Starting to look like an NFL front 7

eschej13

Hopefully all of the complaining stops. Our front 7 of D.Edwards-Williams-Dareus (DL) and Merriman-Barnett-Davis-Kelsay (LB) should be much improved. We now have experience in the scheme. And don't forget about the Stache roaming the sidelines now. Legitimate NFL players with a legitimate coach should equal an improving team.

Hopefully all of the complaining stops. Our front 7 of D.Edwards-Williams-Dareus (DL) and Merriman-Barnett-Davis-Kelsay (LB) should be much improved. We now have experience in the scheme. And don't forget about the Stache roaming the sidelines now. Legitimate NFL players with a legitimate coach should equal an improving team.

I love our front 3, but our LBs are still in question. Merriman? What's he done? Barnett? Downside of his career. Davis? Could be our best LB which is PATHETIC. Kelsay? Do i need to say anything else? :wallbash:

Totally agree. What a difference in our front seven.

I love our front 3, but our LBs are still in question. Merriman? What's he done? Barnett? Downside of his career. Davis? Could be our best LB which is PATHETIC. Kelsay? Do i need to say anything else? :wallbash:

Well I guess you hate the patriots moves as well, because their pickups haven't really been that great.

Free agency is picking up players that other teams decided they didn't want.

Totally agree. What a difference in our front seven three.

Fixed for you. Our LBs are still average at best. If Merriman can return to his former self, then we're improved. But I highly doubt that's going to happen. HIGHLY doubtful. And Moats better start in front of Kelsay. The only time Kelsay should be allowed on the field is at DE when we go 43

Totally agree. What a difference in our front seven.

Well I guess you hate the patriots moves as well, because their pickups haven't really been that great.

Free agency is picking up players that other teams decided they didn't want.

You're DELUSIONAL. Haynesworth and Wilfork? Haynesworth "SUCKED" with the Redskins because he was miserable, was umotivated and wasn't trying. You think that'll happen with Belichick? Nuh uh. And Ochocinco? Sure, he's been average the last couple years. That's what happens when you have an average QB and a below average team. Just wait til he steps on the field with Welker, Branch and Brady.

You can knock their offseason moves all u want, but theres a reason why they're ALWAYS the team to beat. I give respect where respect's due.

Ok have a nice rainy day and let all the black clouds follow you where ever you go in life. :thumbsup:

Whatever Dre... You're delusional thinking that haynesworth and ochocinco are major pickups. Like I said, free agency is picking up someone else's trash.

The patriots are still real strong due to brady, other than that, I like what we have done.

No LB core can be considered good with Kelsay as a starter. Moats is way better but who knows if he will start. He played great as a 4-3 Sam in an over front last year. That should be fairly similiar to a role he will play in a 34. He has to be a starter IMO.

Fixed for you. Our LBs are still average at best. If Merriman can return to his former self, then we're improved. But I highly doubt that's going to happen. HIGHLY doubtful. And Moats better start in front of Kelsay. The only time Kelsay should be allowed on the field is at DE when we go 43

You're DELUSIONAL. Haynesworth and Wilfork? Haynesworth "SUCKED" with the Redskins because he was miserable, was umotivated and wasn't trying. You think that'll happen with Belichick? Nuh uh. And Ochocinco? Sure, he's been average the last couple years. That's what happens when you have an average QB and a below average team. Just wait til he steps on the field with Welker, Branch and Brady.

You can knock their offseason moves all u want, but theres a reason why they're ALWAYS the team to beat. I give respect where respect's due.

If almost ANY other team traded for Albert Haynesworth and Chad Ochocinco, analysts would be calling them "desperation moves." All we would hear about is how these guys are cancer and a distraction to their teams, unmotivated, unpredictable...and a total wastes of roster space. New England makes the move and it's brilliant.

Same thing happens every draft. The Patriots stockpile late draft picks and they are considered geniuses. Nobody points out that New England has blown the VAST majority of those draft picks. After 10 years of pulling this crap, New England's impact players on offense are still Tom Brady and Tom Brady. Take Wilfork off that defense, and they are below average.

When those top guys retire - Belichek or not - this team is going to bottom out.

If Kelsay sits on the bench after having signed the contract extension he just signed last year, I'll eat a football.

There's also a reason they have ALWAYS lost playoff games since 2003.

Whatever Dre... You're delusional thinking that haynesworth and ochocinco are major pickups. Like I said, free agency is picking up someone else's trash.

The patriots are still real strong due to brady, other than that, I like what we have done.

I can't believe anyone would look at those Patriot's moves and say they were nothing much. That team is going to be a powerhouse. And, it's good for us to get the best competition we can. We're going to have to be very creative this year in attacking that Defense of N.E.'s - because, for the most part, Bellicheck is always one or two steps ahead of us. When we can get our ---- together enough to compete with those guys, not to mention the Jets, we'll be ready for anyone.

And, we did go toe to toe with Baltimore and Pittsburgh last year. I think it's just a matter of Bellicheck's familiarity with our personnel and with our schemes.

