barnett vs poz

rpcolosi

Just the facts..

Scouts inc take - Poz - 82 (great hitter, works through traffic) and Barnett 76 (has some pop, gets through traffic, great in coverage)

Age: Poz will be 27 this season, Barnett 30. Both will be 33 at the end of their contracts, so we'd get poz at the same age as we have Barnett. Personally I'll take a guy with a better injury history, a SB ring, and the ability to cover a TE and RB.

Size: Poz 6'1 238 Barnett 6'2 236.... failing to see where Poz is so much bigger

Best seasons the past 4 years: Poz 2009 - (in just 12 games, very impressive) 12 110tck 87solo 23asst 1.0sack 3ff 0 0 3int

Poz 2010 - (in just 14 games, very impressive) 14 151tck 103solo 48asst 2.0sack 0ff 0 0 0int

Barnett 2007 (16 games) - 16 131tck 102solo 29asst 3.5sack 0 1fr 0 2int

Barnett 2009 (16 games) - 16 105tck 82solo 23asst 4.0sack 0ff 0fr 0 0int

*** Football Outsides commented on the bills assigning tackles at a higher rate than other teams.

Last year, the Bills game trackers gave out an average of 1.5 tackles per eligible tackle play (i.e., plays that could be credited with a tackle, such as completed passes, rushing plays, etc.). That total was third-highest in the league and is in complete contrast with the 1.3 tackles per play credited to the Jaguars defenders (tied for the lowest total in the league). That is about a 13 percent difference in tackle volume between the teams, but even if we factor Posluszny's numbers at the Jaguars rate, he would still end up with around 131 tackles, a total that would still have been a top-10 figure.

and the most important one...

Injuries: Last 4 years total games played --> Poz 45 (1 recurrent injury, broken arm)

--> Barnett 45 ( 2 unrelated injuries, ACL and wrist)

We got better losing Poz and gaining Barnett. Avoid the analysts opinions and look at the numbers and injury history. LBs can play quite well from 30 on (just ask Fletcher, Spikes, Ray Lewis,Brian Urlacher).

Great post. All excellent points and the conclusion you draw is irrefutable.

whether or not he's an upgrade from poz, (never was really impressed w/ barnett) we won't be hamstrung by a ridiculous contract for a long time and he's at least comparable in terms of production. win/win situation for us.

AS LONG AS Barnett can stay healthy then this is definately not a push its a bills win.....my reasons....

- Everyone wants to point to Poz's great tackle stat....I am not going to slam him for making tackles past the line of scrimmage when our D line was so poor and in its first year of rebiulding.....but it is important to remember that our defense couldn't get itself off the field.....the more time on the field = more opportunities to make a tackle 5-10 yards past the line of scrimmage....a defense that gets itself off the field isn't going to have as many tackles

- The single biggest thing I look forward to here is seeing if the substraction of Whitner who couldn't cover anybody....the addition of a safety who CAN Cover....and the addition of a real bonafied coverage linebacker like Barnet will equal Tight Ends not roaming free down the middle of our defense killing us every game.

IF Barnett can stay healthy its a win win....I dont even count the fact that he was like half the price as Poz because its not my money.

One stat that needs to exist for LBs is "average rushing/passing yardage allowed per tackle." I guarantee Barnett has Poz beat in that. It looks like the Bills got an upgrade. The Jaguars overpaid.

Is your glass half empty or half full

Barnett is a winner, Pos is a loser. Advantage: Bills. :thumbsup:

What? Poz is a pro dude bottom line

I agree, but don't factor in the superbowl ring. Not Poz's fault he played on a bad team and not Barnett's fault he played on a good one.

Barnett had absolutely nothing to do with getting to or winning the superbowl, he didn't even travel and got called put by Aaron Rogers for not participating

I agree, but don't factor in the superbowl ring. Not Poz's fault he played on a bad team and not Barnett's fault he played on a good one.

Barnett had absolutely nothing to do with getting to or winning the superbowl, he didn't even travel and got called put by Aaron Rogers for not participating

Roughly speaking I feel it's a push with an opportunity for a win. I think that as a player in top form, Barnett is a touch better. However, he's hit the 30 yr mark and starting to show more injuries recently. I feel he's unlikely to finish the year without missing a couple games. Poz is younger and a little more likely to stay healthier IMO. Being on the field is always better than off of it. I think Barnett will fit our scheme a little better, and hopefully a LOT better.

Contract wise, big plus for Barnett over Poz who is pretty much overpaid.

As someone mentioned, Barnett is a MAJOR upgrade over Torbor and we should be happy for that.

Nick Barnett is not injury prone. Before the ACL and wrist injuries, he started 87 of his previous 89 games. One game he missed was his rookie season, and I forget what it was. The other missed game was in 2006 and it was a broken hand that he ended up playing the rest of the season with after missing the one game.

Yea, and he watched the game from his living room just like Poz did!

Not exactly... Barnett watched the game from the sidelines at Cowboy's stadium :D

More details from ESPN's FA Tracker:

Poz was scored as an 84, Barnett a 76, the scores translate to:

90-100: Elite Player

Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. ... Premier NFL player who has all the skills to consistently play at a championship level. ... Rates as one of the top players at his position in the league.

80-89: Outstanding Player

Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL. ... A feature player who has an impact on the outcome of the game. ... Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out.

70-79: Good Starter

Solid starter who is close to being an outstanding player. ... Has few weaknesses and usually will win his individual matchup but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the league.

That said, here's the "Expert's Take" on both:

Poz: After missing most of his rookie season with a major arm injury, Posluszny has played at a high level for the past three years. He has good size and strength with just above-average athleticism for the position. He is not a great athlete for the spot but is rarely out of position because of his first-step quickness and smarts. Posluszny is effective to take on blocks and uses his hands well to shed. He has improved in coverage and looks fluid in his zone drops. He isn't great in pure man schemes but does understand route progression in the passing game. He is an instinctive player who understands angels, run fits and how to leverage the football. He is a solid tackler, delivering power and punch on contact. Poslunzny is a high-energy defender who wins with toughness, technique, intelligence and quickness, and should continue being a very productive linebacker for Buffalo in the coming years.

Barnett: Barnett is an excellent athlete with deceptive strength and great instincts. His speed and quickness give him outstanding range from sideline to sideline. Barnett is a quick reactor as plays unfold and has a knack for attacking the line of scrimmage. He is a solid tackler with pop and power on contact. Barnett can work thru trash well to stay alive to the ball. He has natural coverage ability with quickness, lateral agility and speed to be effective in both man and zone schemes.

You decide. To me it looks like we need Barnett more than Poz, regardless of those scores (not sure why Poz is rated higher - only 8 pts).

Great post. And while it is easy to right off the money as it isn't ours...when an organization such as the Bills is a bit tight with money, the savings on Nick allow the team to be more active in pursuing things such as a TE, OT, or in extending their own best players.

I never hated Poz but I simply dont think he is worth 7mil per year....period

I feel the Jags overpaid and Im glad the Bills didnt try to match their offer.

If Barnett stays healthy he will be a very good pick up and will bring two things

to the table that Poz never would....big play capability by getting into the backfield

on plays and he doesnt have to come off the field on obvious throwing downs.

I cant see paying a guy 7mil when he is a liabilty on third down covering a back or TE

We gained ... Jacksonville got ripped off ... Poz, a quality guy, made out big time but there is no way the Bills should have paid him anywhere close to that and we got a better player for less money! Way to go Buddy!

If the Bills use it ... Money to sign other players. Poz had the blue print for being a buffalo sort of guy but he is not worth the money Jax gave him.