Do we really need Lee Evans?

I went to a picnic today, three kegs of beer, and I spent the afternoon camped out by the 1.5 liter bottle of Jack Daniels.

When I arrive home, I read this post and all it's answers, then I realized I was drunk. WTF

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody takes him serious as a deep threat anymore.Johnson is our deep threat.Evans isn't fast anymore.DB's just jam him up.Forget speed, height and size are worth more.Ask every other NFL team that's a contender.And if Fitz isn't a deep ball guy how could evans be money.If evans ran a 4 flat we still couldn't get him the ball.

i guess you didn't see the perfectly timed pass Fitz hit Evans up the left sideline a few days ago at camp.

i will question your opinion that Fitzpatrick can't throw the deep ball. he's proven on several occasions that he can, is more than willing to do so no matter what play the coaches call. that includes his win under Perry Fewell, when Perry asked Fitz to be conservative, and Fitz hit the deep ball to seal a victory at home.

and no one can fault Fitz for throwing the deep ball to a wide-open Stevie Johnson against the Steelers in OT.

you ask me, Johnson still has something to prove entering this season.

you have somewhat of a point here in regards to Lee. i'll disagree, in saying Evans still has plenty of value to this offense. without him, i'm not sure if the mix works.

that said, you have a right to say what you're saying. your confrontational approach, however, toward other posters attempting to enter into the discussion makes it difficult to side with you. easy, there, tiger.

jw

The thing is, I really like Lee. I've met him many times. Had conversations with him and he is a really good guy. From a football standpoint however, he is just not that good. His only trick is speed and at the wrong side of 30, he doesn't really have that anymore. At least not enough to compensate for his "shortcomings". He's small and short for an NFL WR let alone a starting WR or being advertised as a #1.

I have to look at the attributes of true #1 WR in this league and Lee Only has the speed factor down.

1. Physically overpowering- Andre Johnson, Rodd White, Larry Fitzgerald, T.O.

2. Quickess- Wes Welker, Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith

3. Ability to beat double coverage- Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss

4. Ability to go up and get the ball- OchoCinco, TJ Houshmanzada, Plaxico Burress

5. Blocking ability- Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin

the only thing I'd really give Evans, like I said is speed. And at his age it's only downhill from here on out. We've seen the best production we will ever see out of Evans. Mark it down with a perminant Sharpie.

Here's what I know about Lee Evans: based on his production he is way OVERPAID, but it's not my money so who cares. He'll be retired before the Bills are contenders anyway. In a couple years, when he is gone, maybe the Bills will use his cap space more effectively.

He never was even close to being an elite receiver.

Do you realize Lee Evans importance to this team?

- We have SEVERAL underneath threats on this team namely Stevie J. and Rosco Parrish

- IN ORDER for underneath threats to do well you have to run the coverage deep so there are underneath soft spots to WORK

- Who stretches the defense if not Lee Evans?

If you dont have a deep vertical threat then the coverage plays tighter and sits on routes causing interceptions.....if d backs give cushion because they are being stretched then you have more room to work.

Another thing....Fitz is not a deep ball guy......so he needs the short to intermediate areas of the field to have soft spots.

Also.....if they can ever get this offensive line straightened out and can start running the ball well.....home run threats like Evans are gonna be MONEY

I agree!

It seems to a certain extent Lee's productions rises and falls with the QB. Lee is a deep threat but not great underneath. He does best with QBs who can throw deep (like Bledsoe and JP) and isn't as productive with QBs who don't throw the long ball particularly well (Edwards, Fitz).

If you pay attention to Chan, he says some interesting things. He's said in the past that Fitz needs to get more accurate on his deep throws. He's also said that Lee has to do a better job getting open on shorter routes. Both comments relate directly to Lee's productivity.

Still, Lee stretches defenses like no one else on the squad and he's a great locker room guy.

I agree!

It seems to a certain extent Lee's productions rises and falls with the QB. Lee is a deep threat but not great underneath. He does best with QBs who can throw deep (like Bledsoe and JP) and isn't as productive with QBs who don't throw the long ball particularly well (Edwards, Fitz).

If you pay attention to Chan, he says some interesting things. He's said in the past that Fitz needs to get more accurate on his deep throws. He's also said that Lee has to do a better job getting open on shorter routes. Both comments relate directly to Lee's productivity.

Still, Lee stretches defenses like no one else on the squad and he's a great locker room guy.

+1

If they let him go, he would absolutely get signed with another team and would probably be able to choose where he wanted to go. Knowing a lot of athletes from Wisco (his alma mater), he is very much a team first guy. I don't know why we are even talking about cutting him or letting him go or whatever. He is a talented receiver and needs to be utilized as such. So it's up to Evans and Chan to make that happen. We actually have underrated, talented receivers to compliment him. I for one am very excited for this year.

i guess you didn't see the perfectly timed pass Fitz hit Evans up the left sideline a few days ago at camp.

i will question your opinion that Fitzpatrick can't throw the deep ball. he's proven on several occasions that he can, is more than willing to do so no matter what play the coaches call. that includes his win under Perry Fewell, when Perry asked Fitz to be conservative, and Fitz hit the deep ball to seal a victory at home.

and no one can fault Fitz for throwing the deep ball to a wide-open Stevie Johnson against the Steelers in OT.

you ask me, Johnson still has something to prove entering this season.

you have somewhat of a point here in regards to Lee. i'll disagree, in saying Evans still has plenty of value to this offense. without him, i'm not sure if the mix works.

that said, you have a right to say what you're saying. your confrontational approach, however, toward other posters attempting to enter into the discussion makes it difficult to side with you. easy, there, tiger.

jw

Fitz and Evans need to go.Our team is pitiful if those players are considered elite.No team does anything without a franchise qb.Check every team thats in the playoffs year end and year out.And those teams dont overpay players.Well at least not the ones who dont make a difference in winning and losing.Cant see why anyone would believe Evans is worth 10 mil a year.He also gets a million dollar bonus every year.This year his bonus is 1.5 mil.

Fitz and Evans need to go.Our team is pitiful if those players are considered elite.No team does anything without a franchise qb.Check every team thats in the playoffs year end and year out.And those teams dont overpay players.Well at least not the ones who dont make a difference in winning and losing.Cant see why anyone would believe Evans is worth 10 mil a year.He also gets a million dollar bonus every year.This year his bonus is 1.5 mil.

Letting them go right now doesn't make us a better team- it would make us worse. Neither is elite, but they are the best we have. I would not trade Evans for Braylon Edwards.

Until we fix the oline nothing else will matter.

Letting them go right now doesn't make us a better team- it would make us worse. Neither is elite, but they are the best we have. I would not trade Evans for Braylon Edwards.

Until we fix the oline nothing else will matter.

i think this is the point. Lets talk about this next year. We just started to develop a passing game last season which is amazing with such weak oline play. We owe Lee a chance to succeed. Having the same quartebcak for two seasons in a row almost, might help.

Mcgee is in a similar situation. H ewill need to succeed this year and is healthy for a change. And the coaches as mentioned might have a handle. The chemistry looks better already so lets see what develops. If this season sucks and we look mismanaged again i will be ready to bash away. lol

When our line can pass protect for 5 and 7 step drops, you will see Lee's numbers go up. All I saw last year was 2 and 3 step drops and the ball coming out quickly before Fitz would be a split second from getting killed. To hit the big plays deep, you have to be able to pass protect for the deeper drop back. We aren't good at that.

now Fitz has to go? geez. i seem to recall the Bears making the Super Bowl without a franchise qb last decade. seattle did, too. and the jury may still well be out on Sanchez. i won't argue that Lee Evans hasn't played up to the value of his contract, however, it's tough to argue that Fitzpatrick is overpaid.

and when it comes to overpaying players, well, is Peyton Manning really worth $90 million over five years? debatable.

