All Newton all the time

RichardBag

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had come around to the idea of Cam as the number 3 overall pick, but seeing his press conference worried me.

While everyone seemed eager to trash Mallett for refusing to talk about drug issues, Cam seemed to get a pass for refusing to address his prior troubles at Florida. Cam also gave a number of nonsensical answers using words and phases he didn't seem to understand. His quote about how he got through the pay for play accusations with teammates "due diligence" was particularly strange.

I know football players don't have to be geniuses, or great public speakers, but I don't know how anyone could watch Cam's press conference and not be at least somewhat concerned about his abilities to think quickly on his feet and represent a franchise.

Edited by DC Grid

I had come around to the idea of Cam as the number 3 overall pick, but seeing his press conference worried me.

While everyone seemed eager to trash Mallett for refusing to talk about drug issues, Cam seemed to get a pass for refusing to address his prior troubles at Florida. Cam also gave a number of nonsensical answers using words and phases he didn't seem to understand. His quote about how he got through the pay for play accusations with teammates "due diligence" was particularly strange.

I know football players don't have to be geniuses, or great public speakers, but I don't know how anyone could watch Cam's press conference and not be at least somewhat concerned about his abilities to think quickly on his feet and represent a franchise.

He's a 21 year old kid who took 5 minutes to clear up a ridiculous overreaction to a statement that was twisted out of context by a story hungry media. He fumbled over some phrases, but whatever.

I thought he said the right things about being lucky to have this opportunity and working to be the best football player possible.

The whole thing started over something so stupid, that I'll give his "clarification" statement a pass because he shouldn't have to clear it up in the first place.

Apparently early media reports may disagree

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/26/cam-newton-explains-icon-quote-then-sounds-like-a-star/

His statement moved him up to the #1 slot.

You better start to worry how many picks Buddy will be giving away to take Cam away from Carolina.

He's a 21 year old kid who took 5 minutes to clear up a ridiculous overreaction to a statement that was twisted out of context by a story hungry media. He fumbled over some phrases, but whatever.

I thought he said the right things about being lucky to have this opportunity and working to be the best football player possible.

The whole thing started over something so stupid, that I'll give his "clarification" statement a pass because he shouldn't have to clear it up in the first place.

Or maybe he already think he is the "best next thing" and won't put the best effort to be best.

Like every rookie, they're coached to say the things they say, the PC way. Maybe he doesn't feel like lying and his speech comes as insincere as it comes, often times the nuggets of what he really think come out, like the icon and entertainer bid came out.

I believe the guy is one big act, good for him that he is trying to get the best deal for him, bad for the team that believes said act.

I'm not sure what turned you away during that interview, but he said all the right things. I thought he was well spoken and confident. He was well prepped for this and came out a better prospect because of it.

Of course, it has no bearing whatsoever about his ability to read defenses or play the position ...

Still, I know a 7 year old that can use "due diligence" correctly in a sentence.

He read a prepared statement (prepped by his agent/media consultant/speech write, etc.) The guy is heavily managed and coached from a PR perspective. I wouldn't put much if any stock into something like this as a sign of his character/tactfulness/work ethic etc etc.

Possibly the most indepth, thorough article on Cam Newton available. Everything you could possibly want to know, is here. And in depth! Great read and a must read for Cam fans or fence sitters. Git "IT"!

Link

"At Blinn, coaches raved about the way that Newton spent time with his receivers, helping them to learn to adjust their routes when a blitz is coming, teaching them to recognize hot routes when they see certain coverage's and helping them learn the audibles. During his year with Auburn, I've been told that Newton was one of the first in and last to leave the weight and film rooms and was constantly trying to learn to become better. That shows on field as his game by game improvement was spectacular. Newton also talked at length about how meticulous he plans for each game watching not only film of opponents, but also of himself and of NFL and college passers he admires such as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Andrew Luck: "I search other quarterbacks for clues, for pieces I can make my own. If I feel there's a trait that I don't have in my game, I'm going to try to take it from another quarterback that I saw and apply it to me."

But perhaps the most interesting comment on his work ethic comes from his LT Lee Ziemba who said that during winter workouts Newton so impressed his offensive teammates in the weight room that they named him – a QB - to a five-man tug-of-war team to take on the defense. The offense won. Ziemba went on to say that: "Players put a great deal of stock in how hard a teammate works when there's no coach forcing him to do it. But Cam was out there in the rain, throwing passes on the weekend when we were at the lake. He was dragging receivers out there with him. That kind of work ethic prepared our guys to follow him."

Wow!! Speechless. We have to git this guy!! Dude's gonna be a stadium filla...Cam "No MO Blackouts" Newton. Get those season tix's locked in...Im seeing waiting lists folks.

if true this puts Russell comparisons to bed. I was hoping D, but if Cam has got his head on the way this indicates then maybe he is the pick to make...

Newton spoke numerous times in the third person. As informed people know, that's *never* a good sign ...

Why So Serious, thinks that Buffalo needs a person that speaks in the 3rd person. This will make Why So Serious happy to listen to interviews.

Why so Serious thinks its like drafting two people in the spot, Cam Newton, and the person that is "going to continue to focus on Cam Newton, to try to make him the best person he can be."

It may even make Bell feel like he is protecting the father he never had and work even harder to become an elite LT (right before he leaves town.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmqTWSt_84I

Cash Newton had "IT"...but he returned it, the stolen laptop he bought....the other persons exam paper he put his name on, and got kicked out of Florida for cheating on exams 3x times.... 3x schools in 3 years

Sure why not at #3, he can follow Willis(nothing to do in Buffalo)McGahee- Marshawn (gun toten) Lynch- Travis( its not my kid) Henry into the Bills hall of shame

Cash Newton had "IT"...but he returned it, the stolen laptop he bought....the other persons exam paper he put his name on, and got kicked out of Florida for cheating on exams 3x times.... 3x schools in 3 years

Sure why not at #3, he can follow Willis(nothing to do in Buffalo)McGahee- Marshawn (gun toten) Lynch- Travis( its not my kid) Henry into the Bills hall of shame

Or he can follow Jim (coke head, woman beating) Kelly, Bruce (cokehead, DUIs) Smith, Cornelius (cokehead, rape accusations) Bennett, and Thurman (Alcoholic, Gambling addiction) Thomas into the Hall of Fame