Patriots are still the class of the AFCE but anyone who thinks Haynesworth is going to just flip a switch and turn into a stud they're dreaming. Winners play like winners. Haynesworth had dogged azz for three seasons now. He probably forgot how to play football.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I can't believe anyone would look at those Patriot's moves and say they were nothing much.

just curious, do you believe it's possible that one of both of these players don't work out?

Edited by jeremy2020

Did someone p*ss in your cheerios this morning? You've been bitching about everything in every thread on the board today. Christ grab some midol.

Edited by Green Lightning

My concern isn't just about the front seven.... it's about the front eight/nine/ten/eleven. We ended the season with six-some LBs on IR, plus Dwan Edwards. Wanna know why close losses earlier in the season became blow outs toward December? Not having a stable of serviceable LB reserves has something to do with it...

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk

I can't believe anyone would look at those Patriot's moves and say they were nothing much. That team is going to be a powerhouse. And, it's good for us to get the best competition we can. We're going to have to be very creative this year in attacking that Defense of N.E.'s - because, for the most part, Bellicheck is always one or two steps ahead of us. When we can get our ---- together enough to compete with those guys, not to mention the Jets, we'll be ready for anyone.

And, we did go toe to toe with Baltimore and Pittsburgh last year. I think it's just a matter of Bellicheck's familiarity with our personnel and with our schemes.

Sanners is probably one of those kids that said "Randy Moss signed with the Patriots? He'll do nothing. Look what he did with the Raiders." Meanwhile he's catching 23 TDs in a single season. Yea, what a has been. Its amazing what good coaching can do to a player.

Did someone p*ss in your cheerios this morning? You've been bitching about everything in every thread on the board today. Christ grab some midol.

How did we improve our defense? I don't get it. We let Poz go and got Barnett who's a shell of his former self. Improvement over Poz? Not really. Shawne Merriman? You guys act like he's going to be his former self and get 7-10 sacks this year without even seeing him play the last 2 or 3 yrs. Chris Kelsay, Andra Davis and Moats? And you guys sound like this is an improvement from what we had last year?

U want to see improvement? Look at the Eagles defense now. THATS IMPROVEMENT. Look at what the Lions defense looks like. Getting Vanden Bosch, getting Suh and Fairley. Picking up Corey Williams. THATS IMPROVEMENT. They've managed to address their problems over a year or 2 and they've improved already. We sign a bunch of has beens who can't even finish a full season and we're already look like an "NFL front 7?"

Lay down the pipe people.

I;ll be waiting for you guys here when the season starts. And I'll be here listening to your constant whining and btching about how we can never improve this team.

Yeah, not really :unsure:

Haynesworth will be as good as Warren was, and you Can pencil in Ochocinco for 80rec 1000yds. Did I mention they were had for 5th and 6th rd picks?

I think it is all in how you look at it......

- When people look these LB's they might see past accomplishment.....Merrimen (former pro bowler), Andre Davis (experienced thumper), Barnett (experienced player form a supper bowl team, Kelsy (well....is um....Kelsay) and then you have veterans backing up combined with promising youth

OR

- You are looking at the amoutn of time missed to injuries in the top players

It really is how you choose to look at it. I think they need to prove it on the field.

I will say this...what nobody is talking about is the correlation of talent in the DL and how it translates to LB play.....we have at least TWO of the THREE downline that are complete studs......then you have guys in Troupe and Carrington that were drafted high this past year and showed promise. Its a solid line....shoot.....its a MORE then solid line.....and that should help out the linebackers.

Sanners is probably one of those kids that said "Randy Moss signed with the Patriots? He'll do nothing. Look what he did with the Raiders." Meanwhile he's catching 23 TDs in a single season. Yea, what a has been. Its amazing what good coaching can do to a player.

How did we improve our defense? I don't get it. We let Poz go and got Barnett who's a shell of his former self. Improvement over Poz? Not really. Shawne Merriman? You guys act like he's going to be his former self and get 7-10 sacks this year without even seeing him play the last 2 or 3 yrs. Chris Kelsay, Andra Davis and Moats? And you guys sound like this is an improvement from what we had last year?

U want to see improvement? Look at the Eagles defense now. THATS IMPROVEMENT. Look at what the Lions defense looks like. Getting Vanden Bosch, getting Suh and Fairley. Picking up Corey Williams. THATS IMPROVEMENT. They've managed to address their problems over a year or 2 and they've improved already. We sign a bunch of has beens who can't even finish a full season and we're already look like an "NFL front 7?"

I;ll be waiting for you guys here when the season starts. And I'll be here listening to your constant whining and btching about how we can never improve this team.

Calm down Dre. I agree that people need to chill about the Bills D, but don't drink the Detroit kool aid. They got Suh just like we got Dareus. Vanden Bosch had 4 sacks last year in only 11 games. Big woop.

Calm down Dre. I agree that people need to chill about the Bills D, but don't drink the Detroit kool aid. They got Suh just like we got Dareus. Vanden Bosch had 4 sacks last year in only 11 games. Big woop.

