Torell Troup's Progress

Fine a if you want to sit and whine about rookies then I will continue to call you out about ridiculous statements.....

So far in this thread Troupe has been compared to TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS....I guess I need to remind that Troupe is in fact a 2nd round pick

- Aaron Maybin.....yes Troupe is definately following down the Aaron Mabin path....except for the fact that Aaron Maybin cannot even get on the special teams unit while Troup actually started games and was the first DT into the rotation behind WIlliams in every game. Troupe for all of the bitching about how horrible he has played has already made more tackles then Aaron Maybin has in his NFL career.

- McCargo.....despite the fact that John McCargo was a first round pick he has shown the complete inability to stay on the field and be counted on.....now....John has been a Bill for how many years? Oh and lets see...Troupe has been a Bill for exactly....ONE YEAR

- And I will say it again for those who just dont understand......Troupe PLAYS BEHIND A PRO BOWL PLAYER.....which means he is not going to get as many snaps. You actually have to be on the field to make plays you know?

- And then there is Chan releasing Marcus Stroud and point blank stating in an interview that he wants to give his younger guys the playing time (Troupe and Carrington) so there is this vote of confidence thing.

IMHO the jump in productivity of NFL linemen (both offensive and defensive) from first to second year is huge.....I expect Troupe to be a much more consistant player this next year because I think he is going to be on the field on run downs......clogging up the middleof the field with his 325 pound frame.

The truth on Troup and Carrington will be much clearer this time next year if there is football. I think that for the D to be successful these two guys have to develop into quality NFL players. Both seem to have the right character and intangibles but we will need another season of play to see exactly what those guys have.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really got the impression from the first Nix draft that he and Gailey drafted not for the most immediate results, but rather for guys that would be good and would fit in their system, as they envisioned it, in a few years. I've said this before - Spiller, for instance, was not as necessary position-wise as, say, NT, OLB, QB, or LT - but (I believe), they knew they would want a certain type of offense that would have certain cornerstone players, and of the WR/QB/RB trio, Spiller was the player available who fit the mold they would eventually want in place (a dynamic game-changing RB who would is capable of changing field position in a single play). I think they knew this would be a 2-3 year rebuild/remolding of the team, and so Spiller was taken to be there and to be ready when they have the system set up and in place and ready to go, as they ideally want it (and, I think they are now only a QB, maybe an O-lineman, and a dynamic TE away from having the offense in place - next year!).

Then, in round two, they looked at what they thought would be a critical position of need for the Defense, and they could have taken MT. Cody, and he'd of been more likely to be successful immediately, but they wanted a certain type of player, one who is character sound, who is cardio-fit enough to be more than just a 2 down player. Of the guys available, they saw Troupe and believed (again, I think) that he had the foundation in place, the body and the right mindset, to be a versatile, long lasting, tough D-lineman. Let's not forget he was from a small school and there was just no way he would be ready for NFL competition right away. But, what did he do after his first year? He goes and spends the offseason getting stronger. I think we can expect both Troupe and Carrington to show us this year how good they can be. And, I think we'll have one of the best D-lines in the NFL for a long time to come. People talk about Tampa and Detroit, but we've got K. Williams, Darius, Troupe, Carrington - and if the big rookie comes along, then him, too - that is a group that is not only strong, but athletic, tough, and young.

I really got the impression from the first Nix draft that he and Gailey drafted not for the most immediate results, but rather for guys that would be good and would fit in their system, as they envisioned it, in a few years. I've said this before - Spiller, for instance, was not as necessary position-wise as, say, NT, OLB, QB, or LT - but (I believe), they knew they would want a certain type of offense that would have certain cornerstone players, and of the WR/QB/RB trio, Spiller was the player available who fit the mold they would eventually want in place (a dynamic game-changing RB who would is capable of changing field position in a single play). I think they knew this would be a 2-3 year rebuild/remolding of the team, and so Spiller was taken to be there and to be ready when they have the system set up and in place and ready to go, as they ideally want it (and, I think they are now only a QB, maybe an O-lineman, and a dynamic TE away from having the offense in place - next year!).

Then, in round two, they looked at what they thought would be a critical position of need for the Defense, and they could have taken MT. Cody, and he'd of been more likely to be successful immediately, but they wanted a certain type of player, one who is character sound, who is cardio-fit enough to be more than just a 2 down player. Of the guys available, they saw Troupe and believed (again, I think) that he had the foundation in place, the body and the right mindset, to be a versatile, long lasting, tough D-lineman. Let's not forget he was from a small school and there was just no way he would be ready for NFL competition right away. But, what did he do after his first year? He goes and spends the offseason getting stronger. I think we can expect both Troupe and Carrington to show us this year how good they can be. And, I think we'll have one of the best D-lines in the NFL for a long time to come. People talk about Tampa and Detroit, but we've got K. Williams, Darius, Troupe, Carrington - and if the big rookie comes along, then him, too - that is a group that is not only strong, but athletic, tough, and young.