i don't see anything wrong with the Bills sticking with their offense going into this season. there was far too much uncertainty in regards to the lockout, and very little time to school new players on Gailey's system. the offense showed signs of relevance last year under Fitzpatrick, so why scuttle that development at this point, and given the handcuffs of no minicamps.

starting from scratch this offseason, would certainly be a setback. heck, the Bills essentially started from scratch last year under Gailey, given how the year progressed: Edwards cut, Lynch traded, the constant retooling of the offensive line.

i don't see how the team gets better this year without Evans and Fitz as it stands right now.

jw

now Fitz has to go? geez. i seem to recall the Bears making the Super Bowl without a franchise qb last decade. seattle did, too. and the jury may still well be out on Sanchez. i won't argue that Lee Evans hasn't played up to the value of his contract, however, it's tough to argue that Fitzpatrick is overpaid.

and when it comes to overpaying players, well, is Peyton Manning really worth $90 million over five years? debatable.[/font]

Fitz is currently playing up to his contract and then some. He should be given an extension (3yrs) reflective of a lower tiered starter money. I consider him a bridge qb until the Bills draft their own potentially upper tier franchise qb. If Luck, Barkley or Landry are available in next year's draft the Bills would be foolish not to seize the opportunity to take that caliber of talent.

In my view qbs such as Peyton, Brady and Brees deserve whatever they can get. With respect to Peyton and Brady it does become problematic towards the end of their backside careers and contracts. The system allows for (downward) adjustments (i.e. reworking contracts or cutting) when performances start to diminish.

the constant retooling of the offensive line.

I'm aware that the Bills are still in a rebuilding stage and it can't all be done in one or two seasons. However, our OL still needs to be reworked, most obviously at the OT positions.

i don't see how the team gets better this year without Evans and Fitz as it stands right now.

jw

If more variety isn't isn't added to the routes he run (underneath and quick hitters) his talents will be squandered. Being a one dimensional player (long sideline route) makes it much too easy to take him out of the game. I'm confident that Gailey will make the adjustment and bettter utilize him.

and when it comes to overpaying players, well, is Peyton Manning really worth $90 million over five years? debatable.

i don't see anything wrong with the Bills sticking with their offense going into this season. there was far too much uncertainty in regards to the lockout, and very little time to school new players on Gailey's system. the offense showed signs of relevance last year under Fitzpatrick, so why scuttle that development at this point, and given the handcuffs of no minicamps.

starting from scratch this offseason, would certainly be a setback. heck, the Bills essentially started from scratch last year under Gailey, given how the year progressed: Edwards cut, Lynch traded, the constant retooling of the offensive line.

jw

Not to mention bucs winning with brad Johnson, ravens with Trent dilfer, giants with Eli manning (unless someone wants to argue leading the league in turnovers by a large margin makes you elite), panthers went with delacome and you gotta go home.

and by the way Peyton is worth twice that much. But I agree with you

If more variety isn't isn't added to the routes he run (underneath and quick hitters) his talents will be squandered. Being a one dimensional player (long sideline route) makes it much too easy to take him out of the game. I'm confident that Gailey will make the adjustment and bettter utilize him.

Agreed. But even when he is not utilized better, he's still invaluable to this team running that route and taking the safety with him on it, which happens almost every time he runs it. And even some plays that the safety doesn't follow him the whole way, the amount of time that safety looks at him, prevents him from making the quicker read on covering Stevie or Roscoe or D Nelson.

From what seems to be happening at camp, Stevie Johnson is going to have a monster year. If our four guys stay healthy for awhile, I'm really looking forward to this offense. The OL is still a huge concern, but Fitz and Gailey can make up for a lot of its shortcomings.

From National Football Post this morning:

"The Bills have a crowd at the receiver position after the acquisition of Brad Smith. The former Jet joins Lee Evans, Steve Johnson and Robert Parrish, so don’t be surprised if the Bills part ways with Evans. The veteran had a down year in 2010 with only 37 catches, and he could have some trade value. Interesting parties have been sniffing around."

Nice to know Buffalo has a 7 footer, though older receiver on their roster.