Torell Troup's Progress

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troup is probably 1 million steps in front of Jasper. I dont understand these threads.

Am I wrong or did Jasper play OG at a D3 school? And people are saying he will beat out our 2nd round pick at NT?

And for the size queens, remember Troup is 330lbs and benches 550lbs

Agreed......hate the offseason for threads like this.....

If it was all about what players weigh the most then Kyle Williams would not be so highly regarded....there is also this thing called TALENT

Im not saying Jasper doesn't have it...and how can you not root for the guy BUT....the fact is he nearly went undrafted.....went to a very small school that didn't play anybody......and nobody even knew who he was before he was drafted.

Troupe has the size at 325 AND THE MOBILITY to easily be able to project as a top DT in the NFL should he fix some technique issues....because he is VERY talented and I read a draft projection that he would have went pretty high in this draft as well.

Jasper is an athletic freak who has the "want it" factor but we dont even know if he can play football yet.

There are no guarantees, but when you've got a raw talent with that combination of athletic ability, strength, and size, it's definitely intriguing. If he can be coached up who's to say he couldn't become a dominant force. Sure he could wash out...or he could become the next Ted Washington.

This is exactly the issue ... The kid has a long uphill climb to make the roster and to see the field. It's not only about the numbers.

I'm pretty sure Jasper understands, as well as anyone does, the challenges facing him to earn a spot on the Bills' roster...

With nine picks left in the 2011 NFL Draft, Jasper didn’t recognize the 716 area code that appeared on his cell phone, so he was a bit surprised when a Buffalo Bills college scout was on the phone saying, “We’re taking you with the next pick.” In fact, the no nonsense Jasper was so startled he replied, “Quit playing” because this phone call was too important to have it turn out any other way.

Some people might take the day off after achieving their life-long dream, but Jasper was headed to the gym on Sunday afternoon to get his workout in. “Just because they called my name doesn’t mean I have a job,” which surely Coach Chan Gailey has to love hearing, knowing that the accomplishment of being drafted has only caused Jasper to want to succeed that much more. Jasper even told the coach over the phone that “he is going to grind harder than ever.”

(Link - Michael Jasper | 375 Pounds of Nasty)

Of course it's the size-thing that's gonna make for such great copy as this guy tries to make the squad (think William Perry, only bigger).

Edited by The Senator

I'm pretty sure Jasper understands, as well as anyone does, the challenges facing him to earn a spot on the Bills' roster...

With nine picks left in the 2011 NFL Draft, Jasper didn’t recognize the 716 area code that appeared on his cell phone, so he was a bit surprised when a Buffalo Bills college scout was on the phone saying, “We’re taking you with the next pick.” In fact, the no nonsense Jasper was so startled he replied, “Quit playing” because this phone call was too important to have it turn out any other way.

Some people might take the day off after achieving their life-long dream, but Jasper was headed to the gym on Sunday afternoon to get his workout in. “Just because they called my name doesn’t mean I have a job,” which surely Coach Chan Gailey has to love hearing, knowing that the accomplishment of being drafted has only caused Jasper to want to succeed that much more. Jasper even told the coach over the phone that “he is going to grind harder than ever.”

(Link - Michael Jasper | 375 Pounds of Nasty)

Of course it's the size-thing that's gonna make for such great copy as this guy tries to make the squad (think William Perry, only bigger).

I bet Troupe is feeling some pressure. Hope both Troupe and Jasper are nasty. Competition is good.

I think it is great to get excited about 7th round players and undrafted free agents. Hopefully, he will keep working and keep his weight in check so he can make meaningful contributions to the team.

You know what I like about him is that unlike Mike Williams, who was also drafted for his size, Jasper appreciates the opporunity he has been given and is willing to work hard.

What is interesting, is everyone is assuming he will be a nose tackle which given his size, a perfectly reasonable assumption. He did however play offensive tackle his last two years in college and was more than athletic enough to do so, staying in on every down. Could he be a road grader? Most look at his size being a fit for NT, but don't be surprised if he is given some snaps at OT too. He may very well be a Jason Peters like surprise only at right tackle. I think Gailey has a propensity for thinking outside the box and may very well find a place for someone like this and it may not be what any of us expect.

just by looking at the pictures, it appears to me the Jaguars players were able to get lower on him and get up underneath his pads, which basically gave him no leverage on the play. He looks like he is being forced up and back at the same time, which means he has no real way of stopping his momentum. Looking at the picture of his stance where he is at almost a 45 degree angle, it basically seems the OL just got their hands under his pads and drove him backwards, as he is about at the same angle in the pictures where he is getting moved back.

Seems to be more of a lack of experience and poor technique than anything in his "core". He can have the strongest core in the NFL and if he continues lining up the way he is, he will get the same results...

One thing seems to be missed in the previous 7 pages of comments. Gailey/Nix have provided a "policy statement" that their strategy in building the team contains getting good competition at all positions. This pushes players and gives the Bills the possibility that a under-appreciated guy who has the physical measureables and the self-discipline to work to get improve, will become a valuable player. With Troup, Heard and Jasper, we have three big guys, who are hungry and we might get our big nose tackle or even a rotation from them. It is silly to take a fan position that any one of them has to be a sure thing. We have the roster spots to carry out this internal development, a limited number of draft picks and a 2-3 year timeline for completion. It is a plan. These big galoots are rare enough that we are unlikely to get anything else but a journeyman or fading has-been player from a trade or from free agency.

Agreed......hate the offseason for threads like this.....

If it was all about what players weigh the most then Kyle Williams would not be so highly regarded....there is also this thing called TALENT

You do realize we played a LOT of 4-3 the second half of the season in part due to Kyle's talent as a 4-3 DT not a 3-4 NT?

Don't get me wrong. Kyle Williams is the man and proved me wrong every year he has been with the team but he is somewhat out of position as a 3-4 NT in part due to his size and that he is a penetrator not a 2 gap plugger.

Edited by PDaDdy

• 2 weeks later...

Defense should improve considerably this year with Dareus, Williams, Carrington or Troup, Merriman, Poz, Moats and Kelsay as what might be a very good front 7. We will just have to see what the D-backs will do but I have a lot of faith in the existing group. I think keeping the Bills offense on the field and the Pats offense on the sidelines is the key. That means a time consuming run game and an aggressive turnover seeking defense. I think we can do it this year with just some breaks (Merriman recovering, Poz staying and a few other breaks.)

Who woulda thunk it.....a rookie player getting better with playing time.

WOuld liked to see a breakdown like this on Carrington as well........

Look.....NONE of these rookies are gonna be NFL ready when they come in because they are used to dominating lesser competition without having to do all the right things....it is the hard workers like Troup who take in the coaching and get better

And he IS only going to get better......he is stronger, bigger this year and improved significantly over the course of the year.