Evans traded to Baltimore

Jdragon2

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Chan and Nix are behind this - and not just Overdork - then we all have to realize that they didn't think Evans was their kind of guy.

Sure, they're getting a player next year and stocking those up is how you build a team over the long haul.

You can tell by their limited action in FA this year, that they're looking for a particular type of "Player" and won't overspend on flashy names that will disjoint the noses of the younger "Players" that are on the team.

How much cap space does his trade free up? If it's a lot, more eyes could be focused on Overdork. If not, I say it's a Nix philosophical move.

It's not about cap space, as Bills stopped caring about it for a long time. This is about cold hard cash, and apparently for the money guy, paying $3 million to one of the few NFL caliber players on this roster was too much.

Friggin wankers. Way to destroy a team's morale before the pads even go on. For all the Norman Einstein GMs out there, tell me how many players are going to be willing to suck it up for the team beyond the bare minimum going forward. The whole point of this latest roster "rebuilding" is to wean the youngsters away from a loser's mentality. And yet, in 1 minute, you created a cloud of doubt and anger among the vets.

Way to cement the Mickey Mouse stature of the NFL.

Not only do we save millions of dollars over the next couple of years by getting rid of Evans, we also reduce Stevie Johnson's production with this move so that we can save even MORE MILLIONs when we re-sign him.

Love this move!

Money, money, money, money, MONEY!!!!!!!!!

MONEY!!!!

So we trade away one of the only #1 draft picks the Bills have gotten the past 15 years and got only a late 4th for him? WTF? Well I guess it is better then letting our better players walk and not receive anything. This is a mickey mouse organization that does not give two ***** about winning

I doubt Andre Johnson has caught a dozen balls in his career when he's doubled. To say otherwise is ludicrous. If Andre Johnson played for the BILLS with Drew Bledsoe/JP Losman/Trent Edwards/some loser from Green Bay/Ryan Fitzpatrick with Dick Jauron and Mike Mularkey as his head coach, he'd look one dimension too.

Right. The problems with Buffalo's offense are because Lee Evans can't get open. Not because of poor QB play for a decade, an OLine that has been among the worst in NFL history for the same time frame, or mediocre (or worse) coaching. That damn one-dimensional Lee Evans (shakes fist like angry old muppet guy).

So you must be the fan I was referring to that thinks Lee Evans is the only receiver in the NFL that gets doubled. And that every other dominant, exciting, (insert adjective here), #1 receiver is just allowed to roam free in the secondary. I don't buy it.

Larry Fitzgerald caught 90 PASSES last year, with some of the worst QB play ever. Please.

The excuses need to stop.

Edited by Wayne333

We'll use their pick next year on a too-small player from a too-small school somewhere in the south

What are the Bills offering to fans this year?

This is the 4 year ago rant. Bills are only drafting big strong beasts now. Chan's got 270 lb linebackers and 350 lb linemen. Whether better or not it's all about big and strong (except maybe spiller)

It's not about cap space, as Bills stopped caring about it for a long time. This is about cold hard cash, and apparently for the money guy, paying $3 million to one of the few NFL caliber players on this roster was too much.

Friggin wankers. Way to destroy a team's morale before the pads even go on. For all the Norman Einstein GMs out there, tell me how many players are going to be willing to suck it up for the team beyond the bare minimum going forward. The whole point of this latest roster "rebuilding" is to wean the youngsters away from a loser's mentality. And yet, in 1 minute, you created a cloud of doubt and anger among the vets.

Way to cement the Mickey Mouse stature of the NFL.

+30.

I seriously must have been watching a different Lee Evans the past few years than the rest of you guys. He's just not that good to get this upset over. Take a deep breathe people and repeat after me: "it's just Lee Evans"

To recap what we all know: Ralph has made it clear he will not sell the team before his death and his family does not want to own it once he is dead (which given his age isn't too far off). When he dies his estate will sell the Bills to the highest bidder, whomever that may be... and Ralph's family can conceivably make up to $1 billion or more from a bidder who wants to move the team to a more lucrative market like Los Angeles.

That said, this is clearly an accounting move, not a football move... it's a salary dump, pure and simple. Lee had the highest salary on the team and now he is gone. In parallel terms, this is something a private corporation might do prior to being sold; clear large and/or long-term liabilities in order to prop up the sale price since said liabilities would be factored into the sale price... and as was correctly stated above, there is no salary floor this year so he isn't constrained in his cheapness.

This move in no way makes the team better - far from it. Anyone who thinks Ralph cares a bit about winning or the fans needs to get off the pipe... he cares about his own family and the almighty dollar. And, the only thing that would affect Ralph right now would be if the fans stopped spending their hard earned money on the team. But, that won't happen, so Ralph wins and we lose...

Next year, we'll dump McGee and/or Dwan Edwards for the same reason... book it.

