• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bull. As if they can't control the topic. That's why radio stations have call screeners and "dump" buttons.

Exactly...

And they know exactly what they are doing...Especially Schopp...They know what they want to talk about and what THEY are in the mood to discuss...And it really matters not what is currently going on with The Bills...They are Hockey guys through and through...And during Hockey Season that's fine (to the extent that it still should not take from Football if The Bills are still playing) I guess...But the other day was really a disgrace...Waiting for Football this long, Camp opening up that day, and we get a few hours of Movie talk...It's really insane...I've written the Programming Director...I hope the rest of you who don't like this garbage do the same... B-)

It's funny that this thread at this moment - until I post now, is right next to the thread titled WGR says Merriman playing awesome (or something like that).......So, they did movie talk on a Friday afternoon. I wasn't listening then, but they did Bills talk all Wed and Thurs, I know that.

And, first day of camp - who cares - they aren't doing anything yet...But, when there was something of utmost interest to Bills fans - how Merriman is doing, it looks like they are the ones reporting it.

They actually, on multiple occasions, stated they were looking to take calls on training camp and talked about the Bills through 5 o'clock. Yet people kept calling with talk about the movies. They then stated they would take calls on both, and Schopp, on more than one occasion stated "no calls on football I guess we'll stick with movies." Guess you should have called in.

:worthy::thumbsup:

I happened to switch over to gr when a commercial came on while listening to NFL on Sirius sitting in traffic. I heard them saying something about movies and laughed to myself how stupid this is. Then a guy comes on the air and says something about where would you place Fitzpatrick overall compared to other qb's in the league and Schopp hangs up on him and says "ya we're not talking about that today. Maybe another day but today we are on this topic." I switched back to listen to the commercials on the NFL channel on Sirius.

What a disgrace gr is even by it's own lowly standards. It is opening day of camp and we're not talking football today? See ya.

I heard the same thing while driving home. I almost never listen to Am except for when I am driving and the Sabres are playing, but with the quick FA this year in the NFL and baseballs deadline coming up, I was occassionally tuning into some AM sports talk stations and heard this and laughed cause i figured someone here would be complaining about this.

Somone called in wanting to talk about the Bills, but they cut him off and said they weren't talking Bills, they were only taking calls about a "comedy movie Draft" they saw somewhere.

They should be AT CAMP broadcasting live from there.

Schopp actually said "I can't wait until the Bills get to 0-4 so we can talk about hockey." They are so dismissive of football that I've just stopped listening and started turning to Sirius NFL radio for some real football talk with people who know/care about football.

The grand irony is that without the Bills WGR would not survive.

BS - he was reading an email that said that. How could you have heard him say that if you don't listen to them?

Really what is there to say? The Bills have been completely uninteresting for years and they haven't done anything this year to change that. Training camp hasn't even started so all conversation at this point is speculative. Should they take calls from people suggesting the Bills sign this guy or that when it isn't going to happen? What's the point? If the Bills did something exciting or even interesting there would be an audience for that and they would talk about it. That's not the Bills though -- at least not this yet this year. How much time can you devote to the same old conversations about Ralph not wanting to spend money, or players not wanting to play in Buffalo, or any of the other relevant topics? Unless there is some miracle and everything happens to come together the Bills are going to be bad again next year. Really really bad. And it's a little early for the 2012 Draft.

Good point if they only talk about the Bills and the interesting stuff that goes around them over the past decade, the station would sound like a cemetary.

Bull. As if they can't control the topic. That's why radio stations have call screeners and "dump" buttons.

They can't make people call in. I have never been in radio, but I would guess along the lines of "The only bad publicity is no publicity" would fall "Calls about movies are better than no calls at all." The only way you can change media is by ignoring it and not listening/watching it, otherwise the more you B word or complain, or write about it in other media outlets, it just makes them more likely to stand pat with their current format.

I am begging anyone out there to help start a real sports radio station in Buffalo. It's the start of training camp, free agency is crazy, and it's the NFL, yet, the two afternoon hosts on GR are talking about movies? Movies???? Are you kidding me?? What a joke of a station! Shame on the callers who kept calling in to talk about it too.

