Sunday NFL Ticket

Ok, I had a few minutes to kill so I called back. No threats or anything like that; just asked what they could do given my long-standing account history. At first all I was offered was a $10/mo. credit for 12 months ($120) but when I kept pushing she "found" another $10/mo. credit for 24 months. So, over the course of the next two years I'll get a $360 credit. Guess I can't complain.

i got normal programming folks and best they would do is 20$ for 6 months. I guess I need to try the retention route

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In DIRECTV's defense, the legal mentioned it would apply to the 2012 season if there were no season in 2011.

BTW, I called today, and the best I was given was a $60 bill credit. And yes, that was with retention. I've only had DIRECTV for about a year now, though.

did you mention that you heard of friends getting $150 credits? i have not called. but when you mention other "hidden" deals. most of the times they get "found"

just have to ask.

did you mention that you heard of friends getting $150 credits? i have not called. but when you mention other "hidden" deals. most of the times they get "found"

just have to ask.

I mentioned I heard about $179, but I forgot to re-check this thread before I called...forgot that $150 credit is the magic word...doh!

Will call again later this week.

My questions is geared towards those who have Sunday Ticket to Go without the full Sunday Ticket. Sticktly the online package. My guess is there's little incentive for them to discount it

Yes, got that thrown in for free on top of the $150 credit. Also free Starz and $5 off HBO for 6 months.

Got $20 off per month for 6 months, $5 off HBO for 6 months, Starz for 90 days and 2 years free HD programming fee for signing up for auto pay. If you have been with DirecTV for a while and are polite they will work with you.

Called and told them I was going to cancel. Gave me the 6 month $25 dollar credit. Then said, "because you have the premium package you will receive an extra $10 off for 6 month and get NFL To Go for free." So basically I received a $210 credit and a free $50 NFL to Go. Took 5 mins on the phone to do this. No haggling needed. Just asked for their best offer because I can't afford to spend that much on a luxury item.

Called and told them I was going to cancel. Gave me the 6 month $25 dollar credit. Then said, "because you have the premium package you will receive an extra $10 off for 6 month and get NFL To Go for free." So basically I received a $210 credit and a free $50 NFL to Go. Took 5 mins on the phone to do this. No haggling needed. Just asked for their best offer because I can't afford to spend that much on a luxury item.

I went the same route as you. Just called to cancel and I was immediately transferred to retention (although it wasn't called that), didn't have to ask for it. At first they wouldn't budge at all other then $10 of my YEARLY bill. Told them that won't fly and that is the best she could do. Told her she has been fantastic to crunching the numbers etc. I was very nice and called her by name several times, and then asked if I could speak to a manager.

Several minutes on hold.....

Kim comes back and I get $240 in credits and free NFL to go on the Droid.

Be nice, ask for a manager/supervisor and essentially get NFL package for $80.

Thanks everyone for the heads up on this.

I went the same route as you. Just called to cancel and I was immediately transferred to retention (although it wasn't called that), didn't have to ask for it. At first they wouldn't budge at all other then $10 of my YEARLY bill. Told them that won't fly and that is the best she could do. Told her she has been fantastic to crunching the numbers etc. I was very nice and called her by name several times, and then asked if I could speak to a manager.

Several minutes on hold.....

Kim comes back and I get $240 in credits and free NFL to go on the Droid.

Be nice, ask for a manager/supervisor and essentially get NFL package for $80.

Thanks everyone for the heads up on this.

Nice, you did better than I did. Forgot to ask about NFL To Go!!

Well, I finally called Directv to threaten to cancel / negotiate a better deal.

Being a customer for 13 years or so helps. I end up paying about $168 for the season, with free to-go and the web broadcasts as well.

Not to bad. Did not have to haggle too much.

At $324, I was prepared to give up the Ticket. Thankfully, I don't have to.

I just called and said how I heard the price was going up and didn't know if I could afford it, but really wanted to keep the subscription. At first all they were going to give me was $20 a month off the subscription for the 6 months, but I asked if there was anything else they could do. She then gave me an extra $10 a month for 6 months off my normal monthly rate, plus NFL Ticket to Go for free. So $180 wasn't too shabby, plus the additional $60 for the To Go package.

Called today and said 'cancel' at the prompt, got a rep and gave the 'it's not fair you're giving free ticket to new customers and not to loyal customers' speech. She tried to make me happy with a $15 off a month for 12 months. Said still not happy. She said 'oh, looks like you are also eligible for a $12 off a month for 12 months credit too'. Said nope, not fair new customers get the ticket and I don't, what do I have to do to cancel. She told me I drove a hard bargain, but her manager said for loyal customers, like myself, she could go ahead and give me the Sunday Ticket for free. I said you'll also be giving me the previously mentioned credits too, right? She said yep.

Free Sunday Ticket.

