Front office lacks urgency

mjt328

Poz was WAY overpaid...And Bell may still be a bit raw and inexperienced in comparison to guys who have played Football their whole life, but he is certainly not a sub-par talent...Bell's actually VERY talented athletically...The waiting-for-next-year mode is 100% due to the fact that The Bills Draft Picks, most of whom came before Nix, have not lived up to expectation...Let's see if that continues...I know #99 is going to have something to say about that sub-par talent thing... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all through my life, people always told me, 'If you don't rush into things, you won't do them very well'. I'm a firm believe in this philosophy. Trying the 1-2 turn around has worked so well for the Bills the past ten years or so, I definitely think it's a winning strategy compared to patience.

This is true. But it's nothing new. Since they canned Donahoe there really hasn't been a sense of any competitiveness from this front office. And it's not about signing other teams free agents. They just don't act like they are jockeying for position against the rest of the league.

Mort? Is that you?

Someone once commented that there is a reason players are free agents. The reason is that their team didn't lock them up with a new deal. Simple. All the available FA's teams had that opportunity. Either the player thought the deal wasn't good enough and said no, like Whitner or Poz, or they weren't offered a deal. Either way, somebody, player or team, has the wrong idea about the player's value. So Poz goes to Jacksonville. The reason he was a free agent was that Buffalo didn't think he was worth the money. Barnett comes to Buffalo. Did Green Bay think he was getting slower? Did they have a better player on the roster? The point is all the FA are a gamble of sorts. Look at Hainsworth. He goes from the hundred million dollar man to a fifth rounder. Why? Right now, I'm trusting Nix.

I have never found any of Gaughan's articles poignant, but the Bills' performance has occasionally brought a tear to my eye.

(Oh, and I think you meant "pertinent.")

You know, I hadn't really considered if it was "pertinent". Kind of a generic 50 cent word for people who can't tie a thought together.

The question is whether the article moves you. It's an opinion piece whose point is clearly not to raise your spirit about the direction of your beloved Bills. You get that, right?

Remember when Donahoe was here and we made that huge splash, signing that LB from Houston on midnight of free agency. (I forget his name)? It was thrilling to be so active in FA...yet ultimately unsuccessful.

Donahoe was a failure but the Jauron/Gailey era has run just as long and has been even less competitive and entertaining. At least when Donahoe was here there was a sense that he was actively trying to improve the team. He blew it by hiring a couple of dud head coaches who couldn't make the talent on hand play with the mental toughness needed from week to week. Since Donahoe left, the cupboard has been stripped bare and not re-stocked very well so it's really hard to guage if this team is on the right track because they have never even gotten to the point where teams can even take them seriously. Check Jauron's record with the Bills against winning teams........the Bills have barely been in the NFL since Donahoe left.

Why are those two eras tied together? Are you really arguing in favor of Donahoe?

Because the Donahoe era was the end of the era of real NFL GM's for the Bills. That basically ran for 20 years spanning Polian/Butler/Donahoe.

Say what you want about Donahoe, but he was a winner in Pittsburgh and as disappointing as it was that his tenure didn't yieid playoff appearances..........what's happening since he left is far worse. Back then, Bills fans were mad that the team was underachieving. Since then, they haven't had the talent to compete. Basically, this team has been playing offense and defense like one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL since. Jauron's "play not to lose" approach yielded some incredibly boring 7 win seasons which belied the fact that they could not stand toe-to-toe with a winning team. Gailey's arrival only served to prove just how incapable of competing this roster was when they actually threw punches and played football instead of run it- run it- run it and punt it and hope for a turnover.

Remember when Donahoe was here and we made that huge splash, signing that LB from Houston on midnight of free agency. (I forget his name)? It was thrilling to be so active in FA...yet ultimately unsuccessful.

Eddie Robinson? Jeff Posey?

At any rate, yeah none of TD's FA signings was completely mind-blowing. I'll give him London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes, he'd get a lot more credit for the latter if not for Spikes' injuries.

On the flip side, there were a couple respectable names like Chris Villareal, Larry Centers (who got a Pro Bowl invite w the Bills), Izell Reese (not to forget the rando preseason FA signings like Olandis Gary, James Jett) -- somewhat recognizable names but who were caught a couple years too late to really be considered a "splash."

At any rate, yeah none of TD's FA signings was completely mind-blowing. I'll give him London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes, he'd get a lot more credit for the latter if not for Spikes' injuries.

On the flip side, there were a couple respectable names like Chris Villareal, Larry Centers (who got a Pro Bowl invite w the Bills), Izell Reese (not to forget the rando preseason FA signings like Olandis Gary, James Jett) -- somewhat recognizable names but who were caught a couple years too late to really be considered a "splash."

Jeff Posey!! Thank you! It was driving me crazy not remembering his name.

I think TD also brought in Jason Gildon, who never made it out of the preseason (and who incidentally lives about 5 minutes from my house in Pittsburgh).

Fan base lacks patience.

You must be using sarcasm. To read this site, the Bills fans would seem (in the majority) to be the most patient fans in the world. Witness endless threads about how we just need to buy into the latest "regime"'s efforts to turn things around (recall the same with Donohoe + G Williams/Mularkey and Levy Jauron. After turning a 5-3 team into a 3-5 team, we just needed to give Gregg "one more year". After successive losing seasons, Jauron started out 5-1 and guys here were actually predicting a "bidding war" for his services when his contract ended. Someone, recently, was even so inspired by this offseason that he started a thread singing the praises of Russ Brandon!

In fact, fans here who have lost patience are shouted down routinely and described as malcontents, frauds or even mentally ill. No, I would conclude the Bills have the most forgiving fans in the NFL.

Buddy was just a scout when Maybin was drafted.

Not quite--he was hired in 09 as what has been variously described as "National Scout" and "chief scout".

"Just a scout" would be a (generous) description of the former college line coach with no scouting experience they hired recently.

The Spikes signing was HUGE. He was a stud. Fletcher was excellent. Milloy was a very good player. Sam Adams had a couple outstanding seasons. TD did a lot in free agency. And he had to. After his first draft netted Clements/Schobel/Henry....three guys who played in pro bowls as Bills....as well as Jonas Jennings who was very good when healthy......his drafts got weak and he seemed to lose any sense of a gameplan on draft day....making luxury picks like McGahee and Parrish early despite plenty of needs and a lot of age at other positions.

what a dumb post. not even worth a reply.

rpcolosi........super genius