I have Sirius radio and I can say for a fact that it is the best source of information out there. I have had it for about 7 years and the NFL network Channel 88 is the best. Go out and buy yourself a receiver (for under $50 now) pay the 7.99 a month. Sit back and enjoy. I know they cover the entire NFL but there are tons of Bills fans out there calling in.

Good point if they only talk about the Bills and the interesting stuff that goes around them over the past decade, the station would sound like a cemetary.

They can't make people call in. I have never been in radio, but I would guess along the lines of "The only bad publicity is no publicity" would fall "Calls about movies are better than no calls at all." The only way you can change media is by ignoring it and not listening/watching it, otherwise the more you B word or complain, or write about it in other media outlets, it just makes them more likely to stand pat with their current format.

It's the host's job to engage their listeners to the extent that they're motivated to share their opinions and call the show. If nobody is calling about football/The Bills*, the hosts aren't being provocative enough. So they're either biased or incompetent - take your pick.

*BTW - if Bills talk starts getting overly redundant (again, the hosts job to steer the dialogue), there's still 31 other NFL teams and college ball converstaion that could easily fill hours of air time. It's the time of year when football fanatics start geting restless and all geared up for the sights, sounds, and smells of football. We want to talk football now! As far as hockey goes, didn't the season just end like 2 weeks ago?

I have no interest in sports radio. I can streamline my time committment right here at TSW and other internet sites that cater only to the items I actually care about. I know if I go to NFL.com, I know 100% for sure I won't see the latest Roger Ebert musings. If I'm in the car, I'd rather hear silence that the nitwit talking heads at GR.

Talking about movies only shows their ignorance and disinterest regarding the vast world of sports as well as their affinity for the glamour side of entertainment. Movies = gay. Can't imagine being so ingterested in movies that I'd call a radio show. Right up there with the Dungeons and Dragsons geeks. Not that there's anything wrong with talking movies, but then they should not characterize the radio station as a Sports Radio station. Tell it like it is. Come of the closet for crying out loud.

Edited by DML2005

I've never listened to Buffalo radio, but can't imagine how a city with only two pro teams (and no big time colleges) could keep sports radio interesting all day. Hell, sports radio gets repetitive and boring in New York where they have 9 pro teams.

Actually listed to Joe B. broadcasting last night from a dorm room at training camp and my god was that the most rational good radio I have heard in a very long time. Him and Dan Fisher are the only reasons I listen to the shows. Both of them are not at all good broadcasters but they are much better than the main hosts.

I've never listened to Buffalo radio, but can't imagine how a city with only two pro teams (and no big time colleges) could keep sports radio interesting all day. Hell, sports radio gets repetitive and boring in New York where they have 9 pro teams.

How about talking about the NCAA BBall tourney in March. For christ sakes 2 years ago we hosted the 1st weekend & schopp & the bulldog were making fun of the tournament that week it started. I mean that is one of the biggest sporting events of the year & they are going to make fun of it & openly brag they have not watched a college basketball game in years????? Yeah go talk about whether Gaustad should be on the 3rd or 4th line instead of March Madness. That is really f*cking interesting.

My wife has sirus in her car & I listen to NYC sports talk radio once in awhile & believe it blows WGR right out of the water. It is not even close.

Edited by Gordio

Sports radio is not interesting if you you talk about sports all day. Who gives an eff what Joe from Cheektowaga thinks is better - the 3/4 or the 4/3?

How much friggin football news do you people want. These days, you can get it ad nauseum on the Net, your phone - just listen to sports talk all around the country with pocket tunes, including espn, fox, and SNR.

Sports radio is not interesting if you you talk about sports all day. Who gives an eff what Joe from Cheektowaga thinks is better - the 3/4 or the 4/3?

How much friggin football news do you people want. These days, you can get it ad nauseum on the Net, your phone - just listen to sports talk all around the country with pocket tunes, including espn, fox, and SNR.

