Do we really need Lee Evans?

There was an article out with quotes from the equipment manager not that long ago. They didn't really "ask" Reed if Evans could use 83, but pretty much told him and he didn't have a problem with it. The NFL kinda frowns against retiring numbers, and with the Bills the only number actually retired is #12, altough 34, 32, 78 and a few others will probably never be used again except in training camp where those players normally won't be around come opening day anyway. If you put Evans on the other side of the line from Fitzgerald in Arizona, he would dwarf the numbers Johnson put up last year, and benefit from the other guy getting the double teams like Johnson did last year with Evans getting doubled up all the time.

I seem to remember johnson catching double teams also.And Lee dropping alot of balls.

Edited by playboy reese 2.0

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article out with quotes from the equipment manager not that long ago. (1)They didn't really "ask" Reed if Evans could use 83, but pretty much told him and he didn't have a problem with it. The NFL kinda frowns against retiring numbers, and with the Bills the only number actually retired is #12, altough 34, 32, 78 and a few others will probably never be used again except in training camp where those players normally won't be around come opening day anyway. (2)If you put Evans on the other side of the line from Fitzgerald in Arizona, he would dwarf the numbers Johnson put up last year, and benefit from the other guy getting the double teams like Johnson did last year with Evans getting doubled up all the time.

(1)Thanks for the clarification. Reed is still a classy guy. HOF 2012!

(2)This is a new year for Lee if Buffalo. I like what I've heard about the receivers in camp so far (very excited to see them in action on Saturday!) and hopefully running more 3-5 wide sets will give Lee some more space to get open. The productivity Stevie had last year along with the apparent development of a lot of those young receivers may be the talent pool that finally pulls guys away from Lee. Go Bills!

One thing that just sticks out to me when I looked at Lees stats on the rotoworld link:

most receptions in a season in the 80's and it only happened once. That's just sad, especially for a guy that people around here think of as a great #1 WR. Let's out that into perspective, Boldin, Fitzgerald and Breaston all did that a few years ago from the same offense. Moss, Welker both did it for years in NE. There are plenty of teams that have 2 80 catch recievers on thier rosters and Lees only done it once.

And for those people that say that it's too early to call Stevie a real #1 reciever cause he's only put up numbers one year, consider this:

in just one season after being given the chance to start, Stevie posted more yards, TDs, receptions, and had an absolutely great repor with his QB and he's only been in the league for 3 years. Evans has had over how many? 7 years with at times being the ONLY option and still never did what Stevie did. The only time he even sniffed 10 TDs is when he was the 3rd WR with Moulds on the team taking the #1 role. So maybe we should put Evans in the slot behind Stevie and Nelson and let him work in space. Just a thought. I guarantee you all that he never tops his 9 TDs or just over 1,000 yards or 80 receptions again in his career. At least on this team. So let's trade him, get a 3 and 4 for him if you can. Give the young guys a chance to prove themselves. Good teams do this kind of stuff all the time. The only time when teams keep these guys are when they are actually good.

One thing that just sticks out to me when I looked at Lees stats on the rotoworld link:

most receptions in a season in the 80's and it only happened once. That's just sad, especially for a guy that people around here think of as a great #1 WR. Let's out that into perspective, Boldin, Fitzgerald and Breaston all did that a few years ago from the same offense. Moss, Welker both did it for years in NE. There are plenty of teams that have 2 80 catch recievers on thier rosters and Lees only done it once.

And for those people that say that it's too early to call Stevie a real #1 reciever cause he's only put up numbers one year, consider this:

in just one season after being given the chance to start, Stevie posted more yards, TDs, receptions, and had an absolutely great repor with his QB and he's only been in the league for 3 years. Evans has had over how many? 7 years with at times being the ONLY option and still never did what Stevie did. The only time he even sniffed 10 TDs is when he was the 3rd WR with Moulds on the team taking the #1 role. So maybe we should put Evans in the slot behind Stevie and Nelson and let him work in space. Just a thought. I guarantee you all that he never tops his 9 TDs or just over 1,000 yards or 80 receptions again in his career. At least on this team. So let's trade him, get a 3 and 4 for him if you can. Give the young guys a chance to prove themselves. Good teams do this kind of stuff all the time. The only time when teams keep these guys are when they are actually good.

I agree.My next point was going to be was fitzgerald only good because of boldin.Maybe evans only looked good because of moulds.You cant keep giving excuses for evans.#1 wrs get open and get the ball regardless of a double team.Thats what makes them elite.If you arent doing that you arent elite.And people still want to say hes our number 1 even though johnson had twice the production last year.5"9 180 is a slot guy and personally i like parrish or jones in the slot even more.Divert that huge salary toward a #1 QB.

Edited by playboy reese 2.0

I agree.My next point was going to be was fitzgerald only good because of boldin.Maybe evans only looked good because of moulds.You cant keep giving excuses for evans.#1 wrs get open and get the ball regardless of a double team.Thats what makes them elite.If you arent doing that you arent elite.And people still want to say hes our number 1 even though johnson had twice the production last year.5"9 180 is a slot guy and personally i like parrish or jones in the slot even more.Divert that huge salary toward a #1 QB.

I agree with your point about Lee being the size and speed to be the slot reciever. Truth is if he was playing it for his whole career, much like Wes Welker, he might have been the best slot guy in the league. Unfortu Arely we've had coaches who thought he was something he's not.

Your also extremely right about the argument for the true #1 WR not having a problem beating double coverage.

Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, Roddy White, Andre Johnson, Marquez Colston, Chad OchoCinco, Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, Etc...... All these guys are number #1's or were at one point in thier youth and all have absolutely no problems beating double or even triple coverage at times. Lee's best seasons barely compare to any one of these recievers average years. True #1 WR's beat anything the defense throws at them. They find ways to get open. Maybe part of the problem is the coaching never gave Lee a chance to shine. But you have to look at it the other way more often, if he was a real stud, his play would dictate that he deserves to get the ball more. He doesn't.

Trade him. We are deep at the WR position with some young, hungry talent and unfortunately, Lee doesn't fit into the type of offense we run.

Actually, he precisely fits into the offense we run. Our line stinks. Evans runs deep right off the line. The safety has to watch him or be ready for him so he cannot take a step forward until he reads the play. Stevie, Roscoe or David Nelson run shorter patterns against one DB. Fitz looks downfield and knows he has to get it off soon because he has little time, makes a quick decision and throws to one of the shorter guys just before Fitz gets smacked.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Actually, he precisely fits into the offense we run. Our line stinks. Evans runs deep right off the line. The safety has to watch him or be ready for him so he cannot take a step forward until he reads the play. Stevie, Roscoe or David Nelson run shorter patterns against one DB. Fitz looks downfield and knows he has to get it off soon because he has little time, makes a quick decision and throws to one of the shorter guys just before Fitz gets smacked.

All this "we're deep at WR" chatter mystifies me. The WR depth is all two's and three's and four's.

There isn't a WR on the roster that can back off DBs like Evans. Does anyone think having SJ as the #1 wide-out will make DC's sweat much? He helps the run game just by being on the field. Take him out of the equation and watch the 8-man fronts every team would run against us.

That said, if someone was crazy enough to offer a quality OT for him, I'd have to think about it... :lol:

***I FIND THIS JUST AS RELEVANT TO THIS EVANS THREAD AS IT IS TO THE OTHER, SO I'M CONSCIOUSLY DUPLICATING IT BETWEEN THE TWO:

WAIT!!

Why is everyone evaluating Lee's value to this team in the vacuum of a traditional two-wide offense?

Don't have a straight ahead burner? We have several--Parish, Jones and Roosevelt all come to mind. And one of them's not even a wide receiver, he's a running back, drafted 9th overall for his versatility.

Johnson needs Lee to get open? Well, sure that's ONE way to get a receiver open. A person taking a holistic view might tell you that the addition of Brad Smith and spreading the field will keep teams off balance and DB's honest just as effectively as Lee. It's just a different way of going about it.

I don't see how we can all collectively agree that Chan's willing/able to install wrinkles and gadgets galore, yet we're totally handcuffed to Lee's presence because using him as a decoy is the only way to get guys open and generate offense.

Don't have a straight ahead burner? We have several--Parish, Jones and Roosevelt all come to mind.

Seriously?

Parish - slot receiver only, get's blown off his feet by a strong wind

Jones - 18 career NFL receptions, 4.5 speed (pedestrian for an NFL WR)

Roosevelt - "God didn't give him a lot of speed" - Chan Gailey (Aug 8, 2011)

Seriously?

Amen.

Getting rid of Evans would be a bonehead move at this point. All the benchwarmers are not going to turn into Stevie Johnson--and Roscoe in the slot has yet to pan out like Wes Welker.

Seriously?

Amen.

Getting rid of Evans would be a bonehead move at this point. All the benchwarmers are not going to turn into Stevie Johnson--and Roscoe in the slot has yet to pan out like Wes Welker.

Wow, you addressed one of my points, that losing Lee means losing a straight-ahead burner. Boy, those are tough as hell to find... <_<

However would we get by without a fast guy? (notice you made no mention of Spiller being sent long)

Also, your rebuttal to Parish being an ample replacement in this regard was non-sequitur, at best.

EDIT: FURTHERMORE! Being a get-behind guy doesn't always have a direct correlation with speed and 40 times.

Ugh, why do I even bother with the likes of you?

Edited by The Big Cat

WR is one of the few positions the Buffalo Bills have sufficient talent/depth and it takes far to long for inexperienced WR's to get up to speed in the NFL.

Veteran WR Lee Evans is a prime example of how you want your players to conduct themselves on and off the football field.

Edited by Fig Newton

Who is 5'9" 180?

Wow, you addressed one of my points, that losing Lee means losing a straight-ahead burner. Boy, those are tough as hell to find... <_<

However would we get by without a fast guy? (notice you made no mention of Spiller being sent long)

Also, your rebuttal to Parish being an ample replacement in this regard was non-sequitur, at best.

EDIT: FURTHERMORE! Being a get-behind guy doesn't always have a direct correlation with speed and 40 times.

Ugh, why do I even bother with the likes of you?

Ummmm dude you can not line Roscoe up outside consistently, sorry bud, this isn't madden.

He can't beat big corners who bump

Yea spiller can get deep, but it I could refer you to the buffalo bills home page, there is a link that says roster, click on it, scroll down to the "s"s (s for spiller) and you will see a "rb" this means runningback.

Now come the end of august head out to your local gamestop and purchase the newest installment of madden and you can move spiller to wr, or if your feeling crazy, you could make him a kicker or tightend!

Hope this helps

Who is 5'9" 180?

Ummmm dude you can not line Roscoe up outside consistently, sorry bud, this isn't madden.

He can't beat big corners who bump

Yea spiller can get deep, but it I could refer you to the buffalo bills home page, there is a link that says roster, click on it, scroll down to the "s"s (s for spiller) and you will see a "rb" this means runningback.

Now come the end of august head out to your local gamestop and purchase the newest installment of madden and you can move spiller to wr, or if your feeling crazy, you could make him a kicker or tightend!

Hope this helps

You also don't need to be lined up wide to go deep.

We lined Spiller wide on MANY occasions last year. But thanks for finally cracking that "RB" code that had me stumped all these years.

Why you gotta be a douche?

Edited by The Big Cat

You also don't need to be lined up wide to go deep.

We lined Spiller wide on MANY occasions last year. But thanks for finally cracking that "RB" code that had me stumped all these years.

Why you gotta be a douche?

It's called reality dude, you cannot replace Evans with a rb or Roscoe, maybe a few plays but not for a season

Meh... Evans is a fine #2 WR, better to keep him than to trade him for a day 3 draft pick. You can argue that it'd be good to dump all the long-time Bills who only know how to lose, but (unlike say Kelsay), I never considered Evans to be a leader (nothing wrong with that, it just is what it is), so I don't think that would apply to him. Contract isn't a problem either, so I'd let him stay.

It's called reality dude, you cannot replace Evans with a rb or Roscoe, maybe a few plays but not for a season

Ha! Yes, reality.

Now that we've done several laps around your non point, why don't you explain what we'd be missing without Lee.

Had you read my original post it addresses several facets of Lee's so-called irreplaceable contributions. Rather than focus squarely on one to make your point, why not go through them all and address the "reality" as it exists in multiple dimensions, as I have, bro.

Ha! Yes, reality.

Now that we've done several laps around your non point, why don't you explain what we'd be missing without Lee.

