Front office lacks urgency

mjt328

The Spikes signing was HUGE. He was a stud. Fletcher was excellent. Milloy was a very good player. Sam Adams had a couple outstanding seasons. TD did a lot in free agency. And he had to. After his first draft netted Clements/Schobel/Henry....three guys who played in pro bowls as Bills....as well as Jonas Jennings who was very good when healthy......his drafts got weak and he seemed to lose any sense of a gameplan on draft day....making luxury picks like McGahee and Parrish early despite plenty of needs and a lot of age at other positions.

Oooh, yea I forgot about Milloy. I was too lazy to walk up to my 2004 Bills' team poster (FYI, which I hang lovingly as the best Bills team since I graduated from junior high -- I'm in grad school now) to check out the other free agents from that era, and I will say Milloy was pretty solid, and perhaps splash-worthy. Spikes was also huge, but again it could have been huge-er if we didn't lose most of a season from him due to injury. Sam Adams was solid but not as much a splash as Spikes/Fletcher/Milloy in the long run -- good player (who can forget his lumbering TD agst. the Pats?!), but I felt his stock dropped noticeably once Pat Williams left.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah - and he as head National scout had no input into the Bills top pick.

He had the juice to stop the pick if he felt strongly that Maybin was a turd

You couldn't be more right Sparty. I love when people are so selective about Nix's duties prior to him becoming the GM. Nix's mouth has no trouble opening but he kept it shut on draft day that year. :rolleyes:

Not quite--he was hired in 09 as what has been variously described as "National Scout" and "chief scout".

So, what's your point? The scouting staffs' job typically is done when the draft boards are finalized.

Nix was brought in to be another set of eyes and ears for Tom Modrak. Pinning the Maybin pick on him is a reach.

No scout in the league has the "juice" to stop a pick. Period. End of story.

The Maybin pick was a tug of war between Levy/Jauron and Modrak, who didn't care for Maybin. Jauron wanted him big time. Jauron won.

GO BILLS!!!

The Maybin pick was a tug of war between Levy/Jauron and Modrak, who didn't care for Maybin. Jauron wanted him big time. Jauron won.

GO BILLS!!!

maybe not an entry level scout

but one who was to become GM in a few months obviously carried a lot of weight with Ralph

GO BILLS!!!

I've heard this discussed before but I've never seen it confirmed by a link or actual quotes. Got one?

This is true. But it's nothing new. Since they canned Donahoe there really hasn't been a sense of any competitiveness from this front office. And it's not about signing other teams free agents. They just don't act like they are jockeying for position against the rest of the league.

So you know how they act? Secret cams at OBD? You have inside knowledge on what offers Nix is actually making, how he's working the phone, which agents he's in touch with?

Seems to me that Nix is acting in complete harmony with his stated philosophy. He says his intent is to build a Super Bowl team. While he might upgrade some positions through free agency, primarily he'll look to build through the draft.

Nix and others seem to believe that the marquee free agents are overpriced. There's a salary cap and if you overspend on one position, you have no choice but to underspend on others. It's better to get your stars through the draft, especially now with a rookie wage scale. And sure you might sign some FAs but if you continually chase after the overpriced Top 20, you'll get in trouble.

but one who was to become GM in a few months obviously carried a lot of weight with Ralph

So, while Levy/Jauron and Modrak were debating the Maybin pick in the Bills' war room on draft day, Nix should have countermanded three people he reported to, sidled up to Ralph and informed him that taking Maybin would be a huge mistake? Really? You honestly think that's an accurate picture of the dynamics involved?

Ironically, if you asked him, RW would take full responsibility for the Maybin pick. But I assure you that neither he nor Nix had very much to do with it other than RW giving his OK.

GO BILLS!!!

Tom Brady wants to be traded to the Bills. There...it has just been reported that Tom Brady wants to play for the Bills. Place no importance on the opinion of others.

No no you have to write it like this

Tom Brady traded to the bills?

It's all about the questionmark

I've heard this discussed before but I've never seen it confirmed by a link or actual quotes. Got one?

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article192753.ece

Former coach Dick Jauron, for instance, was the deciding voice on the Aaron Maybin pick.

There were also a bunch of talking heads on the radio saying the same things. Paul Hamilton, Sully, on WGR. And others.

I've had my own conversations with people as well. Not Levy, Jauron, or Modrak but others familiar with the situation. Please take that with a bolder of salt by all means. I fully understand that in the context of an anonymous internet forum.

GO BILLS!!!

what a dumb post. not even worth a reply. anyone who says Poz went for market value knows little about the NFL.

Were you not paying attention in economics class when they taught that a products value is what the market will bear? The market bore Poz's price, so therefore, that is market value. Pretty simple really. You may not think he is worth that, but obviously, he is to Jacksonville at least.

