• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some comparisons

Dareus 6ft 3 in 319 lb 40yd 4.93 s VJ 27 in BJ 8 ft 10 in BP 27 rep

Ngata 6 ft 4 in 338 lb 40yd 4.99 s VJ 31½ in BJ 9 ft 2 in BP 37 rep

Suh 6ft 4 in 307 lb 40yd 5.03 s VJ 35 in BJ 8 ft 9 in BP 32 rep

Jasper 6ft 4.5 in 378 lb 40yd 5.38 s VJ 33 in BJ 9 ft 5 in BP 34 rep

Taking into account that Jasper probably didn't have a top notch strength training and nutrition program until recently, I'd say he compares pretty favorably to some of the most talented DTs in football- the Bills would probably like to see him in the 350-360lb range eventually to help his endurance and his quickness out his stance.

Just some comparisons

Taking into account that Jasper probably didn't have a top notch strength training and nutrition program until recently, I'd say he compares pretty favorably to some of the most talented DTs in football- the Bills would probably like to see him in the 350-360lb range eventually to help his endurance and his quickness out his stance.

Lifting weights, sprinting and jumping is not football. Size and athleticism are a pre-requisites to play in the NFL but they don't really guarantee you of anything. You have to be able to play the game. We'll see if Jasper can if they ever play games again.

Lifting weights, sprinting and jumping is not football. Size and athleticism are a pre-requisites to play in the NFL but they don't really guarantee you of anything. You have to be able to play the game. We'll see if Jasper can if they ever play games again.

There are no guarantees, but when you've got a raw talent with that combination of athletic ability, strength, and size, it's definitely intriguing. If he can be coached up who's to say he couldn't become a dominant force. Sure he could wash out...or he could become the next Ted Washington.

Thank you, you are SO right. It isn't just about the biggest or strongest, it's also about leverage, instincts, technique

and effort. I love the Jasper story as much as anyone. I also see that he is an outstanding athlete for someone so

large. However, remember he was 440 lbs last year playing at a very low level of competition on the OL. Yes, he did

play defense the year before, but he was also playing against 230-250lb OL at that level of play. His athletic ability,

size and strength gives him a CHANCE to make it in the NFL.

I don't know why some here want to give up on Troup after one year where he didn't light it up. It is VERY common

for DL, especially DT/NT to take 2-3 years to get stronger and learn technique to play well at the NFL level. Troup,

by the reports I've seen, is a hard worker and has talent. Don't give up on him yet.

Nix said he thinks Troup is the real deal.

"Troup and Carrington are really good players. These days if you don’t start your first game as a rookie you’re a bust. It’s ludicrous. You really don’t know what guys will do until year three. They will get on field more (this season).... Troup played a lot (last year), Carrington played late in the year and got better every time he played. Troup he’s big enough to play in there, anchor the 3-4 and at defensive end."

I could see Chix rotating Jasper into the NT position. I recall a Gailey quote which basically said (paraphrased) "that if Jasper makes the team, he should expect to be rotated into a playing position- and that while his skills may be raw, his natural size and strength will mask some of those deficiencies, thereby allowing him the opportunity to hone his skills."

With that being said, we are certainly better off starting Troupe in game one of the season. I have a feeling he'll be a pleasant surprise.

Just some comparisons

Football is played on the field. Jasper compares favorably in what way? There is a reason he bounced around to 3 different programs. He's an intriguing prospect but there's a reason. If we're lucky it was simple immaturity that he's 'outgrown'. It would be a great story and that's why we've seen so many articles and posts about him but he's got the deck stacked against him.

Hope he makes it.

The kid graduated high school 7 years ago! He finished college one year ahead of Bluto Blutarski. He will struggle to keep his weight below 400.

Troup couldn't start at NT, how does this kid leapfrog over Troup and our starting NT (Williams?).

The kid graduated high school 7 years ago! He finished college one year ahead of Bluto Blutarski. He will struggle to keep his weight below 400.

Troup couldn't start at NT, how does this kid leapfrog over Troup and our starting NT (Williams?).

Mr. Blutarsky ... 0.0.

I have to agree with The Truth Hurts. We haven't even seen Jasper play football yet. Yes we are all marveled by his size and strength, but can he play football. I think Troupe is going to have a good year of the verge of a break out year in year three. Learning to play in the NFL isn't easy, I was listening to NFL radio today and they made some good points about the lock out and how it will effect players coming into this league. You need more then raw talent to make it in this league especailly as a rookie. So I don't take any rookie season stats to heart, lets see what they do in year two. And you can't compare Troupe to Jasper yet (Troupe is well far advanced then Jasper) and if the guy is such a freak why don't we play him at guard so we can push around the jets and pats NT and open some lanes.....although I would much rather try him at NT that was just a thought.

I still can't understand why people are severely hyping up and overrating Jasper. Troup is working his ass off putting on a ton of muscle and watching hours of film and people would rather overlook that to talk about a D3 guy who we've yet to see actually play football.

I still can't understand why people are severely hyping up and overrating Jasper. Troup is working his ass off putting on a ton of muscle and watching hours of film and people would rather overlook that to talk about a D3 guy who we've yet to see actually play football.

Same reason we love Easley and batten-- there's no film to watch. The only guys we love unanimously are the guys that we have never seen.

Just some comparisons

Mike Mamula and Brian Bosworth thank you for this post.

Not only that, Troup can only throw a medicine ball 30 feet.

Check this link out: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/nfl-lineman-threw-up-700-pound-bench-press-37703.html

Someone over at buffalorumblings asked what was so special about benching 500 lbs for an NFL lineman, so I looked up some of the stats - and the answer I got on the net was that 500 lb range for linemen is normal. Allen, quoted above, benched 700 lbs, with apparent ease. So, that strength will be matched in the NFL with equal strength, it seems, quite often. He'll have to become technically sound. But, there's no denying he has a body that could become difficult to move, sheer weight wise.

By the way, I like Troupe a lot. I like Dareus, and K. Williams, and Carrington, too. If Jasper makes it, he'll be one of a bunch of Bills linemen that I really can very easily root for.

Look if Jasper makes the team it'll be a really great story. If he somehow manages to contribute it'll be a steal in the 7th round. The ceiling is really high on the guy because of his freakish size and strength. However, he has a LONG road to go. Let's not start penciling him in as a starter.

Look if Jasper makes the team it'll be a really great story. If he somehow manages to contribute it'll be a steal in the 7th round. The ceiling is really high on the guy because of his freakish size and strength. However, he has a LONG road to go. Let's not start penciling him in as a starter.

I fully expect Jasper to see the field this season, not necessarily as a starter, but the Bills spent a considerable amount of time, money, effort, etc. scouting and working with the kid prior to the draft, and could have just waited to sign him as an undrafted FA rather than burn a draft pick. He'll play some.

And you're right - it'll be a great story, especially the part about him not fitting in [bills' scout] Matt Hand's truck.