Front office lacks urgency

mjt328

Last March, Bills GM Buddy Nix joked with reporters about his inactivity on the free agent market, while the front offices from other teams stayed up well past midnight to work big money deals with agents.

"They asked me if I was going to be there," said Nix. "Hell no, I ain't going to be there. I'm going to bed."

Of course, what Nix meant was that he believes in rebuilding a franchise through the draft, and not through free agency. But to frustrated sports fans that already question their team's commitment to winning, it was a certainly poor attempt at humor.

Now don't get me wrong. I like that Nix apparently has a plan and that he's willing to stick with it. He says he wants to build the team with young draftees and isn't willing to overspend on the big name free agents.

But still, it's hard not to look at this front office without sensing an attitude of apathy and laziness. Quite simply - nobody seems to be in a hurry for the Bills to get better.

Other teams (see New England, Philadelphia, Green Bay) are experts at managing every cent of the salary cap, stockpiling draft picks, getting maximum value on every single trade, aggressively pursuing the top free agents and exhausting all possibilities for improving their rosters. It's a "win at all costs" mentality.

The Bills are constantly caught in the "wait for next year" mentality - refusing to re-sign players for their market value (Paul Posluszny), relying on sub-par talent at key positions (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Demetrius Bell) and hoping for big contributions from unproven youngsters (Torrell Troup, Arthur Moats).

Full Article: http://buffalobillsstampede.blogspot.com/2011/08/front-office-lacks-urgency.html

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true. But it's nothing new. Since they canned Donahoe there really hasn't been a sense of any competitiveness from this front office. And it's not about signing other teams free agents. They just don't act like they are jockeying for position against the rest of the league.

Yeah, because if it were from Mark Gaughan it would be so much more poignant.

From the standpoint that Guaghan has regular access to the team that you, I or the blogger in question doesn't, then yes.

To make it out as a valid "article" just because it can be linked to another webpage is silly...

Post of the Decade (plus 1)

Nix and Gailey are in year two and doing well...there is no rush to sign guys they are STILL out there. If it looks like we need and ILB we will go get one - bang Barnett.....if it looks like we need a OT they will get one. The opinons that the line is a mess seems to go back to Edwards at QB. Since his departure the crappy offensive tackle talk has stopped. Until this preseason again

Yeah!! Bring back Donahoe!!

Are you crazy?!?!?

That's why Buddy is building thru the draft. The streets are lined with former GM's who, like Donahoe, tried to outsmart everyone and draft guys like McGahee & Roscoe, when they needed linemen and LB's . . . and sign free agents with sizzle (Bledsoe) when they have little to nothing left.

Buddy has the right plan - but he needs to deliver in the draft. We are clearly trying to go young.

Already after saying the draft would be his M.O., he showed he's not inflexible and afraid to go out and get a FA if he thinks they will help (See Barnett and Merriman). Also, the more I think about Brad Smith, the more I like the signing. This WILL hurt the Jets and will help us. NY media, ESPN & NFL Network all say the same thing. I think it will hurt the Jets more than it helps us, but that's OK too.

Stay calm and let him work his plan. It won't get fixed overnight.

I will be curious to see how the Eagles, Pats, Jets and Seahawks do with all their new FA's. What baggage do those guys bring? How will they do in 2011? We'll see - but I can virtually guarantee it won't be all roses!!

Fan base lacks patience.

Really, the fan base lacks patience? When was the last time we made the playoffs? Oh wait, is it tied for the longest streak in the NFL. Yep! If anything the fan base has had an abundance of patience with Ralph and his inability to spend and/or hire competent people. The fans continually pack the stadium, but get very little in return. The blogger or whoever he is makes a good point. We are "hoping" for too many questions marks at this point. It would have been nice to see the Bills go after Miller. Anyone know if Boss is still available. They also need to get some O line help. They were riddled with injuries last year, and with the shortened pre-season that number could go up. We need to stop raiding other teams practice squads like a squirrel in the trash and get some competent linemen.

Edited by RyanC883

Really, the fan base lacks patience? When was the last time we made the playoffs? Oh wait, is it tied for the longest streak in the NFL. Yep! If anything the fan base has had an abundance of patience with Ralph and his inability to spend and/or hire competent people.

31 other teams.

The streets are lined with former GM's who, like Donahoe, tried to outsmart everyone and draft guys like McGahee Spiller & Roscoe Williams, when they needed linemen and LB's . . . and sign free agents with sizzle (BledsoeMerriman) when they have little to nothing left.

FIXED

I'm not trying to be negative, but I'll believe in this "build through the draft" business works when the wins start happening.

Fan base lacks patience.

Cheerleaders lack perspecitive.

FIXED

I'm not trying to be negative, but I'll believe in this "build through the draft" business works when the wins start happening.

Agreed...not saying it can't happen, but when you have about 10 crappy drafts in a row, it might be time to try something a little different.

I don't agree with the notion that the Bills front office doesn't have the desire to win, but I do agree, whether by economic necessity, or just some sort of outdated football acumen, the franchise just seems to have a smug "we'll do it the old school way, and do it right"...which I would be fine wirth, if they had some sort of track record to back it up with.

i just want them to bring in some proven leaders to help the young guys along. trusting late round draft picks to come in and be major role players in year 1-2 is a recipe for 4-12 again