As of last night, Bills looking at Blaine Gabbert

Adam Sheffter reporting that last night the Bills are now seriously looking at Blaine Gabbert. Maybe the FO is playing head games with the 49'rs and Bengals and Cards or they really are looking for a QB early. I thought I knew what was going to happen...guess not.

Nothing wrong with that. They should do their due diligence to:

A.) Maintain trade possibilities.

B.) Scare a team that really wants him to trade up with Denver so that they get first dibs at their defensive player of choice with Newton/Gabbert both gone.

C.) Make sure that they are not by-passing a credible franchise QB in their own right.

I just hope this doesn't have Ralph's fingerprints on it... Remember, he is the one who sent Buddy out on the road to scout college QBs last fall.

Edited by 2003Contenders

Adam Sheffter reporting that last night the Bills are now seriously looking at Blaine Gabbert. Maybe the FO is playing head games with the 49'rs and Bengals and Cards or they really are looking for a QB early. I thought I knew what was going to happen...guess not.

YES!!

YES!!

HAHA!!! I hear ya!!!

Well...I still think there is VERY little chance they actually take Gabbert...Maybe the hope is to get someone to give up the farm and come up to get him...Maybe Washington? They have a history of giving up farms...And I recognize Boards will crash and every bridge in WNY will be on high-watch alert if they do Draft Gabbert...But man oh man would I be happy... B-)

Nothing wrong with that. They should do their due diligence to:

A.) Maintain trade possibilities.

B.) Scare a team that really wants him to trade up with Denver so that they get first dibs at their defensive player of choice with Newton/Gabbert both gone.

C.) Make sure that they are not by-passing a credible franchise QB in their own right.

I just hope this doesn't have Ralph's fingerprints on it... Remember, he is the one who sent Buddy out on the road to scout college QBs last fall.

I suppose that's the charm of the draft...just when we all think we know what the draft order/picks will be (i.e. Cam Newton, Marcell Dareus, and Von Miller or AJ to Bills), we get confirmation that the Bills are "seriously looking at Gabbert" which basically throws a monkey wrench in our previously well thought out "mock drafts". It seems alot of teams will be clammoring to get a QB in the first round and either the Bills are feeding that fire to get a "sweetheart deal" on a drop down position (more picks) or they are looking to get a franchise QB right off the bat. Not sure I like going QB at 3 (as defensive line is a huge problem right now and I think we all know that), but Gabbert could be the kind of kid that is bright (had great Wonder scores), is big, fast, nice arm, thinks fast, can take a hit, etc. and could really step in mid way through the season and produce. Can't wait for tonight. This is always a great time of the year....so long as the FO doesn't make an unorthodox pick.

32nd against the run and we got people yelling yes to a QB when Ryan threw 30 TD's last year, great!

ryan who?

fitz threw 23 for a full season rate of 28

impressive considering the train wreck of an offense he inherited but still not 30

i have a ton of confidence in chudwalwan to make a valuable pick at three but i have to admit i will be sorely disappointed if they take a qb there. just doesnt seem to provide near the value that they would get out of one of the huge ass dlinemen, green, or even peterson. id rather they wait until 34 and hope a qb they like is there, or simply ride the fitz train and wait on using a high pick for a qb until next season if they feel they havent found their developmental guy by then

32nd against the run and we got people yelling yes to a QB when Ryan threw 30 TD's last year, great!

I'm not in favor of taking Gabbert at 3 (although I think they will if they keep that pick), but after drafting Carrington and Troup last year, its really not a stretch to think that the Bills believe they can get significantly better against the run without using the #3 on defense.

If the Bills are thinking in a broader and longer term in developing a competitive roster and being able to compete against the better teams then it is critical for them to take a franchise caliber qb while they are in position to do so.

As it stands the Bills are closer to being an expansion caliber team than they are a playoff team. That is evident by the fact that they are going to be the third team walking up to the podium to make their pick. The Bills have a lot of needs. They are not all going to be addressed in this one draft. Drafting a franchise qb with the first pick doesn't preclude using the majority of the remaining picks for the defensive side of the ball.

If Gailey and Nix strongly believe that Gabbert is going to develop into a high quality NFL qb then they need to take him and then continue on rebuilding this very hollow roster. Gabbert has the physical tools, the mental capabilities, the work ethic and desire to be the best that he can be. What is there not to like?

No one is telling Schefter anything of any value 24 hours before the draft. Everything you read for the next 11.5 hours is a complete freaking lie.

I was on ESPN.com late last night, and saw a tweet from Adam Schefter saying that it was a 'virtual certainty' that the Panthers will take Cam Newton with the number one pick. Do you think that is the case?

I think (or hope) this is the Bills FO trying to get a team to trade up to #2 for Gabbert so they are guaranteed the defensive player they want will be there at 3 which I hope is Marcell Dareus

I was on ESPN.com late last night, and saw a tweet from Adam Schefter saying that it was a 'virtual certainty' that the Panthers will take Cam Newton with the number one pick. Do you think that is the case?

He tweeted...for what its worth

""Sal Paolantonio called it a "virtual certainty" that the Panthers will select Cam Newton with the No. 1 overall pick.""

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

the tweet i liked was that Carolina Owner loves Cam Newton :worthy:

Didn't see anything about this posted on their site, but perhaps this means that its almost 100% now that the Panthers take Newton :thumbsup:

Think about throwing out some disinformation to other teams that might be interested in a QB, this might cause them to trade up with either Buffalo or Denver to tab Gabbert, if its with Denver that leaves more options for the Bills to get Darius or Miller.

Personally I think Gabberts stock has fallen despite the fact so many teams need a QB, and while Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett have seen their stock rise somewhat. I can see Locker taken in the top 15 and Mallett late in the first, Gabbert where he should be in middle of the first.

I think that's exactly what Carolina wants everyone to know and believe. Rumors are that Carolina's owner likes and wants Newton but they're not going to turn down a bunch of extra picks if someone is stupid enough to trade up with them. The cost of a trading up to a #1 pick is huge.

Didn't see anything about this posted on their site, but perhaps this means that its almost 100% now that the Panthers take Newton :thumbsup:

Think about throwing out some disinformation to other teams that might be interested in a QB, this might cause them to trade up with either Buffalo or Denver to tab Gabbert, if its with Denver that leaves more options for the Bills to get Darius or Miller.

Personally I think Gabberts stock has fallen despite the fact so many teams need a QB, and while Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett have seen their stock rise somewhat. I can see Locker taken in the top 15 and Mallett late in the first, Gabbert where he should be in middle of the first.

Sheffter said this on Mike and Mike (ESPN Radio) this morning right around the time of my original post. Apparently, these ESPN analysts are up all night talking to the various franchises in the 1-10 positions. I think the consensus is that the Bills are in the "cat bird" seat and can either take their pick of defensive studs at 3 or trade down and still get alot of value. I personally think the FO batting their eyes at Gabbert is a ploy to get jealous suitors to trade up (either with the Bills or Denver). Dareus or Miller would be great additions to this team....immediate impact players IMHO.

I really do think Fitz showed enough to be "the guy" for a couple more years. Had he been given the entire year to start, like many have said he could have been a 30 TD guy. We can grab a Ponder-like QB in later rounds this year or next year if Nix feels they can mold him into Fitz's successor. But gosh, we need help on the DEF side. Go LB/DT/DE or even DB. I don't care, so long as he's a playmaker.

If you get a DEF stud and another DEF starter in round two, coupled with the returning guys on OFF knowing Chan's system, and Easley coming back..... I actually think we have a shot at a winning season.

The only thing ranked worse than our offense was our defense. When your constantly down by 20 points everything changes. Still think a rookie QB who doesn't contribute for 2-3 years is a need?

I don't think the issue is what they're biggest need is. Clearly they have a need for an upgrade at qb as well as every position on the front 7. The question is,do you get good value essentialy trading Dareus/Miller and 2nd rd qb (ponder, kapernick, or mallet) for Gabbert and best front 7 player available in rd 2. I honestly don't see it, the guy was not discussed by anyone as a top 5 pick during the season, he only threw 16 tds in 2010, and now because of his "measurables" he's gotten a lot of hype. I feel like I've seen this movie before and I don't like how it ends. Fitz is not gonna make us a contender, but he's good enough to keep us going in the right direction while we develop a second rounder. I'll be completely crushed if we take Gabbert.

This is the type of stuff that scares the chicken wing juice outta my system....If Chan sells the FO on Ponder just because he recruited him out of high school or played a few downs with him in the senior bowl. I hope this story is a prediction for Round 2 and not our third overall pick...taking Ponder with 3rd overall pick will cause the stadium walls to crumble like Jericho.

He would sell more tickets than Miller or anybody else.

I disagree. I think Cam Newton would because people watched him in college and know the type of excitement he can create. I wouldn't be happy if the Bills picked Cam, but I'd definitely be anxious to see what he can do. What has Gabbert ever done in college that would inspire any type of excitement? Would his out route throws at the combine really be enough to sell tickets?

I disagree. I think Cam Newton would because people watched him in college and know the type of excitement he can create. I wouldn't be happy if the Bills picked Cam, but I'd definitely be anxious to see what he can do. What has Gabbert ever done in college that would inspire any type of excitement? Would his out route throws at the combine really be enough to sell tickets?

You know what sells tickets? As Charlie Sheen would say, "WINNING" I think this front office and coach finally realize this. They know how well we do ticket-wise with a decade long horrible team. If we start seriously competing, the few people who have left the bandwagon will come back in droves.

Cam Newton will sell tickets for a little while - but when he doesn't work out for whatever franchise takes him, the anger it will create within the fanbase will do irreparable damage to ticket sales down the line. Donahoe would be licking his chops at the prospect of taking Cam and selling jerseys/tickets. I just hope (and I do think) Buddy is smart enough to take a player that will make the team better now and for years to come.

Sheffter said this on Mike and Mike (ESPN Radio) this morning right around the time of my original post. Apparently, these ESPN analysts are up all night talking to the various franchises in the 1-10 positions. I think the consensus is that the Bills are in the "cat bird" seat and can either take their pick of defensive studs at 3 or trade down and still get alot of value. I personally think the FO batting their eyes at Gabbert is a ploy to get jealous suitors to trade up (either with the Bills or Denver). Dareus or Miller would be great additions to this team....immediate impact players IMHO.

Sorry, but I had to laugh at the "catbird seat" comment. :lol: Fans post that sentiment every single year here and regardless of where the Bills are in the draft order.

OK, seriously, I believe it is pretty remote that anyone is going to trade up to #3 for a variety of reasons. Not that the Bills shouldn't try to work a deal, but...

hahahaha...man some of the stuff people say about Fitz is hilarious. He threw 23...even if you want to project it out you get even more foolish. He ONLY threw 23 because a third of them came in TWO games. Its not like he was out there each week lighting it up. In fact, outside of the Cincy game, he averaged 1 per week over the last 9 games. People need to come to grips with reality of what Fitz's season was...

I am not advocating drafting Gabbert at 3, I personally am not high on him. If Buddy and Chan are, then I am fine with the pick...but I think it may be some ammo to try and encourage a trade so they can then use that ammo to trade back into the first to grab the QB they covet (Mallet, Ponder, Locker, CK)

Edited by Alphadawg7

This is the type of stuff that scares the chicken wing juice outta my system....If Chan sells the FO on Ponder just because he recruited him out of high school or played a few downs with him in the senior bowl. I hope this story is a prediction for Round 2 and not our third overall pick...taking Ponder with 3rd overall pick will cause the stadium walls to crumble like Jericho.

Keep that Georgia Tech pipeline rolling. :devil:

Yeah, the Bills don't have any positive history of trading back into the first.

Fixed.