Either you just don't get the point, or you work at WGR? Maybe a relative works there? What is it?

It's Local Sports Talk...That's EXACTLY what listeners expect from Local Sports Talk...How much Football Talk do we want? You're on a Bills message board asking that question?... :w00t:

I've listened to plenty of Local Sports Talk in Cities that don't have close to the rabid Fan base The Bills have, and there is really no comparison to what they do at WGR in the afternoon...And every Station tries to entertain with off-topic nonsense as well...They just do it sparingly...And when it's humorous that's great...In moderation...But it should not be asking for too much to expect your Hosts to be dead serious about talking Local Sports...ESPECIALLY when there is the King of Kings, an NFL Team, in Town...It should be a layup...And it's not on WGR any given afternoon...I know the play of the Team over the past decade has made it harder for them...I get that...But if it's that hard maybe they should take Football Season off...I'm certain someone willing is standing by ready to talk Bills Football ad nauseam... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Either you just don't get the point, or you work at WGR? Maybe a relative works there? What is it?

It's Local Sports Talk...That's EXACTLY what listeners expect from Local Sports Talk...How much Football Talk do we want? You're on a Bills message board asking that question?... :w00t:

I've listened to plenty of Local Sports Talk in Cities that don't have close to the rabid Fan base The Bills have, and there is really no comparison to what they do at WGR in the afternoon...And every Station tries to entertain with off-topic nonsense as well...They just do it sparingly...And when it's humorous that's great...In moderation...But it should not be asking for too much to expect your Hosts to be dead serious about talking Local Sports...ESPECIALLY when there is the King of Kings, an NFL Team, in Town...It should be a layup...And it's not on WGR any given afternoon...I know the play of the Team over the past decade has made it harder for them...I get that...But if it's that hard maybe they should take Football Season off...I'm certain someone willing is standing by ready to talk Bills Football ad nauseam... B-)

I agree with BBB 100%!!! I don't work there, I know no one who does, but I DO NOT WANT to hear idiots calling in all day to give their opinion of what defense we should run.... ESPECIALLY IN AUGUST! :wallbash:

Their job it to keep people tuned in and if they talk sports half the time and other stuff half the time I'll listen for both. I will turn off the radio after 10 minutes if I hear 5 people call in all offering their stupid opinions about some defensive scheme. I want to be entertained. If I want to hear stupid opinions all day, I'll stay here at TBD :flirt:

Somone called in wanting to talk about the Bills, but they cut him off and said they weren't talking Bills, they were only taking calls about a "comedy movie Draft" they saw somewhere.

Thought I'd correct this, they had a Bills topic going as well as light chatter about movies. The guy called in with a completely different Bills topic and yes, they did cut him off from talking about Fitzpatrick or something like that on the basis that they had a different Bills topic going on. They didn't cut him off because they were "only taking calls about comedy movie draft."

Can't wait for the draft this Friday. :)

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I agree with BBB 100%!!! I don't work there, I know no one who does, but I DO NOT WANT to hear idiots calling in all day to give their opinion of what defense we should run.... ESPECIALLY IN AUGUST! :wallbash:

Their job it to keep people tuned in and if they talk sports half the time and other stuff half the time I'll listen for both. I will turn off the radio after 10 minutes if I hear 5 people call in all offering their stupid opinions about some defensive scheme. I want to be entertained. If I want to hear stupid opinions all day, I'll stay here at TBD :flirt:

You're actually furthering the point some of us are trying to make...In away at least...

No one wants to hear ignorant callers looking for their 15 seconds of fame talking out of their butts about The Bills...What we do want is Sports Talk Radio Hosts who honestly care and prepare to talk about the Home Team...Lining up Guests and experts to talk about the Home Team...