I seriously must have been watching a different Lee Evans the past few years than the rest of you guys. He's just not that good to get this upset over. Take a deep breathe people and repeat after me: "it's just Lee Evans"

Or as the guys in my office here in Chicago said, "Who's Lee Evans?"

As much as I'd love to believe that the new qualified front office thinks we have an abundance of young talent that can exceed what Evans brought to the field, I just heard the Bills are trying to make Kyle Williams one of the highest paid DT's in the league. This sounds like another case of accounting and robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Prove me wrong FO!

Edited by TheZone78

All I'm saying is if that is the going rate for a first ballot hall of famer, Lee Evans for a 4 isn't that bad. Plus, what has Lee Evans been doing? He had one good game last year which happened to be against baltimore -- that's it. The bills will not miss a bit. I'm very interested to see what Buster Davis or Easley or even Nelson can do. They definitely will not be afraid to go over the middle like Lee was his entire career.

Then, I'm just saying the going rates are stupid. I've never understood trading Pro Bowl quality players for unproven draft picks in the future..........Much less first ballot hall of famers.....Oddly, I once had the pleasure of talking to Bill Polian about football for an hour while we were both waiting to get on a plane for Boston for the Bills-Pats game.........He said "This Marshall Faulk is the real deal" (he was ripping up the college game at SD State at the time)........And, then, the first thing Polian did when he got his hands on him was trade him to the Rams! (I know he got his replacement at the same time, but man what a trade that was for the Rams)

To all of those who like the trade, please try to explain why Drayton Florence would say, "I am not mad about the trade, i am mad because this will change the way defenses play us now."

Explain that. Seriously. It's not because he lost a friend or great guy. He said he is not mad about the trade. It's not because he doesn't like our younger guys, he doesnt say anything about that and everyone likes our young WRs. It's not like he doesn't know Lee Evans, or Wideouts, or offenses or defenses, he's an eight year vet who has played on three different teams and plays against Evans everyday in practice. He says he's mad because of the way defenses will play us now. What does that possibly mean, seriously, except that we no longer have the deep threat that opens up the field for players like SJ and Roscoe and Nelson.

Larry Fitzgerald caught 90 PASSES last year, with some of the worst QB play ever. Please.

Which means Ken Whisenhunt is apparently smarter than the last 10 years of BILLS' coaches and understands that you need to get the ball to your best players. Perhaps that's why he's actually been to the Super Bowl.

So we trade away one of the only #1 draft picks the Bills have gotten the past 15 years and got only a late 4th for him? WTF? Well I guess it is better then letting our better players walk and not receive anything. This is a mickey mouse organization that does not give two ***** about winning

This is just what I thought. He's the only #1 who really panned out in umpteen years and we trade him!

Other than the season(s) where all Losman could do productively was bomb it to Evans, who was our only good receiver, why should we have kept him? We've got 6-7 other young guys who can catch a damn good ball. Evans wasn't Fitz' go to receiver. That's Stevie's place. All this does is open up a roster spot for someone who can run more than one route.

As much as I'd love to believe that the new qualified front office thinks we have an abundance of young talent that can exceed what Evans brought to the field, I just heard the Bills are trying to make Kyle Williams one of the highest paid DT's in the league. This sounds like another case of accounting and robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Prove me wrong FO!

They likely will do that. The point is, they could keep Lee Evans, and his relatively low salary, as well as pay Kyle Williams what he is worth.

I don't particularly like this trade. I think a low 4th is not a lot of value, but certainly is something that will help us in the future. But I think we are a worse team now because of it. Over five years I think we are better off, and Nix did add overall value to the organization. I would have been okay with a 3rd, very sad with a 5th, but I can live with a 4th. Randy Moss (different circumstances) got a 3rd.

On the 2011 Bills side of things, we certainly have to navigate the morale and "why?" issue that Florence is vocalizing. I think that Evans has been a one trick pony for a while, and that trick worked well with JP, and isn't going to work so well with Fitz. NOt sure how much of that 1-dimension is Lee's fault, revolving QBs fault, or revolving coaching staffs, but the reality is he has not been able to emerge as as useful and valuable a player as we had hoped.

I think in Chan's eyes, we are not much worse right now, and that his scheme will not use a lot of deep balls overall, and that getting a 4th for a decoy is probably fair. It remains to be seen who steps up with the opportunity, and if they can perform close to as well as Lee would have.

And in terms of Florence's reaction, veteran players ALWAYS overvalue other veteran players, especially when good clubhouse guys like Lee, and so the outrage is common when a veteran is traded or cut, and usually overstated once the dust clears.

Disappointed, but I understand, and I think we are slightly worse for 2011, but not significantly so, and the pick will help us in the future. Most of all I wish Lee well and will be rooting for the Ravens a little this year because of it. He suffered through a lot in Buffalo and was always classy. He deserves a trip to the playoffs, and I think he will get it.