All Newton all the time

RichardBag

I hope you're good with Christian Ponder in the 2nd or 3rd round, because he's the QB the Bills will draft. No way Newton or Gabbert in the 1st round with pick 3.

I agree that if they don't trade down (which I hope they do), this ^, or something close to it, is the likely scenario. The Bills will try to have their cake and eat it too, by drafting defense first then taking the best QB left on the board in the 2nd round.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I work at home - or travel - so I always have the radio on. Seems like the smoke is clearing among the talking heads....the Panthers and the Bills are going to take QB's - so its either going to be CN or BG.

I am good with either one.

i think when you are picking 3rd in the draft you will get the player you want....no smokescreens required.....if the bills were picking 17th maybe.......i pray they dont take a qb this year.......go bills in 2011

I'm certainly a vocal member of the "Bills need a Franchise QB" camp. However I don't think anyone, or at least none that I recall hearing, think the Bills have to get one this year.

Well, in the post I was replying to the statement was made by billsfreak:

"the Bills have needed a franchise quarterback for a decade and a half now, and if they don't take the chance, drafting the highest in the draft that they have since they took Bruce Smith #1 overall, they never will get a franchise quarterback, which in turns means they will never be serious contenders"

That pretty much sounds to me like saying "now or never- Bills HAVE to get one this year" to me.

Not meaning to pick on billsfreak, I've read similar "this is our bestest chance, we HAVE go use it on a QB" sentiments in quite a few other posts.

Your mileage may vary both interpretation and what you happen to read.

While I certainly do agree that it would be tough to pass up a "franchise" type of a QB, I'm still not sold on CN. Hasn't Buddy said that he doesn't like to go for guys that haven't played 4 years in college? Especially a QB? There must be a good reason for Buddy to say something like that, especially given Newton's past; with transferring from Florida and with his dad... I don't know if this is a risk worth taking seeing all of the other equally pressing needs we have.

Thoughts?

I guess supporting the Maybin pick 2 years ago changed Buddy's philosophy on drafting one hit wonders

too bad he had not adopted that philosophy back in 2009

Interesting comment from Don Banks at the combine:

• According to my informal poll conducted here the past two days, I think it's fair to say that Newton's "I want to be an entertainer and an icon'' proclamation hasn't gone over all that well with NFL decision-makers.

Said one NFL head coach: "That really turned me off when I heard that. That's exactly the wrong message to send. You want your quarterback to be the exact opposite of a guy who's interested in something like that. I can't believe he'd actually say something like that, but that's a guy I want no part of."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/02/25/friday.snaps/index.html?eref=sircrc

I wonder who said that? I can see Mike McCarthy being the guy (he's quoted later in the story about something else).

I hope you're good with Christian Ponder in the 2nd or 3rd round, because he's the QB the Bills will draft. No way Newton or Gabbert in the 1st round with pick 3.

Wasn't your radio on when Chan was talking up Ponder Senior Bowl week saying he wanted him at GT coming out of high school?

I didn't hear the particular comment that you are referring to but it wouldn't surprise me if your dead on it.

Last year prior to draft you heard inklings regarding Spiller and Troup when everyone including myself was thinking OL and as it turned out they were the picks. There are little hints you can pick up with Chan and Buddy. I think there mind is 95% made up before the combine.

Edited by VADC Bills

I'm certainly a vocal member of the "Bills need a Franchise QB" camp. However I don't think anyone, or at least none that I recall hearing, think the Bills have to get one this year. That's the beauty of having Fitz. Fitz is not the problem on the team -- if they don't see a QB they like, Fitz can carry the offense on his shoulders for another season and the Bills can try to find a way to get Luck in 2012. And if they do take a QB at 3 (or 34), Fitz is STILL going to be the starter in 2011 (if there is a 2011) -- as he should be.

The Bills need a QB that can lead them to the Super Bowl. In my opinion, Fitz isn't that guy. But he's good enough to win games and maybe, just maybe, get this team to the playoffs one day with the right pieces around him. And that means that there's no reason for the Bills to rush into picking a QB.

I have Newton on my list. His physical skills alone are worth taking a long hard look at. If Gailey really believes that the future of the NFL is the spread offense (which I think he's right about), then finding a QB who comes from a pro-style offense isn't as important as it was as recently as a year ago. That takes a lot of the risk out of the Newton equation (by that I mean, if they're going to tailor the offense to his strengths, it doesn't matter what offense he came from). But despite all that, I'd be just as happy with the Bills taking Quinn, Fairley, Bowers -- even Gabbart, Von Miller, Jordan, Peterson or Green at 3 because all of those guys seem to have a pretty high ceiling at the next level and a low potential to be busts.

Just my two cents.

Finally someone I agree with. The interesting thing about Fitz is that the players rally around him. You can't say enough about that. I am not sold on him taking the team to a superbowl either, but with a better supporting cast, and a full season as the starter, I believe he would be ranked higher than half the QBs in this league. That's a pretty tall order for any rookie QB. Fitz earned the starting job last year. I just think that getting a replacement for him with the first pick when he just spent a season earning the respect of everyone around him would be a grave mistake. His team mates will tell you that the explosiveness the offense showed last year was all Fitz. He's like a general on the field. Name one rookie that can come in and be that.

I like Newton as an athlete but aside from that, I do not see the qualities I would like to see in a starting QB. Maybe with time he will be. The point is, he won't start this year and the 3rd pick in my mind will be an immediate starter. It'll most likely be defense too, because anyone with half a brain can see that is where we are falling far short of our goals.

I guess supporting the Maybin pick 2 years ago changed Buddy's philosophy on drafting one hit wonders

too bad he had not adopted that philosophy back in 2009

Sorry, Nix was not in charge back in 2009, the philosophies regarding draft approach were set by different people back then.

Sorry, Nix was not in charge back in 2009, the philosophies regarding draft approach were set by different people back then.

Sorry Nix was in charge of all of scouting in January 2009 and the scouting material that lead to the Maybin pick came directly from Nix.

Maybin clearly had a high rating out of Nix' scouting department.

If the scouting were any good, it would have had Orakpo heads and shoulders over Maybin.

Sorry Nix was in charge of all of scouting in January 2009 and the scouting material that lead to the Maybin pick came directly from Nix.

If the scouting were any good, it would have had Orakpo heads and shoulders over Maybin.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/104853-nix-comments-on-maybin/ :devil:

Sorry, but we're talking philosophies here, not scouting. You scout base on philosophy. You can see clear differencies in Marv/Jauron/Brandon's approach and Nix's approach. M/J/B went after lots of junior players because they thought they would develop further as players and individuals. Nix wants more tested players coming from College.

If Nix tells his scouts to focus first on players that meet certain criteria the scouts will do as they are told.

Sorry, but we're talking philosophies here, not scouting. You scout base on philosophy. You can see clear differencies in Marv/Jauron/Brandon's approach and Nix's approach. M/J/B went after lots of junior players because they thought they would develop further as players and individuals. Nix wants more tested players coming from College.

If Nix tells his scouts to focus first on players that meet certain criteria the scouts will do as they are told.

That has nothing to do with the actual scouting reports.

The actual scouting reports had to say he was worth a 1st, or Ralph, or Levy or Jauron or Brandon or whatever former\present Buffalo Bill coach or staff just went Gung-Ho over Maybin and ignored the scouting reports.

I tend to doubt that.

Listen I actually think Nix\Gaily may not be a horrible FO combo, especially considering the Bills have burned many coaching trees and most quality candidates want to avoid Ralph's team as much as possible.

But I still haven't tricked myself into believing Nix was innocent in the worst pick in Buffalo Bills history. There is plenty of blame to go around and the ghosts of Buffalo Bills past aren't the only ones that get the blame.