Round 2 (Pick #34): CB Aaron Williams - University of Texas

SDS

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boring pick, but it was definitely a need.

For everyone that wants a QB, the Bills are doing exactly what every fan wants them to no. Which is, to stick to their board and NOT reach. None of these guys, aside from maybe Gabbert, have been picked in a slot that relates to their value. Almost all of the QB picks have been reaches.

I would have preferred an ILB, but I think the Bills see themselves in a good position to pick up a developmental pass rusher (Moats) or a solid ILB later on in the draft. How much you want to be the Bills don't pull the trigger on a QB at all?

He could be the next Yabouty. Pitiful when Dalton is sitting there are you know Cinn been trying to mov eup tio draft him for 2 days. Just talk to Cinn and flip flop pix? No, we draft another f'n DB!

Agreed

I like the pick. Lets face it, our corners are pretty bad... CB/LB were both needs at this point, and I guess they had Williams rated higher than any LB that was still there..pick makes sense.

This goes to show also that the coaching staff has full confidence in Fitz.

Also, with regards to the other need positions like LB, there's a steep drop off at CB after williams, while there appears to be a good number of LBs on the board. There's more draft depth at that position.

From Eugene at DraftTek:

Aaron Williams has great height and length with decent bulk. Smooth, natural athlete. Fluid hips, transitions well. Versatile, can play corner or safety and might actually be the top safety prospect in this class. Raw player overall with tons of upside at corner or safety. Shows well in zone coverage. Great hands, leaping ability and ball skills. Good family pedigree. Strong player that is good in run support and plays physical. Too aggressive and it leads to giving up big plays. Raw technique. Gets high in his backpedal. Mediocre instincts. Overall, Williams is a CB/FS tweener that will get a shot at corner first and could succeed there in a zone scheme but may need to move to safety in other schemes. He’s got a ton of upside but will need time to develop.

Also, with regards to the other need positions like LB, there's a steep drop off at CB after williams, while there appears to be a good number of LBs on the board. There's more draft depth at that position.

Agreed. We can probably get good LBs in the 3rd and even 4th.

side note: congrats to your dude for getting picked so early. not sure i agree with the pick, but good for him. best of luck.

Like it or not, it was a definite need, and a player with a 1st round grade on him.

Florence is gone, and McGee is getting up there in age. Tough to argue with it.

Plus, iirc Youboty is a free agent, and it looks like they want some insurance on McKelvin.

I would've preferred one of the LBs that dropped --- Houston or Ayers. There's no denying that CB is a need; I just don't think it was as big a need as LB. And not for someone who'll probably project to nickel or dime.

But, as has been said, they go with the BPA rather than need. I agree to a degree, but we need !@#$ing LBs. The 3-4 goes through LBs really fast --- am I the only one who remembers in the latter years before the switch to the 4-3, when we had only 3 guys left at LB in one game b/c of injuries? They were dropping like flies.

Edited by UConn James

Im not thrilled with the pick....but the Patriots passed on everyone available too for a Cornerback. Just saying....makes me feel a tad bit bettr....plus i just watched sum tape of this new cat...and he looks pretty nice.....I would of gambled on Bowers....maybe they still will....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

From Eugene at DraftTek:

Aaron Williams has great height and length with decent bulk. Smooth, natural athlete. Fluid hips, transitions well. Versatile, can play corner or safety and might actually be the top safety prospect in this class. Raw player overall with tons of upside at corner or safety. Shows well in zone coverage. Great hands, leaping ability and ball skills. Good family pedigree. Strong player that is good in run support and plays physical. Too aggressive and it leads to giving up big plays. Raw technique. Gets high in his backpedal. Mediocre instincts. Overall, Williams is a CB/FS tweener that will get a shot at corner first and could succeed there in a zone scheme but may need to move to safety in other schemes. He’s got a ton of upside but will need time to develop.

I'm actually okay with the Bills using their second round pick on a CB. McGee is getting on in years and McKelvin's instincts are suspect. But the bolded statement has me worried. If the Bills are going DB with their second round pick, it has to result in a starting CB--not some CB/FS tweener who can play CB only in a zone scheme. I don't know whether the bolded statement is correct; but if it is I'm not happy. :(

Also, if this guy can play, he must not be allowed to go first contract and out!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

I'm actually okay with the Bills using their second round pick on a CB. McGee is getting on in years and McKelvin's instincts are suspect. But the bolded statement has me worried. If the Bills are going DB with their second round pick, it has to result in a starting CB--not some CB/FS tweener who can play CB only in a zone scheme. I don't know whether the bolded statement is correct; but if it is I'm not happy. :(

Also, if this guy can play, he must not be allowed to go first contract and out!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

He's not a tweener.