This whole thing about being entertained while listening to Sports Talk Radio is fine...But truthfully it usually pertains to the AM shows more than the afternoon shows...Usually the afternoon shows are more hardcore Sports Talk...At least from what I've heard in other Markets...To me these afternoon guys are goof off 1st...Sports Talk second...And you're not the only one who is tuning out after a few minutes believe me...It's just for different reasons that's all...And I actaully hate that I'm obviously coming off as a stick-in-the-mud because that's actually the opposite of who I am normally...But I just think the Afternoon Show on WGR is greatly lacking on most days...Especially concerning Bills Talk...That's all... B-)

Actually, now that you say that, that is actually how I read the threads on here. Say we sign Barnett. I read the first page maybe of posts, get the idea and I've had enough. I don't need to hear everybody's opinion..........On the radio, if it's going to be all about the Bills, I'll tune in and listen to the hosts' opinions, and then maybe a caller or two and then I've had enough.

I do agree with stick in the mud KO that it would be much more listenable if you had say a segment with Tim Graham, and then one with John Clayton, etc.

I do agree with stick in the mud KO that it would be much more listenable if you had say a segment with Tim Graham, and then one with John Clayton, etc.

This I completely agree with! I would love more national and even local guests. They have them, but odds are most folks don't listen to a full 4 hour radio show. They hear 15-30 minutes. The rest of the show could have been great guests, deep football analysis and on the field reporting, but if you happen to tune in AFTER all of that and catch the hosts getting annoyed with someone calling in to say that should have kept Trent, your attitude of the show is skewed.

GR is not a very good station by any stretch. As like many of you drear posters, this is the time I tune in with more regularity just to get a sense of what's happening with the Bills. I tuned in on Monday and listened to Bulldog try to tie together the Barnett signing w/ the revitalization of the Waterfront. As much as I dislike Schoop, I'm even more amazed that Bulldog is still on the radio after all these years. He's totally regressed as a broadcaster. He's deviod of any original perspective and sounds like a complete fool w/ his stammering and half-sentences.

He reminds me on that idiot at work that keeps getting promoted while everyone else just shakes their heads and wonders "why"?

I guess some people make a deal w/ the Devil.

Here is my main problem with Schoop. A decade ago while on WNSA, as direct competition to Coach and the Bulldog, Schoop would rail against "the idiots that just yell at listeners on 'the other' sports station. NSA goes bankrupt, and wgr re-organizes and brings in the likes of Schoop and Simon. At the time Schoop was much more tolerable than Simon, whom I considered a clown. Boy has that changed.

Is there something about WGR that makes people delta bravos, or is it just the angst of life in the rust belt wearing Schoop down? I also remember him serving as a substitute host on ESPN radio back 5-6 years ago and he sounded....amateurish. Maybe this is where it began to go down hill for him? He was a hot up and comer a dozen years ago, maybe the realization that his talent is limited has sunk him in to a permanent depression. Either way, he sucks.

As for Bulldog...by appearance only, in real life radio he is a push over, no opinion, no bite. i will call him Tea cup poodle dog from here on out!

Edited by RichmondRob

Here is my main problem with Schoop. A decade ago while on WNSA, as direct competition to Coach and the Bulldog, Schoop would rail against "the idiots that just yell at listeners on 'the other' sports station. NSA goes bankrupt, and wgr re-organizes and brings in the likes of Schoop and Simon. At the time Schoop was much more tolerable than Simon, whom I considered a clown. Boy has that changed.

Is there something about WGR that makes people delta bravos, or is it just the angst of life in the rust belt wearing Schoop down? I also remember him serving as a substitute host on ESPN radio back 5-6 years ago and he sounded....amateurish. Maybe this is where it began to go down hill for him? He was a hot up and comer a dozen years ago, maybe the realization that his talent is limited has sunk him in to a permanent depression. Either way, he sucks.

As for Bulldog...by appearance only, in real life radio he is a push over, no opinion, no bite. i will call him Tea cup poodle dog from here on out!

Think you have figured our Schoop. If I was his father, I'd tell him to grow a pair. God help us, however, because now he's a "father". which apparently - to him - worth wasting listeners' time about.

Think you have figured our Schoop. If I was his father, I'd tell him to grow a pair. God help us, however, because now he's a "father". which apparently - to him - worth wasting listeners' time about.