RBs are a dime a dozen. You can get a RB like that in any round these days. There will be talent at the RB position in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (unless u have a shot at a RB like Peterson or Tomlinson). Positions like o-line and d-line, IMO talent drops after the first round and a half. I still don't understand the Spiller pick. This is why RB's aren't being taken until the mid to late first round in recent drafts. Cuz teams know they can grab a RB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who'll produce just as well.

Edited by DreReed83

RBs are a dime a dozen. You can get a RB like that in any round these days. There will be talent at the RB position in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (unless u have a shot at a RB like Peterson or Tomlinson). Positions like o-line and d-line, IMO talent drops after the first round and a half. I still don't understand the Spiller pick. This is why RB's aren't being taken until the mid to late first round in recent drafts. Cuz teams know they can grab a RB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who'll produce just as well.

Especially considering that the running back position heading into the 2010 draft was considered one of the positions of strength with Freddie and Lynch on the roster.

I thought that the picks of Troup and Carrington were solid the team was converting to a 3-4 and it needed lineman. Yes they didn't make an impact in their rookie years but if they are solid parts of the line going forward they were good picks.

The Spiller pick to me was puzzling. So many needs on the team and they went with Spiller who was a luxury pick. I thought that a RT would have helped the team stabilize the line a lot more and improved the team more going forward. While I think Spiller will be a productive player I don't see him being that game changer he was drafted to be.

Had the team drafted Bulaga and kept Lynch I think it would have been better off. The line going forward wouldn't have such a glaring need at RT and the team would still be solid at RB.

Edited by billsfan89

Especially considering that the running back position heading into the 2010 draft was considered one of the positions of strength with Freddie and Lynch on the roster.

I thought that the picks of Troup and Carrington were solid the team was converting to a 3-4 and it needed lineman. Yes they didn't make an impact in their rookie years but if they are solid parts of the line going forward they were good picks.

The Spiller pick to me was puzzling. So many needs on the team and they went with Spiller who was a luxury pick. I thought that a RT would have helped the team stabilize the line a lot more and improved the team more going forward. While I think Spiller will be a productive player I don't see him being that game changer he was drafted to be.

Had the team drafted Bulaga and kept Lynch I think it would have been better off. The line going forward wouldn't have such a glaring need at RT and the team would still be solid at RB.

I dont get it...this has been rehashed. Is everyone forgetting that Lynch was talking @hit, not reporting and one strike away from a year suspension? Does everyone realize Fred Jackson (and I am a fan) is on the older side for a running back and should something happen with the Lynch situation we would have had NOTHING in the backfield?

How was running back not a need?

Correct me if I' wrong, but you don't get 4.3 guys in the later rounds as you suggest. He has a unique skills-set. No, he didn't produce his first season, but something tells me that his physical traits will help him be a cornerstone of the offense for years to come.

Correct me if I' wrong, but you don't get 4.3 guys in the later rounds as you suggest. He has a unique skills-set. No, he didn't produce his first season, but something tells me that his physical traits will help him be a cornerstone of the offense for years to come.

Jamaal Charles of the Chiefs ran a 4.34 and was taken in the 3rd round.

He only lacks two "unique skills-sets": blocking and convincing his HC and OC he should be on the field.

Troup got significantly better as the season progressed. We know he has added a ton of muscle mass to his body and is watching tape of some of the better NTs in the league. Clearly his work ethic is excellent. It disappoints me that there are people more obsessed with Jasper at this point. I'm a big fan of Troup. He's such a liable guy that it's hard not to cheer for him. Expect for him to be big for us as he continues to develop the next couple of seasons. I firmly believe that he will be the anchor in our 3-4 defense for several years.

Back in the late '90s when the Bills ran a 3-4 defense, they had Ted Washington as their starting NT, and Pat Williams in the rotation as well. Washington was a very good NT. But it's not as though he was able to play every snap without wearing down. The Bills played him about half the defensive snaps to keep him fresh, with Williams getting the other half. What made the situation nice was the fact that Pat Williams was such a good NT himself.

I'd love to see Troup and Jasper become our Washington and Williams. :thumbsup: What Washington and Williams brought to the NT position was a huge part of the defensive dominance the Bills established in the late '90s.

Jamaal Charles of the Chiefs ran a 4.34 and was taken in the 3rd round.

