If there is ever Free Agency..

I think he is the best backup QB on the market. He was never really given a shot in Minny. Physically, the guy has everything you want. Given Gailey's work with lesser talented QBs, I think he could really benefit Jackson's career. Additionally, his career is not as bad as people think http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackTa00.htm :

One season with a 90+ QB rating, 24 td to 22 INT, 76.6 career Qb rating, W-L 10-10.

Any thoughts?

I like the idea. You will get flammed for it. But in a lot of ways in makes sense. (1) your correct, he was never given a shot and is not as bad as ppl think. (2) he fits what the Bills need. Someone who is not a threat to Fitz (so he is not looking over his back all the time) and someone with NFL experience.

Whoever is brought in is going to have to mentally and emotionally accept being the backup. He cannot be a divisive force in the locker room. He still must prepare every week as though he was going to have to go into the game in a split second. And he must be good enough to help the team win if he is forced to become the starter. If Jackson, or any other candidate for the job, fits those criteria, then bring him in.

I think he is the best backup QB on the market. He was never really given a shot in Minny. Physically, the guy has everything you want. Given Gailey's work with lesser talented QBs, I think he could really benefit Jackson's career. Additionally, his career is not as bad as people think http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackTa00.htm :

One season with a 90+ QB rating, 24 td to 22 INT, 76.6 career Qb rating, W-L 10-10.

Any thoughts?

I thought that Donovan McNabb was a pretty good QB...Very solid over the course of his career. Not great...Not a Marino, Kelly, Montana, Brady etc....but a step below and solid. I do think that he is probably just about done though, and it would be about the appropriate time for him to retire.I wish we would've had him over nearly all if not all of our QB's since Kelly. I did like Flutie for about 2 yrs..and Blesdoe for about 8 games...but overall I wish we would've had Mcnabb..especially considering we've had Rob Johnson, Hobert, Lossman, Todd Collins, Edwards, Van Pelt etc...I know A. Van Pelt was a popular player, but I never saw him as a decent QB. I hope Donovan McNabb has success again, but if not hopefully he'll have a nice retirement.

Any thoughts?

eh'

This is the dumbest idea that people have, looking for someone who is more then happy to just accept being Fitz's backup.

I DON'T WANT ANYONE ON THIS TEAM THAT IS JUST HAPPY BEING A BACKUP! Players should be striving to be starters or else they should be even playing in the pros. Even Brady and Mannings backups should be coming to work every day trying to take over the starting job from them.

i also don't want anyone that is just happy to be a backup to Fitzpatrick. He had a good year last year and has played well as a backup in the past, but what has Fitz ever done to deserve to not have to compete for the starting job anymore? I don't think he has ever even played in the playoffs before yet everyone is acting like this guy lead us to almost winning a Super Bowl.

This is and has been a mediocre, middle of the pact team at best this last decade, no players position should be safe and be guaranteed the starting job

I DON'T WANT ANYONE ON THIS TEAM THAT IS JUST HAPPY BEING A BACKUP! Players should be striving to be starters or else they should be even playing in the pros. Even Brady and Mannings backups should be coming to work every day trying to take over the starting job from them.

I take it you're not enamored with Billy Volek then?

First, what do people mean when they say that he hasn't been "given a shot"? He was the starter for a full season (other than a few games when he was hurt) and began the next season as the presumtive starter until he lost the job to......Gus Frerotte. In the NFL, that's a shot.

Second, he just does not have the instincts to play QB at the NFL level; his decision making is awful and he does not produce anything beyond what AP gets for him.

The Bills are better off looking for a younger guy that might have a shot to develop into something rather than hoping a draft bust will suddenly become a useful player.

Any thoughts?

No thanks i'll pass 24 & 22 we've had enough of that for years !! :thumbdown:

I wouldn't even want Tavaris Jackson as a 3rd stringer.

As far as Donovan McNabb is concerned, he hasn't been the same since the EAGLES lost to NE in the Super Bowl and T.O. badmouthed him to the press about his performance that day.

I thought he was a quality QB until his legs went, limiting his skills .... He's now totally on the decline and I believe his REDSKINS experience has finished him. There's no way Rex Grossman gives any team a better chance to win.

Horrible selection of FA QB's this year. My money is on Thigpen just because of his connection to Chan. Possibly a good fit and he will push Fitzy for the starting job and at minimum be a decent backup in case Fitzy gets hurt.

I'd like to see them take a shot at UDFA Pat Devlin or Jerrod Johnson (or others if they have potential) as well for the 4th spot they say they want to get. It all depends on what each would cost us. If we have to give up an early round (1st or 2nd) to get Thigpen then pass on him.

Come on NFL, get this CBA and lockout settled!!

Edited by hammie65

West Coast Offense QBs are not a good fit for Gailey's offense. Tarvaris has been groomed in the WCO for the past 4 years, he would not be able to come to Buffalo and thrive in our offense. Same goes for McNabb & Hasselbeck, but at least they've shown they can play.

If our #2 QB is not Thigpen, it'll be a smart gritty type like Gradkowski.

Whoever is brought in is going to have to mentally and emotionally accept being the backup. He cannot be a divisive force in the locker room. He still must prepare every week as though he was going to have to go into the game in a split second. And he must be good enough to help the team win if he is forced to become the starter. If Jackson, or any other candidate for the job, fits those criteria, then bring him in.

I in no way shape or form want anyone on this team that is willing to accept being a backup, QB included. Even if the guy isn't talented enough to beat out Fitz, I want him to be striving toward that number one spot.

Are there any QBs putting up big numbers in other pro football leagues?