Why put it in quotes?

Also WGR is doing a show right now all about training camp and the Bills. But I guess that doesn't count.

If you can, try 1280am WHTK in Rochester 3-6pm. John DiTullio talks sports/Bills just about all the time.

The one thing DiTullio lacks is Sabres talk, but he does talk Bills alot.

Other than the Sabres talk, which I like alot, Schlepp and Bullfart are just unlistenable anymore.

ZZ Top vs Kenny Rogers, really! I mean so they don't want to talks Bills, ok, I'll give them that, that Bills talk everyday can get redundant. But their is a ton of other sports in this world that could be talked about instead of ZZ Top vs Kenny Rogers, or food draft, or movie draft, or what ever draft. C'mon WGR replace these guys already!

I tuned in to WGR for the ride home last night. They talked Bills, mentioned the Vegas line for W-L this season and took a few phone calls. This much is certain, the regular callers on GR are the dumbest, drunkest and least informed football fans in the Western New York region. I turned it off after two callers predicted 11 wins on the basis that predicting any less isn't being a true fan. Incredible insight. They need better screening techniques, maybe a few questions covering the sciences, history, math, current events, get those right and then you get to offer an opinion on the air.

I tuned in to WGR for the ride home last night. They talked Bills, mentioned the Vegas line for W-L this season and took a few phone calls. This much is certain, the regular callers on GR are the dumbest, drunkest and least informed football fans in the Western New York region. I turned it off after two callers predicted 11 wins on the basis that predicting any less isn't being a true fan. Incredible insight. They need better screening techniques, maybe a few questions covering the sciences, history, math, current events, get those right and then you get to offer an opinion on the air.

+1 and a big :thumbsup:

You think having a sandwich draft & debating for over a 1/2 hour whether a hot dog should be considered a sandwich is entertaining??????

The training camp show for two hours in the evening is not bad(I'm back to WGR as I have given up on Sirius radio).

Schoop is never going to change. He is never going to be the guy who gets in-depth with any sports topic. It is always high level, easy topics that he has to do no preparation for. For instance, what is more likely, the Bills winning 2 games or 9 games(that was a topic this week for at least an hour or more).

If you called in to discuss a players ability or team strategies, he would be lost.

Edited by LabattBlue

You think having a sandwich draft & debating for over a 1/2 hour whether a hot dog should be considered a sandwich is entertaining??????

There are a couple of key problems with Schlep and Bull (And, I got to witness them all on a recent trip to Buffalo); I can't criticize the rest of the line-up because I haven't heard it and it's great that there is a daily show about camp as noted elsewhere in this link. But, a SPORTS TALK station should be talking SPORTS in the afternoon drive time; that means lining up interviews and providing information for people on the way home from work. Not necessarily being caller driven but being filled with sports information that you can't get anywhere else (As much as I didn't like 'THE COACH,' he always had interviews and information plus his unique opinion.).

#1 - They have no idea what they are talking about. They do not follow sports nor do they apparently do any research before their show. Just listen to BULL as he tries to bluff his way around question (heck, with the internet he could find answers at the touch of a button but instead he likes his BULL). The day I listened they had a live interview with Ryan Miller so I thought maybe this being the HOCKEY STATION that a serious interview would be conducted but BULL was surprised when Miller told him something that had been in the papers for the week before. They apparently do not follow sports when they go on vacation.

#2 - They are caught in a time warp of the 1980s ... just listen to the lists; the Kenny Rogers-ZZ Top thing mentioned earlier (And,I am a baby boomer but I don't live in the past.).

#3 - The list thing ... are they trying to be Letterman? If they aren't going to talk sports then they need to find some guests on their other topics. I was on radio for 25 years hosting a talk show that hit on lots of topics and I can tell you there are so many authors/experts available who want air time that you can bring a mix of your own knowledge with experts to provide listeners with a quality show (Out of town sports writers love to talk; I had them on my show all the time even though it wasn't a 'sports' talk' format.)

Sadly, they are the only game in town unless you go Sirius/XM, which is what I did ....