting right tackle for him and considering it was just a draft pick (and also considering recent history)

a 4th rounder was pretty good value for a receiver his age who had a couple of down years.

But this trade has NOTHING to do with Ralph and Overdorf being cheap, or Buddy being stupid and old or any of that.

We have a pretty straight shooting coach, who isn't afraid to cut bait (see Trent Edwards) if someone isn't working out

the way he wants them to in his offense. It doesn't mean Lee sucks or is over the hill, he just isn't the right type of

receiver for Gailey's offense. Here's what Gailey has said about Lee recently...

August 2nd:

Reporter: "What's it going to take to make Lee the weapon that he could/should be?"

Chan: "We've gotta get him to become a better underneath receiver. We gotta give him things that he can do and let him work

on those things that will make him better as a short receiver...we know he's got the deep threat he's always had that and we

gotta help him get better in the intermediate and short areas."

August 10th:

Reporter: "What does Lee mean to your offense?"

Chan: " Lee has made a bunch of big plays here through the years...and...um...he still made some big plays for us last year.

As I said earlier, we gotta do a better job of getting him more effective in the short and intermediate area. We know what

he can do deep. We gotta do a better job of helping him get better there."

Most coaches asked about their #1 receiver who their team can't live without would be hurling every superlative they could

think of at the press. But that doesn't sound like what Gailey had to say. There is no way this trade goes down just to save

some money if Gailey thought it would severely hurt the team. I think as others have said, he wants to give the young guys who

fit his system better and will be around for the long haul a chance. And anyone watching the games last year could see Evans and

Fitz didn't have great chemistry or something.

Stevie will be fine. Sure he'll get doubled more early in the season at least, but that opens the door for one of the other guys to excel.

Nelson really proved something to me last year. roscoe was on fire before getting hurt. Jones and Naaman seem to be coming on and

played well last year when given the opportunity. And then there is Easley and Buster who I admit are still question marks. If Roscoe or Nelson

or Jones, or whoever, is running wild because they're doubling Stevie, then defenses will have to switch it up and then Stevie will get his.

There was also what Wandstedt said about Gailey's offense in Miami when they didn't have the best O-line, that Chan went with a short

passing game (see that they are practicing screens alot this camp) to compensate. I think short and intermediate is the key for this year.

Get the ball out quick to fast, elusive guys (Roscoe, Spiller, Smith, etc.) and let them make something happen, make guys miss and pick up

the yards that way, rather than bombs to the endzone. And Lee doesn't fit that scheme well.

As to Drayton's twitters, it sounds like he and Lee were probably good friends and it sucks to lose a friend...but, you don't think all of

the young guys on the offense aren't excited about the opportunity (Smith, Nelson, Spiller, Jones, Roosevelt, Easley, etc.)? And if they start

producing, Lee the friend will still be missed, but Lee the player won't be so much. There might be some short term anxiety in the locker room

due to this trade. But I don't think it will linger for more than a week or two.

I'll miss Lee and I wish him nothing but the best...but I'll trust the coach on this one until proven otherwise. The sky is not falling.

Edited by folz

Evans trade is a joke. A fourth round pick? You might as well have just given him away for free.

Evans isn't all that he used to be, but he still had some gas left in the tank. I understand the Bills are not a playoff team this year, and building for the future is great, but you can't just give away all your good players for crappy draft picks.

You're right. We should all be posting about how great it will be to have an extra 4th round pick next year. While we're at it I suppose we should also praise all the great decisions this organization has made over the past 10 years.

Then cheer for someone else. I applaud the move. Evans was a horrible fit for this offense, but I suppose you'd do a better job because you read Mel Kiper.

When do we start winning NOW, instead of 5 years from now?

5 years from now.

Look guys...I've always liked Lee and I still think he is a good receiver and I'm sad to see him go.

And yes, I was hoping we might get a player for him rather than a draft pick...but nobody was going to give

us their starting right tackle for him and considering it was just a draft pick (and also considering recent history)

a 4th rounder was pretty good value for a receiver his age who had a couple of down years.

But this trade has NOTHING to do with Ralph and Overdorf being cheap, or Buddy being stupid and old or any of that.

We have a pretty straight shooting coach, who isn't afraid to cut bait (see Trent Edwards) if someone isn't working out

the way he wants them to in his offense. It doesn't mean Lee sucks or is over the hill, he just isn't the right type of

receiver for Gailey's offense. Here's what Gailey has said about Lee recently...

August 2nd:

Reporter: "What's it going to take to make Lee the weapon that he could/should be?"

Chan: "We've gotta get him to become a better underneath receiver. We gotta give him things that he can do and let him work

on those things that will make him better as a short receiver...we know he's got the deep threat he's always had that and we

gotta help him get better in the intermediate and short areas."

August 10th:

Reporter: "What does Lee mean to your offense?"

Chan: " Lee has made a bunch of big plays here through the years...and...um...he still made some big plays for us last year.

As I said earlier, we gotta do a better job of getting him more effective in the short and intermediate area. We know what

he can do deep. We gotta do a better job of helping him get better there."

Most coaches asked about their #1 receiver who their team can't live without would be hurling every superlative they could

think of at the press. But that doesn't sound like what Gailey had to say. There is no way this trade goes down just to save

some money if Gailey thought it would severely hurt the team. I think as others have said, he wants to give the young guys who

fit his system better and will be around for the long haul a chance. And anyone watching the games last year could see Evans and

Fitz didn't have great chemistry or something.

Stevie will be fine. Sure he'll get doubled more early in the season at least, but that opens the door for one of the other guys to excel.

Nelson really proved something to me last year. roscoe was on fire before getting hurt. Jones and Naaman seem to be coming on and

played well last year when given the opportunity. And then there is Easley and Buster who I admit are still question marks. If Roscoe or Nelson

or Jones, or whoever, is running wild because they're doubling Stevie, then defenses will have to switch it up and then Stevie will get his.

There was also what Wandstedt said about Gailey's offense in Miami when they didn't have the best O-line, that Chan went with a short

passing game (see that they are practicing screens alot this camp) to compensate. I think short and intermediate is the key for this year.

Get the ball out quick to fast, elusive guys (Roscoe, Spiller, Smith, etc.) and let them make something happen, make guys miss and pick up

the yards that way, rather than bombs to the endzone. And Lee doesn't fit that scheme well.

As to Drayton's twitters, it sounds like he and Lee were probably good friends and it sucks to lose a friend...but, you don't think all of

the young guys on the offense aren't excited about the opportunity (Smith, Nelson, Spiller, Jones, Roosevelt, Easley, etc.)? And if they start

producing, Lee the friend will still be missed, but Lee the player won't be so much. There might be some short term anxiety in the locker room

due to this trade. But I don't think it will linger for more than a week or two.

I'll miss Lee and I wish him nothing but the best...but I'll trust the coach on this one until proven otherwise. The sky is not falling.

Smartest post I have ever read here, including my own.

As much as I have appreciated Lee Evans contribution to this team for many years, It is now time to give him the opportunity to have a little success before he retires!! Granted he hasn't always played well and is declining, but he has never had a team worth playing for. We would constantly be switching Qb's or coaches etc. At the end of the day, he came to work every season and didn't complain about anything for the whole time he was here. Exactly the kind of guy you want on your team. Also the kind of guy who deserves a taste of success before he hangs them up. If there was a position that is expandable on this team it's WR. We have some raw young talent on this team at WR and I think these guys are gonna step up and have a respectable season for us. Go Bills!!!