Round 2 (Pick #34): CB Aaron Williams - University of Texas

SDS

I am trying to figure out why anyone would be upset with this.....

He was carrying a 1st round grade.....we have corners that are either getting old or about to be lost in free agency......Whitner is gone........he can play either corner OR safety......so we dont fall apart when the injury bug hits

We are doing what needs to be done......fixing the defense........

I have seen ProFootballWeekly had him as a 1st round grade, but it does scare me that he was Texas' nickel corner

for half of the season this year. I am sure he is talented, but a nickel corner going at the top of round 2?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it worry anyone that he had 0...that's ZERO...interceptions last year? I know it could mean that people weren't throwing at him as much, but I don't know if that was the case.

Patrick Peterson had 7 INTs for his entire career and many think he's the best player in this draft.

Teams look more at skill set and versatility than pickoffs...

I'm happy with this pick. Aaron Williams is an interesting player. He's not overly quick, but he's a big, strong CB/S who is good in run support. He had more tackles than both of our other CBs combined, more forced fumbles than anyone outside of Acho, and more pass breakups than either CB.

Downsides are not overly speedy, but he doesn't play slow, either. He's also had a couple of mental lapses (like a muffed punt vs OU), so he fits in well there. :P

I have seen ProFootballWeekly had him as a 1st round grade, but it does scare me that he was Texas' nickel corner

for half of the season this year. I am sure he is talented, but a nickel corner going at the top of round 2?

Only reason why he was behind Chykie Brown and Curtis Brown was nagging injuries. He's the better player.

Edited by BlueFire

Not sure I like the position we picked but Buddy continues to pick BPA. May indicate that the staff is not happy with the production from the CB position. Also, a DB that can play CB or safety is very valuable. I can reconcile to the pick but would have been happier with LB or even TE.

There should be some quality ILBs and TEs available during 3rd round.

At least tell me he can play special teams... :wallbash:

I'm gonna bet Aaron Miller from Texas (CB). I'm not saying he's my choice. I just think he's the highest rated player on the board who doesn't have a knee injury, and my understanding is that they're drafting BPA.

Jeez, McBride. I'm thinking you just might be NeverGiveUp.

Nice call.

GO BILLS!!!

Patrick Peterson had 7 INTs for his entire career and many think he's the best player in this draft.

Teams look more at skill set and versatility than pickoffs...

I don't disagree with you, but Williams has 4 career INTs over 3 years. I'm just saying you'd hope to at least see 1 interception in his last year before going to the NFL.

Not sure if was mentioned but a lot of mocks had Williams going to Pittsburgh. If there was indeed interest by the Steelers, it makes ya wonder about the Whaley influence on the draft...

Not sure if was mentioned but a lot of mocks had Williams going to Pittsburgh. If there was indeed interest by the Steelers, it makes ya wonder about the Whaley influence on the draft...

That makes me feel a little better. Of course I hope you mean Pitt picking him with their 1st round pick - rather then pick 63.

BrianGalliford Brian Galliford

Yes. I am an unabashed HUGE fan of the #Bills first two draft picks. Two very logically sound decisions. Two tough-as-nails ballers.

Tweet 1 minute ago

whatever...

god, you anti CB guys are just like broken records. we are gonna lose 1-3 guys in our secondary due to FA and old age, and it's a bad idea to get a well rated guy who can play CB or S in the 2nd?

Yeah, when you give up 194 yds a game rushing in your division. ITS A BAD IDEA!!!

Buddy just showed he has no more idea how to build a team than his predecessors.

I like the pick well enough. Lets face it, McGee is basically shot at this point and Florence is on the wrong side of 30. Sure, they had other needs, but they needed a quality CB prospect, too, and in the end, they got a very good one without burning their first pick on it as they have in the past. I can't complain.

Good pick overall. I think we all have forgotten that the Bills acutally have an extra pick this year in the fact that the LB injured last preseason Danny Bratten(sp?) will be back. He was doing very well until he was injured. Plus we have Marcus Easley. So that's two extra picks technically. But a LB in round 3 would be nice.

Also, with regards to the other need positions like LB, there's a steep drop off at CB after williams, while there appears to be a good number of LBs on the board. There's more draft depth at that position.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

For what it's worth there has been quite a few DBs taken so far in this round. NE and BUF might have been the visionaries here btw. And for those that think we don't need a DB just wait until week 3 when McGee gets hurt again for 6 weeks like every year.