Vanden Bosch made more of an impact than just sacks. He was the catalyst on that defense. I am drinking the Lions kool- aid when it comes to their defense. I'm talking about the improvement of their defense. Lions were i think 5th or 6th in the league in sacks this year and that number will sure to go up with Fairley in the mix. Louis Delmas is an up and coming star at the safety position and they resigned CHris Houston.

It doesn't take much to improve a defense. That's my point. If the Lions can go from almost dead last in sacks to almost top 5 and dead last in defense to the middle of the pack in overall defense in one season. Why the heck does it take the Bills over 5 years to make these adjustments?

Vanden Bosch made more of an impact than just sacks. He was the catalyst on that defense. I am drinking the Lions kool- aid when it comes to their defense. I'm talking about the improvement of their defense. Lions were i think 5th or 6th in the league in sacks this year and that number will sure to go up with Fairley in the mix. Louis Delmas is an up and coming star at the safety position and they resigned CHris Houston.

It doesn't take much to improve a defense. That's my point. If the Lions can go from almost dead last in sacks to almost top 5 and dead last in defense to the middle of the pack in overall defense in one season. Why the heck does it take the Bills over 5 years to make these adjustments?

I'd say Suh was the catalyst hence the All-Pro selection.

That's the real question, and I'm sure we all have a few ideas why. As for the Lions, they remind me of the Browns a few years back where everyone had them finishing 11-5 on making the playoffs. Of course it rests on Stafford's shoulders, literally. But I just don't see them getting in.

Three of the four times Randy Moss went to another team, Sanners would have been right. ;)

Nick Barnett is a shell of his former self? How the hell do you know? He had his best season in 2009. He was playing well last year for four games and then hurt his wrist, not a debilitating injury that would erode his skills. He had ten tackles in the game he got hurt in, his last game.

I'd say Suh was the catalyst hence the All-Pro selection.

That's the real question, and I'm sure we all have a few ideas why. As for the Lions, they remind me of the Browns a few years back where everyone had them finishing 11-5 on making the playoffs. Of course it rests on Stafford's shoulders, literally. But I just don't see them getting in.

Suh was the catalyst on the field. yes. But ask any one of those guys who the LEADER was on and off the field, it was VANDEN BOSCH.

Three of the four times Randy Moss went to another team, Sanners would have been right. ;)

Nick Barnett is a shell of his former self? How the hell do you know? He had his best season in 2009. He was playing well last year for four games and then hurt his wrist, not a debilitating injury that would erode his skills. He had ten tackles in the game he got hurt in, his last game.

Dude that was almost 3 years ago. I don't care what he did 3 or 10 years ago.

Dude that was almost 3 years ago. I don't care what he did 3 or 10 years ago.

No, it was 10 months ago. So anyone who had their best year two years ago, and then played just as well last year for a quarter of the season before hurting their wrist "would be a shell of their former self?"

Got it.

The original post, I think, is accurate. Our front 7 might not be great. We may not send multiple defenders to Hawaii. But it's easy to be more optimistic about this front seven than last year's. We went 4-4 down the stretch with last year's bandaged, talent-poor, out-of-position squad. Let's hope for better than .500 with this one.

So, you're whining about how we haven't improved this team, and at the same time ridiculing others for whining about how we never improve this team. That's impressive for one post.

Look, last year we were transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4. That's extremely difficult to do, even for teams loaded with talent. Compound that with the slew of injuries we had on D and it was a disaster. A year under our belt will make a difference, whether you admit it or not. The fact that we replaced Stroud with Dareus can't be stressed enough. If Merriman can stay on the field, he will be better than the revolving door we had last year at OLB. The only thing Poz has over Barnett is his youth and about $28M dollars. Barnett is far superior in coverage than Poz ever was (you own a Poz jersey I take it?) Bringing Wannestedt in as asst D coach is another plus. Whitner may very well be addition by subtraction.

Comparing our moves to the Eagles is silly as they are already a playoff team poised to take their shot at the title. And I seem to recall the IMPROVED Lions still losing to Bills last year.

All Belichek FA's haven't necessarily worked out... The LB they recruited in FA from Baltimore was let go last season...Gaffar Jaffney did nothing...The Patriots big success with FA has been Randy Moss and Corey Dillon...They did ay a reasonable price for Wes Welker...But then Welker is successful only because he has Tom Brady to throw the short and quick routes. I believe like most teams, they have had misses in FA than hits.

Patriots are still the class of the AFCE but anyone who thinks Haynesworth is going to just flip a switch and turn into a stud they're dreaming. Winners play like winners. Haynesworth had dogged azz for three seasons now. He probably forgot how to play football.

PTR

The way I see it, a lot of Haynesworth issues were with the coach, and they started almost from day one. He never had those issues in Tennessee...and for all BB's bluster, he is a players coach, I think...if BB handles Haynesworth a 300+ d-linemen the right way, I think Haynesworth might be the steal of the FA period...

No, it was 10 months ago. So anyone who had their best year two years ago, and then played just as well last year for a quarter of the season before hurting their wrist "would be a shell of their former self?"

Got it.

His logic is getting more twisted as the days go on. Impressive actually considering where he began.