And I'm sure the list ends around there. I just tend to buy into the notion that running backs are more of a result of the system. Players w/ elite skills (as Spiller is supposed to have) can overcome some of the deficiencies of their oline and offensive scheme where touches are limited.

With a new young prospect picked up this year for the NT position who do you think the Bills should put more time into ?

By the title of this post you already know the 2 contestants , the first being Torell Troupe because this will be his second year & second newly drafted 7th round pick Micheal Jasper .

The reason why i ask is because some people are just a natural at some things & some have to work to be good at something . Now i'm not saying that Troupe may not be a good D lineman but who is a more natural fit ?

Troupe has had to gain weight to play the position & work on his core strength to be a better player at the NT position & last year he got pushed around quite a bit on the line even when he wasn't in the NT position . When the Bills ran there heavy 4-3 front he was still pushed around a bit .

Now for Micheal Jasper , from every thing i have read the guy is a naturally big & strong guy . Just today on rumblings they show the guy bench pressing 500 lbs , i don't know about you but i don't know any other O line man that have come close to 500 lbs other than Jasper him self .

While in college he topped the scales at 440 lbs , since the Bills scouts have started a very good almost brother like relationship with Jasper & told him in order for the NFL to take him serious he would have to lose weight he has slimmed down to 370 lbs .

Keep in mind while at 440 lbs he ran something like a 5.8 - 40 time , could dunk a B ball flat footed & his college coach has said he has never seen a guy that big , that athletic with that good of feet .

So a guy that can bench 500 lbs (very strong), very athletic , great feet , & is very quick , plus has the size for the position . Or a guy that needs to get bigger , get stronger , & has to work on his technique in order to not get pushed around .

I think Troupe may be better suited for another D line position & think the Bills time would be better spent developing Jasper because he even though a rookie is a lot closer & has the tools needed for the position .

What you think ??? You all seem to enjoy tearing apart the posts that i put up ,so here is another for you to have your way with !!

Troup is probably 1 million steps in front of Jasper. I dont understand these threads.

Am I wrong or did Jasper play OG at a D3 school? And people are saying he will beat out our 2nd round pick at NT?

And for the size queens, remember Troup is 330lbs and benches 550lbs

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Troup is probably 1 million steps in front of Jasper. I dont understand these threads.

Am I wrong or did Jasper play OG at a D3 school? And people are saying he will beat out our 2nd round pick at NT?

just remember Troup is 330lbs and benches 550lbs.

You don't know much about Jasper it's apparent , he played D for most of his college career and his offense at his last college was getting pushed around so bad the coach moved him to the O line .

Last i heard troupe had just broke 325 & had to work to put that on & where did the 550 lb thing come from ?? (i'd like to read the article) if it's true then i'll recant my post ! I said i wasn't putting the guy down . It amazes me how so many people pick out what they want to read here & not read the whole post .

You don't know much about Jasper it's apparent , he played D for most of his college career and his offense at his last college was getting pushed around so bad the coach moved him to the O line .

Last i heard troupe had just broke 325 & had to work to put that on & where did the 550 lb thing come from ?? (i'd like to read the article) if it's true then i'll recant my post ! I said i wasn't putting the guy down . It amazes me how so many people pick out what they want to read here & not read the whole post .

I would like to know why you have it in for Troup? This is the second thread in which you bash the guy about being pushed around in his ROOKIE season.

31 NFL teams didn't even have Jasper on their radar. The media didn't know who the guy was on draft day. That says something, if Jasper was a force to be reckoned with another team would have also been in the hunt for the guy. Now, its possible that 31 other teams missed on this guy, but the odds aren't in his favor. I hope that Jasper and Troup both become dominant linemen with Dareus, and the Bills can use them as depth for years to come.

Edited by Kevin

Troup had to work to put on weight? the same Troup that was 360lbs and had to work to lose weight?

he said how much he benched on twitter. Troup, you know was talented enough to go to the combine, put up 34 reps while Jasper did 34 reps at his gym. They are both strong as heck.

Buffalo loves the underdog. the strange thing is Troup is also an underdog, just shows where Jasper is coming from.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I think the NFL should issue a waiver to the Bills so they can play 12 men on defense because their defense sucks so bad. So, allow both Jasper and Troup to play NT at the same time. But Jasper needs to stop losing weight and Troup needs to start putting it on... a little more time at the buffet and a little less time in the gym.

I think the NFL should issue a waiver to the Bills so they can play 12 men on defense because their defense sucks so bad. So, allow both Jasper and Troup to play NT at the same time. But Jasper needs to stop losing weight and Troup needs to start putting it on... a little more time at the buffet and a little less time in the gym.

Sounds like having Jasper on the field WOULD be like having 12 men! (Dude's kind of like a human, only bigger!) :beer: