Torell Troup's Progress

I have read that Troup's been working hard on his core and that he weighs 326. Has anyone else heard how the coaching staff feels about him going into this year? Anyone else have any info on how he might progress in his second year or some good stats from the second half of the year? I read a piece about his game against JAX and I found it kind of alarming that he was getting pushed around so much, especially for a guy that is built to be a NT. Aren't these the guys supposed to be pushing OTHER guys around?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/24/2186513/torell-troup-film-analysis-buffalo-bills

If anyone has studied him I'd love to hear more about him.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's important to end this post noting that we're talking about one game very early in Troup's rookie season. It would be a mistake for anyone to base your opinion on Troup on this post or his performance in this game, because it does not take into account his entire body of work by any stretch. This is just something I noticed in this game. If by the time we get to re-watching Week 16 and the same thing is happening, then you can probably voice stronger concern. Troup will improve."

Just keep this in mind up until last season when Suh and to a lesser extent Gerald McCoy broke out, DT was one of the positions that had the least impact in their rookie years. A lot of DT's don't come in right away and be that 2-3 down run stuffer (Especially at DT in a 4-3 and NT in a 3-4).

Troup's lack of impact in his rookie year isn't a sign that he will be a bad player and bust. If he works hard to add some weight and strength in his second season he could still turn out to be a solid player. A lot of good players (Especially on the D-line and even more so at the DT/NT position)have lackluster first season and turn it on in their 2nd or 3rd year in the league.

No reason to even look into this. Troup will be evaluated over 3 years.

You don't draft a guy for his 1st contract, you draft him for his 2nd contract. That really should be how drafts are graded, how many players get 2nd contracts.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

You don't draft a guy for his 1st contract, you draft him for his 2nd contract. That really should be how drafts are graded, how many players get 2nd contracts.

Gosh, if this is the case we are doomed!!

???

Guess we are still reserving judgement on Maybin?

Troup and Carrington are a huge factor in terms of how this team will progress. Add Dareus to the mix and the Bills have invested a huge amount to their defensive front. If these guys can play, they will be able to do what Seattle did.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/seahawks.html

In the last 2 years, Seattle selected 2 first round OTs and a second round Guard. They had horrid rushing stats and they took decisive action to get stronger up front. The Bills need to make a similar move and if they do, they have a chance to be a tough football team on both sides of the line.

When and if this takes place, the Bills will win football games. Of this I am sure.

A lot of optimists here defending troupe. The fact of the matter is he looked awful last year (the main reason why he stopped getting playing time). I hope as much as anyone that Troupe magically turns things around (yes, I know he was just a rookie). Let's not forget that the Bills drafted him WAY too early. I remember watching ESPN and watching the announcers scramble through their papers trying to figure out who he was (after all, he played for UCF). This was a guy that probably could have been had in the 4th round or later.

If they had drafted him then, there wouldn't be these expectations of an "instant starter". But when you draft a guy with what is almost a 1st round draft pick (41st overall), a starter is what you should have.

So far McCargo has shown a lot more than Troupe unfortunately...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Wow, thankfully you aren't our GM. So when we sign our 1st and 2nd round picks to 4-6 year contracts we don't expect them to do anything during that time? That's half their career.

Pardon me if I don't buy into that philosophy, lol.

There are plenty of players, especially in the 1st two rounds that secure starting spots and play extremely well...Just because the Bills haven't drafted any doesn't mean thats how it should be...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I have read that Troup's been working hard on his core and that he weighs 326. Has anyone else heard how the coaching staff feels about him going into this year? Anyone else have any info on how he might progress in his second year or some good stats from the second half of the year? I read a piece about his game against JAX and I found it kind of alarming that he was getting pushed around so much, especially for a guy that is built to be a NT. Aren't these the guys supposed to be pushing OTHER guys around?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/24/2186513/torell-troup-film-analysis-buffalo-bills

If anyone has studied him I'd love to hear more about him.

The guy IMHO is not built for NT hence the drafting of our 7th round pick Jasper the guy was 440 lbs in college & the Bills scout got him focused on his diet now he's down to a slim 370 lbs & from what i've read has legs like tree trunks .

This is our NT of the future i just hope they invest more time in him at the postion than Troupe , nothing against the guy maybe a good depth player for D or ST but this kid is the real deal at NT .

Do some research & find out more about him you'll be very surprised & pleased that he was drafted by the Bills !!!!

I read that article the day it was posted and was wondering when someone would comment on it here. Actually, it was a well thought out piece and pretty accurate when discussing Troupe's poor technique. While it is way too soon to be alarmed, there is still some reason for concern. That game was early in the season and Troupe was obviously not strong enough to hold up. In later games, he got better with technique by getting lower. Still, he was no Kyle Williams when it came to technique and pure power. With big guys like Troupe, Williams and Heard all ready on the team it is notable that a guy like Jasper was chosen in the draft. Again, I do not think alarmed is quite the right word but it is certainly something to be concerned about. Being pushed back so running backs can find a gap right up the middle is not something that you can ignore.

I read that article the day it was posted and was wondering when someone would comment on it here. Actually, it was a well thought out piece and pretty accurate when discussing Troupe's poor technique. While it is way too soon to be alarmed, there is still some reason for concern. That game was early in the season and Troupe was obviously not strong enough to hold up. In later games, he got better with technique by getting lower. Still, he was no Kyle Williams when it came to technique and pure power. With big guys like Troupe, Williams and Heard all ready on the team it is notable that a guy like Jasper was chosen in the draft. Again, I do not think alarmed is quite the right word but it is certainly something to be concerned about. Being pushed back so running backs can find a gap right up the middle is not something that you can ignore.

What concerns me is that we have one really good guy, but he's not big enough (KW, shouldn't be a NT in my opinion). Then we have some really big guys, but they aren't good enough. It bothers me that we passed on all sorts of good NT's (Raji, Ngata,...) in recent drafts, then picked up these "projects" that are long shots to ever be real performers.

On the plus side, I think Nix does have a clue, and showed that in this years draft...At least we have Dareus...

I also like the fact that the Bills finally dumped Modrak and tried to improve their scouting (about 10 years too late, but hey, better than never)

Edited by Turbosrrgood

???

Guess we are still reserving judgement on Maybin?

Wow, thankfully you aren't our GM. So when we sign our 1st and 2nd round picks to 4-6 year contracts we don't expect them to do anything during that time? That's half their career.

Pardon me if I don't buy into that philosophy, lol.

There are plenty of players, especially in the 1st two rounds that secure starting spots and play extremely well...Just because the Bills haven't drafted any doesn't mean thats how it should be...

Please tell me that you are both just kidding here. You really can't get the concept of what TTH is saying?

Maybin isn't going to get a second contract barring a miracle therefore he is/was a busted pick.

That's the point. Make solid picks and walla your team improves and you do your darndest to sign those players to their second contract.

It's really not that difficult a concept.

The guy IMHO is not built for NT hence the drafting of our 7th round pick Jasper the guy was 440 lbs in college & the Bills scout got him focused on his diet now he's down to a slim 370 lbs & from what i've read has legs like tree trunks .

This is our NT of the future i just hope they invest more time in him at the postion than Troupe , nothing against the guy maybe a good depth player for D or ST but this kid is the real deal at NT .

Do some research & find out more about him you'll be very surprised & pleased that he was drafted by the Bills !!!!

He's the real deal....based on what? That he played OG last year, and got owned by scrubs? I'm optimistic that he will eventually become a contributor, possibly even a star. I've done research. Nothing to show me that he's going to be the real deal. He has potential....that's all.

Please tell me that you are both just kidding here. You really can't get the concept of what TTH is saying?

Maybin isn't going to get a second contract barring a miracle therefore he is/was a busted pick.

That's the point. Make solid picks and walla your team improves and you do your darndest to sign those players to their second contract.

It's really not that difficult a concept.

No it's not, but by acknowledging Maybin will not get another contract, you are agreeing that we don;t need to wait 3 years to judge him (or others like him) as a bust. That was my point.