Do we really need Lee Evans?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills | May look to move Lee Evans

Sun, 07 Aug 2011 08:26:56 -0700

The Buffalo Bills may look to trade WR Lee Evans during the preseason and could consider releasing him at some point.

0 Comments | Share: Tweet! Share on Facebook | Source: NationalFootballPost.com - Dan Pompei

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL#ixzz1UMGVmtRk

There are arguments for trading and keeping Evans. Trading him would make the Bills slightly worse in the short term and this would be significant if the Bills were contenders now. Trading him now while he has value will be a longer term benefit if they could get a good draft pick(s) for him. Keeping him would help the Bills passing game this year, but what would the benefit be? Maybe they go 7-9 instead of 5-11 (that's really being generous!) and what has been accomplished at the end of the year by keeping him ? Not much.

If the Bills have a plan to be serious contenders in 2 or 3 years, then it makes sense to me to trade him now and get some value in return and open cap space. The odds would also increase that they can draft a franchise QB next year.

The plan most Bills fans seem to favor is to hold on to him until his value evaporates as the Bills continue on their streak of sub .500 seasons. He'll catch a below average number of balls for a $9 million a year reveiver with a couple of nice long TD catches thrown in and Bills fans will again be satisfied with a mediocre season.

When our line can pass protect for 5 and 7 step drops, you will see Lee's numbers go up. All I saw last year was 2 and 3 step drops and the ball coming out quickly before Fitz would be a split second from getting killed. To hit the big plays deep, you have to be able to pass protect for the deeper drop back. We aren't good at that.

+1

When TE was QB, he was clearly afraid of 5 and 7 step drops (maybe rightly so) and would immediately look for a checkdown. Lee's numbers suffered because of this.

But unlike a lot of prima donna receivers out there, Lee never complains. He hasn't complained about having to work with 4 different head coaches or 6 different starting QBs during his Bills career. He hasn't complained about the woeful offense lines that couldn't block long enough for him to get open deep. Think of all the Ochocinco's and TO's and Randy Moss's who would be in the papers all the time explaining exactly why they aren't posting Pro Bowl numbers if they had been wearing Lee's shoes. Or who pout and take plays off when they feel the QB or coach isn't focusing on them enough. Lots of WRs these days are whiny babies. Not Lee.

+1

When TE was QB, he was clearly afraid of 5 and 7 step drops (maybe rightly so) and would immediately look for a checkdown. Lee's numbers suffered because of this.

But unlike a lot of prima donna receivers out there, Lee never complains. He hasn't complained about having to work with 4 different head coaches or 6 different starting QBs during his Bills career. He hasn't complained about the woeful offense lines that couldn't block long enough for him to get open deep. Think of all the Ochocinco's and TO's and Randy Moss's who would be in the papers all the time explaining exactly why they aren't posting Pro Bowl numbers if they had been wearing Lee's shoes. Or who pout and take plays off when they feel the QB or coach isn't focusing on them enough. Lots of WRs these days are whiny babies. Not Lee.

+83

bam

"Need"? No. But he's a talented receiver that plays "over top" which balances out with our multiple "underneath" receivers that we have. He's helpful, imo. He makes our offense better, even if he's not actively making a bunch of catches/plays.

I think we should keep him. He opens up the field for everyone. We all know that. I believe the reasoning for his trade or release would strictly have to do with our younger guys that need pt in order to develop. Stevie, Nelson, smith,jones and Roosevelt would benefit from evans' departure. If chan and buddy think they all have a chance to be big contributors, the move makes sense from a rebuilding standpoint. Get the kids in the game and see what they can do. If they don't produce, get rid of them. Of they never get a chance, they'll never know what they have. I just put 100 on them to win the SB at 100-1, so I hope they keep him. If they make the playoffs, I'm guaranteed 2k. Unlikely, yes, but I'm starting to think we have a chance to squeeze in there. Injuries will be the determining factor. Sure hope merriman can do the unthinkable, stay healthy.

Back to lee. Keeping him will make us a better team this year. Moving him should improve us down the road.

I think we should keep him. He opens up the field for everyone. We all know that. I believe the reasoning for his trade or release would strictly have to do with our younger guys that need pt in order to develop. Stevie, Nelson, smith,jones and Roosevelt would benefit from evans' departure. If chan and buddy think they all have a chance to be big contributors, the move makes sense from a rebuilding standpoint. Get the kids in the game and see what they can do. If they don't produce, get rid of them. Of they never get a chance, they'll never know what they have. I just put 100 on them to win the SB at 100-1, so I hope they keep him. If they make the playoffs, I'm guaranteed 2k. Unlikely, yes, but I'm starting to think we have a chance to squeeze in there. Injuries will be the determining factor. Sure hope merriman can do the unthinkable, stay healthy.

Back to lee. Keeping him will make us a better team this year. Moving him should improve us down the road.

I don't think they would benefit from him being gone, look at the rams without a deapthreat, what amandine have120 catches for 400 yards

New Era, i think the reason we keep Lee is not just because of the speeed downfield, because he was well coached against last year.

But he is a true veteran leader, and we know how Buddy and especially Chan love a player who leads and can teach.

These young kids, all of them can soak it up and become better themselves. Thats an asset right there. I would love to have all our potential rec corp make it, but i cant see making room by subtracting Lee. Ask me next year though.

This team has quality depth at every position including WR. The roster is fully stacked with elite players and we definitely can afford to keep letting them go because Buddy Nix is a great football man with a vision and plan and each year he drafts 15 blue chip starters. Who needs Evans? We didn't win any games with him. Who needs NFL caliber tackles? We have Chan, he can gameplan around not having blockers. Sign me up for season tickets!

I was at camp today and I thought he was clearly the best receiver there. It's a good, talented group but Evans is an important part. He made McGee look bad a couple of times and the younger guys were simply overmatched (yes I know it's only 1 day and camp but...).

I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson's success stirs the competitive spirit in him and he has a really good bounce back year. Remember, Johnson didn't go to camp as #2 last year and he and Fitz worked together a lot. That chemistry spilled over into the regular season when Fiz became the starter. This year Fitz and Evans are taking snaps together every day, he could have a big year. I think the potential upside of him having a 70 catch, 1,100 yard 10 TD season is a better risk than getting a 3rd or 4th rounder.

A couple other receiver observations:

1. Roosevelt is a darkhorse candidate to pull a David Nelson this year. He runs good routes and catches the ball well.

2. Brad Smith isn't much of a QB but he is intriguing split out wide or coming out of the backfield. Very fast...

3. TEs don't have much of a role but Chandler should do okay.

4. You have to like David Nelson, he just seems like a real professional receiver. With his size he's more durable than Roscoe Parrish and I think could be a really good 3rd WR, in the Ed McCaffrey mold (in his prime 1998-2000 pre broken leg).

5. They ran a lot of 4 wides with nice routes that we seem to see all the other teams run (quasi pick plays, the 3 bunched WRs, for example)

One other note on Brad Smith: he's a good player. They have him at QB, where he really isn't good (noticeably slow reading defenses when he passes). It looks like they are coming up with plays in the base offense to run for him as opposed to running the wildcat. There were people in the stands today that thought he was running the Wildcat when he was in there but they were in their standard shotgun with 3 or 4 WRs, sometimes with 1 in backfield. I liked him split out as a receiver better than the running plays from the QB position but he's only had a few practice days. He's a nice addition.

I was at camp today and I thought he was clearly the best receiver there. It's a good, talented group but Evans is an important part. He made McGee look bad a couple of times and the younger guys were simply overmatched (yes I know it's only 1 day and camp but...).

I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson's success stirs the competitive spirit in him and he has a really good bounce back year. Remember, Johnson didn't go to camp as #2 last year and he and Fitz worked together a lot. That chemistry spilled over into the regular season when Fiz became the starter. This year Fitz and Evans are taking snaps together every day, he could have a big year. I think the potential upside of him having a 70 catch, 1,100 yard 10 TD season is a better risk than getting a 3rd or 4th rounder.

A couple other receiver observations:

1. Roosevelt is a darkhorse candidate to pull a David Nelson this year. He runs good routes and catches the ball well.

2. Brad Smith isn't much of a QB but he is intriguing split out wide or coming out of the backfield. Very fast...

3. TEs don't have much of a role but Chandler should do okay.

4. You have to like David Nelson, he just seems like a real professional receiver. With his size he's more durable than Roscoe Parrish and I think could be a really good 3rd WR, in the Ed McCaffrey mold (in his prime 1998-2000 pre broken leg).

5. They ran a lot of 4 wides with nice routes that we seem to see all the other teams run (quasi pick plays, the 3 bunched WRs, for example)

One other note on Brad Smith: he's a good player. They have him at QB, where he really isn't good (noticeably slow reading defenses when he passes). It looks like they are coming up with plays in the base offense to run for him as opposed to running the wildcat. There were people in the stands today that thought he was running the Wildcat when he was in there but they were in their standard shotgun with 3 or 4 WRs, sometimes with 1 in backfield. I liked him split out as a receiver better than the running plays from the QB position but he's only had a few practice days. He's a nice addition.

Danke schoen, J.

All the camp snippets are great to read.

Bills | May look to move Lee Evans

Sun, 07 Aug 2011 08:26:56 -0700

The Buffalo Bills may look to trade WR Lee Evans during the preseason and could consider releasing him at some point.

0 Comments | Share: Tweet! Share on Facebook | Source: NationalFootballPost.com - Dan Pompei

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL#ixzz1UMGVmtRk

They should move him already.He isnt going to help our team.He hasnt made a difference in the past and certainly wont now.Tweek the line,get a legit QB,cut a little more of the fat and then we have a legitimate team.

They should move him already.He isnt going to help our team.He hasnt made a difference in the past and certainly wont now.Tweek the line,get a legit QB,cut a little more of the fat and then we have a legitimate team.

I only dont agree with the point highlighted

He got double teamed all of last season, if he gets double teamed Johnson doesnt get double teamed, you could end up with a mismatch somewhere because of the double team