Had you read my original post it addresses several facets of Lee's so-called irreplaceable contributions. Rather than focus squarely on one to make your point, why not go through them all and address the "reality" as it exists in multiple dimensions, as I have, bro.

Well I would say you have no idea what you are talking about, I did read your original post and after I was done gagging....... Your reality and mine seem to differ as I am sure you are late for some live action roleplaying right now

You offer up the thought that he is past his prime, fine, I disagree

You talk about our 10 years of veteran leadership and how it has gotten us nowhere, well I can't really say much about that because I'm not on the field or in the lockerroom

What I can comment on is his professionalism, which you don't seem to care much about. To is a free agent, we could get him, trade for donte stallworth and Chad ochocinco, and Brandon Marshall and win the superbowl right????

You talk about him not being big enough, well he is plenty big as far as I am concerned, almost 200# with his speed

There is actually a good post in regards to stevies tds on this board and 83s effect on them, go read it bud

Edited by Defend Greece

Well I would say you have no idea what you are talking about, I did read your original post and after I was done gagging....... Your reality and mine seem to differ as I am sure you are late for some live action roleplaying right now

You offer up the thought that he is past his prime, fine, I disagree

You talk about our 10 years of veteran leadership and how it has gotten us nowhere, well I can't really say much about that because I'm not on the field or in the lockerroom

What I can comment on is his professionalism, which you don't seem to care much about. To is a free agent, we could get him, trade for donte stallworth and Chad ochocinco, and Brandon Marshall and win the superbowl right????

You talk about him not being big enough, well he is plenty big as far as I am concerned, almost 200# with his speed

There is actually a good post in regards to syenite td's on this board and 83s effect on them, go read it bud

Actually, I wrote about none of those things. Goodbye, and good luck. The golden gates to my ignore list await you.

I continue to love how Bills fans are happy to say sayonara to a bona fide league-wide starter (meaning that he'd start for the vast majority of nfl teams) because we can replace him easily with top 5 picks like David Nelson and Donald Jones.

There's a reason why the Bills have what may well be the worst pool of talent in the league.

Edited by dave mcbride

I question Lee Evans' work ethic. Point blank. Buster will work his butt off like he did with the Bolts. Stevie (If all goes well) Should put up BIG numbers. That's IF Fitz can get the ball to him. (and IF he doesn't drop it)

My logic isnt bad.They ran travis henry out,ran mcgahee out,ran lynch out.Criticized T.O. even though he was by far our best receiver.And back to travis henry the guy ran for 1500 yards consecutively played with a broken bone in his leg,a busted bloody mouth ect.. and some how he wasnt good enough.I guess you need to be polish and have long hair to be wanted here.

Logic. You used that word, "Logic". I do not think it means what you think it means.

I question Lee Evans' work ethic. Point blank. Buster will work his butt off like he did with the Bolts. Stevie (If all goes well) Should put up BIG numbers. That's IF Fitz can get the ball to him. (and IF he doesn't drop it)

So if you know Buster's history with SD, riddle me this: what's the straight gouge on his lack of productivity for the Bolts, despite all that butt-working off?

Seriously, would like to hear from someone knowledgeable on that point.

Truth is....we probably wouldn't get more than a 4th round pick for Lee Evans. We also have a lot of unknowns at the WR position going into the season. Is everyone on board with that?

Frez, great call on the 4th round pick! You're a realist!

:worthy:

Logic. You used that word, "Logic". I do not think it means what you think it means.

So if you know Buster's history with SD, riddle me this: what's the straight gouge on his lack of productivity for the Bolts, despite all that butt-working off?

Seriously, would like to hear from someone knowledgeable on that point.

I guess the Bills agree with me genius.Goodbye Lee.Kelsay is next.Nix just may be on the ball after all.Sound logical.lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I continue to love how Bills fans are happy to say sayonara to a bona fide league-wide starter (meaning that he'd start for the vast majority of nfl teams) because we can replace him easily with top 5 picks like David Nelson and Donald Jones.

There's a reason why the Bills have what may well be the worst pool of talent in the league.

Damn are we gonna miss those 37 catches. We'll probably only win three games this year.lol.Bye Lee.

Whats a shame is the fact that Nelson and Jones are undrafted and still better than Evans.You people know anything about football.I was watching when you were in your diapers.We are starting to do business like the Pats, just give it a few years.Its a business Lee wasnt an asset anymore.Goodbye Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess the Bills agree with me genius.Goodbye Lee.Kelsay is next.Nix just may be on the ball after all.Sound logical.lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn are we gonna miss those 37 catches. We'll probably only win three games this year.lol.Bye Lee.

Whats a shame is the fact that Nelson and Jones are undrafted and still better than Evans.You people know anything about football.I was watching when you were in your diapers.We are starting to do business like the Pats, just give it a few years.Its a business Lee wasnt an asset anymore.Goodbye Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ease up playboy.

Really....., tell me that as a Ravens fan you wouldn't be stoked giving up a fourth round pick for Lee Evans? I don't care that he's 30, tell me the probability that we get a 4th round pick who provides us the producutivy he does over the next few years.

The financial analysis about salary cap is a joke, we're way below it and we can't get a tackle to protect our quarterback.

Tell me a good move that Nix/Gailey has made besides what my 4 year old daughter could have done: Picking Dareus and letting go of Poz.

Was it the brilliance behind letting Lynch play for 4-5 games last year despite that he wasn't our best player at the position (But we got a huge draft pick for it, please....? Or was it that we solidified are hold on Kelsay.

Another telling stat to look at when comparing Lee with the rest of the receiving core is the percentage of catches he made when targeted by the quarterback-

Nelson-65.9

Roscoe-62.2

Stevie-57.7

Evans- 44.9

Jones- 43.9

Another telling stat to look at when comparing Lee with the rest of the receiving core is the percentage of catches he made when targeted by the quarterback-

Nelson-65.9

Roscoe-62.2

Stevie-57.7

Evans- 44.9

Jones- 43.9

Were more of those throws of the 'longer' variety? Would you expect the completion % to be equal between a pass 7 yards past the LOS and one that's 17?

Lee, you were more than just a very talented player, you were a class act. In an era of me-first prima donna receivers, you were a great team player. I, for one, am disappointed you were traded but I wish you all the best with your new team.

Good luck Lee, Thanks for your time in Bflo. I thought the Raven's were going to the big game last year, maybe having you aboard will help their cause. I wish you the best and that you and Fitz would have sparked a bit more.

Were more of those throws of the 'longer' variety? Would you expect the completion % to be equal between a pass 7 yards past the LOS and one that's 17?

Then we can compare Lee's last two seasons to his two best seasons 2008 and 2006

2010-44.5

2009-46.3

2008-61.0

2006-59.8

A 15% drop in Lee's success rate since his two best seasons makes me think that he's lost a step.

How many 1st round picks are busts. Lee was a fine player for the Bills for 7 years. The Bills needed to move on and create winners with the next batch of receivers. Evans only new losing and couldn't drive himself to "be better". Losing does that to you over time, not Evans fault but he couldn't change that with the Bills.

The funny thing is I truly only remember one game that Lee really made a difference. It was against Houston when Losman tossed two 80 yard plus TD's to Evans for the win. I can remember these type of plays many times from Andre Reed and a few of them from Moulds. You can go back even further for guys like Butler, Lewis, Piccone, Lofton, Beebe and Dubieon dominated games. Butler broke his leg on a TD catch and ended his career that way. Last year Stevie Johnson and Parrish were better recievers. The Bills way over paid for Lee Evans at 8.5 mil/yr on the last contract for the production they got.

What I really find weird is the percieved "leader" role Lee played. Every QB change was met with resistance from Lee, even Edwards being let go. The true leader on offense the last couple years has been Fred Jackson. Now it is Fitzpatrick as it should be. Lee's game was too one dimensional. He also couldn't block well or handle hand checks from aggressive CB's. As a second reciever for Baltimore he will be fine but the Bills didn't just lose a Pro-bowler. In alot of ways the Bills just got better, Stevie now is the number one reciever. Parrish will be two till Easley, Smith, Roosevelt or Davis comes to the front. Nelson and Jones are good role recievers but not number two types yet. Whoever ends up the second receiver will have better stats then Evans the past two years. Here's hoping Stevie gets a #1 receiver's extension and we all can move on. As a matter of fact I will bet when the season starts no one will miss Evans.

Edited by USABuffaloFan