After turning a 5-3 team into a 3-5 team, we just needed to give Gregg "one more year". After successive losing seasons, Jauron started out 5-1

Don't forget the 2004 9-7 winning season.

Edited by reddogblitz

I'm not buying that. However, for argument's sake, let's say your correct. What exactly is your point?

Are you saying that Nix is the one person responsible for Maybin being on the team?

Are you 100% positive that Nix could've stopped Jauron & Brandon from drafting Maybin?

I have no proof that Nix did not want Maybin. Yet I do not think you have any proof that shows he did want Maybin.

Let's not forget that during that same draft we got Eric Wood, Jairus Byrd & Andy Levitre. Does Nix get any credit for having influence in drafting them?

As others have already pointed out, you clearly have no idea what any form of an NFL scout does, at all.

Buddy has the right plan - but he needs to deliver in the draft. We are clearly trying to go young.

Kinda funny how indignant some people are when it's mentioned that the fanbase has lost patience.

Quite a bit of the fanbase HAS lost its patience (or else why would all these posters be complaining about how the Bills are run?) but I would add that this loss of patience is understandable and justified. The Bills HAVE sucked for over a decade now.

I just think it's unfortunate that the team is taking a patient approach to rebuilding (for the first time in a very long time) at a time when much of the fan base has no patience.

Agreed...not saying it can't happen, but when you have about 10 crappy drafts in a row, it might be time to try something a little different.

Why do people want to forget or ignore the fact that this GM/Head Coach pair is entering their second year at the helm? People don't want to hear it but the drafts previous to the 2009 draft are irrelevant.

You're wasting your time trying to talk sense into the morons on this forum.All they want to do is spread some juvenile sarcasm.90% of these people know nothing about football.

From what I've seen of your posts, you're one of the 90%.

Donahoe was a failure but the Jauron/Gailey era has run just as long and has been even less competitive and entertaining. At least when Donahoe was here there was a sense that he was actively trying to improve the team. He blew it by hiring a couple of dud head coaches who couldn't make the talent on hand play with the mental toughness needed from week to week. Since Donahoe left, the cupboard has been stripped bare and not re-stocked very well so it's really hard to guage if this team is on the right track because they have never even gotten to the point where teams can even take them seriously. Check Jauron's record with the Bills against winning teams........the Bills have barely been in the NFL since Donahoe left.

Jauron/Gailey era, Dick? Gailey became coach AFTER Jauron was fired. And what is this obsession with a guy who was GM 6 years ago? Donahoe is irrelevant. And why are you talking about Dick Jauron and his record against winning teams? Jauron was fired. The guy who hired him isn't here anymore either. It's like you hypercritical Bills fans just can't let go of the past and give the new guys any sort of leeway.

Because the Donahoe era was the end of the era of real NFL GM's for the Bills. That basically ran for 20 years spanning Polian/Butler/Donahoe.

Say what you want about Donahoe, but he was a winner in Pittsburgh and as disappointing as it was that his tenure didn't yieid playoff appearances..........what's happening since he left is far worse. Back then, Bills fans were mad that the team was underachieving. Since then, they haven't had the talent to compete. Basically, this team has been playing offense and defense like one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL since. Jauron's "play not to lose" approach yielded some incredibly boring 7 win seasons which belied the fact that they could not stand toe-to-toe with a winning team. Gailey's arrival only served to prove just how incapable of competing this roster was when they actually threw punches and played football instead of run it- run it- run it and punt it and hope for a turnover.

Donahoe was a winner in Pittsburgh? And what happened to the organization after he left? Hint: They won 4 Super Bowls before he arrived, none when he was there, and 2 after he left.

And what job in football has Donahoe held since he was fired in Buffalo?

As for the rest of your post, See above. The topic is THE CURRENT Front Office. Apparently after just one season, some of you are brilliant enough to know that Nix and Gailey will not be successful. I wish I was as smart as you are.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

You must be using sarcasm. To read this site, the Bills fans would seem (in the majority) to be the most patient fans in the world. Witness endless threads about how we just need to buy into the latest "regime"'s efforts to turn things around (recall the same with Donohoe + G Williams/Mularkey and Levy Jauron. After turning a 5-3 team into a 3-5 team, we just needed to give Gregg "one more year". After successive losing seasons, Jauron started out 5-1 and guys here were actually predicting a "bidding war" for his services when his contract ended. Someone, recently, was even so inspired by this offseason that he started a thread singing the praises of Russ Brandon!

In fact, fans here who have lost patience are shouted down routinely and described as malcontents, frauds or even mentally ill. No, I would conclude the Bills have the most forgiving fans in the NFL.

I meant the fanbase lacks patience with the Nix/Gailey regime's rebuild plan. I should have been more specific.