$27 off the bill for the next 12 months.

:beer:

Just got 120 and the ST for free......was offering 210 off and I was like ....why do they give the ST for free to people who sign up blah blah

and he was like......hm let me see.....and he said how about 120 0ff and the ST instead....so I was just sounds good.

20x 6

ST Instead of 35 x 6.

Told me to call back after my discounts ran out to see what they could do for me.....spoke to a friendly guy for a long time about football and being a dad!

Had nothing else to do while driving home from work yesterday, so I called DTV back again and went the "cancel" route at the prompts (keep in mind I had already called last week and was given $360 in bill credits over the next 24 mos).

The gentleman I spoke with wound up giving me the reduced rate of $210 for the Ticket + To-Go ($150 off).

So, to recap, in two calls I managed to obtain $510 in savings over the next two years. That's why I stick with DTV.

The bottom line is to be persistent, patient, and pleasant. Call it the "three Ps" of dealing with DTV.

Called today and said 'cancel' at the prompt, got a rep and gave the 'it's not fair you're giving free ticket to new customers and not to loyal customers' speech. She tried to make me happy with a $15 off a month for 12 months. Said still not happy. She said 'oh, looks like you are also eligible for a $12 off a month for 12 months credit too'. Said nope, not fair new customers get the ticket and I don't, what do I have to do to cancel. She told me I drove a hard bargain, but her manager said for loyal customers, like myself, she could go ahead and give me the Sunday Ticket for free. I said you'll also be giving me the previously mentioned credits too, right? She said yep.

Free Sunday Ticket.

$27 off the bill for the next 12 months.

:beer:

That's highway robbery.

Just contacted DirecTV and the first call when I questioned the price increase and nothing new in the package I was offered a $10 a month discount if I agreed to 6 months of payments starting today. I replied that I needed to think about it and get back to them. I was informed that the discount might not be there the next time I called. I said that if not, I might not re-subscribe to the service. I said I would call back later. I called back 10 minutes later and asked for Customer Retention as menitioned in earlier posts. I asked about the increase this year and nothing in return as far as services and now it was being given as a free promotion to new subscribers. I said I didn't like that but what could they do for me in a way of a discount. She took a couple minutes and said that I was a preferred customer and I could have the Sunday Ticket this year for free all I had to say was I wanted it. I was looking for a discount and got more. Figure that......

I originally got a $150 credit and 6 months with $20 off. After reading some posts I felt like I should be getting it for free so I called back.

Now I got it for free and get to keep the above credits. They are also replacing a standard dvr with an hddvr for free, giving me 2 hddvrs, a standard dvr and an HD receiver that connects with the hddvr.

I called and got something like a $150 discount last year. At that time, I had already fulfilled my two-year contract. Then I moved in November and I canceled DTV all together. Today I resigned another two year contract, and got the sunday ticket for free as advertised. Installation is scheduled for this Friday. :thumbsup:

What I am wondering is, whether or not the fact that you have already fulfilled your contract plays a role in these negotiations? If you cannot cancel, without incurring early cancellation fees, it seems that you really dont have much leverage.

Of you guys who received a substantial discount this year, how many of you are still under the contract, and those of you who did not receive the discount, what is your contract status?

Just contacted DirecTV and the first call when I questioned the price increase and nothing new in the package I was offered a $10 a month discount if I agreed to 6 months of payments starting today. I replied that I needed to think about it and get back to them. I was informed that the discount might not be there the next time I called. I said that if not, I might not re-subscribe to the service. I said I would call back later. I called back 10 minutes later and asked for Customer Retention as menitioned in earlier posts. I asked about the increase this year and nothing in return as far as services and now it was being given as a free promotion to new subscribers. I said I didn't like that but what could they do for me in a way of a discount. She took a couple minutes and said that I was a preferred customer and I could have the Sunday Ticket this year for free all I had to say was I wanted it. I was looking for a discount and got more. Figure that......

amazing how so many folks have found ways to get it for free its all csr roulette

Thanks for the reminder! Called in, and they at first low balled me, but I haggled and ultimately ended up with the $150 credit, bringing the Sunday Ticket cost to $173.94, plus he threw in Sunday Ticket to Go (SuperFan) for free for my Ipad! Glad to have my annual call to DirecTV over with :rolleyes:

I gotta do that, I called last week and got the cost for the year.

I called and got something like a $150 discount last year. At that time, I had already fulfilled my two-year contract. Then I moved in November and I canceled DTV all together. Today I resigned another two year contract, and got the sunday ticket for free as advertised. Installation is scheduled for this Friday. :thumbsup:

What I am wondering is, whether or not the fact that you have already fulfilled your contract plays a role in these negotiations? If you cannot cancel, without incurring early cancellation fees, it seems that you really dont have much leverage.

