Round 2 (Pick #34): CB Aaron Williams - University of Texas

SDS

Huh? The Bills have devoted 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks to the defensive line in the last two years. That sounds like building from the ground up to me. Not to mention they went ILB in the third. You really seem to be reaching here, as this is the first DB Nix has taken in his time here.

We should definitely draft more like the Patriots though, right? Oh wait, they have spent a 1st or 2nd round pick on a DB every year since 2007.

Way to be overly dramatic and nonsensical.

Yep.

IF Belechik is a genius, then how do you explain getting 2 3rd string Rbs, when you could have had a 1st string, Heisman trophy winning Rb, using the picks you got to trade down?

Mallet sitting on the bench for a few years, and maybe, maybe, being good makes that OK?

Talk about luxury, to the point of nonsensical, picks.

The simple fact is that there is no "always works" draft strategy. Why? Because there is an equal chance that I will be proven right or wrong about the Rbs in NE and NO. It may look stupid now, and it looks really, really stupid, but you never know.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belichick was on the radio today saying he had numerous inquiries about trading the pick. Am I out of line for assuming that we too could have easily had a trade down partner?

But of course, we absolutely HAD to have a corner (or is he a safety?).

I like this selection in that we might see less of Whitner's second grade level tweets posted, whereas he is out of here. Other than that it sucked. It is a classic Bills example of what not to do. The Bills lose football games. There is no point in maintaining failure. They should start from the ground up and build a good, strong team. One with talent and depth at QB and both lines.

Face it folks, we are cursed.

Yeah because the secondary really shuts down the Pats and Jets receivers. Tell me who is going to start at both DC's for ALL 16 games if they don't Williams? On top of that they're in nickel half the time with all the 4 WR sets teams use now. Teams really should pick DC's every year, you need 5 healthy ones and it's hard to keep those guys healthy for 16 games each year. They are getting rid of the smaller defensive players and starting to get men to play defense. I'm all for the pick, bigger, faster, stronger....defense wins championships.

Just real sick of seeing them take little guys early, then watch our run D suck for the year, then take another DB early, watch our run D suck again....wash, rinse, repeat.

All three players they selected are pretty big for their positions. Dareus is a 320 pound DE. Williams a 205 pound CB and Sheppard a 250 pound LB. They are all known to be tough and physical. What is your problem with that?

Just real sick of seeing them take little guys early, then watch our run D suck for the year, then take another DB early, watch our run D suck again....wash, rinse, repeat.

Relax. The Bills defense is better today than it was two days ago.

I'm sorry...I would have taken Marcus Gilbert, the big RT from Florida. You know who took him...Pittsburgh. You know who never has a problem running the ball or stopping the run...Pittsburgh. You know who makes the playoffs every damn year...Pittsburgh. What do we do...draft DBs with 1st and 2nd round picks when we should be drafting big linemen.

Plus the 2 defensive linemen we took in the first 3 rounds last year.

But we take 1 (ONE) defensive back, a place where the team has an obvious need as well, and all of a sudden dick jauron is coach again. Stupidity is too kind a word.

I'm sorry...I would have taken Marcus Gilbert, the big RT from Florida. You know who took him...Pittsburgh. You know who never has a problem running the ball or stopping the run...Pittsburgh. You know who makes the playoffs every damn year...Pittsburgh. What do we do...draft DBs with 1st and 2nd round picks when we should be drafting big linemen.

The bills drafted a DB in the first round this year? News to me.

Pitt took that tackle because their pass protection sucks btw.

The Steelers biggest need was a CB. A lot of draftniks had Williams going to the Steelers in the first round. They reportedly really loved and wanted the guy, and brought him in, but decided Heyward was better when he was surprisingly available. The Steelers also drafted a CB with their 3rd round pick.

Lets see Donte Whitner...McKelvin, Byrd and now Aaron Williams. Thats a lot of DBs in the first and second rounds....how many offensive tackles?

2010 the Patriots drafted a CB #1.

2009 the Patriots drafted a CB and SS with their first and third picks (both in round #2)

2008 the Patriots drafted a CB #2

2007 the Patriots drafted a S #1

Lets see Donte Whitner...McKelvin, Byrd and now Aaron Williams. Thats a lot of DBs in the first and second rounds....how many offensive tackles?

It's a different regime. :doh:

I actually like what they're doing here. So if yoiu're going to cry and btch about it. take it someplace else. Can we get a middle finger smiley face icon option on this thing?

On some sites, this guy is rated number 1 safety that can also play the nickel. his versatility will serve us well.

These top 3 picks have been flawless

Edited by DreReed83

They took DE and RT early, little guys later. Exactly what we should be doing....we got half of it right with our 1st round pick.

Let me ask you...when we can't run to the right or need to keep the TE in to pass block rather than run a route, will you wish we took a RT and solidifed our OL? Gilbert was a good one...many had him rated as the best RT in the draft.

2010 the Patriots drafted a CB #1.

2009 the Patriots drafted a CB and SS with their first and third picks (both in round #2)

2008 the Patriots drafted a CB #2

2007 the Patriots drafted a S #1

Seriously Kelly, you're throwing out way too many facts for this crowd. Heads will explode!

I love the people that are upset about this pick. They're not looking at the player or the fact that we're really thin at CB. Instead, they're rationalizing their hate for this pick because of the fact previous management reached for DBs early that turned out to be less than stellar and automatically assuming Nix picking a CB in the 2nd will turn out the same way.

I like the pick. Lets face it, our corners are pretty bad... CB/LB were both needs at this point, and I guess they had Williams rated higher than any LB that was still there..pick makes sense.

This goes to show also that the coaching staff has full confidence in Fitz.

Only reason anyone thinks ou dbs are week is that are pass rush is so pitiful! Revis and the Raider guy would look like crap with last year's pass rush.

Makes too much sense for some to realize.

Taking a DB this high in the draft is much like opening that really pretty package at Christmas and having it filled with socks and underwear. You know that the other packages will be more fun and these items are truly needed so it would be really unwise to complain about it.

On the other hand, when you are running late for work, it is really a nice feeling to pull your dresser drawer open and have some nice, never worn, perfectly clean undergarments to put on.

In football reality, secondary guys get hurt all the time, especially when you're becoming road kill drying to defend the run. Many times teams have 5 or 6 DB's in the game and a good offense will find your weak link and exploit it. That's why taking a DB high in the draft is a good idea most every year.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

If memory serves me straight, the Byrd pick was preceded by two big OLs. No?