Whaley promoted

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is an excellent move. Our FO is seemingly becoming more and more compitent. Whaley had direct input on building the Steelers' defense that you see today. :thumbsup:

A year ago, the Bills took some flak for hiring an old guy like Nix to be the General Manager instead of an up-and-coming personnel superstar. For example, one NFL insider said this immediately after Nix's hiring was announced.

“The Buffalo hire is a joke and a slap in the face to all hard working people in the NFL... Bills fans can rest assured that, a year from now, two years from now, and three and four years from now, the team will still be in last place in the AFC East. The Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins continue to make moves to get better while the Bills just tread water. There are good people who were very interested in that job, like Dave Gettelman, Scott Studwell and Doug Whaley that never got a chance. All those guys could have helped that team."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/01/bills-decision-to-hire-nix-draws-criticism/?related=1

I can't find it but I think SI's Peter King once voiced a similar opinion that the Bills should have considered Whaley for the GM position.

Yet the Bills ended up with the best of both worlds, the experience and subtle wisdom of an old-timer (Nix) and the vigor and keen intellect of youth (Whaley). I'm looking for Nix to continue grooming Whaley for a couple years before completely handing over the reins to him. Already Whaley's new job description makes it sound like he's already the GM.

Already Whaley's new job description makes it sound like he's already the GM.

I wouldn't go that far yet. There's a lot more to being GM than player personnel (as John Butler, RIP, would tell you). One step at a time, Padawan...

Best part of the Bills' press release, IMO:

"Under the direction of Nix, the Bills are continuing to re-evaluate and reorganize the personnel department."

A year ago, the Bills took some flak for hiring an old guy like Nix to be the General Manager instead of an up-and-coming personnel superstar. For example, one NFL insider said this immediately after Nix's hiring was announced.

“The Buffalo hire is a joke and a slap in the face to all hard working people in the NFL... Bills fans can rest assured that, a year from now, two years from now, and three and four years from now, the team will still be in last place in the AFC East. The Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins continue to make moves to get better while the Bills just tread water. There are good people who were very interested in that job, like Dave Gettelman, Scott Studwell and Doug Whaley that never got a chance. All those guys could have helped that team."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/01/bills-decision-to-hire-nix-draws-criticism/?related=1

I can't find it but I think SI's Peter King once voiced a similar opinion that the Bills should have considered Whaley for the GM position.

Yet the Bills ended up with the best of both worlds, the experience and subtle wisdom of an old-timer (Nix) and the vigor and keen intellect of youth (Whaley). I'm looking for Nix to continue grooming Whaley for a couple years before completely handing over the reins to him. Already Whaley's new job description makes it sound like he's already the GM.

Yeah RW seems to have made a couple of smart moves here. Let's hope the draft this year is as good as many suggest that it might be.

Well fine, good for him and perhaps he deserves it. But one might argue, maybe Ralph should cease promoting anyone until this team achieves a winning record... Just throwing it out there that there is another way to look at these things...

If you want to be negative about this then yeah. But this is a positive thing and people should be happy about this. Whaley is a smart football guy and we'd be lucky for him to be our GM when Nix is no longer around.

Well fine, good for him and perhaps he deserves it. But one might argue, maybe Ralph should cease promoting anyone until this team achieves a winning record... Just throwing it out there that there is another way to look at these things...

YES! The flogging must continue until morale improves!

!

Yes, we should have kept Brandon as GM and Jauron as coach until they achieved a winning record…

C'mon Coach!

That's right; the mentally impaired often look at things quite differently.

Good Lord.