Do we really need Lee Evans?

The thing is, I really like Lee. I've met him many times. Had conversations with him and he is a really good guy. From a football standpoint however, he is just not that good. His only trick is speed and at the wrong side of 30, he doesn't really have that anymore. At least not enough to compensate for his "shortcomings". He's small and short for an NFL WR let alone a starting WR or being advertised as a #1.

I have to look at the attributes of true #1 WR in this league and Lee Only has the speed factor down.

1. Physically overpowering- Andre Johnson, Rodd White, Larry Fitzgerald, T.O.

2. Quickess- Wes Welker, Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith

3. Ability to beat double coverage- Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss

4. Ability to go up and get the ball- OchoCinco, TJ Houshmanzada, Plaxico Burress

5. Blocking ability- Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin

the only thing I'd really give Evans, like I said is speed. And at his age it's only downhill from here on out. We've seen the best production we will ever see out of Evans. Mark it down with a perminant Sharpie.

I agree.I don't see why others can't see what's so obvious.People just like lee and for some reason don't like johnson.Johnson will get ran out of town by these small minded idiots and then everyone will be saying lets draft a WR.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same height and weight.And of course they're different that's my point, Welker makes a huge difference.And Welker is faster than Lee.Lee is one dimensional.Welker is a God send to a QB.

Welker is actually kind of slow. It's his shifty rote running that is so valuable. And Lee is bigger and faster. But that is not relevant, Lee is going to stay on the team. Look for a 60+ season after Chan and Co. have had nothing else to do all offseason other than scheme.

I agree.I don't see why others can't see what's so obvious.People just like lee and for some reason don't like johnson.Johnson will get ran out of town by these small minded idiots and then everyone will be saying lets draft a WR.

I agree.I don't see why others can't see what's so obvious.People just like Stevie and for some reason don't like Evans.Evans will get ran out of town by these small minded idiots and then everyone will be saying lets draft a WR.

WTF? Everybody likes Steve Johnson. Just because some fans think Lee Evans, who has been our #1 WR for years, is still our #! WR, doesn't at all mean they don't like Stevie. I don't know of one single fan who doesn't like him or wants to run him out of town. That's ludicrous.

People like Johnson, don't try to play it off as "Buffalo hates him." People like Lee too, your just conveniently using this to justify your bad logic.

Something you have to understand about building a team, is that initially, the picks won't look good. As the team compiles talent, everyone will begin to look better. We still may be two years away- the mess that was made is that bad. Lee Evans will never be Michael Irvin or Jerry Rice, but shouldn't be cut because he isn't elite- he is a very good football player. We are better with him.

Initially the picks won't be good?2006 we only hit on kyle williams and he's no star. Our 2007 draft class all gone or out of the league.Our 2008 draft class alot of them are out of the league and mckelvin is the best of the crop and isn't looking like a #1 pick.2009 we only hit on eric wood.Byrds not really doing much.I wont even talk about maybin.2010 no production.We never seem to get it right.

Do we really need Lee Evans? He seems like a great guy,but holding on to players who are past their prime because of their personality is part of what makes the Bills so bush league.He's set to make 3.275 million plus a 1.5 million dollar bonus this year.That's almost 5 million dollars.He only had 81 recs in the last two years.Lee doesn't have height or size.All he ever had was speed.He's 30,the speed is gone.Every year the Bills staff says they want him more involved and not so one dimensional.News flash,all he ever was and could ever be is one dimensional.In 7 seasons with the Bills he only had two seasons with over 1000 yds,and I don't wanna hear that veteran leadership crap.How many wins in this decade of no playoffs has veteran leadership got us? With that 5 mil we could have a stud proven TE.

Interesting thought, Lee Evans may very well be a good receiver with his best days behind him. Which leads me to ask, if the Bills did want to move Evans would they get a decent return? For a receiver coming off of 37 receptions, 578 yards and 4 TD's I doubt the Bills could get higher than a mid-round pick at this point. If the Bills were to make the decision that Lee Evans does not fit into the Bills long term plans their best course of action would be to hope for Evans to have a comeback year and move him when his value rises.

To answer your question more directly, taking into consideration where Evans is in his career and where the Bills are as a franchise I would say that Evans is not "needed." That said, his financials are not outrageous and is a decent place holder while the Bills continue moving forward in their building process.

People like Johnson, don't try to play it off as "Buffalo hates him." People like Lee too, your just conveniently using this to justify your bad logic.

My logic isnt bad.They ran travis henry out,ran mcgahee out,ran lynch out.Criticized T.O. even though he was by far our best receiver.And back to travis henry the guy ran for 1500 yards consecutively played with a broken bone in his leg,a busted bloody mouth ect.. and some how he wasnt good enough.I guess you need to be polish and have long hair to be wanted here.

My logic isnt bad.They ran travis henry out,ran mcgahee out,ran lynch out.Criticized T.O. even though he was by far our best receiver.And back to travis henry the guy ran for 1500 yards consecutively played with a broken bone in his leg,a busted bloody mouth ect.. and some how he wasnt good enough.I guess you need to be polish and have long hair to be wanted here.

Pretty sure Travis Henry was expendable after we drafted McGahee. He was very well liked from what I remember. To say the fans ran McGahee out is simply false. He wanted out. Hence him becoming persona non grata in Buffalo after he 'trashed' the city. Yeah, Lynch ran afoul in the court of public opinion, but with his reputation and past transgressions, he loses the support of the fan base in 20 or so other franchises as well. So yeah, you're wrong again.

If you really think Bills fans had anything at all to do with any of those guys being shipped out of town you are crazy. There are fans in every NFL city who like some players and dislike others, but no NFL team has made a decision solely based on what the fans want. Travis Henry and his failed drug test(s) got him tossed out of town (along with running loans from the team for child support), McGahee's mouth got him run out of town, Lynch's inability to stay out of trouble couples with holding out of camp last year got him shipped out. And as far as T.O., I think anyone who has a brain knew it was only going to be a one year stint here to sell tickets. As far as your Polish comment (capital "P" please, and no I am not Polish), I am guessing you are referring to Poz? Well how much of what the fans wanted played a part there? If it did he would still be here. It is fine for everyone to have their own opinions but some of the reasoning people use make them look clueless.

Edited by billsfreak

Why keep him at all? Nicks says he's gonna upgrade at every position and it doesn't matter who.I can name at least three young receivers on our team who are better than him,but Nicks is the guy who went after thigpen.What an upgrade.I guess i'm just frustrated.

Sorry bud there are not 3 receivers on our team better than him

Pretty sure Travis Henry was expendable after we drafted McGahee. He was very well liked from what I remember. To say the fans ran McGahee out is simply false. He wanted out. Hence him becoming persona non grata in Buffalo after he 'trashed' the city. Yeah, Lynch ran afoul in the court of public opinion, but with his reputation and past transgressions, he loses the support of the fan base in 20 or so other franchises as well. So yeah, you're wrong again.

You should go work for the front office you would fit in perfect.You'd be out of touch just like the rest of them. Old ralph hires old people he can relate to ,but the players can't.Any player who is of the hiphop generation whether they are black,white or whatever will never fit in,want to be here or stay here.Soon there won't be any players left for us to draft or consider.Blacks aren't the only ones who hate the racism and segregation of this city.We're the only team that has to show the second round pick with the first pick in every pic when the second round pick is white.I dont think ralph is racist its a p.r. move he knows alot of his fans are.

If you really think Bills fans had anything at all to do with any of those guys being shipped out of town you are crazy. There are fans in every NFL city who like some players and dislike others, but no NFL team has made a decision solely based on what the fans want. Travis Henry and his failed drug test(s) got him tossed out of town (along with running loans from the team for child support), McGahee's mouth got him run out of town, Lynch's inability to stay out of trouble couples with holding out of camp last year got him shipped out. And as far as T.O., I think anyone who has a brain knew it was only going to be a one year stint here to sell tickets. As far as your Polish comment (capital "P" please, and no I am not Polish), I am guessing you are referring to Poz? Well how much of what the fans wanted played a part there? If it did he would still be here. It is fine for everyone to have their own opinions but some of the reasoning people use make them look clueless.

Of course the T.O.deal was for one year.He had a one yr contract genius.He wanted to run from this racist hick town.If he was offered a contract like they should've he might have stayed and gave us some credibility instead of going to cincy and giving them a thousand yard season.Oh wait we dont need him we have our speedster evans.

You should go work for the front office you would fit in perfect.You'd be out of touch just like the rest of them. Old ralph hires old people he can relate to ,but the players can't.Any player who is of the hiphop generation whether they are black,white or whatever will never fit in,want to be here or stay here.Soon there won't be any players left for us to draft or consider.Blacks aren't the only ones who hate the racism and segregation of this city.We're the only team that has to show the second round pick with the first pick in every pic when the second round pick is white.I dont think ralph is racist its a p.r. move he knows alot of his fans are.

Each one of your subsequent posts in this thread is getting increasingly stupid. I'm actually looking forward to what you have to say next. Play on playboy...

Edited by QB Bills

Why keep him at all? Nicks says he's gonna upgrade at every position and it doesn't matter who.I can name at least three young receivers on our team who are better than him,but Nicks is the guy who went after thigpen.What an upgrade.I guess i'm just frustrated.

Sorry bud there are not 3 receivers on our team better than him

Each one of your posts in this thread is getting increasingly stupider. I'm actually looking forward to what you have to say next. Play on playboy...

Stupider isnt a word.You might want to say "more stupid" genius.I guess you're stupider.What I say is all true.We will continue to have a team full of over paid "character guys" who couldnt make anyone elses starting roster.

Great idea! Cut talented players! Fantastic!

Do we really need Lee Evans? He seems like a great guy,but holding on to players who are past their prime because of their personality is part of what makes the Bills so bush league.He's set to make 3.275 million plus a 1.5 million dollar bonus this year.That's almost 5 million dollars.He only had 81 recs in the last two years.Lee doesn't have height or size.All he ever had was speed.He's 30,the speed is gone.Every year the Bills staff says they want him more involved and not so one dimensional.News flash,all he ever was and could ever be is one dimensional.In 7 seasons with the Bills he only had two seasons with over 1000 yds,and I don't wanna hear that veteran leadership crap.How many wins in this decade of no playoffs has veteran leadership got us? With that 5 mil we could have a stud proven TE.

Of course the T.O.deal was for one year.He had a one yr contract genius.He wanted to run from this racist hick town.If he was offered a contract like they should've he might have stayed and gave us some credibility instead of going to cincy and giving them a thousand yard season.Oh wait we dont need him we have our speedster evans.

Are you hatin on Lee cause he's white?