Of you guys who received a substantial discount this year, how many of you are still under the contract, and those of you who did not receive the discount, what is your contract status?

Excellent question SIASL...

Because of an HD DVR receiver we got in Jan 2010 (hell, we're leasing it for crying out loud!), we're still "under contract" through February 2012. Don't think it mattered at all as far as negotiations were concerned. First rep offered the usual $20 off for 6 months. Ha! Wanna try again sister? Next tried to offer consolation prize of NFL To Go. So, let me get this straight...I'm paying for HD DVRs and I've got a couple of nice large flat screen HD TVs, but I'm gonna watch games on my friggin phone? That aint gonna happen. Try again...

Finally got someone who was receptive to some smooth talking and voila! - Free Sunday ticket, plus some HD movie package I'll never watch, and $30 per month off through January, and no additional obligation. Don't care about any movie packages since I've pretty much seen every movie I ever want to watch (I'm finished with "stories"), so I was happy to have $30 off of my $102 bill and free comfort-of-my-own-mancave Buffalo Bills/NFL in high def and surround. Bring on the season!

Edited by DML2005

Got an interesting email from a marketing company working with Direct TV. Bottom line is they were wondering if I would sign up for the NFL package if the price is around $150. Told them definitely. Will see if this leads to an special before the season begins.

Excellent question SIASL...

Because of an HD DVR receiver we got in Jan 2010 (hell, we're leasing it for crying out loud!), we're still "under contract" through February 2012. Don't think it mattered at all as far as negotiations were concerned. First rep offered the usual $20 off for 6 months. Ha! Wanna try again sister? Next tried to offer consolation prize of NFL To Go. So, let me get this straight...I'm paying for HD DVRs and I've got a couple of nice large flat screen HD TVs, but I'm gonna watch games on my friggin phone? That aint gonna happen. Try again...

Finally got someone who was receptive to some smooth talking and voila! - Free Sunday ticket, plus some HD movie package I'll never watch, and $30 per month off through January, and no additional obligation. Don't care about any movie packages since I've pretty much seen every movie I ever want to watch (I'm finished with "stories"), so I was happy to have $30 off of my $102 bill and free comfort-of-my-own-mancave Buffalo Bills/NFL in high def and surround. Bring on the season!

i just called and those thieving bastards told me they had two promotions running;

1. Free Sunday Ticket with an autographed Aaron Maybin draft photo;

2. The ticket at $525 with a free copy of the Rex Ryan Foot fetish video.

I'll tell you, I'm really conflicted.

Dumb question, but is there any way to get DTV/Sunday Ticket, then cancel after the season without paying massive charges? In other words...can you get the service without a contract? I'd be willing to pay a decent price, split with my roommate, to get the games in good quality instead of gambling with the 'net every weekend. But I can't justify an entire year (or two) of satellite just for Bills games. Am I out of luck?

I originally got a $150 credit and 6 months with $20 off. After reading some posts I felt like I should be getting it for free so I called back.

Now I got it for free and get to keep the above credits. They are also replacing a standard dvr with an hddvr for free, giving me 2 hddvrs, a standard dvr and an HD receiver that connects with the hddvr.

you know they just locked you in for 2yrs right?

Any time you get equipment upgrades (not replacements) you are reuping from that date.

you know they just locked you in for 2yrs right?

Any time you get equipment upgrades (not replacements) you are reuping from that date.

Yes I am absolutely fine with that. I lock in for 2 years by getting something free every six months or so. I have had Directv for over 5 years and have never had a problem. I would never go to Time Warner. I can't stand their customer service alone.

I just mentioned the receiver at the end but I got this discounts before we talked about reuping for getting the receiver or anything. Thought it might help a few people out.

Edited by cmjoyce113

Dumb question, but is there any way to get DTV/Sunday Ticket, then cancel after the season without paying massive charges? In other words...can you get the service without a contract? I'd be willing to pay a decent price, split with my roommate, to get the games in good quality instead of gambling with the 'net every weekend. But I can't justify an entire year (or two) of satellite just for Bills games. Am I out of luck?

I am keeping DTV only for the Sunday ticket. They allow 'account suspension' for up to 6 months at a time but only like once a year or something. So you can save some coin. Mind you, i dont think this is a firm rule so I have gotten varying offers once I got the suspension for 8 months and twice for 6 months.

I am keeping DTV only for the Sunday ticket. They allow 'account suspension' for up to 6 months at a time but only like once a year or something. So you can save some coin. Mind you, i dont think this is a firm rule so I have gotten varying offers once I got the suspension for 8 months and twice for 6 months.

Just got $25 off for 6 months and free Sunday Ticket to go for my Ipad. Probably could have pressed him for more of a discount but I was satisfied with paying $160 instead $318. If you pay full price for Sunday Ticket you are getting screwed. :thumbsup: