All Newton all the time

RichardBag

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree that Fitz is not a Top Tier QB and simply just above a "serviceable veteran". I also believe that most of the other QB prospects mentioned in this draft class will not be any better.

My point wasnt that Fitz is so good. It's that guys like Locker, Dalton, Kaepernick, Devlin, Ponder, etc. wont end up being any better than Fitz. So picking them in the 3rd or 4th is just a waste of a pick that should go to Def Front 7. We'll dump 3 years into developing one of these guys, and after all that work, they'll just be where Fitz is now. Not worth it.

The Fitz situation puts us in a position where, the only way to improve the QB position is if we think there is a Franchise QB available, and if that was the case, we'd pick him at #3.

Gailey JUST said the same exact thing on Sirius. Check out jboyst62's thread.

Side note: Locker, Ponder and Mallett are not 1st round projections. Gabbart BARELY is. It's basically going to come down to 2 things: 1. How Newton does in the interview which Gailey spoke about on Sirius, and 2. If Newton is still available when we pick at #3.

While I agree with you that you NEED a franchise QB, there is nothing saying that Mallett, Locker, Newton, or Gabbert are not that guy. I fully believe all 4 will be selected in the first round. All of them have been talked about in the top 10 previously, and while I know that is a huge stretch, the combine and interview processes will tell us a lot about where these QBs are going to fall into place. Between the Titans, 49ers, Bills, Dolphins, Vikings, and several other teams looking to fill the QB position in this draft, I dont think these 4 QBs are going to make it out of the first

http://www.sbnation.com/hamsandwich/2011/2/24/2010022/cam-newton-has-got-his-nfl-combine-swagger-on-a-trillion

Slap.

"I'm just hoping that karma doesn't wreak havoc here, sending him to Buffalo, and ending all the fun before it ever gets started. Because God knows he'll be terrible if the Bills draft him."

By Andrew "Not So" Sharp.

While I agree with you that you NEED a franchise QB, there is nothing saying that Mallett, Locker, Newton, or Gabbert are not that guy. I fully believe all 4 will be selected in the first round. All of them have been talked about in the top 10 previously, and while I know that is a huge stretch, the combine and interview processes will tell us a lot about where these QBs are going to fall into place. Between the Titans, 49ers, Bills, Dolphins, Vikings, and several other teams looking to fill the QB position in this draft, I dont think these 4 QBs are going to make it out of the first

I cant disagree with that, because frankly, who knows what will happen.

I will say, I think the QB run depends on what the Bills/Panthers do. If Carolina or Buffalo grabs Newton, it will most likely start a run on QBs in the first. Which is great because it will also mean that some of the highly rated DLs fall to us in the second.

The ideal playout would be just that. Newton interviews well and we pick him at #3. Cardinals-Titans-Dolphins-Vikings-etc start clamoring for QBs, and then we get a top DL talent in the 2nd.

I pray, I pray...

:sick:

Not sure if someone posted this yet, but if anyone seriously admires Jerry Jones or the environment that organization fosters - they need help.

I'm sure he's just lobbying for the place that spends the most $$$. He's not the only guilty party in that respect. I hope the new agreement finally puts an end to huge payoffs and contracts for rookies who have done nothing in the pros ala Aaron Maybin who had the audacity to hold out for more money and has shown nothing but a whole lot of weakness on the field.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/msn/02/22/11/Cam-Newton-Jerry-Jones-knows-how-to-find/landing_cowboys.html?blockID=415725&feedID=3742

:sick:

Not sure if someone posted this yet, but if anyone seriously admires Jerry Jones or the environment that organization fosters - they need help.

I'm sure he's just lobbying for the place that spends the most $$$. He's not the only guilty party in that respect. I hope the new agreement finally puts an end to huge payoffs and contracts for rookies who have done nothing in the pros ala Aaron Maybin who had the audacity to hold out for more money and has shown nothing but a whole lot of weakness on the field.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/msn/02/22/11/Cam-Newton-Jerry-Jones-knows-how-to-find/landing_cowboys.html?blockID=415725&feedID=3742

bluff him and scoop up the boys 2nd rounder along with next years 1st or 2nd

Good luck with this Newton thing. As long as you're having fun and enjoying your team - then have at it! I'm still going stay low key and promote drafting "D" at 3!

Agreed. Winners are built on the D side of the ball. A good D can cover a questionable O. As we have seen, a bad D does nothing to support a questionable O.

I thought about starting a new thread about this. Prolly no one of any significance associated with another team will be on here but I'm not taking any chances with my silly notions.

If Chan and Buddy think Cam is the man then so be it and I will trust their judgement, especially Chan's on this. But I must say that after how Chan proved once again how he can coach up a qb yet again and amplify his qb's talent, that more teams must realize by now that perhaps he knows his schitt and can analyze a qb's potential.

Chan can use this potential observation to lead teams to think Cam is our target (if we don't want him and want someone else to slide to us.) Or if Chan and Buddy really do want Cam then I suppose they will talk him up to a limit.

Offseason is slow, just throwing out random thoughts.

In no way or form am I advocating Cam as our future QB pick. Just speculating as to what the Bill's smoke screening might be up to.

Edited by Pilsner

I thought about starting a new thread about this. Prolly no one of any significance associated with another team will be on here but I'm not taking any chances with my silly notions.

If Chan and Buddy think Cam is the man then so be it and I will trust their judgement, especially Chan's on this. But I must say that after how Chan proved once again how he can coach up a qb yet again and amplify his qb's talent, that more teams must realize by now that perhaps he knows his schitt and can analyze a qb's potential.

Chan can use this potential observation to lead teams to think Cam is our target (if we don't want him and want someone else to slide to us.) Or if Chan and Buddy really do want Cam then I suppose they will talk him up to a limit.

Offseason is slow, just throwing out random thoughts.

In no way or form am I advocating Cam as our future QB pick.

Nothing against Chan, I like him a lot. Nothing against anyone in the organization personally, either.

I do not think Gailey has great odds at being here in 2 or 3 years. With our track record of coaches alone I say this. Other variables, including the possibility of new ownership and management could change things. Of course, if Chan does start to see the door closing behind him I imagine he'll do like many coaches and drop his cards on the table putting anyone on the field to see if there is a difference. I just worry that we draft Newton, continue to struggle and choose to go in another direction without Gailey being stuck with Newton.

...and my god I realize how pathetic that thought is, but I had to say it. Its been in my head a while!

I work at home - or travel - so I always have the radio on. Seems like the smoke is clearing among the talking heads....the Panthers and the Bills are going to take QB's - so its either going to be CN or BG.

I am good with either one.

I work at home - or travel - so I always have the radio on. Seems like the smoke is clearing among the talking heads....the Panthers and the Bills are going to take QB's - so its either going to be CN or BG.

I am good with either one.

I think your first statement is probably accurate.

I'm far from convinced that either team would consider Gabbert with their first pick though.

I think your first statement is probably accurate.

I'm far from convinced that either team would consider Gabbert with their first pick though.

While I certainly do agree that it would be tough to pass up a "franchise" type of a QB, I'm still not sold on CN. Hasn't Buddy said that he doesn't like to go for guys that haven't played 4 years in college? Especially a QB? There must be a good reason for Buddy to say something like that, especially given Newton's past; with transferring from Florida and with his dad... I don't know if this is a risk worth taking seeing all of the other equally pressing needs we have.

Thoughts?

Huh?? I just read Chan's comments he doesn't sound all that impressed about Newton. It could be a smoke screen, that they want others to think they don't want him so no one will try and jump over them to #2, but if you're quoting the "talking heads" the #1 or 1A head don't sound all that interested. Cna and Nix are the only heads thta matter. Guys on ESPN can tell you who the Bill's should take, but that means little.

As far as Chan's comments go, glad to hear as those are many of the same fears I have about Newton. Can't see the Bill's taking him @#3 to use as a "wildcat QB"

While I certainly do agree that it would be tough to pass up a "franchise" type of a QB, I'm still not sold on CN. Hasn't Buddy said that he doesn't like to go for guys that haven't played 4 years in college? Especially a QB? There must be a good reason for Buddy to say something like that, especially given Newton's past; with transferring from Florida and with his dad... I don't know if this is a risk worth taking seeing all of the other equally pressing needs we have.

Thoughts?

Both Nix and Gailey have commented on the QB/Cam Newton situation.

I don't even attempt to read between the lines of their comments. Both Nix and Gailey are pretty straight shooters but that doesn't mean that they aren't also being coy.

In addition, both have made conflicting statements if you look at everything they've said about drafting QBs and other players over the last year.

Witness the "proven track record" comments (which you reference).

And yet those comments seem to be contradicted by comments about the fact that "It" (the advent of more and more spread/spread option QBs in the NFL) is increasing and whether a team wants to be ahead of the curve on that "trend."

So between coyness, conflicting statements, and the self-admission that their evaluation of Newton is not yet complete lead me to believe that we have zero way of guessing at their intentions…contrary to what many posters have expressed on this board.

It's very possible in fact, that the Bills still haven't decided what to do with their first pick. I happen to believe that this is the case.

Huh?? I just read Chan's comments he doesn't sound all that impressed about Newton. It could be a smoke screen, that they want others to think they don't want him so no one will try and jump over them to #2, but if you're quoting the "talking heads" the #1 or 1A head don't sound all that interested. Cna and Nix are the only heads thta matter. Guys on ESPN can tell you who the Bill's should take, but that means little.

As far as Chan's comments go, glad to hear as those are many of the same fears I have about Newton. Can't see the Bill's taking him @#3 to use as a "wildcat QB"

I thought the title of that D&C article was terribly misleading. Chan might well be unimpressed with Newton but that's not what his comments said (at least to me). It was more that he's actually impressed with the little he's seen (he said he has the ability to be a drop back passer etc) but hasn't studied him yet.

Sounds more like a man who hasn't made up his mind to me ... of course, I could be reading into it too.

I'm fine with taking Newton. I'm fine with passing on him. There are about 8 guys that I'd be fine with at 3. Which makes me pretty confident that they will get SOMEONE who can help this team turn the corner.

Consensus is building among who? Talking heads that have no insight into what is happen at One Bills Drive?

Well - among the talking heads of course.....Banks, Schefter, dude from Gr55 who is at the combine......plus it seems to make sense to me. Both the Bills and Panthers need a franchise qb, a franchise qb means more to a football team X2 than any other position, and there appears to be 2 franchise QB's that are there - ergo 1.Newton 2. someone else 3. Gabbert - or other way around.

i am not advocating the pick - I just think that arrangement seems to make sense.

Edited by baskin